• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
jade rat said:
Radu said:
The fact that he has risen though the ranks from 1st LT, to General of the Coalition forces in Iraq.

He graduated of his class at west point- he knows what its like to be a solider, he stresses the need to teach solders how to fight in any circumstances, and he is a reformer. As much was Patton's career was excusing that he fought in a world war.

PHP:
1) Peacekeeping operations in Bosnia-Hertzegovina

Known as a ex-war zone turned into success

PHP:
2) Peacekeeping ops in Haiti

Again, it was a war zone- and involved divisonal groups of combatants.

PHP:
3) A babysitting Kuwait operation

its not a baby sitting mission when your regiment takes well over 400 POWs and launches the longest air assault in history and tilted the balance of the war- it was a ingenious plan and brilliantly executed.

4) The Iraq 2003 war.

PHP:
Only one of the enumerated is a conventional military operation, and even that one is a "shoot fish in a barrel" exercise

So i guess it shouldn't count as experience?

PHP:
Just what the heck is so brilliant about him
?

His plans and strategy has cut US monthly loses to its lowest ever- as well as civilian casulties and violent innocents. He is one of THE top dogs when it comes to counter insurgency warfare and has devastated Al-queada's ranks.

Tips are up dramatically, the Iraqi government is stronger and more stable- ever since he took command things have gone from a stalemate- to near victory.

PHP:
There's absolutely no way Petraeus is going to be the next Kurt Student for the simple reason that proficiency in counterinsurgency and proficiency on a conventional battlefield are two different things.

I think Peterus is in a class of his own, conventional warfare and counter insurgency both are hard- but counter insurgency deals more with lines of supply long term strategy and popular support.

I think he proved himself well in his previous conventional engagements, and his strategy for Iraq and how well its working only shows how in depth his strategies are.

PHP:
In-game skills and traits refer to conventional battles.

I think it condenses everything into 'over all battle effectiveness of the leadership'

PHP:
The final piece that shows you have no idea what the heck you are talking about,Jade Rat

I think you ended up looking like a fool who hates the General and wants to be-little him- you have a crush on Casey or something?

PHP:
is your request to give Petraeus "suppression abilities".There are no such traits in HOI2

I'm not a moder, i never claimed to be- i was only saying what traits fit him best.

So every damn single top-of-his class West Point officer should be portrayed as the next Guderian,because...? Some guy on some forum wrapped in a flag says so? Not happening.

Like I said,NONE of the operations prior to the Iraq war come even close to being represented what HOI2 calls wars. Furthermore, the lavish praise you heaped on him ostentatively refers to *post-war Iraq*,namely the occupation.Performance in occupations is not something HOI2 is concerned or can even model.

Petraeus will be a top-tier (skill-wise) US general,and his most recent commands of Airborne/Air Assault units earn him a "Commando" trait,but that's it.

It would be an insult to all the other generals,particularly the WWII greats, if we fucking put an equal sign between them and today's American generals that are in charge of a virtual turkey shoot in Iraq.

It would be an insult to the two World Wars,WW1 where most generals got their first taste of war and WW2 where some managed to brilliantly adapt to the new warfare type, to equate their intensity to the small war of choice in Iraq.

Choke on a flag,Jade Rat.

Hi I need help with something.
the list on page one says that i have to patch hoi2.exe with the no time limit patch .. How do I do that? When i click on the no time limit patch, it says unable to specify path, what do I do then? And if I just start the game it starts at 1955, and also ends there, with me either loosing or winning, depending on what nation i'm playing.

Radu said:
Choke on a flag,Jade Rat.

And you may want to know that insulting other forum members doesn't happen to be allowed.

zigelation said:
Hi I need help with something.
the list on page one says that i have to patch hoi2.exe with the no time limit patch .. How do I do that? When i click on the no time limit patch, it says unable to specify path, what do I do then? And if I just start the game it starts at 1955, and also ends there, with me either loosing or winning, depending on what nation i'm playing.

if you click the ntl patch, it should allow you to select the hoi2.exe icon as the thing to be patched. i forget exactly how it is structured but you should be able to specify path just as you find a folder to save a document into for instance. hope that helps.

and Prinz Wilhelm: to be honest they've both insulted each other, as jade rat said he looks like a fool and fancies someone called casey. so its kinda gone both ways... all a bit unnecessary

Prinz Wilhelm said:
And you may want to know that insulting other forum members doesn't happen to be allowed.

I apologize for the insult. Short fuse when it comes to nationalism,but that is not an excuse. I take full responsibility.

:(

BritishImperial said:
and Prinz Wilhelm: to be honest they've both insulted each other, as jade rat said he looks like a fool and fancies someone called casey. so its kinda gone both ways... all a bit unnecessary

I know, but he had the latest reply. It goes for Jade Rat too.

What I really was going to do in this thread was to ask if someone is working on improving the map?

To be honest,that hasn't come up among our priorities. I think it's safe to say when the time comes we will rely on the map projects of others,for inspiration if nothing else.

If there is anything I'd like to see corrected it would be the Indian Peninsula and also Africa and South America somewhat. Clearly some work is needed as there is an understandable bias towards the historically "active" regions during WWII. One needs only to look at Egypt and then South Africa to get a sense of the "granularity" difference.

But so far,the map is pretty low on the list.

BritishImperial said:
if you click the ntl patch, it should allow you to select the hoi2.exe icon as the thing to be patched. i forget exactly how it is structured but you should be able to specify path just as you find a folder to save a document into for instance. hope that helps.
This is what it tells me
my.php

Prinz Wilhelm said:

What I really was going to do in this thread was to ask if someone is working on improving the map?

As Radu said, we haven't been prioritizing it yet. We plan however, on using the Cold War mod-map. (We may modify it somewhat)

What I'd like to see is more provinces to the Middle east, Congo, Korea, India/Pakistan and the corrected borders for Eastern Europe and Caucasus. In addition I would add Kinmen off the coast from Xiamen, China.

The map will probably still be Eurosentric though. IRL, Africa is 13 times larger. China is also larger, but it will be too much work to do anything about.

Last edited:
i tried to say that earlier but the forum was too bloody busy again. i really hate vista so much, it didnt even run hoi properly for me. it has so many errors and stupid complications like that.

Radu said:
jade rat said:
So every damn single top-of-his class West Point officer should be portrayed as the next Guderian,because...? Some guy on some forum wrapped in a flag says so? Not happening.

That only shows that you had no idea what i was implying- i said he was Patton-like, not the next MC Arther. You sound like a bleeding commie when you say that last bit.

Like I said,NONE of the operations prior to the Iraq war come even close to being represented what HOI2 calls wars. Furthermore, the lavish praise you heaped on him ostentatively refers to *post-war Iraq*,namely the occupation.Performance in occupations is not something HOI2 is concerned or can even model.

Sorry, i didn't know you had to be in command of 100,000 men for it to count as experience- even the smallest of battles teaches extreme lessons in the reality of logistics, and the unknown factors of war. Fact of the mater is a declaration of war is just that- a war that involves military operations between two or more powers. Just because we only needed less than a Corps to overwhelm the defenders doesn't make it any less of a war.

Occupation is the wrong term it implies a hostile force, we are their with the blessing of the Al-Malikii administration we and the remaining allied forces are what is known as a supporting army.

Petraeus will be a top-tier (skill-wise) US general,and his most recent commands of Airborne/Air Assault units earn him a "Commando" trait,but that's it.

I thought you just got done saying how inexperienced he is? Doesn't this contradict the anti-Petraeus message you have been trying to sell?

It would be an insult to all the other generals,particularly the WWII greats, if we fucking put an equal sign between them and today's American generals that are in charge of a virtual turkey shoot in Iraq.

I never used the words "equal" no did i imply that. I mearly put forth that Peteraus had the same carear in the sense of his attitude and his rising from the low ranks to his present station.

It would be an insult to the two World Wars,WW1 where most generals got their first taste of war and WW2 where some managed to brilliantly adapt to the new warfare type, to equate their intensity to the small war of choice in Iraq.

Again you are putting words in my mouth. I never said in fact- i made a point of saying excluding the 2nd world war However, dose that remind you of someone? Perhaps Petrerse who had experience in Vietnam and applied it brilliantly in Iraq when he took command? (Not to use your own words against you- but i couldn't resist)

Choke on a flag,Jade Rat

I'll ignore that mark of immaturity

@jade rat, PLEASE stop insulting! Radu has already apologized for going out of line.

There is something called "hitling" in Norway. That is to destroy a discussion with labeling someone just as bad as Hitler. Labeling someone communist in a negative way is a mild form of that, and does NOT strengthen your case. It makes you look like an fool, because you insult instead of coming with valid arguments. ;)

Regardless of who started and "who killed who", stop this "discussion".

Edit: I saw you edited your post, and removed some of the insults. Still, take into consideration what I wrote here.

Whats wrong with loving your country?

I tried to edit it a while ago but my IE kept bugging out on me.

But their is also a 'saying' here that anyone who seems to hate America is called a communist, its a evolution of what it used to mean and has taken to another meaning as being unpatriotic and not sharing loyalty to the country, or just bashing it. It wasn't meant as communism as the ideologically left kind, i guess i should remember this is international and should re-frame from sayings that could be taken another way.

Last edited:
BritishImperial said:
i tried to say that earlier but the forum was too bloody busy again. i really hate vista so much, it didnt even run hoi properly for me. it has so many errors and stupid complications like that.

Turn off UAC.

Radu said:

Not every but all our top generals went there-Patton, MacArthur, Ike, Bradley...the list goes on and on. If you can even name a decent general (nothing special general but not a bad one) that DIDN'T go there, ill give you total victory.

Because invading another country isnt modeled in HoI.

an iraq strategy that works. rose from a meager major general commanding some paratroopers to a full general running a war in 4 years.

from wiki: A poll recently conducted by Foreign Policy and Prospect magazines selected Petraeus as one of the world's top 100 public intellectuals. And in 2007, Time named Petraeus one of the 100 most influential leaders and revolutionaries of the year as well as one of its four runners up for Time Person of the Year

It would be an insult to all the other generals, particularly the WWII greats, if we fucking put an equal sign between them and today's American generals that are in charge of a virtual turkey shoot in Iraq.
theyre the turkeys ever since patraeus took over. also, how come modern generals cant be good? and, u said all other generals, well, mark clark wasnt too good and lets leave clark at that...

It would be an insult to the two World Wars, WW1 where most generals got their first taste of war and WW2 where some managed to brilliantly adapt to the new warfare type, to equate their intensity to the small war of choice in Iraq.​
so this is a type of warfare we've been fighting for years? hmm, i remember 1 example of a gorrilla war and that was vietnam, before Patraeus even graduated from west point.

Face it, he deserves skill 4 or 5. major general at skill 5 is my lobby for the game start. i wouldnt give him commando as hes essentially running a war, something commando leaders dont do and has still shown his expertise commanding a large force. perhaps give offensive and defensive doctrine with commando as it will only be a small bonus for most units (-5 for commando and +10 for off/def)

Petraeus skill 5, as in von Manstein assaulting the fortified Crimea skill 5? Or skill 5 as in Zhukov blunting the drive to Moscow skill 5? Or Rommel counter-attacking while his tanks are outnumbered Skill 5? Are you kidding me?!

The threats faced by the US army in Iraq (and Afghanistan) are ZERO compared to what the big boys of WWII had to fight through.Do the insurgents have tanks or APCs? Aircraft? Anti-tank weapons? Artillery? Rocket Artillery? They don't even have an army.

Please... That's like saying Schwartzkopf is the new Rommel for smashing to pieces an army made up of downgraded export models.

I'm not even sure about skill 4. Skill 4 is Kurt Student assaulting Crete.Skill 4 is Chuikov or Paulus coming close to nervous breakdowns during Stalingrad. Or how some American examples? Like Matthew Ridgway.There's an Airborne general for you.Instrumental in D-Day,instrumental in the blunting of the joint North-Korean/Chinese advance. Or James Gavin,"Slim Jim".Young General.Distinguished himself during Market Garden.He was faced with a proper army.The German Army.

The only threat the US ever faced after Korea is that of embarrassment,because it sure as hell didn't face armies that were its equal in the wars it fought.Most of the time it didn't even face armies at all.

So spare me the "Petraeus the Spartan" sermonizing.Petraeus faced but 1% of the odds faced by others that fully deserved their in-game skills of 4 and 5.The odds between the hyper-teched US and the insurgents are so lopsided it's off the scales.

Most nations will have "top" generals,and since Petraeus has made it in the history books he'll be among them,but I sure as hell won't manufacture true field commanders like Steiner or "Panzer" Meyer out of thin air just cause some froth-at-the-mouth american looks cross-eyed at me.

Last edited: