• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General_Grant

Field Marshal
75 Badges
Jan 13, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
mexgcpart1oz4.png

_____________________​

Dear readers, welcome to my new AAR. Since I began to play the Paradox games I was amazed by the fact than you can begin a game in the deep of the Medieval times, and to finish it in the 1950's passing by several titles.

This AAR is going to spread on 3 Paradox titles, respectivly EU3- Napoleon's Embitions, Victoria without revolutions and finally, Hearts of Iron II- Doomsday, obviously with the nation of Mexico.

This is my first AAR out of the HoI2 world, and the timeline spend playing on EU3 is going to be very short, 10 years maximum. This first part will cover the birth of the nation of Meixico, from its first days to its full independence. Of course you realise than this no-so-mega campaign will be shorter than those featuring European nations starting in the Medieval era.

As there is unfortunatly no converter designed for EU3 to Victoria games, the 'conversion' to Victoria will be made trough modding. As EU3 its well know for its lack of historical events and possibility to recreated the history easily (espically if its done by the AI) there will be only 2 different outcomes to this first part:

1. If Mexico is liberated from the Spanish colonial forces by 1821, something than wasnt done at this date, i allow myself to begin my Victoria game with the borders gained during th war of independence, and right governement type if there is a change regarding it.

2. If Mexico is only liberated partially, if I had to scede provinces to Spain to win the peace or if Im destroyed completly, the Victoria game is going to start in our timeline Mexico.

Now, enough of discussion, let me present you our glorious nation in its very first days of existence.

________________________________________________​

Historical background​

The whole Spanish colonial Empire, already in economical decay, is revolting against its European master. The colonies of Colombia and Chile already proclaimed their independence, in a vast uprising against Spain wich is eased by the conquest of this once proud Empire by Napoléon I Bonaparte, emperor of the French.

The history of independent Mexico begins in September 16, 1810, while the independence forces led by the catholic priest Miguel Hidalgo marched in the capital of the viceroyalty of New Spain. The Independentist movement is quickly gaining support from the population of the entire colony, and soon, an army is organised to fight the opressor.

hidalgoja8.png

Miguel Hidalgo

By December, the independentists controled several cities in the central plateau of Mexico, and established their capital in the city of the same name. A total of 7.000 Mexicans are forming the army of this new nation, opposing the 8.000 Spanish colonial forces.

mexicocy2.png

The situation of the Mexicans independentist forces is more or less a desesperate one. The Spanish outnumber the Mexicans a little, but the rebels have a better knowledge of the territory. On the other hand, this same territory is almost entirely controled by the colonial forces. The former viceroy of New Spain can still hope for reimforciments, its unlikely than they will arrive quickly considering the war in Spain itself where the French army is fighting an open rebellion and a British army. The Royal Navy is the unchallenged master of the seas since the Battle of Trafalgar. But when Napoleon will bring the Iberian peninsula back to order, because its unlikely than he will fail to, Spain won't waste time sail forward to the New World to bring her colonies back to their right place.

This is why Miguel Hidalgo and the revolutionary forces have to be quick: the rebels' main target are the strategical coastal cities of Veracruz and Acapulco. Those cities, the only ones to be fortificated, are vital to the colonial forces' as this is where their supplies arrive from. The region of Tlaxcala is also important as it is the center of nearly all trades in Central America.

objectivesfn4.png

Black line represent priority
Red line represent the vital area

The map above represent the early priorities for the revolution- Hidalgo's army will abandon its position near the Rio Grande to rescue the menaced capital of Mexico. After, the troops shall be reorganized and will march toward the goals established by the independentist generals. When the most important cities will be secured, the troops shall be divided to liberate the northern and southern provinces still controled by the colonial forces.

On the diplomatic front, there is still hopes. The young United States of America, even if not supporting us in men and weapons, is diplomatically on our side, and on the side of every nation than wish to liberate itself from the colonial powers. France loosed almost all its interests in the Americas after Napoleon sold Louisianna, and are very busy in Europe. They are not a menace. The United Kingdom is in favor of anything than weaken France's allies, and are pleased to see rival colonial empires to crumble as their did. The revolutionary governement of Mexico have very good relations with the other independentist movements of South America, like Chile and Bolivia. When their own country shall be liberated, its sure than the Mexicans shall support their brothers in their struggle for freedom.

independencedp7.png

That's it, I hope than you enjoyed that first update of this grand campaign than only presented the starting situation. :)

Last edited:
Of course I'll be following this, Viva México Cabrones!!!, go on and send the Madre Patria all the way back across the Atlantic.

Hello guys, as we've agreed with my Quebecer fellow, I will take in charge the background part of this Grand Campaign, as I myself lived some years in Mexico.

A short history of Mexico

Mesoamerica (stretching from Sinoloa state in nowadays Mexico to Central Honduras), due to his particularly fertile soil, was the seat of several and quite advanced civilizations during the Pre-Columbian era. Among them, we can hold up as examples the Olmecs, with their famous big heads statues, who invented the zero concept years before the Indians; the builders of Teotihuacan, the largest city of pre-Columbian Americas, which was already a heap of ruins when the Aztecs arrived; the Mayas, with their very advanced skills in astronomy and calendars; and, at least, the Aztecs, who built Mexico-Tenochtitlan on the waters of Texcoco lake, and managed to forge a huge empire including Central Mexico...Then the Conquistadores came.

800px-Chichen-Itza_El_Castillo.jpg

The "Castillo" of Chichen Itza, Maya city in Yucatan.

Already settled in Cuba, the Spanish explorers began the reconnaissance of Yucatan peninsula in 1517, two years before the campaign led by Hernan Cortes and his 600 men in the Aztec Empire. The Amerindians saw the Spanishs with a mixing of fear and fascination, due to their radiant armours, storm-like rifles and horses, that didn't existed in Americas in these times; with such an aspect, they believed that the Spanishs were gods seeking for their rightful lands.

After only two years of campaign and less than one thousand of soldiers, the Aztec Empire was conquered and offered to the Spanish throne. The other civilizations followed quickly during the XVIth century, even if the Mayan city of Tayasal managed to resist until 1697. Forced to convert to the Catholic religion and forget their quite bloody cults, the Amerindian population was massively enslaved. The bad treatments alarmed some Spanish missionaries, like Bartolomé de las Casas, who managed to convince the Church that Amerindians had a soul, thus avoiding them the status of slaves (by the same occasion, the slavery of coloured men began, as, according to the Spanish theologians, they didn't had one). But despite of that, the Amerindians remained under the yoke of the local governors, and due to the diseases bringed by the settlers, their population quickly decreased, becoming a minority within their own territory.

Lienzo-tlaxcala2.jpg

An extract of the XVIth Century Lienzo Tlaxcala, showing the missionnaries in Mexico.

The Viceroyalty of New Spain was established in Mexico, with his capital, Ciudad de Mexico, erected on the ruins of the Aztec capital Mexico-Tenochtitlan; for instance, the cathedral of Mexico is built on the ruins of the Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan. Several explorations begun, such as these of Coronado in the American southwest, searching for the golden city of Cibola. It mainly included the area between California and Costa Rica, plus Florida and Caribbean. Most of the powers lay on the hands of the caciques, local landlords who lived with their huge farms, cultivated by not-officially-enslaved Indians. New Spain was also important due to his position on the crossroads of the Spanish empire: the gold coming from the Philippines arrived in Acapulco, and from there, was send in Spain through Veracruz, along with the incomes of the New World. The colonization also went well, quickly putting the Indians in minority, and encouraged mix between Europeans and Indians: even the "true" Spanishs came in minority, and most of the New Spanish population was made of "Mestizos".

250px-Mapa_Virreinato_Nueva_Espa%C3%B1a.png

The viceroyalty of New Spain, in red. The orange territory was claimed but not controlled.

Inspired by the American War of Independance (1776-1783) and the French Revolution (1789), most of the Creoles began to dream of a Mexican independance, with the Spanish taxes becoming more and more expensive and the obsolete administration which denied any power to the Spanishs born in the colonies. Taking advantage of the French invasion of Spain in 1808, more unrest begun in the colonies, even if the independantistes were divided on the nature of the future regime: a democratic republic, inspired on the United States, or a monarchy ruled by a member of the Bourbon family? After all, the current system was enough good, as it stood for three centuries, and the only problem was the non-representation of Creoles in politics...

The situation came to an explosion then Miguel Hidalgo, liberal priest in the town of Dolores, avid nonconformist and reader of banned French literature, himself Criollo (of unmixed Spanish descent born in Mexico), begun to plot with the captain Ignacio Allende a future uprising by the native and mixed-blood peasantry against wealthy Spanish landowners and aristocrats. He had the idea of an united Mexico, without distinction of races. Then Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez, the wife of the Magistrate of Querétaro, alerted them that the Spanish intelligence was about to arrest them, on September, 16 1810, Hidalgo issued a proclamation of independance and call for insurrection, known as the "Grito de Dolores" (Dolores Cry), which he ended by a reference to the religious symbol of Mexico, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and the legitimate king of Spain, Fernando VII, who was overthrown by the Frenchs and replaced by autocratic juntas in both Spain and colonies.

180px-Miguel_Hidalgo_y_Costilla.jpg

Miguel Hidalgo.

Hidalgo dropped his own pretence to loyalism in favour of outright support for Mexican independence. So, what began as a conservative reaction turned into a popular, largely Indian, anti-colonial revolution. The army then moved on Guanajuato, the provincial capital, where Antonio Riano, the governor, attempted to organise a defense. But he was only able to assemble some 500 men, Creole and Spanish, against an Indian force now estimated at 20,000 strong. The town fell to onslaught on 28 September, during which many of the defenders were massacred.

The rebel army then moved south-east towards Mexico City, close to which General Felix Calleja had placed some 3000 cavalry and 600 infantry at the pass of Las Cruces. In the ensuing Battle of Las Cruces the tiny defending force faced 80,000 rebels. The Royalists managed to hold off the advance in two days of hard fighting, assisted by the fact that Hidalgo's men had scarcely any firearms. But in the end they were defeated by sheer weight of numbers, and 200 survivors of the battle fell back on Mexico City, now virtually defenceless. As he did not have confidence in the discipline of his newly recruited army and did not feel he could control looting or useless violence, Hidalgo did not press his advantage, and the rebels moved away from the capital, to the north-east in the direction of Valladolid, present-day Morelia, and from thence on to Guadalajara...

...IN OUR TIMELINE!

Here, you can see that Hidalgo finally decided to attack Mexico City and seize it! Now that the capital of New Spain is under independantist control, everything can happen in Mexico...Even if the independance is won, what side will triumph? The Liberals and their republic, or the Conservative and their support to a Bourbon king?

VIVA MEXICO!

180px-Mexico.DF.Coyoacan.MiguelHidalgo.Statue.01.jpg

A statue of Miguel Hidalgo in Coyoacan, near Mexico City.

If this is really that bad please tell, so we won't waste time with it. :eek:o

-I-

December 1810 to July 1811

As planned by Hidalgo and his generals, the first army of Mexico began its march toward Mexico to rescue the threatened capital. The force of 6.000 soldiers was slowed by the hard landscape of the central plateau, and when they finally arrived in sight of the Mexico valley the battle was already raging in the suburbs of the capital.

The local garrison of 1.000 was supported by two hundreds of peasents armed with anything than could delay the Spanish. The arrival of Hidalgo took the colonial troops in a bad situation, as they where now trapped between the city full of militas and the rebel army. The Spanish general decided to abandon the battle and to return to Acapulco in the hope of further reimforciments from the motherland.

In the southeast of the capital, a lone regiment sucessfully liberated the province of Tlaxcala. Even if its unlikely than a thousend of men can defend the entire region the control of the rich city will provide the rebels with desesperatly needed funds.

mexicoep6.png

Mexico at the begining of the new year 1811​

Decided to fully exploit its small victory, Miguel Hidalgo continued his march forward to the Pacific. The garrison city of Acapuclo was his target, its strategical importance making it a key point to control. The remnents of the army than first attacked Mexico city in December putted a mediocre fight against Hidalgo's troops as they where harassed by local militas during their retreat.

hidalgoza2.png

The siege of Acapulco begins with an assault against its walls​

The fierce attack against the coastal city cleared about 9/10 of the defenders of the city, the rest protected it fanatically, preventing the tired Mexicans to enter. Hidalgo resigned himself to begin a long siege.

---​

In the North, the Spanish colonial forces regrouped themself quickly. They decided to seize the rebel capital whatever the cost, and started their 2nd attack against the city. The defenders of the city where surprised by the assault, but putted a good fight against the Spanish forces. Some soldiers even repported than the king of Spain himself, the brother of Napoléon, was leading his troops from the mountains surrounding the capital. Even if it was the case, he had not the great military skills of his brother. The invasion force was beaten without Hidalgo's troops.

mexbattle1xg2.png

The 2nd Battle of Mexico

jos1qu9.png

Did Napoleon's brother Joseph really led the Spanish troops?​

---​

The 7 of April, Acapulco was liberated by Hidalgo. The general-priest latter led his army toward Mexico again as a third wave of Spanish troops was in sight of the capital.

mexicobattle2gv3.png

Another battle for Mexico city, another Spanish defeat.​

A few days after, several provinces of Central America declared an open rebellion against their old rulers. Supported by the governors of the British colonies of Belize and Mosquito, the local population raised a small corp to liberate the region. In the late days of June, the Mexican revolutionaries where controling all the Pacific coast from Mazatlán to Panama, where the borders of Mexico reached thoses of the young republic of Colombia, also fighting for its independence on the exemple of its northern neighbour.

june22fb2.png

Mexico in June 22, 1811​

colombiaoe2.png

Colombia is giving a good fight against the Spanish. Even if we can't do anything to help them, we wish them best of luck.​

Last edited:
Nice progress against Spain, there's still plenty of work to do, but you're advancing, hope this war doesn't take as long as the real one.

Thanks Capibara, its good to know than at least one person read what you write.

Its almost insulting how this AAR is disregarded. What do it lack? Mexico is not original enough? :confused:

If this catch so little attention i'll skip this part very quickly so I can write in more interested forums.

Last edited:
I read it, I just don't post often in AARs. I leave spamming to others. :p

And yes, I like your AAR. Happy now, forcing me out of my comfortable lurking status? ;)

hmm... a Mexico Eu3 AAR.. haven't seen one of those yet.
good luck.

please don't stop this AAR, even for one reader is worth continuing it

Capibara said:
please don't stop this AAR, even for one reader is worth continuing it

Of course I will, don't worry.

Update comming soon (in an hour or so). :)

-II-​

During the late 1811 summer the Spanish and Mexican armies maneauvred around Mexico city- from its northern base, the colonial army moved to its stroghold of Yucatan. The North of Mexico, now only defended by Spanish flags, was about to be reconquered by 3 small groups of soldiers send in the vast deserts to convince the inhabitants of the regions to join the young nation in its war of independence.

northzf1.png

On his own side, Miguel Hidalho led his army to the gates of the port city of Veracruz, a city than can be considerated as a main entrance gate to Mexico. After two months of attritional siege, an assault was made against the city.

veracruzar6.png

It was now a matter of time before the rest of the Spanish forces could be booted out of the country. Forcing the ennemy army to retreat southward, the Mexican army won an important victory near the city of San José, in the province of Costa Rica. After this ultimate defeat, the Spanish army retreated to Panama, where a Colombian army was ready to take care of them.

isthmustz4.png

1812ul6.png

Year 1812 rises on a self-confident Mexico​

The city of Merida, in the Yucatan, was 'liberated' by a British army than immediatly handed over the control of the city to its rightfull owner, Mexico. The was almost the last city to be still holded by Spanish, and Campeche fell a few months later.

campecheiz7.png

Now in a more comfortable position, the Mexican governement of Miguel Hidalgo decided to give a small boost to the exepnsion in the northwest. Before the United States or Great Britain would claim the region, a small expedition was send to the savage lands of Oregon, where two settlements where established. Even if the Oregon territory was claimed by what has once been New Spain, never a true effort was made to take the control of the region- now it was done.

westcoastmv7.png

-II-​

In January 1813, the campaign of liberation of the North was almost over. Relations with the United States of America could be established. In late January, during the same week, Americans and Colombians diplomats arrived in Mexico city to discuss of a possible alliance between the young nations of that continent in liberation.

allianceei1.png

Both offers where accepted​

In February 1813 the entire Nation of Mexico was liberated. Nobody tough than in 3 years, Miguel Hidalgo could liberate the whole country. But he did, and now had to force Spain to recognize the independence of his country.

mexiconm1.png

Two offensives where planned against Spain: in the north, in Florida. In the south, in Venezuella. With both colonies in Mexican hands, the Spanish capacity of wage war in the Americas would be threatened. A small navy was also created in Veracruz- all the ships than could serves as transports or warships for the Mexican navy would be placed under control of the state until such measures would not be needed anymore.

The US governement accepted the Mexican army to walk trough its territory in order to reach the Spanish colony of Mexico. Soon the invasion of the little defended territory will begin.

The yankees allowing the mexicans to invade the spanish colony Mexico? Preposterous! :p

Great Job! :D, just two years to kick the Spaniards out of Mexico, that is magnificent, now take their remaining colonies and let the Mexican Empire start to grow!

btw, what type of goverment did Paradox gave to Mexico?

u should invade cuba after building a navy.who knows u could let it go as a vassal and cuba will be its own country

mad general said:
u should invade cuba after building a navy.who knows u could let it go as a vassal and cuba will be its own country

I don't think there's Cuba as a nation in the game.