• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Spymasters were elected, I'd vote for Bengt!
Then again, last time I went to the polls, I carried a pink slip with "Cthulhu" crayoned onto it...

Er, wow.

That Bengt man is so useful. Stabbings are sexy especially if they coincide with world domination plans.

Just wanted to pop in and give some props, I've been following this for a while. I find it amazing that each generation of Crovans can be so different and yet so consistently hilarious.

On this last post though, the game engine almost gave you the jokes with the schizo characters, they're always entertaining to watch. :p

Oh and btw Packer, good name. Are you referencing the historical person or the funny movie character? (Or am I jumping to conclusions?)

Keep up the good work.

Murmurandus: I feel like a kid at Christmas whenever a courtier goes insane

Sokraates: Bengt has been warmly embraced by all my readers! it is so sad that the homicidal maniacs seem to die so young.

Snugglie: Thanks! Of course, the events made things kind of easy.

Eams: His slogan would win me over:

Vote Bengt in '08 or he will gut you like a fish
No seriously, he will

RGB: Then you should love the next exciting episode - less stabbity but still plenty of mayhem!

To all readers: As I was preparing this episode I remembered, and you should probably be aware, that I cheated to make Bard legitimate. This is because I did not want Pal to take over because I wanted the Crovans to remain Crovan/Norway Blue and for Scotland Blue to not become my primary colour.

That being said, Bard is by far the worst possible candidate for the throne and his reign bears this out, so I can honestly say that I did not cheat for gain, but rather for story, so I feel no guilt over it - and actually think it was a good idea.

1305-1310

Skule Half-Dansson Crovan

King of All Norway of Sweden and of Denmark

Thoughts on his reign – the mid-latter years, 1305 – 1310

81-01.jpg

Today I was meeting with the more powerful Dukes, discussing the Royal Succession and how to keep Norway from the clutches of the degenerate Scotch Crovans when my Bastard Bard, Duke of Gotland wandered into the meeting hall. I winced visibly.

“Hewwo Papa, is dis weuwe de bwig vwassuwls mweet?”

To a man, the great nobles jumped to their feet: “Him! Him! We’ll take him as your successor!”

*sigh* I hate this country.

81-02.jpg

Another commoner has been planted with the Royal Seed. I agreed to his mom’s traitorous and exorbitant demands for cash and a royal upbringing for her boy Sigurd because I have my secret weapon by my side.

As she left Viken Castle, I turned to Bengt.

“Bengt, old boy, you know what to do.”

We exchanged winks and Bengt ran eagerly from the room.

81-03.jpg

From the gatehouse, we heard screaming and then splashing. I ran to see what was going on. There I saw Bengt, holding the Chancellor’s head firmly underwater. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up as I approached.

Apparently, Bengt did not, in fact, know what to do.

So he improvised.

81-04.jpg

This morning, when I came down to breakfast, the twisted remains of my new Chancellor were lying on the floor.

I sighed and called Bengt in to chastise him.

Not many Chancellors are interested in jobs that have “you will be violently murdered by Bengt” in the duties.

Bengt scuttled over and regarded the body for a moment, before shrugging and grunting.

Later, Bengt’s brother Eskild confessed to the murder. I explained to Eskild that sibling rivalry doesn’t need to extend into a murderous rampage body-count competition. He apologized and I decided to let the matter drop.

81-05.jpg

Dear Margie passed today. Because of her, I had no legitimate heirs and instead I had to choose between Pal the Imbecile or Stuttering Bard for my successor.

Maybe I should have listened to the Spymaster all those years ago.

81-06.jpg

The Dashingly Handsome and Well Coiffed Marshal Bagge won the Grand Tournament I hosted in memorial of dear Margie.

81-07.jpg

My last French territory rebelled today, which I expected would happen. I mean, look at his hair. The man has a beehive. Thinking about consequences is clearly something he isn’t good at.

81-08.jpg

The York Regiment should do the trick.

81-09.jpg

I should say, the threat of the York Regiment did the trick, since his shiny gold was all I really wanted anyway.

81-10.jpg

Today, a great man has passed. Maybe not great in the sense of “does great things” or “is nice to others” or even “I don’t fear for my life whenever he reaches for a pudding.” No, Bengt was great in the sense that…well, okay, he wasn’t great by any definition of the word. But he sure kept everyone on their toes.

You will be missed old friend.

Oh no! Bengt has passed. The second crazed mass-murderer to wander freely in the Halls of Viken has thrown off the mortal coil and joined the choir invisible. Will anyone step up to the plate and carry forth on anther murderous rampage? Probably not. Still, Sigurd the Very Lucky Bastard learns a valuable life lesson and Skule sleeps with anything that moves on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Bad haircuts ruled this update... :D

Alas ... at least you still have Eskild. By the way, what is that red trait/disease/whatever of Bard?

kalenderee said:
"So he improvised."

I'm still snickering. Love the Crovans. Thanks.
Seconded.

Stabbing the wrong person?

Priceless.

He will be sorely missed, indeed.

And I thought Skule already did sleep with anything that moved, not that it did him any good...?

Murmurandus: Bad haircuts are a theme of early 14th century Norweigan life

kalenderee & Snugglie: Thanks! that line made me snicker, so I'd hoped it was funny

RGB: That is a good point. Maybe I should have said "Skule continues to sleep with anything that moves!"

1310-1317 Spinning our wheels now that the "interesting" character has died

Skule Half-Dansson Crovan

King of All Norway of Sweden and of Denmark

Thoughts on his reign – the latter-latter years, 1310 – 1317

82-01.jpg

Today, another hot young lady requested a little Skule-Time.

The chicks dig the hair.

82-02.jpg

Of course, the chicks also dig the sudden access to massive piles of gold, titles and privilege that siring Royal Bastards seems to bring.

82-03.jpg

Sigurd the Lucky Bastard and I were having some quality time yesterday, when he asked me what a heathen was.

I told him that heathens were people like us, except that we were allowed to kill them whenever we want and take their lands without it being murder or theft, which is a pretty good deal really.

I sure do wish the Pagans still lived around here.

82-04.jpg

Today, my heir Stuttering Bard is a man. Well, he would be a man, but he cannot grow a lustrous goatee like his father and the other great nobles of the realm – all he has is this wispy mustache. I don’t think you can even see it in his picture. It’s terrible. He does have nice hair though.

82-05.jpg

Today little Sigurd ran into my office. I am rather fond of the lad, so I asked him what he wanted. He asked if he would ever get to rule over Norway like his dear old dad.

I chuckled and ruffled his hair.

“Of course not son, you’re a Bastard! Now run along you little scamp!”

I chucked his chin.

He ran out of the room.

82-06.jpg

My cousin Duke Harald of Slesvig has added a new English vassal to his domain. I mention this only because I want you to see that this fashion of looking just like the King of Norway continues, even among Hell-bound excommunicates.

82-07.jpg

And look! Without the King of Norway there to watch over them, Muslims are once more creeping into England. I hope they overrun the whole place and burn it to the ground.

82-08.jpg

One of the courtiers was looking a little pregnant today at the morning staff meeting.

I knew she wasn’t married, so I – jokingly mind you – asked if she knew who the father was.

She replied, “you, Your Majesty. Don’t you remember? At the castle Christmas Party? You got all drunk and I had to carry you back to your room…”

82-09.jpg

I stopped her. Something about that seemed familiar, and even if it didn’t, well, it sounded like something I’d do.

82-10.jpg

Well, my new son Kare makes 7 Bastard children for this single father. I think that would make for a great situational-comedy play – maybe even a whole series of them! Except for the part where Hakon died. Oh, and when Ivar was murdered.

And when I tried to have Sigurd murdered.

You know what, nevermind.

Well, without the excitement of a mass-murderer, things have really settled down into comfortable drunken debauchery at Viken Castle. Does Skule have any plans to recover more of his lost lands? Will he get out of the castle? Will he father more Bastards? Will Sigurd have more stupid questions? The answers to most of these questions are pretty obvious, but you might feel like you’ve gone back in time on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Skule, a Man with Great Appetite and Hair... :D

Bard "The Bard" Skuleson Crovan. King of Norway and inventor of rap lyrics.

"Yo- Yo- Yo- Yo- Your base are belong to us!"

(I mean, come on. A guy with a speech impediment called Bard?)

Daddy Daycare gone Crovan?

Sounds like a film I'd watch.

Skule needs to find himself a nice single lady with seven kids of her own. So he can be played by Henry Fonda in "Crovan - the movie".
And then, marry his sons to his step-daughters!

Eams said:
Skule needs to find himself a nice single lady with seven kids of her own. So he can be played by Henry Fonda in "Crovan - the movie".
And then, marry his sons to his step-daughters!

Sounds more like Steve Martin to me.

Murmurandus: Indeed he is...and he will continue to indulge them!

Sokraates: I wish I had Phargle's (or Evil Santa's) talents with the lyrics, becuase the songs of Stuttering Bard would be kind of funny.

I may try one or two if I can produce anything non-sucky

RGB: I think any films starring King Skule would not be safe viewing for children!

Eams: Thank you. I nearly drowned in coffee laughing at your remark.

Raden Shaka: 7 Bastards? No, Skule will not be happy saddling Bard with merely 7 brothers to contend with!