• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Skill gain is not controlled by the event engine, but directly added to the child each year.

I did think of another fix today: I can hit all kids with a -4 in all stats when they either begin or finish education. It loses the fine control I have now, but it will stop the incessant whining.

I, for one, do not mind the current events in-re child stats. :D

20+ is god-like.
15+ is superhuman.
10+ is heroic.

Look up the stats for two of the best commanders in history, Charlemagne and William the Bastard. Willy the Conker rules over England in 1066, Charlemagne can easily be found by starting as Vermandois and going up the family tree.
Wait a generation or three, then compare these two to characters born in-game (not spawned courtiers, just born ones.
Or, alternatively, just use something like DynasticGlory at scenario start, and 80 years later, and compare skill averages.

DV gives a huge boost to stats. Anything over 10 should be extraordinary -- yet in an unmodified DV anything under 15 is rare. Combined with some lucky traits like prodigy and the best educations, you will have some characters with skills close to 30!

This leads to huge demesnes, unfailing diplomacy and intrigue, no chance at all for bad events to fire, breaking the balance that was built up in the events carefully -- it's an absolute game breaker and I really hope that we'll get another beta patch which nerfs the skill increase a bit.

Even if I were to try another fix, adjusting all events to take the higher stats into account, this would make no difference to the boni on intrigue, diplomacy, and demesne size.

Heya! Having some graphic problems. Some of the pictures just are not appearing for events, and the text boxes becomes smushed. Would anyone know why? DVIP worked fine on my laptop, and I did nothing different this time... Thanks for any tips!

Could it be because I have a 23-25 inch monitor? Would there be any settings I need to change?

Also, a general question... To build churches in my lands, do I need a tech and building others the the techs required to build the church? For some reason, I could not build them even with the required tech. Thanks! :)

With DVIP and the addon, here are some possible bugs:

In character_names.csv, there are two "mala" as gender, which should be "male", at 5684 and 5685.

In 1204_scenario_characters.inc, there is "country = " in line 5028. In line 44179 of that file, there is "type - 10" - the minus should be an equals. Same in line 44208, 44234, 44288, 44263.

In 1337_scenario_characters.inc, there is "father = { type = 10 = 20000 }" - an "id" is missing.

If I may ask, how high does U000, U001, etc go?

In character_development_events.txt, line 10486, there is brilliant_tactician, but that doesn't seem to exist - only brilliant_strategist. Same in lines 9629, 9271, 8368, and a few others in the same file. Also there are instances of naive_wirepullen (5567) and naive_wirepulle (4376).

--- Error 1 of 5 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[35]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (3318, 31):
"knowledged_tactitian" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 2 of 5 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[34]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (3183, 31):
--- Error 3 of 5 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[33]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (3048, 31):
--- Error 4 of 5 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[32]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (2915, 31):
--- Error 5 of 5 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[25]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[12]\condition\value] (2461, 31):
"charismatic_negociator" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 1 of 2 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[2]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (267, 31):
--- Error 2 of 2 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\battle_events.txt [character_event[1]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[11]\condition\value] (137, 31):
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Child Count Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\bankruptcy_events.txt [province_event[10]\mean_time_to_happen] (944, 2):
At most 1 instance(s) of a literal "months" entry are allowed, but there are 2 instances.
--- Error 1 of 2 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\courtier_events.txt [character_event[12]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[13]\condition\value] (533, 31):
--- Error 2 of 2 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\courtier_events.txt [character_event[12]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[9]\condition\value] (511, 31):
"valourous" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 1 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [province_event[2]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[15]\condition\value] (1512, 31):
"moderate" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 2 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [province_event[1]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[15]\condition\value] (1322, 31):
"moderate" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 3 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [character_event[19]\trigger\condition[5]\value\value] (2736, 51):
"excommunciated" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 4 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [character_event[18]\trigger\condition[5]\value\value] (2661, 51):
--- Error 5 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [character_event[17]\trigger\condition[5]\value\value] (2607, 51):
--- Error 6 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [character_event[16]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[31]\condition\value] (2312, 31):
"schizophrenia" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 7 of 8 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\law_events.txt [character_event[13]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[31]\condition\value] (1762, 31):
"schizophrenia" is not a valid Trait.
--- Error 8 of 8 ---
Child Count Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\bastard_events.txt [character_event[62]\trigger] (5471, 2):
At most 1 instance(s) of a gender entry are allowed, but there are 2 instances.
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Parse Failure
Path: D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\realm_disruption_events.txt
Error: Token "=" at line 17980, column 35 must be a literal.
--- Error 1 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[69]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (16523, 5):
"Mountains" is not a valid Terrain.
--- Error 2 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[68]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (16192, 5):
--- Error 3 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[67]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (15861, 5):
--- Error 4 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[66]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (15526, 5):
--- Error 5 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[65]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (15202, 5):
--- Error 6 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[64]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (14878, 5):
--- Error 7 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[63]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (14554, 5):
--- Error 8 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[62]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (14230, 5):
--- Error 9 of 9 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\advances_discovery.txt [province_event[61]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[3]\condition\value] (13902, 5):
--- Error 1 of 4 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\DVIP_set_laws.txt [character_event[7]\trigger\condition[6]\value\value] (569, 51):
--- Error 2 of 4 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\DVIP_set_laws.txt [character_event[6]\trigger\condition[7]\value\value] (420, 51):
--- Error 3 of 4 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\DVIP_set_laws.txt [character_event[5]\trigger\condition[6]\value\value] (269, 51):
--- Error 4 of 4 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\db\events\DVIP_set_laws.txt [character_event[4]\trigger\condition[7]\value\value] (120, 51):
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[184]\deathdate\month] (4579, 28):
"febuary" is not a valid Month.
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[248]\deathdate\month] (6206, 28):
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Type Mismatch Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[249]\deathdate\month] (6231, 28):
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Child Count Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[802]] (20184, 1):
At most 1 instance(s) of a literal "father" entry are allowed, but there are 2 instances.
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Child Count Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[1004]] (25228, 1):
At most 1 instance(s) of a literal "dna" entry are allowed, but there are 2 instances.
--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Child Count Error
At D:\Games\Ckdvip\scenarios\1337_scenario_characters.inc [character[1275]] (32071, 1):
At most 1 instance(s) of a literal "birthdate" entry are allowed, but there are 2 instances.

Last edited:
So how does it work? Does the game still let him impregnate both? It doesn't seem to be like Rome, where divorcing someone removes any trace of that person's relationship from the character page (except for children).

Only Sichelgaita can become pregnant, and his ex-wife can even re-marry. The marriage is ended in the scenario.
It's an interface issue: the CK engine is not designed to handle divorce, although it is possible to set this up in the scenario files or savegame.

Only Sichelgaita can become pregnant, and his ex-wife can even re-marry. The marriage is ended in the scenario.
It can handle the permanent kind.

Hopefully one of many features that'll be in CK2.

Permanent kind, as in 'death do us part'? Yeah that works the same way. The marriage gets an end date in the scenario.
It works the other way around too: if a marriage is not ended in the scenario but one of the two spouses is dead, the game will not allow them to remarry until the marriage is marked as ended.

Skill gain is not controlled by the event engine, but directly added to the child each year.

I did think of another fix today: I can hit all kids with a -4 in all stats when they either begin or finish education. It loses the fine control I have now, but it will stop the incessant whining.

Just to add my 2 cents: I'm currently trying out this approach. I have deleted your stat-nerfing events and instead added a flat -3 to all stats to the childhood events where an education is selected.
Why -3? Because it nicely offsets the +3 from prodigy - so prodigal characters stand out because they do not suffer from the debilitation that everyone else is suffering from.

Seems to work rather well for me - the highest stat I've yet seen was a 20. Most characters do not have a single stat above 10, but it's still possible to get advisors with ~15 in their relevant stat once the court has grown.

I was playing as Apulia-->Sicily. In the course of this, I got some Muslim courtiers. For some reason, while they got the same "x or leave" events as Christian ones, they could not leave. The "give me money or I leave" one would just raise their loyalty to 100% and not cause them to leave, the event you introduced "I'm bored. I want to leave" would not cause them to leave, etc. Eventually, an event fired whose "get out of here" option actually caused the courtier to leave, but I don't remember what it was.

Can't easily be fixed. The events force them to go to a neighbouring random court, but for heathens there usually is no neighbouring court that will take them in. I'll see if I can change the events for muslims, jews, and heathens though so that they get forced out even if no valid neighbouring court exists to send them to.

None means they are removed from the game if they have no relatives, or will go to their nearest kin otherwise.
I'm thinking of using any_enemy instead for these courtiers -- a Christian's enemy will likely be a heathen, and there they will be more at home.

With the DVIP addon and the Bopack graphics added as well, there is an UNKNOWN STRING WANTED or something like that when an event triggers causing a character loses fertility. What can I do to remedy this?

This also happens when an event causing skills to go up or down occurs.