• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow! Only 454,08 days needed to repay all the debts. Provided you don't waste the money one other, trivial things ... like paying your army to fight.

It's obvious what the road to success is in the Crovan Empire -- look like the king, and you get a duchy (as long as there is some land left that is) :D

Your income is... promising. Have those "nice" events that love to destroy province improvements as long as you are in debt been firing yet

Right, as with all things in life... if you don't have, just take it... the money that is... ;) :D

Haven't commented for a while, but seeing this civil war come, endure and pass makes one realize that a bunch of homework isn't that bad. Being king of Norway sucks more in all cases.

I have the haunting feeling that this will soon happen again...

Sokraates: or bribing certain cretinous vassals to fake loyalty

Jordarkelf: I think the Italian Merchant Houses own every windmill in Norway :p

Murmurandus: or, if you are a vassal to a Crovan...just take your land

Snugglie: I think you are right. The great theme of the Crovan Saga seems to be "Vassals Suck"

1287-1293 - okay this is it for Civil War - I promise!

Skule Half-Dansson Crovan

King of All Norway of Sweden and of Denmark

Thoughts on the Civil War – the latter years, 1287 – 1293

78-01.jpg

Today Arne the Traitor, King of England agreed to peace.

I so hate that man.

78-02.jpg

You might as well start beating them up now Hakon. When you grow up, you’ll still be fighting them. Only then they’ll be your vassals.

I love that boy. He has the makings of a fine King and an even finer Crovan.

78-03.jpg

Much to my complete and total shock a Herald arrived at court today asking if his lord could join my empire.

I’m just going to say yes and pretend that Bjarne, only a few years ago, was not rebelling against me and calling for my blood.

78-04.jpg

The Estates General offered up some cash to help get the crown out of debt. It wasn’t as much as I would have liked, but to be honest, after almost 20 years of no stop war, I think it’s all they got.

78-05.jpg

Well, this is a really sad day. Little Hakon, the apple of my eye and the lad who would be king, has passed.

78-06.jpg

For some reason, that bastard King Arne thought little Hakon’s memorial service would be the perfect place to offer an alliance.

Yeah right, like I’m going to trust the jerk who stabbed me in the back after I made him a King.

78-07.jpg

Now my imbecile Half-Brother King Pal of Scotland has come by the Royal Mourning Table to let me know how excited he is to be the new heir to the Kingdom of Norway.

It has to be something in the water over there. Pal will never sit on my throne.

And yes, I know he already sits on the Scotland part of it.

78-08.jpg

After all the stress of my boy Hakon dying, I have decided to cope with it by cheating on my wife.

There is an old Norse saying “Nothing relieves the stress of a dead child like an extra-marital affair.”

78-09.jpg

Okay, so maybe this plan wasn’t as cunning as I thought.

Maybe that old Norse saying should be “After introducing your grieving wife to your Bastard child from an extra-marital affair be certain to hide any large, potentially air-borne object if you don’t want a broken nose.”

78-10.jpg

I received word today that Arne the Jerk has passed, leaving the throne of England to his son Gudmund. Gudmund naively thinks I would like to be friends now.

Gudmund’s Herald is about to learn exactly how long King Skule holds a grudge.

Also, the Royal Herald Executioners have been pretty bored since the Civil War ended.

And I think we can officially call the Civil War over. Thank God! I don’t know about you, but I was getting pretty sick of the whole thing. I don’t know what is going to happen on the next exciting episodes of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan, but it won’t involve Civil War!

Reactions:
The civil war is over! Hip-hip HOORAY!

Now just make shure to either

a) get rid of any vassals you have or
b) have some grownup inherit the throne of Norway

lest we should have a sequel to this.

"Sukleson - The Vassals Strike Back", of course, in any non-Scandinavian country the movie would be called "Sukle II - The Vassals Strike Back".

Hmmm ... do you think "Sukle Wars II - The Vassals Strike Back" would infringe anyone's intellectual property? :D

God, those English Kings are stupid! Time to (re-)introduce them to real Kings like Skule... :D

Sokraates: fun fact - of the 10 Crovan rulers so far only Gudrod (who starts out the game over 16), Gunnar, and Half-Dan have come to power as adults! (Erlend was close - he was 15)...so I wouldn't pin my hopes on a non-regency following Skule (of course, he lives forever, so there is some hope).

Personally, I like Suke Wars II - The Vassals Strike Back!

(or maybe the first war could be "A Fist Full of Skules" and the sequal could be "For a Few Skules More")

Murmurandus: But first - Those devious Finlanders get theirs!

jordarkelf: I think the Brahe Clan is terminally insane.

1293-1300 - okay, so maybe just a little more civil war there at the end.

Thoughts on his reign – the mid-latter years, 1293 – 1300

79-01.jpg

Ten years of careful land management, the effects of long peace and the continued gross extortion of goods and taxes from the peasants and serfs has brought Norway back into the black financially.

79-02.jpg

Now that we have a few extra coins lying around, its time to take some revenge (and also get Torgils the Bastard out of the Castle – the missus doesn’t need little mister constant reminder running around all the time).

79-03.jpg

Spymaster Anund and his buddy Hakon got a little over excited and, arriving before the main army, got the snot beat out of them.

79-04.jpg

The arrival of an actual Marshal with the Royal Army quickly turned things around. I can’t tell you how saddened I was to learn that a member of Clan Anonymouscommander had turned on me, fighting for the traitorous Finlandians rather than for the rightful King of All of Norway.

He will have time to consider his error.

Not much though, since he is being executed.

79-05.jpg

The brutal execution of his Marshal brought Willie the Finn to his knees. He surrendered on the condition that I spare his life, which I graciously accepted.

I had the Spymaster push him out a window later that night.

Spymasters are good like that.

79-06.jpg

It is a Very Merry Christmas for Torgils the Bastard, Duke of Finland.

79-07.jpg

Rowr…and a Very Merry Christmas for King Skule!

And apparently for yet another Royal Bastard whose mom will be receiving Royal Child Support Payments until I foist the product of her loins on some unsuspecting township he can mis-govern.

79-08.jpg

Spymaster Anund popped in today to discuss the Royal Succession with me. He pointed out that, since I was fathering Bastards the way most men eat potato chips, clearly I was not the reason for the lack of legitimate children. He offered to “fix” the problem. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I told him that I was actually quite fond of Queen Margie and didn’t really want her killed.

Spymaster Anund shrugged and said that I had better pop out a Bastard the Nobles would accept.

So I did. I named him Bard.

79-09.jpg

Spymaster Anund came by the office again today. He was speaking in hushed tones, so I figured he wanted approval to murder someone.

I was right.

Anund offered to “take care of the littlest Bastard at court, Bard.”

I threw my ledger-book at him.

“Idiot! It was your idea for me to father him!”

Spymaster Anund’s face got red. “Oh yeah…right…never mind.”

Then he excused himself.

I am beginning to suspect he lied on his resume about all that Spymastering experience.

79-10.jpg

A paper airplane sailed into the window of Viken Castle. In the distance, you could hear a horse galloping away at speed.

When unfolded, I read the form letter of rebellion from the Duke of Iceland I had to laugh.

Seriously? The Civil War has been over for years buddy. You missed your chance on the “declare war and hope the King just lets you keep your lands” express.

And the Herald?

We caught him.

Skule wreaks bloody vengeance and fathers two more Bastards. Of course, he wouldn’t be a Crovan if someone didn’t rebel, but really Iceland? Is this a well thought out plan? Find out next time when Iceland makes a serious of irresponsible decisions, Christ returns to walk amongst the living and murder once more stalks the halls of Viken Castle on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ah ... finally some work for the Royal Herald Executioners.

Now for the tough questions: who's Skule's successor?
Why did you change from "the latter years" to "the middle years"? I know now, that you referred to the duration of the civil war, but that's rather confusing, since before you have always referred to the duration of the reign of the ruler concerned. (Civil) War or not. Maybe you'll want to change this for consistencies' sake.

Then again: maybe not.

Sokraates said:
Ah ... finally some work for the Royal Herald Executioners.

Now for the tough questions: who's Skule's successor?
Why did you change from "the latter years" to "the middle years"? I know now, that you referred to the duration of the civil war, but that's rather confusing, since before you have always referred to the duration of the reign of the ruler concerned. (Civil) War or not. Maybe you'll want to change this for consistencies' sake.

Then again: maybe not.

Consider it done!

Henceforth, the middle and latter years of Skule's reign (Post-Civil War) shall be referred to as the mid-latter and latter-latter years for consistencies sake!

(changing anything else would involve archive editing and that sounds suspiciously like work!)

I love that bastard event sequence!
Looks like Skule's successor is some duke, is he of your dynasty? I don't know what laws Norway is under now.

As for Iceland -- at least you're not yet in DV, so you can see where it is before you take that upstart Duke out ^.^

Mmm, shouldn't you leave Iceland being just useless and very cold as it's pretty expensive to go over there and it'll probably take like 300 years to earn it back from them... ;)

On the other hand it's a nice opportunity to get some heirs during the long and boring trip... :D

jordarkelf: I'm not really sure - to be honest I thought King Pal of Scotland was the heir!

Sometimes the event sequences are just hilarious...I've had a few like that this game.

Murmurandus: and yes, I realized a few hundred ducats too late that Iceland was definately not worth the effort.

1300-1304

Thoughts on his reign – the mid-latter years, 1300 – 1304

80-01.jpg

Iceland was so far away and, honestly, so not worth the effort, that I offered Duke Birger official recognition of his liberty in exchange for peace.

He refused.

80-02.jpg

Then, I offered him official recognition and all of my gold.

He refused again.

80-03.jpg

Instead, I spend the money to crush the Icelanders. Good plan Rebel Duke!

80-04.jpg

Now that I’ve had this opportunity to get to know the locals in Iceland, and in many cases stab them and take their chickens, I’ve decided to leave them in their well deserved squalor.

I mean, I can’t keep the place and, after the plundering I just gave it, the dump is just going to rebel anyway.

80-05.jpg

Bengt of Oland seems to have gone quite mad lately. We were all sitting around the fire, pounding mead last night when he suddenly jumped to his feet, hands clasped to his ears and grimacing as if in pain. Erik jumped up – they were famous friends – and tried to help him. Suddenly, Bengt grabbed Erik by the throat and screamed “GET OUT OF MY HEAD!”

Then he dashed Erik’s head against the fireplace until he expired and ran out of the Great Hall.

Contemplating Erik’s broken body; I came to the only logical conclusion: I must get Bengt on the payroll!

80-06.jpg

The Very Strange Week in Viken continued in the morning at breakfast. As we were all sitting down to eat, the doors crashed inward.

There stood Audun, dressed in a sack-cloth. A hair shirt visible beneath the tattered rags. On his shoulders, he was carrying a titanic cross and his eyes flashed with a supernatural light. Behind him, a line of irritable diners stretched down the hall. I guess he was moving a little slow with the cross and all.

“I am the Christ,” he announced, “returned with power as was fortold! Follow me, oh great King of the Frozen North! Bring your mightiest warriors, the dread Vikings, the feared Berserkers, your most powerful Huscarls! The Earth itself will tremble as we sail into the Holy Land, crushing the Saracens who dare cross you path! Onward to the Fields of Meggio where, with me by your side, you shall smite the enemies of the Lord and usher in the thousand year reign of the Prince of Peace!”

The look in his eyes compelled me.

I began to rise.

80-07.jpg

Bengt, who had been trying to squeeze past the messiah and into the breakfast hall without success, suddenly jumped on Audun and stabbed him to death with his breakfast fork.

The spell broken, I stood a moment contemplating the horrors that would have been my crusade. Living in tents. Stifling heat. Inevitable rebellions at home. I quietly thanked Bengt and resumed my seat.

The eggs were delicious.

80-08.jpg

Erik the Traitor of Uppland accepted my offer to rejoin the realm and assume the same position of subservience that he rebelled against a few years ago.

What could possibly go wrong?

80-09.jpg

Ingrid the Whore came by Viken Castle today with a little child swaddled in her arms. She told me that if there was not a large chunk of money forthcoming, Mrs. King of Norway would be getting a surprise visit from my newest Bastard Son Ivar.

I asked her for a week’s time to consider how much (or what far away lands!) to offer her.

She agreed.

80-10.jpg

Bengt had been hanging around during her visit and I saw him follow her out of the castle gates.

I’ve not asked him if he did anything, but I have noticed Ingrid hasn’t come back by, and it has been something like a month.

Well there you have it; Jesus returns and is yet again killed. Only this time by a lunatic drifter living at the court of King Skule. Join us next time when the Great Lords of Norway choose which of Skule’s many bastards to accept as a legitimate heir, a grand tournament is held and more people die on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Reactions:
Yay, raving lunatics are just fun... :D

Considering the mess the state of Norway is in, Berngt could well be one of the more sane persons. The Duke of Iceland is whom I call really insane.

This update was real hilarious. That Bengt-guy ought to be promoted immediately, alternatively placed as the duke of Iceland when another Crovan inevitably will re-conquer it.