• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Guiseppe Bufani writes

But before anyone could move, the door of the tavern was thrown open, and a half-dozen men, led by a fierce and angry looking warrior, strode into the room. They had their swords drawn, and it seemed to me that even in the tavern's gloom I could see blood dripping from the blades.

I was jostled to the side, as the four young men among my new companions drew together and stood infront of the tall leader.

The new-comers stopped. They peered into the corner, their eyes not yet accustomed to the shadows. Outside more armed men were gathering, pressing against the tavern's entrance. My father shrank back against the wall.

Then the leader of the men, who had spoken to me, pushed through his men and approached the warrior.

"It is I," he said simply.

To my astonishment, the warrior fell to his knee. He bowed his head and said: "Signore Campofregoso, my Duke, I am at your command."

I stared. It was the Duke himself! I had heard about the troubles, and the Milanese before the gates. Often my father had spoken of the Duke and praised his justice and wisdom. Today I had seen the first Milanese soldiers marching through the north gate. But was it come to this? The Duke Campofregoso, our Duke, was fleeing Genova?

"Rise, Enrice," said the Duke. "How many men have you brought?"

"No more than a score, and we had to fight our way out of the palace. The south, north and western gates are taken by the treacherous dogs. They are coming here. I could not reach Count Tostolli. Your son Romeo went ahead from the city. He will meet you at Pontevecchio."

"Will he?" said the Duke, looking up.

"Yes, but we must be gone, Signore. If the guard at the gate is not loyal, we have enough men to fight our way out. But I do not know how close the Milanese dogs are!"

"No need," said the Duke grimly, "we have a guide to find us a rathole in the wall." He gestured to me, and I was pushed forward.

Enrice gave me a hard look. Then he said, "kneel."

I knelt.

"What is your name?"

"I am Guiseppe Buffani."

"Do you swear, Guiseppe Buffani, fealty to your lord, the Duke Campofregoso?"

I swallowed. But I did not hesitate. "I swear it."

I held out my hands, and the Duke put his hands over mine, cupping them in his.

"As you are my man," the Duke said, "I shall be your lord and you will have my protection."

I looked up at him. "Signore," I stammered, "I will show you the postern."

And it was in this manner that I entered the service of Tomaso Campofregoso, the Duke of Genova, on the day of his flight from my beloved city of birth.

Well done Bloomfield! I could feel the tension radiating from my computer screen.;)

Joe

Guiseppe Buffani writes

I was running along the narrow mews that wound their way through the falling houses, stinking puddles, and rotting corpses of Genova's east end. Behind me I could hear the boots of the Duke and his men, and the soft chink of armor and weapons. The sound of the jeering and screaming rabble in the squares and markets receded.

My father had quickly given me a loaf of bread and a wine skin. I had nothing else, except my jerkin and a bread knife. As I stood panting in a gateway, peering ahead for Milanese soldiers, it seemed that today the fabric of my life had been rent, as the temple cloths at the twelfth hour on Golgotha. The sky had darkened then, and the world had cried out. So now my life had darkened. The sky threatened, and I wished to cry out.

I held up my hand, we would have to wait out an ox cart.

"My liege," I heard Enrice behind me say, "about Adorno..."

"What of the traitorous cur and his vile brood?"

"I saw him. He entered the city at the side of Visconte. Some were cheering for him in the streets. It was his followers who opened the door, I am sure. But whom they sent into the city, I do not know."

"Oh, the dog!" spat Campofregoso. "Had I but crushed him when I had it in my hand. My grandfather would die of shame to know of this day and see the Adorno ride into the city! Cannot we be gone yet, Guiseppe?"

I nodded mutely and we hurried on. Across the Strada Asperi, and back into the dark mews. Soon we arrived at the postern. I knew the guards, and they were loyal to the Duke, or at any rate wise enough not to quarrel with twenty swords.

The Duke did not flinch when I pointed down to the choked ravine. Even in the failing light we could see the dead rats drifting in the fetid water.

Receiving a nod, I jumped first.

It was midnight before we reached the monastery Santa Arielle by the beechwood copse. We had taken a wide detour to stay clear of the Milanese camps. From the church I led the Duke down through the valleys until we came to Monte Calcini. On the other side we would find Pontevecchio.

No one spoke much. The Duke's men were silent and determined in this grim hour. I did not know it at the time, but the Duke's youngest son was with us, and Enrice was his sister's son. Other members of the household were to join us in Pontevecchio, among them Romeo Campofregoso, the Duke's eldest son and heir.

We arrived at Pontevecchio a little before dawn. The count of Tostolli was there and brought news of Gabriele Adorno's treachery and how he had sided with the upstart Visconte. Romeo was there and embraced his father. He brought with him fourteen members of the household. He had learned much about the traitors in the guards and among the soldiers, and could list many secret supporters of the Adornos who had now come forward. Very many others, it seemed, had changed their allegiance as a vane will turn with the wind.

"How did you learn these hard news, my son?" the Duke asked then.

Romeo did not speak, but Enrice stepped forward and said, "He returned with one of the Adornos, Signore."

"Let him be brought before me," ordered the Duke. And when a slight, hooded figure was pushed forward, he frowned. Romeo shot a worried look at his father, but remained silent.

"Throw back your hood, man," the Duke said, "that I may judge your countenance and hear your tale. I wish to know how black a rogue and scoundrel you are; by your very ancestry I know you cannot be an honorable man."

Throwing back the hood, the figure stepped forward.

"You are right that I am no honorable man, Signore, for I am no man at all. I am the daughter of Gabriele Adorno, and you must save your insults for another one."

The Duke and all the gathered men gasped. I held my breath. The Duke gave his son a look of sheer surprise that grew to bewilderment as Romeo Campofregoso stepped close to the girl and put his arm around her, his chin held high.

Last edited:
OOC: First off, a big thank you to Sgt.B for guest posting. Nice to see you poking your head around again, sir.

Sharur: Thanks for the kudos on my post. Most of the characters and events are as close to reality as I could make it based on what source material I could find. There was one glaring mistake, and a bit of confusion regarding what happens to Campofregoso, but that came to light after I wrote the post. Literary license was effected to deal with those issues. :)

As for HolisticGod, RL has taken hold, and we have no idea if/when he'll return. One can only cross their fingers.

-------------------------------------

June 12, 1920: Cairo, Egypt

To say that Sir Jonathan Thomas York was not giddy with excitement would be an understatement. The sing-song wail of morning prayers brought him dreamily awake, white haired head resting on a sunken chest, book covering his belly where it had slumped when he had finally dozed off during the hour of the wolf.

Yawning lightly, the archeologist resisted the urge to resume reading. Instead he closed the tome and placed the massive book on an oak table. Sir Jonathan hauled his old, creaky frame from the plush chair and went for a bath, a change of clothes and finally, breakfast.

An hour later he was back on the narrow streets of Cairo, dodging street urchins, beggars and overeager merchants. He had discovered that his tobacco supply was dangerously low, and the thought of returning to the book without a full pipe was nigh unthinkable.

Around a corner and through a curtained door, the aging scholar stood inside the tobacconist, hands on hips. He quickly set out to restock a selection of his favourite blends. As he backed from a counter he brushed against a man behind him. Hurriedly he turned and removed his fedora, offering an apology, releasing the collection of tobacco so it tumbled to the floor.

"Ah dear, a pity God only supplied us with two hands." He began to bend to pick up the supply when the other man extended his hand in formal greeting. Sir Jonathan stopped, stood straight and offered his. "Sir Jonathan Thomas York sir, at your pleasure, and generally less clumsy, if you must know."

The other man smiled. His face was narrow, middle-aged, creased and dark with the Egyptian sun. He sported a pencil thin mustache. "Carter, Howard Carter. The pleasure is mine, sir. Here, let me help you."

As the two men bent to gather the packets of tobacco Sir Jonathan asked, "Are you the Carter that works for Lord Carnarvon?"

"Indeed I am, sir."

"Well then, the pleasure is doubly mine. I have heard of your exploits in the Valley of the Kings down Luxor way."

"Fascinating work, to be sure. I will admit that your name is familiar to me, too. I believe you deal in antiquities, sir."

Sir Jonathan beamed. "Yes I do. That is, when I'm not dabbling in some digging myself. Say, would you care to join me for coffee? My estate is just a short walk away. I have some artifacts that may be of interest."

And that is how Sir Jonathan Thomas York came to meet Howard Carter. Two years later the draughtsman turned archeologist would become eternally famous when he stumbled on an unopened tomb of a hitherto little known Pharaoh.

That evening Sir Jonathan found himself back in his plush chair, enjoying the aromas from the custom made pipe. His eyes wandered to the book, and before he knew it the volume was open on his lap. He began to read the next series of short entries.

During the month of January, in the year of our Lord 1422, a monopoly was re-established in Genoa. Gabriele Adorno impressed upon Doge Visconti's initial governor, the condiotierri leader Carmagnola, that a strong trade position was crucial to Genoa's well being. It is a testament to his intelligence that he agreed. However, later during the month a trade agreement was arranged with Savoy, though oddly enough Visconti refused the same request of Milan.

In February the monopoly in the Genoese center of trade was lost, a testimony to the ruthlessness among competing merchants.

The year 1423 was for the most part uneventful. In September Carmagnola quit his position, leading to eventual fallout with the Duke. The new Governor representing the Doge, who was off fighting somewhere near Venice, decreed that the fleet was too much of a drain on the economy, and ordered the monies available to maintain it to be halved. The resulting loss of jobs was not well received among the dockworkers.

In December of 1423 a monopoly was regained in the Genoese trade center, but was lost by February of 1424. I should note at this time that the Genoese treasury stood at some 186,000 Genoese Pounds.

The long simmering feud between the Adorno and Campofregoso families came to a head in the month of March, when the former Doge, now exiled as previously stated, returned to lead an uprising of 11,000 sympathizers. The Adorno family and the Milanese Governor grew alarmed, and appealed to the Doge for help.

Francesco Maria Visconti returned word that he would not tolerate revolt, and authorised the use of force to deal with the Campofregoso family and supporters.

A great battle was fought on April 6, in the year of our Lord 1424. The Genoese army of 9,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry, under the command of men loyal to Gabriele Adorno, defeated the 11,000 infantry loyal to the Campofregoso. The exiled family once again slipped from the country; some say to the court of Aragon's King Alfonso, though it was still believed there was much enmity between the two.

In a ploy to take the population's mind from the recent battle and the turmoil the uprising had created, a royal marriage was arranged, with great fanfare, to the country of Modena. Celebrations lasted near a fortnight.

It should be noted that in December of the same year Modena annexed Naples, after a protracted war.

In January of 1425 the treasury stood near 192,000 Genoese Pounds. By August a trade agreement had been signed with Modena, and ties to the country strengthened.

Military theorists from Florence introduced detailed drawings on ways to improve fortresses, a growing necessity since the advent of gunpowder and the invention of bombards had made castles virtually obsolete. In October the Doge gave his approval to study the new methods, though no monies would be spent at the time to improve Genoese fortifications. At the same time he advocated a more offensive approach to the country's military doctrine, a move that caused some unrest among the more conservative and defensive minded nobles. Doge Visconti decreed that the extra monies were to be directed into improvements in Genoa's infrastructure.

In January, the year of our Lord 1426, the treasury stood at 213,000 Pounds. By March the unrest over the past year's decision had subsided, and the country returned to some semblance of normalcy.

May 19 saw the formation of a Company that immediately gained a monopoly due to the uniqueness of its product. The residuals alone immediately generated 100,000 Genoese Pounds for the treasury. On the same day ties with Tuscany were enhanced through yet another royal marriage.

On December 25 a monopoly was regained in Genoa's rather active center of trade.

At the beginning of 1427 the treasury increased to 331,000 Pounds. Unfortunately, the monopoly was lost yet again by early February, due to fierce competition. The Governor decided that wasting money on such a transient target was no longer worth the effort, and decided to leave the markets open, so long as Genoa maintained a dominant position.

The balance of the year passed with little of interest to report, as did the year of our Lord, 1428. The only event worthy of note was the trade agreement that was finally reached with Milan, on August 2nd. Doge Visconti obviously had a shrewd change of heart in matters of trade with his Milanese duchy.

On January 1, in 1429, the treasury stood at 166,000 Genoese Pounds. On August 4 the alliance with Savoy and Milan expired, but through the tireless efforts of Gabriele Adorno it was resurrected among the principle members, with the proviso put forward by Visconti that Genoa would head the coalition. Adorno went one step further and asked Siena to consider membership, but was politely rebuffed. However, plans for closer ties were discussed, and on September 14th the two countries agreed upon a marriage of state.

The subsequent years from 1430 to 1432 were particularly unnoteworthy, save for the month of October in 1430 when the Duke of Burgundy grossly insulted the Doge, creating an undercurrent of anxiety and rumblings of possible war. Fortunately, rumblings are all they turned out to be.

In January, the year of our Lord 1433, the treasury stood at 446,000 Genoese Pounds. March 6th became a landmark day among the Black Sea possessions when Kerch officially converted to the Catholic religion, abandoning her tenuous hold on the Orthodox faith. Time would tell if Kaffa would follow her neighbour along the righteous path.

As with other years previous, 1434 passed without incident. The only information of mild interest to impart was a declaration by the Mameluks, whereby they assumed the title of Sole Defender of the Moslem Faith.

In January, the year of our Lord 1435, the treasury was reported to be 492,000 Pounds. On the 23rd of November Doge Francesco Maria Visconti proclaimed that the Aristocracy would have their influence on matters of internal government reduced, allowing the citizen and merchant class more say in Genoese policies.

Yet again the nobles were insulted, and an undercurrent of unrest ruled the land. This time it would have disastrous consequences on the Milanese Governor, and ultimately Doge Visconti himself.

On December 28th, after a rule of 14 years in absentia, the Duke of Milan lost control of Genoa during a revolt by the enraged population. There was a short rule by a group known as the Eight Captains of Freedom, whereby it passed to a relative unknown, an elderly man by the name of Isnardo Guarco. That was to last for only a short while, and on April 4 of the following year, Tomasso de Campofregoso returned to power.

Fascinating, Sir Jonathan thought to himself. He sighed and stared at the empty fireplace, contemplating the passages just completed, then began to flip to the first of the numbered references. It had to do with a revolt in Genoa...

Last edited:
Sir Jonathan was particularly intrigued by several indexed notes that seem to provide more insight into the feud between the Adorno and Campofregoso families, and its violent outcome. Turning to the first of these, seemingly a letter from the Count of Tostolli to his sister who was, at that time, in residence in Corsica , he began reading while absently packing his pipe with a few pinches of sweet, aromatic tobacco.

February 14th, 1424

My dear, sweet Carmella

I cannot begin to tell you what these past months, even years, have been like. Though I remain safe, here in Pontevecchio, and in the company of the former Duke and his entourage, I feel much as a rabbit must feel when it pokes its nose out of its burrow every night: at once grateful for the freedom to run across the meadows as I will, yet fearful that any one of seemingly a hundred predators might make a meal of me. I do not think I have the stomach or the heart for such things.

These past two years and more have been a waking nightmare. The escape from Geneva, the treachery of the despicable familia Adorno, the unnatural governance under the so-little-caring Milanese Visconti’s and their little puppets, and now, all unwittingly and undesiredly, I find myself caught up in a whirlwind of events that may yet overwhelm me. I fear to even whisper the word that I write: treason

As you know, Tomasso Campofregoso has suffered humiliation such as no man should ever have to endure. He is not a patient man and would see done, overnight, that which should take many years of careful forethought. He seeks to redeem his family name and reinstate himself as Doge of Genoa, yet he truly lacks the resources or the trained men to aid him in this reconquest of what he feels is rightfully his station.

The headstrong young Romeo does not aid matters in the slightest, raging at even the slightest provocation, and far to quick to draw his sword for my liking. Mark my words, it will be the death of him some day, if it is not his father first.

The young daughter of the familia Adorno who Romeo dotes so upon - a delightful though most headstrong personage of such divine gracefulness that I can almost think of her as your equal at times – proves to be, most unfortunately, a constant source of friction between the former Doge and his son. Tomasso barely restrains himself from spitting in her face and I have heard him say fewer than five words to her in all the time she has been here. I think he views her as the enemy personified, and that she betrayed some of her dastardly father’s evil plans is only confirmation of this in his mind, even though he has benefited from her intelligence.

Romeo, by contrast, contemplates her more with his heart than with his head, blindly following wherever she would lead. I like not the path her steps would have that he tread, for they seem to lead back to Geneva and certain death.

Unfortunately, in this sole direction can father and son agree – the elder to regain his fortunes and his mantle; the youth merely to win her heart. Somehow, each pins his hopes in achieving his goal on the exposure and downfall of Gabriele Adorno, the patriarch of the familia, though what twisted logic leads them down this path is not clear to my weary eyes.

And so both have resolved and covenanted to return, in force, to the capital in March. To this very purpose they are both scouring the countryside for whatever rabble they can convince to bear arms in their cause, and have even sent the endearing young lad (I don’t know if you’ll recall him from your brief stay here two years ago as you made your pilgrimage to our holy father in Rome) as I was saying, sent young Giuseppe Buffani back to the city in advance, to try to raise support for them inside the gates of the city.

It seems to me, though I am soldier none, that the peasants and street urchins that they can hope to raise to their cause will be poorly trained and even more poorly equipped should the Governor be authorized to use the full might of the army to quell their intended uprising. I have said as much to Tomasso, but he insists that no true Genoese militiaman would raise his hand against a fellow countryman at the behest of a foreign despot who uses us as merely additional leverage in his wars of trade. With the son, there sense to be had lest it be to see him wed to his heart’s desire.

In deference to my former master’s wishes, I have pledged a full 1,000 of my own footmen as his guard, and I have laid open my coffers and my stores for whatever profit it may find him – which I fear will be little and may beggar me in the end. I cannot in good conscience, though, deny him for his cause is just. Though I fear in my heart that it is doomed to failure, I must trust in my faith in the Lord that our deliverance from evil may come, in so noble a venture, for did He not also deliver the people of Israel from the hands of their Egyptian oppressors.

You will call me a fool, I am sure. But know you, as you read this, that I have cast my lot on behalf of what I feel is right, and just. If this deed ends in failure, know you that I have deposited the bulk of my wealth with a young merchant banker I know, and have left him instructions to release the account only to you. His name is Angelo Boccanegro who keeps an office at the Banco San Giorgio in the Piazza Fontana in Geneva; a charming gentleman of surprising discretion and utmost honour. He has the great pleasure to have recently become engaged to the daughter of the Marchese Negrone – Ophelia is her name – and I have promised him 10% of my holdings if he faithfully carries out this appointment (as father always said, “a little bribery never hurts”).

Should I never see your beautiful face, so dear to me since I was a boy and you a babe in our mother’s arms, again on this side of Saint Peter’s Gates, then know that I shall always love and watch over you, wherever I may be.

Your devoted brother.

Antonio

And below his signature, the crest of the Count of Tostolli.

Sir Jonathan realised, with a start, that he had been holding the unlit pipe for some minutes already, caught up in what he already knew would be a tragic tale. He fumbled for a match, dropping the opened silver box on the floor and being forced to divert himself briefly from his reading to collect them back up again and replace them in their carrying compartment.

Once settled again, he placed the pipe stem in his now dry mouth, struck a match on the coarse hinge-side of the functional ornament, and drew deeply several times. He lifted the book back up from the table, and opened it once more to the point he had left off. He had but to advance to the next page to read the second reference, and felt a strange reluctance to do so. Shaking off the mood, he thumbed the corner and turned...

OOC: MrT, fabulous! Great stuff. Wonderful. So good in fact that I cannot resist... I hope LD will forgive me. :)

--------------------------------------------------------

Sir Jonathan lifted the book back up from the table, and opened it once more to the point he had left off. He had but to advance to the next page to read the second reference, and felt a strange reluctance to do so. Shaking off the mood, he thumbed the corner and turned the page only to find a loose piece of vellum, or perhaps parchment, stuck between the pages of the heavy volume. It had been smoothed and subdued by the weight of the book, but it was obvious at a glance that it rivaled the bound pages in antiquity and that it had at one time been crumpled or folded. The writing, unlike the careful caligraphy of the book, was hasty and irregular.

With a puzzled look, and a tremor of excitement, Sir Jonathan read:

March 3, 1424

Count T.:
This Note must bear you ill Tidings, and yet I pray that it may reach You. I have entered the City and at first my hopes were high. But the false Doge is careful and serpent at his right hand vigilant. After contacting several men in whom my father and I trusted, and who could have swayed many, including perhaps the City guards, I contracted for a meeting at Il Barba Rossa. Alas, I returned to that place of my childhood to find it newly ravaged and burned, my father dragged off to the vaults, and Pietro Cannellini slayn.

I may yet achieve something, but I fear our move may be anticipated. Of this the Duke must be informed, and no hopes should be harboured that the City will rise in his support.

In haste,
G.B.

Sir Jonathan relaxed and took a breath. He found he had been holding his breath. The struggles of these men were so near. He carefully replaced the loose sheet and with his finger sought the writing on the open page before him....

OOC: Man, if it wasn't for the number of views, I'd swear we were playing in an empty ball-park...

---------------------------------

March 5, 1424

To,

The Most Revered Francesco Maria Visconti, Duca of Milan, Doge of Venice, Etcetera, Etcetera.

My Lord Duca, it pains your humble servant to report such distressing news, but I find myself bound by duty to do so. Please forgive me.

It is with the utmost urgency that I inform you of secret plottings of a most vile and treasonous nature.

On this day I have been informed that Tomasso Campofregoso, may that his name be damned to eternal hellfire, has seen fit to create unrest and mischief in your domain of Genoa.

To wit, the possibility of uprising among the less loyal of your subjects is both real and substantial. I have taken the steps to secure some such treasonous persons, each of who have confessed to said foul plotting, all under the all-seeing eyes of God.

I ask that you allow me the privilege of dealing with these rebels as I see fit, for I fear this land could be at risk. An answer is most urgently requested, for the sake of the realm.

Your Humble Servant,

Governor Antonnio Apuzzo

March 12, 1424

To,

Governor Apuzzo,

It is by God's will that you have uncovered this plot against us. Therefore it is by God's will that we grant you leave to deal with T. Campofregoso and his rabble. We have sent you an additional 2,000 infantry and 500 cavalry to use as you must. Examples must be made.

Do not fail us in this.

F.M.Visconti

From the Memoirs of Angelo Facca

March 3, 1424

Even though I have faced death more than once, and sent many brave men to eternal damnation, I have always found it troublesome to condemn the mere innocent to such an ignoble fate.

I had heard the rumours of unrest; dangerous hearsay that permeated the countryside and infiltrated the city. They were not unlike all the other rumours that had passed through the taverns and halls and market places since Tomasso Campofregoso had slipped into exile three years past.

However, this time there appeared to be substance to these stories, and the word from my patrons, House Spinola, was that House Adorno and Governor Apuzzo were nigh agitated. And it was not long 'ere we were sent into the streets bearing lists of suspected collaborators.

I was handed one such list, and as I read it, my heart grew heavy with the names I recognized. Were these people truly fermenting rebellion? Or were they the unfortunate political opponents of House Adorno?

But because it was my duty, I had no choice other than to carry out my orders. All through the night we roamed the streets of Genoa, knocking on doors and taking shocked citizens into custody. Not surprisingly, many other condottieri lieutenants dealt with the suspects in their own brutish manner, and I learned the following day that several Genoese had been murdered, their homes and places of business looted and fired, as is the way of the mercenaries.

One such man I knew through passing acquaintance. His last name was Buffani. I will never forget the imploring look he gave me as they led him onto the street. It took all my resolve to maintain an impassive stance.

I never saw him again.

Sir Jonathan turned the page...

OOC: Sgt. B, I was going to write it a little differently but after your fantastic trio of posts I couldn’t resist picking up where you left off…particularly since it was the perfect setup. Considering how carefully structured this AAR is (in the background) it’s incredible that your most recent post fits exactly with the plot line we worked out about a week and a half ago too! (Or did a little bird drop by and see you sometime recently?:))

LD: Couldn’t agree more. Must be a Jays game. :D (Toronto fans are notoriously quiet, even when the Skydome is SRO)

The next entry was identified as having been drawn from the diary of Romeo Compofregoso. Before reading it, Sir Jonathan rang for a servant and asked him, politely, to prepare a light snack and a post of coffee. He had a feeling it would be another long night…

March 28, 1424

I have but few minutes to write, but I must make haste to do so lest I fall this day and my true love receive no word from me at all. I trust to all that is good in the world that I shall not perish, though things seem very bleak indeed at this moment. Else, I pray ye, whoever so openeth this journal of my like, that ye deliver it unto my surviving familia who will know for whom it is destined.

The past few days have been heady ones indeed. I was able to raise almost 3,000 peasant farmers and labourers in the villages surrounding Pontevecchio to aide in our most noble and righteous cause. My father has called upon our loyal familia throughout the region and has swelled our number to ten thousand. Though they are but simple men, I had thought that they would suffice to frighten the Geneva city guards to gain us unopposed access to the city and the lecherous, incestuous, criminal devil: Gabriele Adorno. To think that a man who would so torment his only daughter could enjoy such a high standing in the ranks of the nobility!

It was an added blessing when the one who has given us shelter these three long years committed his sword to my father and that of his own guardia of one thousand! It makes my heart leap for joy. Ah, nigh well as strong as it does for my heart’s desire, she of the radiant countenance, ruby lips, and such soft, tender beauty that it makes mine eyes weep merely to think upon her glory.

A full eleven thousand men; that is the vanguard we marched so confidently with towards the city; never thinking that treachery and despair would lay before us like the pall upon our dreams, our hopes, our desires.

But it is treachery that we found this morning, not five leagues from the city gates. Where we thought to find none, or merely the half-waking idle city guards who would sense futility and lay down their arms at the merest glimpse of our legions, we found instead, arrayed against us, a full complement of the country’s militia. Rather than greeting us, their compatrioni, they deny us our passage and demand that we surrender to the Governor’s mercy – something neither I nor my father would e’er do while a single breath still remained within our lungs.

My father’s dreams, of late, have been filled with visions of reinstatement, of riches, of power; and in such trappings would he robe himself for his desires are all too predictable. While mine; I seek vengeance for a wrong so foul, visited upon a child so fair and sweet. My heart will break if this deed not be complete before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Only then will she be set free from the ravages of her childhood and be willing to enter into wedlock with me, the only one in whom she finds any joy or comfort.

I know not how we shall fare against so well-trained and mighty an army; one that even those well-versed in making such estimates would say is close to our own in number. I have directed my men as best I can into lines to meet their inevitable charge, and my father has taken the centre to direct and inspire the men. I am to join the Count and his men on the flank, to prevent it from being overrun. We shall have to trust that doubling up on the other flank will suffice as we have no truly able field generals in our midst. We are, after all, less of an army than a motivated mob. We have the high ground which I was told once is a good thing. We shall have to hope so.

Oh god. Here they come. I am sore afraid. I hope the men don't break...

And this where the day's journal entry had ended, apparently.

The servant had returned with the pot of very strong, dark, bitter coffee as well as a small cup and several canes of sugar...one of Sir Jonanthan's favourites. To go with these were an assortment of fruits, cheeses and small wedges of pita bread. He thanked the man and dismissed him for the evening, promising not to stay up too late this night as he had promised Mr. Carter that he would break his fast with him in the morning.

Helping himself to a cup and a wedge of Edam, he turned the page...

From the Memoirs of Angelo Facca

April 6, 1424

I write this account well after the fact. It should be noted that I take no pride, or solace in this sorry tale or murder and slaughter.

As the rumours of unrest across Genoa grew, the arrests continued. Many of the people that I knew I never saw again, and those I met afterwards would not talk about their ordeal. As it happens with many such rumours, at their base lies a grain of truth, and on the 28th of March the countryside rose up in revolt against the rule of Visconti.

Just past a week into the uprising, we faced the rebel army on a field of rolling hills scant miles from Geneva. Bolstered by troops supplied by Doge Visconti, we numbered somewhere near 9,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry; a mixture of professional condottieri and trained militia. Facing us was an army. No, that would do it justice. They were in reality scarce more than a rabble, numbering in the realm of 11,000 men. In the midst of them, standing like a rock in a swirling ocean of confusion, was a knot of infantry, professionals by their demeanor. They would be our rightful test, though in truth there were not enough of them to affect the outcome.

After some initial parley, in which our commanders demanded abject surrender, the signal was given and our men marched eagerly forward. The condottieri were most fervent, for they sensed an easy victory and the spoils that was part and parcel of their business.

Breaking ahead of the advance, the cavalry charged into a peasant wing, swords rising and falling in a rhythm of death and destruction. The men cheered their fellows on with words of encouragement, rattling swords and pikes.

The ground was covered swiftly, the last piece of earth a rigorous climb uphill. The rebel professionals used the impetus of their higher position and charged down into our ranks. It was a desperate move to break our center, and to the casual observer it would have appeared to be working, but our men regrouped and soon the brave 1,000 found themselves isolated. Pressed on all sides, they could do little but prolong their death or surrender.

It was butchery. The peasant rabble put up a fight, but pitchforks and rusty old swords were no match for Italian armour and trained killers who delighted in taking the lives of others.

It was a day like this that reminded me why condottieri were so despised by peasant, citizen, and noble alike. Despised, but required.

To my humble credit, I refrained from killing that day. The flat of my blade was the only weapon I employed to stun and chase the foe away. For this was no battle. It was slaughter, plain and simple.

Many prisoners were gathered from that sorry field, and true to Doge Visconti's command, many examples were made. The Governor presented graphic illustrations to the Genoese people what it meant to rebel. The bodies were on display for months.

The population was cowed, and they would not find the nerve to revolt for another ten years.

Sir Jonathan shook his head, slowly, then turned the page. He was delighted to discover a rather lighthearted account...

Last edited:
Well, it does seem like you all are playing to an empty house, but I'm still here. I'm like that lone Florida Marlins fan at the day game against the Expos :D

You're doing a great job, though. If it were in the slightest bit practical, I would suggest that you write a group novel. Though I suppose MrT and Lord Durham could do it.

Praise and Adulation

To all those involved in this work:

I have never posted on this board until now. But, seeing that comment is called for, I shall do so. Since I began to read this section of the EUII board sometime in January, I have read many wonderful tales by many talented writers. I have cried in frustration at the death of civilizations, and laughed with the misadventures of meddlesome monarchs. I must say, however, that few tales have brought to light the details of a city, the life of a state and its people, as your yarn on the Genoese has. I particularly enjoyed the manner in which both tax collection and the trials of merchants have been dealt with, often underutilized aspects in AARs. In closing, I can only say, "Praise them with Great Praise!"

Valandil

[ooc: let's try this again! :D]

With a stoic grunt, Sir Jonathan noted that the next account was centered on finance and economics, two of his least favorite topics. Still, there might be something of worth in it. There was no name given for the author, nor a title.

Later, Leonardo Fortonato would remark, "You should understand that such events, the ones that touch all men in all nations, even if in a most trivial way, simply do not occur in a void. Something always comes first."

Sig. Fortonato was the puppeteer behind a great many "such events", some that touched men trivially and some that most certainly did not. In the case of his earliest and most celebrated, some would same infamous, manipulation of the Hearts and Minds of his peers, the thing that happened first occurred half an ocean away.

In May of 1432, Murad II of Bursa, which we call Nicaea, and Izmir, which we call Adrianople, though usually a level-headed, courteous man, lost patience with John VIII of Constantinople, who we call King of the Greeks, though he pretends to the title of Roman Emperor. War was declared. The Greeks put up a better fight than one might expect, due to the presence of John's youngest son, Constantine, who had apparently built a 6-mile wall across the Isthmus of Corinth to guard his southern holding, the Morea.

But on the 11th day of the 11th month of the following year, the city of Genoa had brokered a peace between the rising and falling empires. The cost to Greek pride, and coffers, was steep: 25,000 Genovese pounds and the entire peninsula of the Morea were to go to the Turk. Few in Europe took note. Leonardo Fortonato, in service to his elderly father-in-law, Antonio Palena, doyen of Genovese finance, took decided note.

The Morea was not good for much. It had a strong citadel, Mistra, which had incongrously been the scene of a culture flourish over the last few decades. However, all those scholars and churchmen now fled to our fair city in the wake of the Turk. Other than that, the Morea most grew grapes and olives. As it had since ancient times. Then, as now, both were greatly prized commodities. But once the Turk arrived, the flow of products, particularly that most important oil of the olive, slowly dried up.

Leonardo noticed that members of the chefs' guild were complaining about the higher cost of olive oil. One or two smaller restaurants closed, while the rest either ate the cost or passed it along to the indebted nobles. But that got Leonardo to thinking. Not that anyone at the time realized that he was thinking. In 10 years of marriage to his hideous wife, he had never been observed to flinch when seeing or hearing her, so he was obviously a man in control of outward appearances.

Instead he acted. No one knows for sure where he got the capital. He had probably squirrelled some of it away. As for the rest, he was on very good terms with his father-in-law. But be that as it may, the tall, confident man with the unyielding bargaining style was soon buying up every batch of olive oil he could get his hands on. He made a minuscule profit on it, and then stopped. People figured he had learned his lesson. In reality, he was refining his approach.

The summer of 1434 was a remarkable year for those who followed the Mode. There had been several scientific breakthroughs that had left all of northern Italy aflutter. Some young mill-designers had discovered that machinery could be made to work more smoothly when a good lubricant was used at key junctions. They eventually settled upon olive oil.

The Holy Father, at that time inclined towards one of his periodic interdictions upon the Venetians and therefore listening to his Genovese friends, declared to his monastic orders that anointing oneself with olive oil was the key to suppressing carnal urges.

Fathers, hearing what the monastic fathers were doing, promptly grabbed their daughters and started anointing them as well. This would not have lasted very long, except that every noblewoman in the city knew that year that olive oil was good for the fact. And so one would see all the Great Ladies strolling about with olive oil dripping off their faces.

In a happy confluence of clothing fashion with social fashion, at least for young men of 20 and 50, that year designers decided that it was stylish to show more bosom. Quite alot of bosom, in fact. So these young ladies, with the olive oil dripping down their faces, ended up oiling other parts as well.

Industry ground to a halt. Farms went unsowed and untilled. Officers abandonned their armies. Madams declared that, far from suppressing desires, olive oil was precisely that which was needed to revive them in those who were flagging. And so began the Great Olive Oil Bubble of 1434.

But it seemed that there was no olive oil to be found! Or, rather, it could be found, but at exorbitant prices. It seems that Leonardo had not bought one year's olive oil, but three. He could not corner the entire market, of course, but once the other sellers saw how much he was selling his for, they raised their prices to match. People were so desperate that they would pay any amount.

To make matters worse, Leonardo had been taking all his profits and using them to buy out the olive oil contracts from other merchants for the next season as well. Then, in August, when he had only used up half his stock, he simply stopped selling. Prices soared, and suddenly young ladies were tearfully refusing to go outside and be seen oil-less.

Throughout the winter, there was a frenzy of wheeling-and-dealing at the trading houses, with Sig. Fortonato at the center of it all. But he continued to accumulate, claiming that this was just the beginning, that soon olive oil would, like some kind of ambrosia, be worth more than liquid gold.

I overheard this conversation myself, at a popular winery near the downtown countinghouses. It occurred the following June of 1435. Prices on olive oil had soared even higher as the summer returned, and the speculation had spilled over into other viscous substances such as tar, though that did not last long.

Sig. Fortonato was concluding a very difficult and involved transaction to sell off all his olive oil futures contracts, en masse. The agent, whose name I never learned, had brought the final papers, and the two sat there. Leonoardo would make a point and the agent would attempt to demur, but usually Leonardo got his way. Across the room, Cosimo Larente, who had hated Fortonato since their youth for the latters great success at financial matters, and for his marital relations with Quaestor Palena, glared at him with undisguised malice.

Finally, he dipped his quill in ink - he was not one of those who had switched to using olive oil instead, claiming it was too hard for him to read words written in olive oil, a complaint which is in fact valid - and scrawled his distinctive signature on the contract. The agent handed over the letter of currency in return, and the transaction was done. Someone had just become the most powerful merchant in Genoa.

When Cosimo let out a triumphant snarl and bounded across the room, there was no doubt who had been the secret buyer.

"Leo, you fool, you just sold that oil for half its market value! With the profits, I'll pay the Council to run you out of Genoa themselves!" Cosimo was spitting in his excitement. His cheeks were flushed with animation, and the sheen of fashionable olive oil smeared upon his face.

Leonardo simply shrugged. "Hmm. Frankly, I don't see why people are still buying this stuff. It neither helps nor hinders the fleshly urges. Although it looks good on bosoms, it certainly does not on the face. In fact, I just sold all of my olive oil stocks for twice what you paid. It just made me feel awful to see people so desperate for a simple cooking oil that they were willing to pay so much."

Beads of sweat suddenly started to appear on Cosimo's face, which was a most horrific effect given that the beads would not mix with the oil.

When the Bubble collapsed, olive oil prices dropped to their lowest levels in 50 years. It was said that people were using it to wash with, since it was cheaper than water, but that seems rather implausible, given the unpleasantness of being doused in olive oil. Though it was difficult to tally the damages, Cosimo's mass purchase had destroyed several banking houses in addition to his own. In all, prices were estimated to have risen by 10% for all commodities in the space of a few months.

There was another conversation that I had been privy to, the winter of 1435, while the Bubble was still expanding.

The Doge had called upon Quaestor Palena and Sig. Fortonato.

"This is getting completely out of hand!" the Doge thundered. "I come back from important business in Milan, and this is what I find?"

The Quaestor smiled a partially-toothed smile. "It is simply the merchants buying and selling. What do you want me to do?"

"And the way the young ladies ... glisten ..." He stopped to mop his brow. "It's indecent! There must be something you can do, before this ruins half the traders in the city. Do you know how much even normal products, like lumber, are costing now?"

The Queastor turned to Sig. Fortonato who spread his hands innocently. "Such a thing could be arranged, but it would be very difficult. Stocks of existing olive oil would have to be slowly disbursed, futures would have to be managed ... it's a very intricate, time consuming, expensive operation. Otherwise, the inflation will continue amok," he said softly. "But not too expensive for the Doge who loves his city, I would presume."

The Doge was glaring daggers now. "How much?"

"100,000 pounds should suffice."

The Doge snorted. "I don't love this city that much. I'm going back to Milan. Who cares if bread costs 11 pounds instead of 10, anyway?"

In such ways are made the events that touch all men, even if in a most trivial way.

Sir Jonathan rubbed his eyes. Frankly, he hadn't understood at all. Was this like the Dutch tulip mania, or the great South Sea Bubble? He much preferred battles of swords or wits than those of numbers. He turned to the next account hopefully.

driftwood

Guys, I'm dropping in to say that I'm reading this AAR with great interest, and that I'm too awestruck, actually, to say something more meaningful. Don't worry about the lack of posts, I think most of us AAR writers feel the same. It's just that some AARs invite to more silly posting (yeah, you know which ones), and it's easier to post there... :)

Hmmm... time to give PopStars a nudge...

Sir Jonathan sat, the voluminous tome upon his lap, smoking his pipe. As always, that succulent herb had had him thinking. “How,” he wondered, “how is it that this book, consisting of reports from so many prominent persons, throughout so vast a time period, could have been completely unmentioned in the historical record. The diversity in reports is simply amazing; there are men of all different professions, times, classes, statures, and even…” he now began to look furiously through the indexes, “locales!”
As he began to read the indexes, he briefly forgot his thoughts; however, new and more interesting ones began to surface. At this his servant arrived, carrying a vast platter of sweet meats, accompanied by local breads and fruits. He began to reflect on the exoticness of the whole situation, eating a wonderful mango as he was, and thought to himself that it might be interesting to read a bit about the lands outside of Genoa proper. “Well, I certainly have no idea where Kerch might be, but it certainly must be outside Italy... what I wouldn’t give for my atlas!”

Dearest Isnardo,
It has rent me for some time now, this feeling that I had ought to send you this letter, coupled with the shame of its truth. Now, please try to contain your shock at the things which I am telling you, which truthfully have shocked and repelled me in the doing.

Now, I believe it will do you no good should I, through shame and guilt, should leave out any part of this dastardly tale, and therefore I shall start at the very beginning. While I am sure you know the stories of my early career, I have not divulged to any of my parishioners the awful truths which surrounded me at that time, as I have endeavored to shield myself with innocence and ignorance. By now, however, I feel it is my time to repent, and think of this letter as the first step towards doing so.

As you no doubt know, it was in the year of our lord fourteen hundred and twenty four that I left Genoa for the first time in my life, at the age of 32. I had just visited His Holiness in Rome to receive my ordination, and the charter for my Church. To be painfully honest, the construction on my Church had begun years ago, as I had been guaranteed a place in the clergy for quite some time. The manifold stories which you have heard and I have encouraged of my building of the Church with my own hands are little more than fancy.

I will not bore you with the details of my journey from Rome to Kerch, where my Church had been built, though they were filled with many adventures and sights. Let me say only that, when I arrived on the Black Sea, I had seen more good and more evil than many stout men will throughout the whole of their lives.

It has often been asked why I chose to put my ministry in Kerch rather than a properly Christian land. Idealism, as is its wont, tends to run ever more headily towards those whom combine fervent Christianity and temporal wealth. I had considerable amounts of both.

This idealism was not tempered quickly upon my landing in those heretical lands; nay, neither heresy most foul nor the most tepid cesspools of the Crim could dampen my spirit. No, it was the lack of hope in my brothers, men who had been so like me several years ago when they departed, who were now broken in the trying to convert the men of broken soul which populate all lands of hereticism and poverty. It was probably his unquenchable confidence which first drew me to the man I knew as Signor Moncerelli.

I think it necessary at this point to relate to you the situation of Kerch at this very time. I would like to convince myself that this is only important to your understanding, but, truth be told, it is as much to excuse my actions as anything else.

At that time a small cadre of Genovese noble immigrants ruled over the land. They were the core of my small flock. To be sure, some of the more pragmatic locals had accepted the One True Church, but these were few. I would estimate that some one in ten people within Kerch followed the Church, whilst the rest were split between hereticism and heathenism. It truly matters not, though I understand it that the heretics were much greater in number than the heathens.

I must admit to having been immediately surprised to find a man such as Signor Moncerelli in such a desolate land. He was able, gay, and seemed to me to be ill suited to country life. I later came to find out that he had been forced to exile himself after what I can only politely call “marital problems.” I shall say no more than that he came often and unexpectedly to confessional, and that, unless he thoroughly enjoyed repeating “Hail Mary” twenty times a Sunday, his appetite for debauchery was vast indeed.

On might wonder why I, a man of the cloth, would debase myself by calling such a man my friend. Well, at the time I thought that my pious ways would make him a better Christian, and that he might be my first conversion. Yes, my first. The tales that I almost miraculously began conversions quickly upon my arrival are again untrue. Truth be told, I had made absolutely no progress for nigh upon six years after my arrival.

It was after one of my many lengthy confessional visits with the self-same Signor, sometime in November of fourteen hundred and twenty nine when I was inspired to preach a sermon of conversion. It was true that I had lost my drive to convert, but I had not yet lost my wish to do so.

Looking out upon my flock, I was quite surprised to see, in the eyes and actions of Moncerelli, what I could only at the time attribute to proselytical zeal. This inspired me further, and I do not exaggerate to say that I spoke with a strength and a zeal as yet unheard of in those parts. I must admit, it is nigh upon impossible to create a frenzy among Italian exile nobles in the early morning, but I came as close as I possibly could have.

After closing my sermon, and before resuming my clerical duties, I was approached, quickly and excitedly by the Signor. While he was quite tactful in his offer, it did come across clearly. He was offering me money. An incredible amount of money, and his personal support, to convert the heretics. Even I, as innocent as I was at the time, understood that the latter was by far more important than the former.

Perhaps I had ought to explain. Like nearly all the nobles of Kerch, he was involved in the silk trade between our nation and the heretics of Georgia. However, his involvement in this trade was insignificant compared to his wealth. I and all others knew his true wealth to come from usurious loans to stupid blaspheming heretics. Further, he imported vast amounts of poppies, for what use I cannot conceive. I am told that he crushed the herb for medicinal value, though when I myself attempted to duplicate this, I became little more than dizzy, faint, ill, and tired.

He also had under his control large numbers of Eastern Pagans and Islamists, who through various methods of violence and destruction ensured the payment of his loans. He often confessed to me that these groups committed murders most foul, though he always insisted that he neither knew nor ordered these particularly heinous deeds. Of course, I would always say that God was blind to the difference. I think he was both comforted and confounded by my constant goodliness.

In any case, the lucre he was offering was most definitely filthy. However, I turned a blind eye to my conscious, and sacrificed the means to the end, which is in all cases a most unchristian thing to do. I accepted his money. From then on, I was in thrall of powers quite beyond my understanding, though I did know one thing about them. They repulsed me.

With this money, I was able to support the construction of several new Churches. I was quickly recognized as the foremost Priest in the whole of the land. Now, heretics are not so easily converted as many have presented them to be, regardless of their weak souls. I took dramatic steps. I began to call on the resources Signor Moncerelli had at his control; specifically, the gangs of goons he employed.

I cannot explain why exactly I took such action; I believed at the time that, should I be successful in my endeavor, God would forgive, and then some. He does always forgive. In any case, I gained vastly in the power that I wielded. My Churches became rich from the manifold increase in “tithes” (which had then become little more than protection money). I was gaining converts quickly, though many who came to receive their first communion barely knew that they were to eat the wafer.

By the year of our lord fourteen hundred and thirty two, the number of Catholics within Kerch had more than tripled. I then began to run into problems. The pogroms of the gangs became more and more violent. Prior to that year, they had done little more than burning Orthodox Churches, harming livestock, destroying fishing boats, and other petty violences. October of that year saw the first murder. Things were getting out of hand. I had wanted to confess to one of the other prominent Churchmen of the area, confident that, even should I be forced from the clergy, my conversions would continue. Signor Moncerelli convinced me otherwise, and, disgusted as I was, I confessed only to myself, and kept the first secret of my life.

Regardless of my qualms, the conversions went well. Some of those who had been force-converted seemed zealous and willing to aid the process. Though I was internally stained, from the outside I looked unimpeachable. The Signor was using me, this was to be sure. Never could he have gained a powerful and Godly friend such as myself unless he had made one. And he had.

In early fourteen hundred and thirty three, all signs pointed towards success. Not only were conversions now happening rapidly and en masse, but Catholicism approached majority status. Were this not enough, in early February I received a letter from the Doge himself, detailing his happiness in my efforts and his wish for me to perform Mass and to announce to all Genoa my success in converting the heathens and heretics.

I was more than surprised. I could not believe that I was known outside of Kerch. Surely the Doge cared little for these backwater provinces? Signor Moncerelli, however, acted as if he had expected this to happen. Apparently it was a point of some honor to have properly converted a colony such as this, considering how unsuccessful former Doges had been in the same actions.

By later that same month, I was ready for my journey back to Genoa. I was surprised to find that Moncerelli would be joining me, as he had essentially been exiled years ago. He assured me that, with my protection, even the lowliest brigand would have no trouble entering that great city. Hearing this, I was most discouraged. Because I knew, in my heart, that it was he himself who was the lowliest of brigands, and it was with my blessing that he would feed upon the people of my fatherland, Genoa.

The Mass which I had performed was one of the greatest experiences of my life, yet it still leaves a bitter feeling to remember through what means I attained it. To my recollection, it occurred on the sixth of March, though my memory from the time is blurry. All the sumptuous feasts, gala events, speeches, sermons, parties, Princes, they all roll into one overwhelming sensory experience, when any mind tries to grasp them. The town was awash in celebration, and I was at the center of it all. I was invited to dine with nobles of such stature that the common man thought of them as second only to God.

One thing which sticks out in my mind about the whole matter was that, though the invitations invariably were for myself and myself only, Moncerelli always ended up coming along. Similarly, though the questions were directed at myself, he answered, and it seemed to me that the nobles found this reassuring. Perhaps they thought me overawed, but in truth I simply could not comprehend their questioning. It seemed so casual, yet always pregnant with meaning. Luckily, the Signor was an expert at fielding the questions of such kind as them, and I was, perhaps for the first time, glad of his public presence.

The Doge, I might note, seemed less happy with his return. Speaking with a fine and noble lady, of the type who like to jabber on about the lives of others, I found out why. The Signor, while married to a beautiful lady named Anna Ghidieli, had had many affairs, and to tell the truth this was not uncommon among people of his stature. However, one of those with whom he had dallied was none other than the daughter of the Doge. It was this particular adultery which had forced him out of Genoa when the Adornos had come to power. Now, with my protection, he wished to flaunt his freedom of action! The words he had exchanged with the wife of the Doge, easily forgotten, now came to mind:

“Well Signor, I must admit I thought that you and I should never share a city again! To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Dearest Lady, I think it obvious, no? I am here for my patron.”

“And who might that be? All your patrons left upon my arrival.”

“True. But I’m sure they’ve nothing to fear, any longer.”

Good stuff CesareB. Glad you're "guesting" the conversion. Looking forward to the next installment.