• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Using the 1204 Scenario playing as the Latin Empire I consistently have a crash on January 29, 1216. Is there a reason for this I could fix or is it just due to the incomplete nature of the scenario?

Perhaps BOPACK is already in DVIP? Could that be causing the problems?

Great mod as always and thanks for answering my previous questions.

Bopack is included in the addon, but you need to download the Bopack graphics (event images). Do not install the event files, they will conflict. In the DVIP Addon I have modified some Bopack events to make them more compatible with the rest of the mod.

The next release (hopefully before the end of the year, I really have no time) will have everything in one zip file including the Bopack graphics.

Using the 1204 Scenario playing as the Latin Empire I consistently have a crash on January 29, 1216. Is there a reason for this I could fix or is it just due to the incomplete nature of the scenario?

The 1204 scenario is partially broken. It works for me on Windows 7 and probably works on Vista, but it will crash on Windows XP. I hope to correct the errors in it to make it more stable for the next DVIP release.

The 1204 scenario is partially broken. It works for me on Windows 7 and probably works on Vista, but it will crash on Windows XP. I hope to correct the errors in it to make it more stable for the next DVIP release.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

sorry my bad English
You likely have corrected errors with the chancellor of Zaragosa

and

1066:
*) Gave Ramon Berenguer I of Barcelona more claims to territories in southern France (rep. Carcassone)
*) Berenguer Ramon II & Ramon Berenguer II are twins
*) Fixed Rannoux d'Aquitaine (various errors in his character data)
*) (Moved from Addon to main release): Hawiz is Duchess of Brittany, her consort Hoel is Count of Cournouialle and Nantes
*) Revisions to the De Barcelona family tree
*) Removed Alexios Komnenos from rule again, most probably was indeed born in 1056 so not ruler yet. Sorry fans of Alex!

I would like to receive for the my mod last edition versions of files:

1066_scenario.eug
1066_scenario_characters.inc
1066_scenario_countries.inc
1066_scenario_provinces.inc
1066_scenario_relations.inc
1066_scenario_titles.inc

Stat-reductions for children: In the next version of DVIP, would you consider making it so they don't fire for kids with the Prodigy trait? Or at least have Prodigy increase the MTTH.

Being a Prodigy should be something special - in the current version, being a Prodigy just means you get nerfed twice as hard.

my game crashes already at the start.
i have ck 1.05 then i have dv latest patch (2.1 i think) then i installed the DVIP 13/12/2009 and when he is unpacking i already get errors of files missing. then i installed the dvip addon and then only the bopack graphics. some help needed :)

my game crashes already at the start.
i have ck 1.05 then i have dv latest patch (2.1 i think) then i installed the DVIP 13/12/2009 and when he is unpacking i already get errors of files missing. then i installed the dvip addon and then only the bopack graphics. some help needed :)

From your post it is not clear if you also have the expansion Deus Vult. Do you have the expansion ?

Quick Post To Answer Questions on DVIP Stat Reductions (Atleast All Info That I've Found So Far)

Stats In Vanilla & What DVIP Does About The Bug

What stats spawned courtiers start with is hardcoded. I can't change this, nor would I if I could. DVIP does have events that bump down stats of kids if they grow up with more than 8 in two stats, or 10 in any one stat, since Crusader King is balanced with stats being on a scale of 1 = bad, 8 = good, 10 = super -- and with DV it is very rare NOT to end up with 8 8 8 8 or more characters.

The problem with stats in DV is how stats are now earned yearly over time by all kids (xcept the ones existing at scenario start). Children gain 1 or 2 stat points every year from 1 to 14 (? Could also be 12... not sure): at least one in diplomacy, martial, stewardship or intrigue, and possibly a second stat point in the same or another skill.
This means they can (and often do) end up with a score like 10/8/9/8 -- which is superhuman.

Note that this is the BASE stat, traits can raise these even further. E.g. prodigy adds one point to all stats, and the completed education traits can add up to 4 points for the main stat, so a character with a good combination of traits in DV can easily end up with a score of 12 or higher in multiple stats, and I've seen scores of 18 and higher... which are so far out of the range of what the game considers normal that they become meaningless.

Events use stats for various means, often with 5 = normal, 8 = good, and 10 = super. If I were to re-weigh these to Deus Vult, it'd be something like 7 = normal, 10 = good, 12 = super.
That in itself is modifyable, but there are also hardcoded checks for these stats which are based on CK values, not DV. For example the demesne size limit, income, assassination chance etc.. These cannot all be modified.

I still hope that we'll get another Deus Vult (beta) patch which slows the rate of stat gain (for example by making the chance of getting two stat points in a year much smaller, and/or by capping it to the age range 2-12), but since Johan is busy with new Paradox projects this is unlikely.

Hence the stat lowering events: they are the only way to keep the game working at least a bit like it should.
The main problem with them is that they are immersion breaking. I wish I knew a better way to make them fit, but there just isn't anything like a board of education in the middle ages that administers standardized tests. If there was, I'd use something like the following as event title and text:

"Grading on a curve: This child's final grades have been adjusted in order to fit a normal distribution."

;)

That event happens as a way of trying to fix a bug with children's stat balance. The normal range of stat scores is supposed to be from 0-10, with anything above 10 supposed to be indicating especially exceptional talent (like prodigy/genius level).

Unfortunately, with the bug it became real easy for everyone in the game to have scores way over 10, sometimes hitting in the upper 20s. The problem is that when everyone in the game has stat scores this high, the balance of the game gets thrown horribly out of whack. With massive intrigue, you don't need to rely on vassals, with massive stewardship, money never becomes an issue and you can field giant armies, and so on with other problems with the other scores. The event tries to bring the game back into proper balance.

Which DVIP Events Should I Change/Remove if I Really Really Don't Like The Reductions? (Warning: It will undo the bugfix & cause game imbalances)

Events 9530 and up in db\events\DVIP_wiz.txt.
I recommend you leave them enabled, they do serve a purpose... however if you must chear rather than disabling them I suggest you add the following to the trigger:
condition = { type = ai }
That way, it will still fire for the AI but allow you to cheat.

A Reminder That Removing Above Events Is Not Recommended

The next version will be a little less harsh and will solve the biggest issue: the wording.

If you want to get supermen anyway, ruining the entire game, follow the instructions a few posts up. Although if you say you understand the reasoning behind it, you realise you're basically asking to undo a needed fix? It's not as if Wiz wrote his event I based mine on to be an ass, they serve a much needed purpose. Without this workaround you WILL see demesnes of 20 provinces, something CK was never designed for.

Compare the stats of dead characters like Charlemagne or someone like William the Conqueror -- in CK these were extraordinary... in DV without a skill cap (enforced by event since we must) they are actually weak compared to characters born in game.

I wish Johan would release a new beta with a skill cap... I can't make these events fire invisibly.

On Whether Prodigy Should Get This Stat Reduction

Only if the prodigy trait itself is nerfed to not give any bonuses at all.

CK is simply not meant to have every character with superhuman stats!

On Whether Skill Gain Can Be Stopped At Value = X (Instead of Making Reductions Via Events)

Skill gain is not controlled by the event engine, but directly added to the child each year.

I did think of another fix today: I can hit all kids with a -4 in all stats when they either begin or finish education. It loses the fine control I have now, but it will stop the incessant whining.

A Final Explanation On The Importance Of These Reductions (Because They Bugfix & Maintain Game Balance)

20+ is god-like.
15+ is superhuman.
10+ is heroic.

Look up the stats for two of the best commanders in history, Charlemagne and William the Bastard. Willy the Conker rules over England in 1066, Charlemagne can easily be found by starting as Vermandois and going up the family tree.
Wait a generation or three, then compare these two to characters born in-game (not spawned courtiers, just born ones.
Or, alternatively, just use something like DynasticGlory at scenario start, and 80 years later, and compare skill averages.

DV gives a huge boost to stats. Anything over 10 should be extraordinary -- yet in an unmodified DV anything under 15 is rare. Combined with some lucky traits like prodigy and the best educations, you will have some characters with skills close to 30!

This leads to huge demesnes, unfailing diplomacy and intrigue, no chance at all for bad events to fire, breaking the balance that was built up in the events carefully -- it's an absolute game breaker and I really hope that we'll get another beta patch which nerfs the skill increase a bit.

Even if I were to try another fix, adjusting all events to take the higher stats into account, this would make no difference to the boni on intrigue, diplomacy, and demesne size.

The Last Word On The Matter

Read back through the thread, it's been asked and answered several times. Easy to disable them if you don't mind ruining your game.

A Final Note By The Author Of The Post (ie Innocent Beard)

Always, always, SEARCH first. After your search fails, feel free to ask away though. Reason? Alot of questions can get asked multiple times, sometimes only a few posts down from the last time. This leads to good discussions being side-tracked by repetitive answer of same problem.

If you don't know how to search, I believe there is a sticky in EU3 Forum that explains it quite well.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
@ jordarkelf:

I answered a question about DVIP stat-reduction events in another thread. Figured the same information was more applicable here in this thread. May I suggest linking this post to the FAQ in the first post of this thread? This way the constant questions on the same topic can (will?) be avoided.

Either ways,
Enjoy.

Is there any way to use only some of the files in the addon pack? I don't want to use the break_free.txt or the varia.txt, but when I delete them the game spits out an error when loading.

Also, is this compatible with the playable muslims/pagans patch?

Last edited:
Is there any way to use only some of the files in the addon pack? I don't want to use the break_free.txt or the varia.txt, but when I delete them the game spits out an error when loading.

Also, is this compatible with the playable muslims/pagans patch?

Check this thread.
Also, post 12 of the Muslims/Pagans Patch thread has the answer you need. Posts 42-45 may also be worth a read.

Also, I would advise reading the whole thread of the mods you are using, just to get familiar with common issues/common solutions etc.
And feel free to Search the forum for information. Most information is already usually buried somewhere. Info on how to search can be found in the EU3 subforum if I recall correctly.

Enjoy.

One of the most useful files for CK I ever found was a map that showed the base tax values of all provinces. However, DVIP changed the base tax of several provinces and rendered the old map useless.

I created a new base tax map for DVIP, here it is. This is for DVIP+Addon version 13.12.2009.

Last edited:
1204 scenario potential brideviewer crash--can't remember character fix

I remember that this problem was solved. Something about a faulty character record.

Unfortunately, when I got a new computer I had to start from scratch and I can't remember the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

In my current game I noticed that the tooltip for the diplomacy rating seems incomplete. It reads:
"The characters ability to get the most out of peace negotiations, and the ability to keep his vassals loyal, and the ability."
As if the last ability is not shown.

Problem of CK-DV or DVIP?

Last edited:
Just a brief comment about the much-discussed attribute penalties (which I've only briefly read, so don't murder me if an observation along these lines has been voiced before): I think character-wise, they do more good than harm, and have no problem playing characters with quite human stats. Only in the case of prodigies do the events make me feel a bit robbed. The modder is right that superhuman characters often result from NOT having these events, and such characters can make a game a cakewalk.

But when you look at the larger context, you see that the AI leaders just get MASSACRED due to these events. They don't have the diplomacy to keep vassals, they lack good stewardship to get a decent income, they have low intrigue resulting in low demesnes, etc. And when this happens, you get widespread decentralization and fracturing, to the extent that in pretty much every DVIP game I can remember, about 100 years in, there are virtually no intact kingdoms in Europe. In particular, France, Germany, and England seem to always turn into a rainbow of colors (on the political map), and only Poland seems to reliably stay intact--no doubt due to its large starting personal demesne. I at first assumed that this was just how CK in every form worked, but Mappa Regnorum, for example (which doesn't have an attribute-lowering event, and is similar to Vanilla except for mostly map changes) shows much better kingdom stability over time.

So while I too urge a reduction in attribute penalties, I do so for a different reason, and hope that such a change would be tested to see its effect on the realms of the AI, not just the player.