• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(84033)

First Lieutenant
17 Badges
Sep 15, 2007
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Navigators - Portugal in Magna Mundi Gold​

After some installation problems with Magna Mundi I’m ready at last to embark on a new journey.

I’ve become infatuated lately with all things nautical and naval in the game, so Portugal seems a logical choice. Granted, they aren’t the biggest challenge out there, but with the introduction of colonial range in the 2.1 patch, exploration isn’t that straightforward anymore. Checking the LibrAAry, I only found two (old) Portugal AARs, so there is still some room for improvement.

This AAR will be gameplay oriented -- for more narrative or historical reads, I encourage you to delve into the fantastic work of isca, canonized, coz1 and dozens of other great writers on this forum.

A quick declaration of intentions. I will not immediately ally myself with Castille to protect my flanks. No sir, I want to live on the edge (of Europe, of a sword, whatever). On the other hand, I will honour my alliance with England as long as possible. So Boo Spain, Hail Albion! I intend to become a republic and go reformed. Boo the king, Boo the pope, Hail Calvin! I intend to become a colonial trading empire, get rich and live happily ever after. Hail the sail. Hail myself. Maybe I should have dubbed this AAR Birth of a Sailsman ;) ?

Last edited:
Jestocost said:
Maybe I should have dubbed this AAR Birth of a Sailsman?
You should have! Also, Im glad someone is making a Portugal AAR about colonization. I have always found both very intriguing.

A Portugal AAR, they aren't that common, so I'll be watching this.

Duke of Wellington said:
Should be an interesting game. What may I ask though is the colonial range?
A feature implemented in 2.1
Basically you have a default range of 150.
With each naval tech it goes up by 10.
And QFTNW doubles it.

A province must be in the "colonial range", so the nearest city.

Ex-Portugal CAN colonize Bermuda.
Portugal CAN'T colonize Havana.

But if portugal made Bermuda a city. Then maybe it can reach Havana.

I'm actually starting up a Portugal AAR next. :( Other than the focus on colonising (I've made some tweaks of my own to the MM colonising numbers which I need to test), I think my journey will take me in a different direction, and the style will be quite different as well.

Sorry if you feel your toes stepped on in any way. :rolleyes: I for one will be interested in seeing the comparisons and differences. My essential tweak is to reduce the number of colonists and the chances of success. I have yet to play a game of EUIII where I felt colonisation was slow enough. So I'm trying to push the boat out a bit. Or pull it in....... ;)

At any rate, good luck! I will DEFINITELY keep an eye on this!

I.​

First, the selection of advisors. As may be expected, men of genius flock around me from the start. Quite convenient, as they can compensate for my not-so-genius king, Afonso V. After some deliberation, I settle for:

- A treasurer. The very word sounds like a bell.
- An army reformer. To keep my jealous neighbours at bay. Notably Castile, whom the Pope has given the Canaries in 1436. And yes, that is as silly as it sounds.
- Finally – rejoice! – a naval reformer. The new Odysseus. His name is Gil Dias and his eyes are blue as the sea. Or so people tell. Anyway, I need him.

advisors.jpg

The Portuguese Armada, consisting of 7 carracks and 3 cogs, will be my key to Greatness and Empire. Dias will inspire his people to cast aside their old superstitions and childish
notions about seamonsters by whistling In the navy and carelessly handing out signatures.

Monster.jpg
In_the_navy.jpg

Naval development should also help to further my colonial agenda. In 1453 we have a colony on the Azores (size 9) and another feitoria – trading post – in Arguin (size 8). If we want to venture beyond Cape Boyador, south of Morocco, into the Gulf of Guinea we need to extend our reach. Our national ideas will come in handy here too:

ideas.jpg

The last one, naval provisioning, adds to our range.

Let’s take a look at the geopolitical environment. Next to us is Castile. Did I mention we don’t like Castile? We don’t. If you have heard otherwise, you were led astray. Anyway, since I suspect the Canary-Coloured-Kingdom will soon meddle in our affairs, we need some form of protection. This is were England comes in. Our alliance with England, ladies and gentlemen, is the longest standing alliance in the world, and we intend to keep it that way. Now, If only Aragon would be so kind to offer us an alliance…

scene.jpg

That's about it exposition-wise. Soon, all hell will break loose, I’m afraid. More about that tomorrow.

Last edited:
kfijatass, germanpeon, Capibara, DoW, spl - Welcome, good people. Nice of you to follow my humble exploits.

isca - As i said, men of genius flock around me from the start. :cool: Welcome on board. I hope your mighty vessel won't blow my little boat out of the water. ;)

Jestocost said:
Our alliance with England, ladies and gentlemen, is the longest standing alliance in the world, and we intend to keep it that way.
I believe the alliance is still in effect today, but it isnt often honored.

Jestocost said:
Canary-Coloured-Kingdom

:rofl:

Nice start, I really hope you defeat the Castillians, they deserve it :p

I suggest getting rid of Castille before they annex Aragon, and that's quick. Maybe while they're occupied with Granada? Or take a hit at Aragon so Castille will have minimum gain from it's annexation?

II.​

Don’t you just love it when things go your way?

Barely I have my court set up, or the Lord of Aragon proposes a royal marriage. Because he is such a charming lad, and this holy matrimony will open the doors for further diplomatic intercourse, I am only too happy to agree. Before the honeymoon is over, an alliance is signed. This world is our oyster. But let's not bask in glory too soon: decisions need to be made.

Dday.jpg

Nay I say! Our future lies beyond the seas: we will rule the waves, and paddle our feet on distant shores.

Important as the decision may be, there is little time for fret or regret. Aragon comes knocking on our door, requesting aid against Navarra. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about Navarra, but it turns out the tiny mountain kingdom is also at war with Castile, and we don’t want them to become bigger, do we? Hence, we dutifully stand by our ally.

The ensuing stability drop sends our realm into chaos and upheaval. Colonial infighting on the Azores is soon followed by an all-out Tuareg revolt in Arguin. My small expeditionary force there is quickly defeated, and sent fleeing into the jungle.

revoltArguin.jpg

Undeterred, I embrace the idea of Colonial Ventures and dispatch 3,000 troops as a reinforcement to Arguin. In September, my combined expeditionary force marches against the African natives, and a ferocious battle ensues.

BatlleofArguin.jpg

Our soldiers, their legs still a bit wobbly from the arduous sea voyage (or could it be the weight of the white man’s burden?) barely manage to stand their ground. But they prevail in the end. Yay for us! Aragon, in the meantime, has managed to grab Navarra. Yay for them! There will be peace and honour in our time once again.

But then fate catches up: Aragon and Castile sign a military alliance after all. One doesn’t need to be much of a genius to predict which side Aragon will support, when it comes to the crunch. Disappointed by the failure of my Iberian politics, I decide to focus on colonial exploits for the time being. In the following years, settlers are sent to the Azores and Arguin for colonization – which apparently comes down to chopping down all the trees.

azores.jpg

By October 1459, our two colonies have turned into fledgling Portugese towns.

limitedcol.jpg

The following week, a foreign guest suddenly drops dead at one of our candlelight suppers. Now, the vintage had indeed been bad the previous year, but in this case we clearly have been framed. Trying to limit the damage to our reputation, I hastily finance an investigation – which turns out to be inconclusive. Our old king, broken and abashed, decides to die the next day.

henriqueI.jpg

To add insult to injury, the Portugese nobility refuses to acknowledge the new king and once more the air reeks of rebellion.

Then France re-declares war on England and we, being the silly sea dogs we are, rise to the occasion.

warfrance.jpg

franceandallies.jpg

Yep, don’t you love it when things go your way?

Last edited:
Capibara said:
:rofl:
Nice start, I really hope you defeat the Castillians, they deserve it :p

Thanks. I like your own island adventures too, by the way. They partly inspired me to be a sea dog myself. ;)

kfijatass said:
I suggest getting rid of Castille before they annex Aragon, and that's quick. Maybe while they're occupied with Granada? Or take a hit at Aragon so Castille will have minimum gain from it's annexation?

Well I definitely won't ally the Castillians, but they are too strong for a head-on confrontation right now. My alliance with Aragon wouldn't last a second longer. I'm literally caught between the devil and the deep blue sea here, so I'll tackle the sea first, and see what becomes of the devil later.

Duke of Wellington said:
From a good start things have sure taken a turn for the worse.

Indeed they have, Lord Duke. Not only did France bring all her vassals into the war (including Milan), but Scotland and Norway too. I'll try to fight them at sea as much as I can.

This turned from a promising start to a not so promising one, but nevermind, expand in north Africa; Castille and Aragon will get what they deserve later. Maybe the French can start tasting the Portuguese wrath.

It would appear that you are the less successful of the two current Portugal Magna Mundi AAR writers right now. Too bad. :(