• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LuckyDane said:
According to Johan:

So they won't just be technology boosters... for instance you'll probably have a marshall who will both affect land technology progress and increase your manpower pool and/or lead your armies in the field. At least that would be my guess.

Sounds similar to advisors in EU III.

Letsee... (those icons)

*tech gained
*war declared
*troops moving across border
*lost/gained a province
*province without governor, or other governor issues (ie your new taken prov without a governor?)

Nice information on the tech. Thanks Johan and crew!

LuckyDane said:
Except they only boosted technology, or increased succes chance/efficiency... I think it is more similar to the CK system, with each "advisor" increasing a stat with many modifiers.

"For each type of technology you can appoint a character to a position in the government, where his skill will amongst other things affect the progress in this field."

Sounds just like a military advisor in EU III.

But there is also the "amongst other things" portion of the quote which could mean anything.

So those discoveries are country-specific, not province-specific? In any case sounds very good. And I must say again that the map actually looks great.

Sonny said:
But there is also the "amongst other things" portion of the quote which could mean anything.
Exactly, this is what I was referring to. I think advisors in EU: Rome will have more effects than in EU3. A High Priest was mentioned in an earlier diary as having an influence on whether omens will be positive or negative, and I don't think there is a seperate High Priest and religious technology advisor - more likely the High Priest will also affect the progress in religious technology. Similarly, an army commander will probably both lead armies in battle and affect the progress in land technology, perhaps also increase the manpower generation and so on.

This also leads me to think there are character stats corresponding to each of the positions, like in CK. Perhaps political/rhetorical skill = civics, piety = religion or something like that.

Discoveries sounds a bit like the way the invention side of tech worked in Vicky, which is very cool.

Senate
Civic/tech space thingie
no idea
no idea
no governor

So the Tech system is somewhat like in victoria

This technology system sounds fantastic. The 'discoveries' idea is ingenious, and fits well the indirect 'grand' scale the game has. Most importantly, it suits reality: innovations rely a lot on the people, and a governor's prowess has limited effect; with this new system, the governor has to stimulate others to innovate, rather than being able to affect everything. This makes important the people's ability to progress. While the governor may be the player's genius incarnate, history doesn't have modern players influencing it. The people need to be able to innovate, and the focus should be around what they can achieve. I think this system is a brilliant way about it.

I hope progress in one area will be able to affect progress in another. All the areas are interlinked, and the intellect of one usually ends-up coming to another. Look at Plato: he was a mathematician, yet what he's famous for is his contribution to philosophy. Outpourings of intellect affect all aspects of life: look at the Greeks and the Scottish enlightenment.

2Coats said:
Flip the monitor on its side?! ;)

:D
no, it's true the view looks rotated in the minimap.

Once again i can only bow before the work of the team :p

The new way to discover technologies sounds really interesting. And as always does the game look better then the previous update :p

Yay Rotatable map! And those armies look beautiful, and Greece looks well worth the conquest :p