• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess the port and city icons are placeholders for now because, as far as I can make them out, at least the port icons are copies of the EU III ones.

Maharaja said:
Maybe they spoke a Turkic language, but language and ethnicity arnt neccecarily related.

Well, the Scythians absolutely spoke a Iranian language.

But don't get me started on Turkic language versus ethnicity. Turks haven't existed as a race for most of the last two thousand years, if not more, because even when they were in East Asia, they heavily intermarried with the Mongols.

But yes, Tuna, that's why I said "deep in Asia," because the Turks were far, far away, totally off the map, until, as you said, the Hunnic invasions, which included peoples of many ethnicities and language groups. The Scythians were an Iranian people, even though the Persians saw them as Turanian and thus not Iranian, if I remember correctly. That's beside the point, though.

The major ethnic split in this time is between the Indo-European peoples and the Semites. Other language groups weren't really around on a regional scale. Still, such a broad divide wasn't really something people were aware of, I don't think. It was more a matter of Greeks versus everyone else, Romans versus everyone else, and so on.

Veldmaarschalk said:
My guess:
Illyrians (blue with red flag)
Macedonia (red flag with star)
Thracians (light blue flag)
Epirus (white with yellow flag)
Aetolian League (light green flag)

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. ? could be Galatians (Gauls) too
4. Agree
5. Agree

Illyrians with Greek sprite? :(

hildoceras said:
they are, I think. Well not yet "Galatians" as they just invaded the place in 280 BC but Celts that have just coming from the Greece invasion and the sack of Delph.

Precisely ;)

The only reason for using the term Galatians was because that was what they ended up being. If you check my ealier post, you'll see that I did mention that Thrace would be proper as they hadn't cross Bosphorus but had entered Greece.

And the sprite looks rather Germanic, possibly the Celtic sprite or some German/East German sprite.

When was the sack of Delph? :confused:

Filip de Norre said:
When was the sack of Delph? :confused:
led by Brennos in 279 BC
actually it appears that the celts were repulsed from Delphi and they might not have looted the city (whose treasury was already much depleted by earlier greek loots :eek:o ). I was misled by Strabo who argued that the Volques Tectosages kept in Tolosa (actual Toulouse, south of France) part of the Delphi loot they brought back.

Brennos in wiki
details on the fail attack on Delphi
alternate story with Delphi sacked
relation from Strabo about the Volcae tectosages, see chapter 13

hildoceras said:
led by Brennos in 279 BC
actually it appears that the celts were repulsed from Delphi and they might not have looted the city (whose treasury was already much depleted by earlier greek loots :eek:o ). I was misled by Strabo who argued that the Volques Tectosages kept in Tolosa (actual Toulouse, south of France) part of the Delphi loot they brought back.

Brennos in wiki
details on the fail attack on Delphi
alternate story with Delphi sacked
relation from Strabo about the Volcae tectosages, see chapter 13

Well, but we agree that Thrace possibly is some Gallic tribe and that the Gauls were in South Eastern Europe at the start year of the game?

yes, surely. It is said that some of the elements that went in Greece came from Gaul where the population had been growing quickly suddenly, but most came from the balkanic area

My interpretation of the alerts:
funalerts.jpg

Or maybe:
(Shameless ripoff)

Edit: Oh, broken link
never mind

Last edited:
Stop it, this is looking too good, I'm beginning to salivate!

The 3D character models are much improved.

The technology system and incorporation of country-specific effects seems especially atmospheric.

Secret Master said:
With the tech system being similar to Vicky, I can tell that both the developers and modders are going to have a lot of fun with this aspect of the game.

SNIP!

Interesting - I haven´t played Vicky Revolutions. Combined with the fact Rome will model social classes in province populations this should mean that events modelling various forms of social unrest could be written - slaves vs. their masters (slave uprisings a la Spartacus or Libyan revolts in Carthage), freemen vs. aristocracy (the Gracchi or intrigues concerning the balance of power between assembly and the elders), aristiocracy vs. elected officials with dictatorial/royal ambitions (Marius, Sulla, Caesar, the Barcids) etc.

You guys should change the Turk sprite so the guy has a turban and a little hookah. Other than that, I like how its turning out. I thought the angles on the EUIII sprites could slice ham, good to see that's not a problem this time around.

Last edited: