• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MechtheDane: For a while, I thought the Crovan Empire would end with Eadbert. You'll soon see why.

Snugglie: What! Prophecies of misery and death for a Crovan! Heretic!

Murmurandus: Oh yes, and here it comes

General_BT: I guess its the festering wound, but Eadbert is not a hit with the ladies the way other Crovans have been.

Eams: Yeah, no kidding..."Oh boy, whatta catch!"

1376 - To Hell in a Handbasket

Eadbert “The Unhinged” Thurcytelsson Crovan

King of Norway and of Serbia, called “The Mover”

Reflections on the final years, 1376

110-01.jpg

Ecgwynn, the daughter I murdered my wife, shattered my reputation, and threw away all of my deeply cherished values for, has died.

110-02.jpg

And Duke Hug is being pulled back into the realm.

110-03.jpg

My dear brother Alfred, in spite of his status as “next of kin,” has lately taken to plotting against me, even though I keep giving him lands and titles.

You know, it’s not like I’m the first person to ever kill his spouse in the hopes to get an heir.

Something shall be done about his treachery.

110-04.jpg

Geoffrey The Spymaster has killed Alfred’s Spymaster and taken his place.

Geoffrey is a master of disguise.

Alfred won’t even see this coming.

110-05.jpg

I am starting to wonder whose side Geoffrey the Spymaster is on. His schemes have consumed over 1,100 pounds of gold and not once has he even come close to killing Alfred. Sure, a couple of attendants and a cat have fallen prey to his plans, but Alfred has eluded my grasp.

I finally had to call off the whole plan when Geoffrey was exposed and had to flee for his life.

110-06.jpg

Alfred, it would seem, has hired a new spymaster.

Cuthbert would argue that Alfred’s spymaster is very effective.

Or at least, he might, if we could ever find his head.

110-07.jpg

Not to be outdone, I have hired a Professional Hit-Man to kill that Spymaster.

110-08.jpg

Okay, well now I know, you need to be specific when you hire contract help. I’ll miss Geoffrey.

This time I have sent him out to kill Alfred’s Spymaster.

110-09.jpg

Damn! That Spymaster Eadburh is a dynamo! Alas, the Hit-Man was captured and totally confessed my role.

I mean, yeah, we’ve been trying to kill each other all year, but this is the first real hands on proof Alfred’s gotten of my plans.

I wonder, has our little game taken on a new dimension?

110-10.jpg

I guess it has. Alfred, in is speech about the rebellion, stressed how I’ve tried to kill him like 10 times, totally unprovoked, and I’ve murdered a member of his court, while in retaliation, he’s only killed one member of my court – and that was just to try and warn me off.

You know, when he puts it that way, I kind of feel like the bad-guy in all of this.

I mean, I’m still going to crush his rebellion, but I probably won’t enjoy it as much.

Okay, it is official: Eadbert and Geoffrey are no Bonnie and Clyde, not just because Geoffrey is dead and Bonnie is a woman, but because they are grossly incompetent at crime. How will the Civil War end? Will Eadbert manage to spawn an heir? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Alfred Packer said:
MechtheDane: For a while, I thought the Crovan Empire would end with Eadbert. You'll soon see why.

Snugglie: What! Prophecies of misery and death for a Crovan! Heretic!

Murmurandus: Oh yes, and here it comes

General_BT: I guess its the festering wound, but Eadbert is not a hit with the ladies the way other Crovans have been.

Eams: Yeah, no kidding..."Oh boy, whatta catch!"
Well he did try to kill his wife with knitting tools...so I can see why he'd doom it.

Alfred Packer said:
Fun fact: Geoffrey and Eadburh were brothers as well.
:eek:
And I can't believe that you didn't do that willingly for story-purposes.

No that's a mess even a Crovan actually needs to work for... :eek: :D

You could seel this to TV. Definitely. It's "Days of our lives" all over...

MechtheDane: Quite true

Eams: Sometimes the game makes the jokes for you...and sometimes player-error does as well.

Murmurandus: Poor Eadbert, and his reign began with such promise

Snugglie: :)

1376-1379

Eadbert “The Unhinged” Thurcytelsson Crovan

King of Norway and of Serbia, called “The Mover”

Reflections on the final years, 1376-1379

111-01.jpg

Alfred may say all the nasty things he wants, but it is deeds that matter! And these 40,000 fellows will be committing all sorts of violent “deeds” in Alfred’s lands!

111-02.jpg

She was going to bare me a son! You bastard! Curse you Alfred! Curse you Alfred’s Spymaster! Oh God…the jig is up…what woman will want to be married to a violent, murderous, oozing, goon?

Good lord! What father will give his daughter the death sentence?

I don’t know…I don’t even want to live anymore.

111-03.jpg

I’m just going to take to my bed at let my lungs fill with phlegm.

111-04.jpg

The Generals tell me Alfred has been crushed. I don’t even see the point any more…He is the only heir whether he lives in a dungeon or in a palace.

I guess I could kill him…but what is the point. I’d rather the villain I know get this dump when I am gone than the villain I don’t.

111-05.jpg

I shall leave him Epirus – it is his least favorite land.

111-06.jpg

Has anyone stopped to consider that being a bed-ridden, diseased pneumatic with a grotesque and festering wound might – just might mind you – be why I am passive?

Jerks.

111-07.jpg

I have slowly turned over most of the country to Alfred. I am nearly done.

I can only hope that posterity remembers my struggles to build Crovan Norway into something truly wonderful and to protect our family’s cherished line. Someday, someone will remember the tragedy of the life of King Eadbert. I think it will make a very, very impressive play, one sure to bring people to tears.

*koff* *koff*

111-08.jpg

From: William Monfort’s delightful farce: “The Comedy of King Eadbert

Goeffrey: What ho! I am slain, your highness!
Eadbert: What is this? That’s not my wife! It’s my Spymaster!
Geoffrey: (coughs and expires upon the floor)
Eadbert: Oh heavens, that’s the third Spymaster this week!
Mercutio: Perhaps, old chap, you should save yourself a sticking and make your next wife your Spymaster!
Eadbert: Oh Mercutio! You and your colourfully dated colloquialisms!
General Cuthbert: (enters stiffly) Your highness, your far worthier, and handsomer, brother King Alfred, patron of the playwright’s guild, is easily conquering the lands you ineptly lead!
Eadbert: Quick Mercutio! Get me another Wife – oh and a new Spymaster!

So maybe Eadbert’s legacy isn’t what he had hoped for. But what about King Alfred? Is he married? Does he have a son? What of the Crovan Line! What of Norway! Find out, on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Poor Eadbert. :) What a life.

Although, if I may say so, most of teh Saxon Crovans have had relatively miserable lives. The Norweigan ones were more... lunatic.

Most? Technically. Leofwine and Eadbert were miserable failures. But their progenitor was an amazing badass.

So Eadbert basically surrendered to Alfred after a simple assassination? Awesome.

I wonder if Alfred is planning to move back to Norway... ;) :D

1379-1384

Alfred Thurcytelsson Crovan

King of Norway and of Serbia

Ruminations on the first part of his rule, 1379-1384

112-01.jpg

So, now I am king. But blah. What’s the point? I have no sons. My wife is dead. I am old and my body is broken from years of fighting for my life against my loon of a brother, so I probably won’t be fathering any more children. The next Crovan in line for the family throne isn’t even Saxon, so I guess our line ends with me. On the plus side, I guess since my chief tormentor is now dead, I can at least relax and enjoy the last part of my life.

112-02.jpg

As you may imagine, that sociopath has left the nation in chaos, so I’ve given away a large part of the patrimony and remitted Scutage for the near future. Hopefully that will show the people, well at least the people who matter, you know – the ones with swords – that not all Crovans mean trouble.

112-03.jpg

Okay, so the plan isn’t off to the best start ever.

112-04.jpg

Of course, he was quickly brought back into line. Corinth isn’t exactly a military powerhouse.

112-05.jpg

And now, to test our bonds, several of my vassals have declared war on the Kingdom of Germany. “Oh no!” you say, “War with another Kingdom? But only God’s Enemies win then!”

To which I reply: The Kingdom of Germany isn’t exactly the military powerhouse Corinth is.

112-06.jpg

My Marshal – General Sigebert: dynamo on the field of battle, moron with a map.

112-07.jpg

The Church of Olaf Crovan Christ has taken hold in my capitol. It would seem that a legend has arisen among the common people that Christ has returned to Earth, but not with Power as foretold, but rather with a rather serious skin condition, a large quantity of cheap wine, and twin Papal Excommunications. Their message is somewhat garbled, as you can well imagine.

112-08.jpg

And the Pope has decided to save the King of Germany from my righteous…I don’t know…ennui?

112-09.jpg

Being King roused me enough that I did marry again, and even fathered another child. Of course, it was another girl. So much for that.

112-10.jpg

I know that murderous Spymasters have long been a part of the fabric of Crovan Courtier life, but, number one, she did just kill my wife and number two, she has told many people “the walking Nose we call a King is next,” so I guess I’ll have to do something about this.

Shame though. If it hadn’t been for the personal threats, I could have easily married a looker like Elfleda.

The Second son of Thurcytel mounts the throne. Old, decrepit, and bereft of sons will he accomplish anything? And what if the Saxon House does end with Alfred? We all saw that Crovan Mug in the succession line. Where is he from? Who is he spymastering for? Will we ever find out? Probably not, but tune in anyway when the Pope’s vendetta against Olaf Crovan continues on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Last edited:
Reactions:
That Alfred doesn't seem overly optimistic... I mean he should be happy to be able to run his brother's empire to the ground while shagging (to get that son of course...) :D

Lovely. The Crovans have slaughtered each other to the point of extinction.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!

Korinth>Germany, loved that. Church of Olaf Crovan Christ, I'd join in if the wine was free.

Murmurandus: I guess it's that sucking chest wound...people with those are so whiney

kalenderee: I also found it strangely satisfying.

RGB: best to join the Church now, while the gettings good!