• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Surgünoglu said:
Yeah, comagoosie... We Turks were in Asia at this point. Pretty deep in Asia.

Yes 'we were' in all likelihood predominantly forest peoples in classical antiquity, since the Eurasian steppes were inhabited mostly by Indo-European (Iranian to be more precise) nomads until the arrival of the Huns. I recall Scythians being portrayed as Turks in Turkish school textbooks, what a joke :)

Surgünoglu said:
But still, I see what you mean. The Thracians appear to have their own unit--they would be Thracians, right?--and that is awesome.

Or Gauls, on their way into mid Anatolia to conquer and settle.. (the area was later called Galatia because of the Gauls inhabiting the area)

Thrace seems to be correct spot at this point as the invasion/colonization had begun, but they had not crossed the Bosphorus AFAIK yet, when the game starts, so my guess is "Galatians"

And look at the sprite.. I guess thats the Gaul/Celtic sprite, it's not at all very Greek...

My guesses on the 5 alert icons.

* Buildings or perhaps some civic issue.

* Military victory/triumph. Laurel wreaths were given as a sign of victory first by the greek to athletes and poets and later by the romans to victorious military leaders. All these can be considered leaders so my second guess would be military leader.

* First thought was military access but why would you want to warn about that? Second thought was something moving over borders... probably people. Maybe it means units not in an owned provinces

* Province event. But it seems to general. I see someone suggested that it meant a landlocked province... but why would you want to give a warning about that?(its not like its going to explode ;) ) Also considering that the current nation is macedonia which has no unconnected or landlocked provinces to begin with(to my knowledge) thats higly unlikely. This icon is the worst of them all it basically tells me nothing from just looking at it.

* Slaves. I know slaves in this period werent neccesarily darkskinned but its the first thought that entered my mind. I see everyone else thought it had to do with characters... maybe im just weird ;)

great models, especially the macedonian one. the royal blue look excellent!
i think the middle icon trade related, 2 arrows crossing borders from different directions would not make sense for a martial icon. 2 arrows clashing would make sense.

tuna said:
Yes 'we were' in all likelihood predominantly forest peoples in classical antiquity, since the Eurasian steppes were inhabited mostly by Indo-European (Iranian to be more precise) nomads until the arrival of the Huns. I recall Scythians being portrayed as Turks in Turkish school textbooks, what a joke :)

Maybe they spoke a Turkic language, but language and ethnicity arnt neccecarily related.

Wow. The graphics look amazing, and the tech system from vicky with a CK style character system...

Oh Happy Days

1) Senate Problem
2) Low Prestige/Army Loyalty
3) Troops in Foreign Lands
4) Governor Slot Open
5) Advisor Slot Open

Pishtaco said:
The tiny cities and ports are cute. It looks like the more detailed map is the EU3 one zoomed out, and they've left the old 3d objects as placeholders.

Hadnt even noticed those. Yes the map is actually quite welldone.

Pishtaco said:
The tiny cities and ports are cute. It looks like the more detailed map is the EU3 one zoomed out, and they've left the old 3d objects as placeholders.

I like the microcities and ports, better than the oversized ones. but there should be (surely they'll change that I guess) marked with a flag or an icon over it just to guide your sight. But this size is nice.
I would even reduce the size of the graphics for armies, as far as they have a well-visible banner over it and the clickable area is userfriendly, of course.

Swamp Rat said:
Hadnt even noticed those. Yes the map is actually quite welldone.

Jonas rulez!! :D

alvaro said:
I like the microcities and ports, better than the oversized ones. but there should be (surely they'll change that I guess) marked with a flag or an icon over it just to guide your sight. But this size is nice.
I would even reduce the size of the graphics for armies, as far as they have a well-visible banner over it and the clickable area is userfriendly, of course.

I think it's reasonable for a map to show cities. Cities should be more important in a Rome game than rocks and grass, which is what the map is about at the moment.

The cities somewhat too small. In EU3 they are indeed a little too big... but here they're much too small.

Cities and ports are really miniscule. They should be expanded a bit.

Another issue: What is that Kingdom with Greek Sprites above Epirus? Is it Illyria? I can hardly call them Hellenic.

Sure, they are pretty small but we have to keep in mind that they look to be just small villages. or like the port, I don't know how an 300BC greek port should look like but that icon is just four trunks grounded in the shore.
Maybe if we see a developped city/port we could realize the real aspect of the thing.
at the end of the day the important thing is to have it marked by your banner (a big one) and a big enough clickable area.

Can someone with more knowledge than me make out which states/nations/factions are shown on the screenshot?

With the tech system being similar to Vicky, I can tell that both the developers and modders are going to have a lot of fun with this aspect of the game.

For those unfamiliar with Victoria: Revolutions, one of the neat things about technologies being granted in this way is that certain technological inventions only fire if your government is set up in a certain way, or if you have other inventions discovered as well. For example, the there are a string of inventions that can fire once you discover Ideological Thought; however, they are divided up into various ideologies. So, if you want the conservative ideological events to fire, you have to discover this tech AND have a conservative political party in power. In other cases, you cannot build certain kinds of naval vessels until you have more than one discovery and invention in the naval category discovered, and since the discovery process isn't linear.... well, you get the idea.

This tech setup also allows for both beneficial and detrimental inventions based on both techs you discover and the status of your faction/country/republic/empire. In Victoria, some cultural inventions end up only having negative effects or mixing negative effects with good effects. The cultural technology Revolution and Counterrevolution, in addition to its other effects, doubles the rate at which Communists and Reactionary POPs revolt if they are unhappy (once all inventions fire). Except in a few very specialized cases, that is a bad thing. Then you have economic technologies such as Collectivist Theory that, in addition to everything else they do, fire the dreaded The Incumbent Self-Destruction of Capitalism event that results from "inventing" Karl Marx. There are also a few cultural inventions tailored just for dictatorships, monarchies, and other autocratic governments that help them spread propoganda in support of their regimes, something that democracies and constitutional monarchies don't have access too.

I suspect that Johan and his fellow Evil Geniuses (read as Developers) will make use of the evil they learned when making Victoria and will make us pay for the new technologies we get with a few counter-balancing cultural evils. I also suspect that modders are going to have all kinds of fun as well.

Eärendil said:
Can someone with more knowledge than me make out which states/nations/factions are shown on the screenshot?

My guess:
Illyrians (blue with red flag)
Macedonia (red flag with star)
Thracians (light blue flag)
Epirus (white with yellow flag)
Aetolian League (light green flag)