• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello again, and welcome to this weeks Development Diary for Rome. It is clearly noticeable that we are located in the far north, where darkness comes early and the cold is slowly creeping into our bones. Thankfully we got a cozy and warm office where we can spend out time developing computer games instead of hunting polarbears on the streets of Stockholm.

It has been great fun seeing the religion and diplomacy interfaces become implemented during the last week. What have also been interesting are the long discussion meetings we’ve had on which event series to implement in the game. We are aiming to have an amount of events that will exceed the count of any other game we’ve released. Of course that may change as we go through the beta. What we really want is to have character driven events like those in Crusader Kings, with as an example, events triggering on stats of rulers, and contextual event-series simulating for example Civil Wars, Religious Spread and Civilizing Processes amongst other things.

In our series of introducing team members, it is now time for Besuchov, or Thomas Johansson as he’s known on the credit-lists. Thomas has been working with us for almost four years now, and before that he was an active forumite. He is mostly working with game-logics, interfaces and network programming, and is nowadays the lead programmer of our team. Besides his strong programming skills, he is also a gamer and fan of history. Thomas is the cornerstone of experience and knowledge for our team, and we would not be able to make these games without him.

rome_dd_2.jpg

This screenshot indicates a few aspects of the new religious features. The most important is the calling of Omens. Omens are something people believed in during the era, and a feature we believe will create an extra layer of strategy. Omens can be called about twice a year, and you can only have one active Omen. Depending on the abilities of the priest, your religious discoveries and powers, and what ideas you may have, you will get either success or failure, when invoking an omen. A failed omen is a curse that will be hurting your nation over that time period.

Omens are of coursed named depending on the religion of your state, since a Blessing of Jupiter does not really fit all that well if you are playing a Jewish state.

Code:
divine_trade = {
	trade_income_modifier = 0.25
}

divine_calm = {
	global_revolt_risk = -0.05
}

I like that a lot.

Thanks once again.

Very, very cool! I like that feature.

I'd also like a picture of Johan hunting polar bears on the dark and snowy streets of Stockholm! :D Just to show us how it's done!

Rensslaer

Thx for the update!
Good work Thomas!!

Question:
(Yes, yes, I know it´s just in Alpha :p)
What is carthaginian religion?
Shouldn´t it be a part of some major middle-east religion? Or did it develope to something special in Africa?

Edit: Or maybe an balance issue?

Go Carthage and its religion!

Omens sound veeeery interesting.

Lord Martin said:
Thx for the update!
Good work Thomas!!

Question:
(Yes, yes, I know it´s just in Alpha :p)
What is carthaginian religion?
Shouldn´t it be a part of some major middle-east religion? Or did it develope to something special in Africa?

Edit: Or maybe an balance issue?

It'd be Phonecian in origin, but as the Carthaginians have had a few centuries of independent deveolpment by this time and the Phonecians are on their way out at this point in time, it makes since they'd be represented by their own religion.

Excellent stuff. If the current character events system in CK can be refined and expanded so that there are more consequences between character relationships as well as concrete events that impact the game situtation - this will be the 2nd thing I will look forward to. Apart from the setting of course!

Omens...... Theres no such thing as magic - stupid peons! :D

and hello Besuchov. Just one thing:

have also been interesting are the long discussion meetings

"Meetings and Interesting". I dont believe this for one second unless lots of booze was involved! :D

Nice idea to have omens. Suits well the time-frame. Good work so far.

Is this handled in what I hesitantly call a realistic fashion - the "omens" are good and so the realm begins to behave in a certain way because it feels this is the way things are supposed to be ("Fortune is on our side, we have nothing to fear")? Or is it introducing genuine elements of fantasy, which I wouldn't be so happy about. Not least as there's a minefield of a debate to be found on how the fantasy and reality should fit together.