+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Useless ocean?

MM Dev Team
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria 2
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Talking Useless ocean?

In a geat thoughts of "what perversion should I do now" my attention focused on the sea provinces.

At first, I've replaced history file "1274 - Coast of Britanny.txt" by "183 - ile-de-france.txt":
    1. At game start in nation selection map this province assigned to France. Nice! Started a game as France
    2. In the game the province seems to be OK - included in the Ledger, have floating taxes.
    3. Holding mouse over it shows that it is mine.
    4. By right click I was able to build army. But I could not select this unit. Neither the province. But unit could be selected by the butoon in right upper button though. And moved to neighbour province. But not back.
    5. All building graphics was in the center of the province. Clicking there caused CTD.

"Nice!" I thought. And removed strings about city and population.
    6. All works fine! City is still drawn in the center but no more CTD on clicking. Maybe I wasn't that precise? Or it was a COT that caused CTD?
    7. Buildings still shown in the Ledger in this province (so in the savegame).

"Nice!" I thought. And removed everything, but the owner, controller, add_core and gave it to nonexistant (but defined) nation.
    8. I've started the game as this nation. Everything seems working - I've got monarch, capital and can do any diplomacy with others.
    9. Diplomacy you say? How about some war? And declared war to Brittany. And immidiatly was considered as loser -100% warscore. But they could not annex me as could nothing capture. So do rebels, which appeared shorty and started to stay next to my army doing nothing.

Conclusion: so, sea provinces are quite useless except for maybe one thing. Thay can store information like cores and probably flags and modifiers, that can be read in triggers in events using province id. And I guess, using ID - is the only method.
    They can also be used as a global variables/counters operating with "native_hostileness" and "native_size".
    Last edited by Uglyr; 06-01-2008 at 13:48.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    95 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    If one can really store information there, it's neat
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

just a small thought

(apologies - this post is about what I thought this thread was about rather than what it is about)

I think there are far to many see provinces especially in the extreme south of the map. After all the projection is distorting areas enourmously. I am pretty sure that the area of the globe represented by two or three of those southern sea provinces is smaller than one of the sea provinces on the equator.

Hint: Gigau, keep this in mind the next time someone begs you to include their neighbourhood as a province!

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    95 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbug
    Hint: Gigau, keep this in mind the next time someone begs you to include their neighbourhood as a province!
    Indeed, thanks
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

This looks fascinating if hard to understand. I'm sure Alvya will have a field day with it, though.

Also, Gigau: can you please make Toronto into its own province for your map...?
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Over 1,100 events and decisions for over 30 religions
    Wiki
    Version 1.7.10 Standalone (October 17, 2014) or Steam Workshop

Path of Adventure: A mod like no other
    A procedurally-generated adventure quest for EUIV
    Version 1.7.02 Standalone (September 21, 2014) or Steam Workshop

It would be interesting to see if making a sea zone into a nation's core would affect the chance of the AI sending navies there. In EU2 seas could be cores and a nation's AI file altered (if only we could do that in EU3...!) to give higher priority to defending cores. I used this in my AI Project mod to try and make Denmark and the Ottomans more likely to block their straits.

MM Dev Team

Can someone check if "random_empty_neighbor_province" works with sea provinces?

MM Dev Team

One more good stuff: it can be used to run handsoff game to observate how things doing without you. Just give some far off sea province ownership to "unexisting" country, choose it, start a new game and relax - noone can do anything to you.

I suppose you could call the new nation Atlantas LOL.....

there used to be a hands-off mod but the link got broken i think. This is a better way to do hands-off tests anyway though as there is no way that you can get annexed.

one idea, In the board game 'axis and allies', you could blockade straights if you owned all the land around them so that no ships could get through. would this sea-zone owning thing work in order to keep ships out? if so, can cores and ownership be added removed by event for sea zones?
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

John 8:32
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

MM Dev Team

No - ships can pass through sea-owned provinces without any diifficultes.
    Edit: Just saw the creaion time of this comment: 12-12-2007, 01:01
    Last edited by Uglyr; 11-12-2007 at 23:26.

MM Dev Team

Sea provinces can also be used as a global counters. Here's example (draft) that counts and checks number of catholic provinces in a country:
    Code:
    country_event = { 
    	id = 28305121
    	trigger = {
    		NOT = { ai = yes }
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		days = 1
    	}

title = "Count"
    	desc = "Province counted"

option = {						
    		name = "Great!"
    		random_owned = {		
    			limit = { 
    				religion = catholic 
    				NOT = { has_province_flag = counted1 }
    			}
    			set_province_flag = counted1
    			1700 = { native_hostileness = +100 }
    			1700 = { native_size = +100 }
    			capital_scope = { native_hostileness = +100 }
    		}
    	}
    }

country_event = { 
    	id = 28305122
    	trigger = {
    		NOT = { ai = yes }
    		1700 = { native_hostileness = 300 }
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		days = 1
    	}

title = "Catholics >= 3"
    	desc = "by ocean"

option = {						
    		name = "Great!"
    	}
    }

country_event = { 
    	id = 28305123
    	trigger = {
    		NOT = { ai = yes }
    		capital_scope = {  native_hostileness = 300 }
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		days = 1
    	}

title = "Catholics >= 3"
    	desc = "by capital"

option = {						
    		name = "Great!"
    	}
    }
    Last edited by Uglyr; 06-01-2008 at 14:17.

As Ubik once told me, I will tell you
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik
    Congratulations! An excellent example of lateral thinking...

MM Dev Team

Thanks!

Have you tried using variables in these provinces? I am finding that it is a pain to use non-existing countries to store variables - basically, the only way to check for those is from the owner scope of an existing country, using a specific tag.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

MM Dev Team

Hm... I haven't done anything with variables or anything under IN. Basicly I don't know how to use them...

MM Dev Team

Do anyone has any short tips on how variables are used?

My work with variables was on EU:R, but assuming they work the same...

Variables are country scope, as far as I could tell. To do global, you could easily create a variable country and assign all globals to that country. They're pretty simple to work with. There are three commands, all of which of the form:

X_variable = { which = var value = n }

where X is one of:

- set - sets var to the given value
    - change - adds the given value to the current value of var
    - check - check the value in a trigger

The only thing to note is that check_variable seems to work differently than any other check trigger I've seen. If you do check_variable = { which = var value = n }, it is checking for whether the value is strictly greater than n, where most triggers check for greater than or equal to. Similarly, NOT all that checks for less than or equal to. So, for example, check_variable = { which = var value = 3 } checks if a variable is 4 or more, while not that checks for 3 or less.

There's a file here where I made heavy use of variables. AFAIK, that code is fully functional and should be more or less the same for IN.

In IN, variables are either country or province scope.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

MM Dev Team

Looks like it works fine. Here is what my code was:
    Code:
    country_event = { 
    	id = 28305121
    	trigger = {
    		NOT = { ai = yes }
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		days = 1
    	}

title = "Count"