• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Its yet another Wednesday, and we have a new development diary for you all to read. Today’s Vindaloo was a bit spicier than last week, but very good, and provides great inspiration for our development this afternoon.

We have been working at implementing more diplomatic and intrigue actions that a state can do with another state. I hope to be able to tell you more in detail about those soon. There is ten different graphical styles for units, cities and buildings in the game, and we are steadily adding in them into the game. This week last week we finished the persian unit. The interface guys have been busy with adding in the character view screens, where you’ll be able to view all details about any character in the game. Meanwhile, our dedicated AI programmer have been busy making sure that the trade-routes AI is getting all the attention it needs.

This week, I’ll introduce you to King, or Chris King as his passport says. Chris has now been with us for 18 months as a fulltime employee, and was a moderator and tester before that for several years. He is responsible for our QA here at Paradox, and also helps out with game-design and database-scripting. Chris is the one that verifies the quality in the things we do from design ideas to actual finished games. It is his extensive historical knowledge and quick analytical mind that makes him such a valuable part of our team.

rome_dd_3.jpg

Today’s screenshot shows the current look of the map, where I am rather happy with the work done so far. We still plan to add cities, coastlines, name on the map and other things like that. Lets see if anyone spots any other changes compared to previous week.

In Rome, you do not have direct full control of every province in your empire. You need to appoint governors, strategos or satraps to each province outside the capital. A province without a governor is not working properly, and will most likely drift into chaos in a short time period. Selecting governors is a strategic choice in it self. A competent one may get more out of the province, but if he is corrupt, he may pocket a lot of the wealth as well. In a republic, he may end up winning the next consul ship when returning by spending his wealth to increase his popularity.

Johan said:
Today’s screenshot shows the current look of the map, where I am rather happy with the work done so far. We still plan to add cities, coastlines, name on the map and other things like that. Lets see if anyone spots any other changes compared to previous week.
Great.

Difference : a fifth "button" on the bottom bar, depicting a character. Probably the new character screen's shortcut ?

Good idea, the governors.

Ladislav said:
so is king in scotland or did he move to sweden?

He moved, although mainly for the weather and the taxes, the job was a bonus.

One governor per province is going to have some interesting implication if anyone wants to expend the map... More regions, more management. If one assumes that the regions are not meta-entities that can contains more than one in game provinces.

You're talking about governours Johan, will they be characters in a "court" which could have other titles as well? Can a character be governour in more than one province? Which stats does a character have? How many positions will there be to fill in with characters? and will those depend on which type of government you have or which religion you have?

Will these governours have courts on their own, or can you place and replace them as you like? And how much control will a governour have in a province? He affects income and other stuff in the province you said, and you also said it would give him power/prestige/wealth to help in successions, where that could be the thing, but can he also revolt or something like? Can he conquer land on his own like Gaius Julius???

King rocks :D

Ladislav said:
lucky son of a bitch ;) i thought the req for paradox was speaking swedish. did they make an exception in your case?

King speaks swedish.

so, there's political management!!! :)

That indirect rule of province sounds very good. It will hopefully create nice balance between getting "the best" as governor or "getting reliable henchmen".

The "indirect" control of non-capital provinces sounds very very interesting.
I really hope the characters kind of interact with each other. What fun could it be to balance the number of provinces controlled by noble family A with the one gouverned by family B in order to avoid A taking over the power in the state. Could give rebellions a total new depth.

Johan said:
Lets see if anyone spots any other changes compared to previous week.
Last week was 19 October. This week is 1 January.

By the way, do you choose your capitol yourself?

Kerry said:
I really hope the characters kind of interact with each other. What fun could it be to balance the number of provinces controlled by noble family A with the one gouverned by family B in order to avoid A taking over the power in the state. Could give rebellions a total new depth.
But I want a strategy game, not Sims3: Rome! ;)

Kerry said:

Well...

You will only get to select options for events for your current ruler and his children.

Which in a republic where you elect new consuls every 2 years can be pretty interesting :)

Like that incompetent buffoon got rich of his governorship in Narbonensis, and now spent alot of cash to boost his popularity with bread and games. And you end up with him as consul..

Johan said:
King speaks swedish.

i suppose there is no way around it. to get my dream job i need to cram swedish, ja?

although betatesting a bit i realized beta testing/developing games is far far removed from enjoying a game playing it. best leave it to the experts ;)

cant wait to see rome! and sorry for hijaking the thread a bit

Ladislav said:
i suppose there is no way around it. to get my dream job i need to cram swedish, ja?

although betatesting a bit i realized beta testing/developing games is far far removed from enjoying a game playing it. best leave it to the experts ;)

cant wait to see rome! and sorry for hijaking the thread a bit
Meh. It is quite possible that I have spent more time having fun modding/testing a game than actually playing it. :)