+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gotikiller's Pop Splitter 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982 27 May 08)

A quick update - just ran a brief hands off as Hawaii, splitting in 1836 and 1844 - things ran much more normally. Britain and Prussia fine, France quieter as per usual but certainly not silent etc. Interestingly, the Spanish really got going for a change.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar1982
    Well, I guess the RR building will forever be a mystery to most of us

Please report back your future observations
    I split, on average, roughly every 10 years, depending on circumstances of course. Some games RR building is great. Some games it seems to lag. I can't find a real rhyme or reason to it, although as OHgamer has pointed out in the past other nations seem dependent on the policies of the nation that your playing at times, and they sometimes do not want to build RR until your nation becomes laissez-faire.

I like mysteries! No game is the same.

Just my 2 cents.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." -- Joshua 24:15

Does this utiility split all of the POPs specified, or only the one with 40,000+?

Can you specify the split point? Say 20,000+?

Thanks
    Ecce Macdonaldus Senex, qui fundum habet. E-I-E-I-O.

Quisque comoedus est.

Victoria's Plastic Surgeon OHgamer's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

In Columbus OH, but dreaming of the White Isle.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgian Dubh
    Does this utiility split all of the POPs specified, or only the one with 40,000+?

Thanks
    I believe it will only set to split at 40K and above. I don't believe the value currently can be set lower.

though perhaps that's a functionality he could add in.
    2014 will hopefully allow me to be more active with Paradox games than the last few years

I am a little unclear on what this mod actually does, and I'm hoping someone can clarify.

My understanding: This program can be set to automatically split any (or all) of the POPs in a given country (presumably your own) once they reach 40k.

Is that understanding correct?

If so, what's the benefit? My understanding is that there's a significant efficiency hit for every worker block that's less than 40k working a factory or RGO.

<affixes the "Hello! My name is __N00B__!" sticker on his shirt>

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Not sure where you get the idea there is an efficiency hit. Smaller pops are less efficient than larger ones, but it's a tiered system, not mathematically proportional

to quote the holy grail that is Vickywiki

Headcount Efficiency
    1 – 499 33% efficiency
    500 – 19,999 50% efficiency
    20,000 – 49,999 75% efficiency
    50,000 – 100,000 100% efficiency
    So if you have a 40K pop producing at 0.75 efficiency and split them into a 30K and 10K pop, you keep your 0.75 efficiency in the smaller POP, and get a new POP working at 0.50 efficiency, resulting in 1.25 efficiency overall.

Why is it this way - to make smaller industrial/potentially industrial nations (like Belgium, Sweden, Netherlands, the Latin American nations) have a shot under good human management to be able to make a run for the level of a Great Power. if it was a strictly linear system (and this i've tested) then these smaller nations would be about as playable as Bhutan. So in this case gameplay value for a wider variety of nations is why its done.
    2014 will hopefully allow me to be more active with Paradox games than the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by OHgamer
    Not sure where you get the idea there is an efficiency hit.
    I got it from that VickyWiki bit you quoted. I interpreted it to mean that the only way to get a factory working at 100% efficiency (aside from other modifiers like Railroads and Industry tech) was to make sure all the POPs working that factory were 50k or higher.

Apparently that's a misunderstanding on my part, however.

So, to further clarify, does this mean that there's a baseline factory efficiency, and POPs just add a bit extra? Like, a factory may have a baseline efficiency of 40%, and filling it with 5 POPs of 1k each would bring the actual efficiency up to 42.5%?

If not, how does efficiency work?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Sgian Dubh

Thanks
    I believe it will only set to split at 40K and above. I don't believe the value currently can be set lower.

though perhaps that's a functionality he could add in.
    Not a bad idea, I'll see if I can figure something out
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki
    Details about the splitter

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Unction
    I got it from that VickyWiki bit you quoted. I interpreted it to mean that the only way to get a factory working at 100% efficiency (aside from other modifiers like Railroads and Industry tech) was to make sure all the POPs working that factory were 50k or higher.

Apparently that's a misunderstanding on my part, however.

So, to further clarify, does this mean that there's a baseline factory efficiency, and POPs just add a bit extra? Like, a factory may have a baseline efficiency of 40%, and filling it with 5 POPs of 1k each would bring the actual efficiency up to 42.5%?

If not, how does efficiency work?
    I'm not 100% sure, all I do know is that a 30K Pop and a 10K Pop will produce slightly more than a single 40K Pop, all other factors being equal in a factory (infra level, literacy, the factory's own base output efficiency).

I'm not 100% sure, all I do know is that a 30K Pop and a 10K Pop will produce slightly more than a single 40K Pop, all other factors being equal in a factory (infra level, literacy, the factory's own base output efficiency).
    Slowly, slowly I gain understanding.

Thank you very much for all your responses so far. They have allowed me to hack my way through the underbrush of ignorance.

I don't get it, I used the pop splitter for a few games now, but for my last 2 games it doesn't work anymore. First with Ottoman Empire, I save the game, exit, open pop-splitter, select file and begin. It does say "Complete!" but when I load the game again, the pops aren't split while some are over 80k. Tried several times, ended up having to split every pop manually in my 150 million population Ottoman Empire for the whole game. Now I just started a game with China, immediatly tried splitting the pops.. but no result, pops don't split. Is there some kind of requirement thats needed for it to be able to split?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2

You need to make sure that you specify which countries you want to split, and what pop types to split.
    The default config file, doesn't include China in the country list. And its only the clerks craftmen farmers and labourers and slaves that are split in the ottoman empire
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki

Ah thanks, I guess China isn't included as default because it'd slow down the game too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty86
    Ah thanks, I guess China isn't included as default because it'd slow down the game too much?
    no, it's generally not included because unciv nations can not expand their RGOs, so China would have quite possibly a majority of its population unemployed. And while peasant landlessness was an issue in the late 19th C, it was never at that kind of level.

so if you split CHI pops before CHI is civilized, you will really cause it major dysfunctionary problems - worse than even what it experienced historically.

but as Dietmar has noted, you can edit the config file to change which nations get split and which kinds of pops get split. Open it with notepad, make changes and save.

New version is up, download can be found at the bottom of the first post.

It's now possible to define the POP sized used, when the program determines when to split. It also possible to define what percentage of the original POP is split off from the original to form a new POP.

I've written a small manual, which is supposed to descripe how you should use this, it's included in the new download.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Great work! Thanks.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

Hm, I do not know why, but it splits into 0's for me. I first noticed that the 47k farmer POP in Uralsk (my Russian game) vanished after I loaded the split game. Curious, I split again from the earlier save. And, well, if the before-split population of Prussia was of about 18 million, the post-split was reduced to 15 million. I just picked a random AI nation I knew would have unsplit pops and wrote down the numbers.
    Revenge of the Bear! A BeAARhug just for you!
    Weekly showcase 11/05/09
    on well deserved rest
    "Isn't that Britain's worst nightmare you've got going there? Russians -- and Chinese -- in India. I tell you, it's like having a global tea shortage." - Irenicus

The popsplitter used to work just fine for me in VIP R .1 but with .2 it throws up a bunch of errors when loading the save file for what look to be military units.

Thats very weird, I've been using it extensively in the beta, what version are you using?

EDIT:If it's version 5.3 or 5.4 could you the please pm me so I can get the save thats causing problems

I've found a major bug in version 5.4.

Damn me for not testing it properly.
    Because of a stupid little interger / double calculation error. Most POP sizes got reduced to zero when the POP was marked for splitting.

Thanks very much to Mishgan for pointing it out.

I've uploaded a new version (5.5), and I've tested it on Iceland and everything seems to work properly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast