• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi there Jard, remember me? I had the Aquitania AAR going awhile back and recently reinstalled everything now that I have a little free time from school.

I wanted to thank you for your dedicated hard work on this project, a sentiment I know that I am not alone in holding.

Playing through a couple test games to get back up to snuff led me to think that many of the BoPack events are unbalanced in terms of their risks and rewards. In simple terms, I think that many of the automatic traits it sets up are weak and I would like to see more of a gradual scale in terms of gold/piety/prestige awards rather than large lump sums. I know that you are a busy man, but could you give me some pointers as to how I might be able to rescript the events (I've never done a bit of fumbling within the txt packages before and I don't want to run the game to unknown string wanted errors or such.)

The reason I'm asking here is based on the thread's popularity and your own expertise in the modding arena. If you want me to start a new post or if you could direct me to a link for basic modding instructions for the latest 1.2b build I would also kindly thank you!

Thank you once again for the austounding level of work you put into this project and know that it has made hundreds of people enjoy the game so much more over the years!

Glad to see you back!

All the BoPack events are in the db\events folder, labelled Bop something. I agree they tend to be overpowered, but in the long run this balances itself -- both boni and penalties are relatively large, so it adds up in the end.

If you want to change the gold values involved, look for gold = scale in the events. Scale = 1 means a yearly income for the realm, so scale = 0.1 means 1/10th a yearly income etc.. In principle halving most of these values (0.1 becomes 0.05) should make them a little less "insane", but this would need to be tested in-game.
I prefer scales over hard values since this is "fair" for both counts and kings, but in some cases it's best to make multiple copies of the same event with fixed values, and restrict them to fire only for the proper tier -- this way a check on income can also be done.

I'm not sure if ambrox is reading the forums much, but the BoPack thread is here: BoPack.
Asides from minor modifications to work with the new cultures and the female inheritance law, I have not modified BoPack (yet).

The Earl of Chester should have his culture changed from Welsh to English, and made friends with Llywelyn in 1204, also Powys should be reduced to county (no Duchy of Powys at this point) in both 1187 and 1204. In 1204 the Lord of Powys should be rivals with King John and Llywelyn.

Last edited:
The Wales mod still needs to be installed separately? I started the Welsh game I mentioned in another thread, have played for 15 years now and realised I actually forgot about the Wales addon. Is it possible to install on top of the current 2.1b + DVIP + addons setup I have now and continue playing (i'd make a new folder to make sure I can go back to the basic Wales ofc)? I assume I would at least have to edit the savegame so that I have the right county tags or something...

Also, it's enough to just unzip all the downloads to the CK folder, right? At some point in the thread I think you mentioned that some event files would need to be renamed?

3rd question: I keep getting loads of "A childs [stat] abilities have decreased slightly/significantly" events, due to having about 15 or so kids in my court. I think i've had it happen 3-4 times each to 2 prodigies, so now their stats are probably lower than a normal childs before the addon. Why does this event keep happening, it's sort of nerfing my most promising future courtiers, and several of my dynasty children too?

P.S. Sorry if this thread is the wrong place to ask these kind of questions.

Q1: DVIP: Wales needs to be installed separately, preferably in a new CKDV install. It will overwrite the map so you can no longer use other scenarios without reinstalling the whole deal.
It has the full DVIP and Addon included.

Q2: You no longer need to rename any event file(s).

Q3: These events are to balance the stats in Deus Vult. Without them, children's stats are so high that it breaks the core gameplay and just about every event that depends on stat checks. It is still possible to get kids with high stats, especially thanks to traits like prodigy, but unlike vanilla DV the mean will be around 7, not 10 for any stat.

Thanks for the swift reply. I deleted the original post (that you quoted) from the download thread, sorry about that.

I've played until 1086 with Glamorgan for my AAR, and would like to convert to using Wales now. However, I think this would be pretty tricky: I've conquered Gwent and Powys, vassalised Dyfed and become Duke of Deheubarth. Therefore I decided to settle on trying to switch over to Wales from my 1072, which is the point i'm updated to in my AAR. There i've only conquered Gwent, so as far as i've got it figured out, i'd just need to add the new counties' (and their rulers') data to the save file, and the Count of Gwent to my titles, right?

Hey Jordarkelf, I have a question that has been bothering me for quite some time. Just installed your newest update to the IP, and noticed that the Emir of Mallorca and his vassals are all tagged as Serbian in culture, but obviously with Moslem names. As the game progresses they obviously reproduce Serbian Moslem Children smack dab in the middle of Spain. My question is, are they supposed to be Serbian or something else...

Cheers,
~Hawk

They're supposed to be saqalibah -- former slaves who converted to islam, and managed to get control of the taifa. They were from "north of Byzantium", i.e. the Montenegran or Dalmatian coast. Most likely not Italians or Greeks though. So I tagged them as Serbian, but Croat could also have been a possibility.

---

@Snaake: you need to change the owner and controller of the provinces to your character and country in the savegame.

---

@All: I've added a FAQ to the first post. Hopefull this'll help some :)

What scenario files do I need to look up stuff from and move them to the save file?

provinces.inc for the province info... oh, and db/provinces.csv, also titles.inc and countries.inc I presume? What about any other /db/files, it seems at least terrain.csv would be needed.

When I loaded up a pre-Wales install save, the new provinces can be clicked on, but the UI screen to the left is grey, nobody owns the provinces, and all the shields are still in the old spots so quite off for the new map. So in addition to making sure everyone owns the right stuff, I need to fill in the map properly. Oh yea, what tags are used for the new Duchies of Powys and Morgannwg?

Last edited:
Titles.inc for the owners of individual provinces, which for the new Welsh provinces is C954-C958.
Countries.inc for the countries.

Titles (owned provs) in 1066:
C018: independent (also needs new entry in countries.inc)
C954: GWYN (add as controlled by in countries.inc as well)
C955: DEHE (Capital needs to be changed to this in countries.inc)
C956: DEHE (add as controlled by in countries.inc as well)
C957: independent (also needs new entry in countries.inc)
C958: independent (also needs new entry in countries.inc)

Refer to characters.inc for the added / changed characters, specifically for owners of the new countries 18, 957, 958.

I seem to have gotten the '72 save into working shape, except Dyfedd is part of Deheubarth's demesne. Probably missed some spot, gonna check it. I got 4 database mismatch errors when loading, if these persist once i've gotten Dyfedd fixed (at 1066, it's a vassal of Deheubarth)

One thing i've noticed though, is that most of the shields are in somewhat weird spots: Dyfedd is right at it's eastern border, and the duchy shields of Gwynedd and Deheubarth overlap, for example. This is the case in 1066 too.

Yea, still getting the 4 database mismatch errors, how serious is it, and can I expect them to maybe disappear once some of the characters I just copy-pasted from 1066 to 1072 die or something? Or what else could be causing them?

Noticed that Perfeddwlad is part of Gwynedds demesne (like in the non-modded wales, since there's no Ynys Mon in that) instead of a vassal as in 1066 but I don't think i'll go about editing that anymore.

You always think you've thought of everything...

"The "Vassals" section of the character sheet is blank, whether I select my king, another king or a duke. But they're still my color and if I click on the duke's picture, hi character sheet shows me as his liege."

It's only happening in the 1187 and 1204 scenarios, 1066 and 1337 are fine. I have DV 2.1b, DVIP and the Addon.

Todo (for me):
Counts of Barcelona & Urgell family tree revisions
Code:
Sunifred de Barcelona
	|
Guifré el Pelós	878-897
	|xGuinedilda										
	|---------------------------------------|----------------|
Guifré II Borrell I 897-911			Sunyer I 911-947	Sunifred II (Urgell) 870-948
															 |xAdelaide
											|----------------|
										Borrell II 947-992	Miro 947-966	
											|xLedgarda de Toulouse
											|-------------------|
									Ramon Borrell	988-1018	Ermengol el de Córdoba 947-1010 (de Barcelona-Urgell)
										|xErmesinde	de Carcassonne	|xTetberga de Rousillon
	|------------------------------------							|
Berenguer Ramon el Corbat 1018-1035								Ermengol II el Peregrí 1010-1038
	|x-------------------------------------x
	|x Sancha Sánchez (de Castille)		   xGuisla de Lluca			|xConstança Velasquita de Besalu						   					|
	|----------------------------------|		|					|
Ramon Berenguer el Vell* 1035-1076	Sancho	  (below)			Ermengol III el de Barbastro 1032-1066
	|xAlmodis de La Marche											|xAdelaide (de Besalu?)
	|--------------------------------------|						|
Ramon Berenguer II el Cap d'Estopes		Berengeur Ramon II		Ermengol IV el de Gerb 1056-1092
	|
Ramon Berenguer III

Ramon Berenguer el Vell
	|xIsabel de Narbonne/de Béziers
|-------------------------|-----------------|
Berenguer (died young)	Arnau (d. young)	Pere Ramon (murdered Almodis 1071)

Berenguer Ramon I
					|xGuisla de LLuca
					|------------|------------|
Ermengol III x Clemencia		Guillem		"Sibille" x Henri de Bourgogne (1035-1071)
	|
	|---------------|----------|----------|
Ermengol IV		Berenguer	Guillem		Ramon

----

todo check

Last edited:
errg! For some reason, the 1204 scenario is fixated with naming the first born son for Llywelyn as 'Edwyn', and his first born daughter as 'Ffraid'. Why would the computer, no matter how many restarts, be fixated on those two names? lol. Why not Dafydd and Elen as names? If the computer has to be fixated on any names at all.

I'm thinking on asking for those names to be removed.

Is the computer programmed somehow to count down a certin number of names for selecting them?

Is the computer programmed somehow to count down a certin number of names for selecting them?

Name selection is somehow fixed (the last few --purpose unknown-- numbers in the DNA string in a savegame seem to affect it). Adding even a single space to the characters.inc file for a scenario will change this in unknown ways...

The intent is obviously to have certain names prevail in a family, unfortunately we don't know how it works exactly though. So editing the file for it is nearly impossible to do.