• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello everyone. We are located in a city that had some snow chaos last night, luckily none of the team-members got stranded anywhere, so we could have our weekly Vindaloo happily today.

The last week we have seen a lot of underlying code getting finalised, including civil wars & important character attributes like corruption, popularity and loyalty. The interface team have been busy finalising the look of the character information windows and the province view. Important interface lessons we learned from NA has been implemented as well, including building queues and disabling event options for the first seconds.

This week we are introducing our 2d-artist yonaz, also known as Jonas Jakobsson, to you all. Jonas joined us in the middle of this summer and has been an important addition to our team. Jonas has been doing the interface artwork, as well as the map that covers most of the screenshots. While our programmers have done a great job at an improved map engine, only Jonas great art skills have made it possible to look as good as it does.

rome_dd_5.jpg

This screenshot shows the greek heartlands, and also shows the alert icons. Wonder if anyone can identify what they are all for?

I thought today would be a good time to tell you about the technology system of Rome.

There are five categories for technology, land, construction, naval, civic and religious. Each of these has a set amount of levels, kind of similar to have Eu3 and Victoria works. However, there are no immediate effects from getting a new “level” of technology as in those games. For each type of technology you can appoint a character to a position in the government, where his skill will amongst other things affect the progress in this field. The other major factors affecting the progress are Civilization Value of a province and the amount of Citizens present.

So, if technology levels does not give you immediate effects, what good is it then to have any form research. Well, there is a thing called “discoveries” which triggers during the game, depending on various factors. Different discoveries are enabled for different types of countries, depending on their triggers. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will get a discovery as soon as you have reached the desired technology level.

Code:
phalanx_charge = {
	trigger = {
		land_tech = 18
		capital_scope = {civilization_value = 60}
		has_country_flag = hellenistic_warfare
	}
	effect = {
		#no enabling effects
	}
	heavy_infantry_offensive = 0.03			
}

irrigation_invention = {
	trigger = {
		construction_tech = 1
		capital_scope = { civilization_value = 5 }
	}
	effect = {
		irrigation = yes
	}
	#no modifiers applied.
}

the tech system sounds quite interesting. and the map looks better every week :D

Good tech system. So better than previous EU series. :)

Besides graphics, tech system looks promising too. As I said before - the more Victoria in Rome, the better ;) Here it seems tech development will work a lot like in Vicky (however, without immediate tech level effects, but with a concept of discoveries still present).

Just one thing that raises question is choosing kind of "ministers" for each tech development "department". Somehow this concept can be translated into Roman republic reality (well, somehow), but I can hardly imagine it fitting into i.e. tribal federations. Would be odd to see a tribal chief in a company of his naval or construction advisor. Well, we'll see.

Last edited:
how random is the trigger of discoveries?
nice screen BTW. we have now 2 black squares at the botom that we can speculate about :D

I think Paradox has a real winner with Rome. I am very excited about this release. The tech system sounds very interesting and the map and unit graphics are excellent. This game might actually wipe away the disappointment of RTW.

Johan said:
rome_dd_5.jpg

This screenshot shows the greek heartlands, and also shows the alert icons. Wonder if anyone can identify what they are all for?

My guess: (from left to right)
eitehr you are homeless or Senate problem?
Leader problem?
some sort of boundary crossing penalty?
either no coastal connection, or just no connection to other owned lands
the no governor guess was a good one, i think

Dietmar1982 said:
My guess: (from left to right)
eitehr you are homeless or Senate problem?
Leader problem?
some sort of boundary crossing penalty?
either no coastal connection, or just no connection to other owned lands
the no governor guess was a good one, i think
building / election, birth or choice of leader/people migration in one of our province/province to check -governor?-/new character in court

- Senate news (mission ?) or related action to take
- Election or attribution of another honour to some characters
- Signal that troops are cross-border (either enemy troops in own territory, or the reverse, or both)
- Possibility of starting the construction of a new building in one or more province or changing its status.
- Some vacancy to fill in one or more function/governorship/etc

I think lack of a governor is second from the right. First from the right is lack of an advisor.

kristoff said:
Just one thing that raises question is choosing kind of "ministers" for each tech development "department". Somehow this concept can be translated into Roman republic reality (well, somehow), but I can hardly imagine it fitting into i.e. tribal federations. Would be odd to see a tribal chief in a company of his naval or construction advisor. Well, we'll see.
According to Johan:

Johan said:
For each type of technology you can appoint a character to a position in the government, where his skill will amongst other things affect the progress in this field.
So they won't just be technology boosters... for instance you'll probably have a marshall who will both affect land technology progress and increase your manpower pool and/or lead your armies in the field. At least that would be my guess.

Nice tech info, I like it, finally a pic from Greece, good one