• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Its becoming a Wednesday tradition to have a proper Vindaloo before writing the weekly diary, and today’s was mild and spicy. I’d say we are about two of them from the start of the beta.

This last week, we have been busy improving the game, and the team is very excited about the future of this project. We have finalised our design of which event-series to include in the game, and have now started implementing them all. Those will truly create a rich and rewarding game experience, while giving flavor to the different types of countries that can be played. Playing a tribal state will be really different than what a republic will be. The interface guys have been finalising more screens, and also adding in various forms of alert notifiers.

One recent addition to our team, is miqe, also known as Mikael Olsson. He joined us this summer to do primarily 3d graphics for the games, and have had extensive experience developing games before joining us. Mikael has a keen eye for detail and has done a rather impressive job making our armies and navies come alive in Rome. His skills in keeping deadlines without sacrificing any quality is worth its weight in gold to our development team.

rome_dd_4.jpg

Here’s a screenshot of the economy interface as it is in the current alpha version of the game.

I’d thought it would be good to talk about the economy-system in some detail today. What we have is a system with underlying nuances and complex strategic options, but is also easily understandable. There are three different types of income in Rome, the 3 T’s. First of all is tax, which is the basic income from the land. This value depends heavily on the amount of slaves in a province. Slaves are one of the three different parts of population in the game. The other two are citizens and freemen, which provide advances and manpower. This delicate balance determines the strength of a state, as while a long and bloody war may give a lot new slaves, the amount of freemen may drop too low to create strong enough armies for the future. The second type of income is tribute, which is the diplomatic income from states that have been forced with the sword or the tongue to give an amount of money to you for their own good. The final type of income is from trade routes, where each route provides some income to a country, besides the strategic benefits.

I'm sitting in school working, having a break I though I should check if a new developer's dairy had arrived, but no. But when I updated the page I saw that you just had posted it :cool:

Nice timing Johan, and now I actually will start to read. :D

the balance between citizens, freemen and slaves sounds like it'll be quite an interesting dynamic :cool:

Myth said:
the balance between citizens, freemen and slaves sounds like it'll be quite an interesting dynamic :cool:
¨
It actually sound kind of like the balancing needed in Vicky.
I like It :cool:

Edit: just noticed the advise in the bottom of the screen.
Great, is this feature also used in the other screens, like:
"The People of Britain needs to be enslaved"

Edit 2: Or is it a hint to all of use, that you are doinging great and we should use some of our money on you :rofl:

Verenti said:
Trade Routes? Bring it.
As I said in the last thread, its amazing that people havent gone all orgasmic from this. Trade routes has been wished for since Eu2.

The map is absolutely fantastic!
About trade routes, I hope we'll have means to interact with enemy's ones, to damage their economy, or maybe diplomatically force/convince them to trade with us...

Mulliman said:
As I said in the last thread, its amazing that people havent gone all orgasmic from this. Trade routes has been wished for since Eu2.
They are COT lovers.

Especially with this shot, the map is beautiful.

fantastic, I can't wait to play this!

Flooper X said:
fantastic, I can't wait to play this!

What he said.

Iberia!!!!
And this time I can count 5 rivers. Probably more....

I notice that the rivers are not province limits. Will they influence army movement, trade/income and tecnology flow?

An observation. It appears that the mini map shows the main screen version as if the world was round.

Great stuff!

This ones for the team, Johan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1pXsJp_go

Sing along....

Vindaloo Lyrics By Fat Les

Where on earth are you from?
We're from England
Where you come from
Do you put the kettle on?
Kick it
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Bonjour
Nah Nah Nah
Monsieur
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah
We're England
We're gonna score one more than you
England!
Can I introduce you please
To a lump of Cheddar Cheese
Knit one, Pearl one
Drop one, Curl one
Kick it
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah
We're England
England!
Me and me Mum and me Dad and me Gran
We're off to Waterloo
Me and me Mum and me Dad and me Gran
And a bucket of Vindaloo
Bucket!
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
And we all like Vindaloo
We're England
England!
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
And we all like Vindaloo
We're England
England!
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Nah Nah Nah
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
And we all like Vindaloo
We're England
England!!

:D

293 papyrus? :confused:

Johan, this devdiary hardly gives details, mate...other than the pop like system for the population (big :) ). are they going to be 3 pops per province or 3 types of pops per provinces with a variable number of each type?
what are going to be the switches the player will have to manage the economy?
inflation, any?

spanish provinces looks pretty balanced this time. I'm eager to see how Gades' province looks like :)
BTW, any special rules for straits?

alvaro said:
spanish provinces looks pretty balanced this time. I'm eager to see how Gades' province looks like :)
BTW, any special rules for straits?
With the spanish lobbying last time, I'm sure Iberia will have at least as many provinces than Gaul :D