• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Joe Public said:
2) The obviously anachronistic "Cool!" and "Supercool!" should be changed to "Excellent" and "Most excellent!" in deus_vult.csv. Excellent is also anachronistic, but less blatantly so.

"Hazzah!"
"Amen!"
"Hallaujah!"
"Benedicite!"
"Lauda esse!"

or

"That calls for a Storng Beer and Buxom Wench!"

Veldmaarschalk said:
EDIT
I think that in 1066 Havoise Roazhon should be the duchess of Brittany, since she was the sister (and heiress) of the former duke Conan. Hoel de Kernow was just duke because he had married her

http://genealogy.euweb.cz/bretagne/bretagne3.html#C2

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/BRITTANY.htm#HoelVCornouailledied1084B

You are correct. The Roazhon dynasty was the hereditary ducal family at the time. The same allowance we give to the Jerusalem inheritance should be followed here. Wikipedia is silent on the issue, and I have not updated Wikipedia because I have not been able to find English language source on the Havoise yet.

Havoise should be made duchess, and her middle name should be Roazhon, and she should then be tagged with the Kernow dynasty to assure a smooth transition.

Incidentilly, Havoise is not the Breton rendering of the name. I do not know how it would be rendered however.

Also: for some reason Brittany has been pledging to England alot in recent games. This seems very odd.

EDIT: FOUND IT!

Havoise should be rendered as Hawiz in Breton! WOOT!

Also, finely I have the correct Breton varient of French Eudos: Eozen! There are alot of Eozens/Eudos at the 1066 start!

Hawiz and Eozen should be added to the Breton naming list!

EDIT II: After reading more deeply into Veld's sources I found evidence that Hawiz was hereditary Duchess of Brittany at the time, with Hoel ruling by right of his wife.

Duchess Hawiz died in 1072, and her son Alan (b. c. 1066) did not rule as Duke until 1084 when he was 18. This means that Duke Hoel Kerne ruled as regent and duke-consort during Alan's minority.

EDIT III: Can anyone check their IP game to see if Brittany is available as a choice at the start of a scenario? So far, it seems that Brittany is not an available choice to choose at the start of a game.

Last edited:
Joe Public said:
1) Changes to some of the terminology in extra_text.csv: "Heathen" should be changed to "infidel," as Heathen was used to refer only to pagans, but infidel could apply to anyone who did not believe in the divinity of Jesus.

i.e. "EVT_1500_NAME;Jerusalem suffers under the heathen yoke!" should read "Jerusalem suffers under the Saracen yoke!" or "Jerusalem suffers under the infidel yoke!"

I can't vouch for the middle ages (it'd be demotic Latin anyway, right? where it wasn't Old English or French...) but at least by the KJV, you have it backwards. Heathen (yokel) was any nonbeliever, infidel (unfaithful) refered to apostates and heretics - as Mohemetans were taken to be. They're both apropos.

That doesn't mean that infidel isn't a better choice for the event, though (infidel is the one used much more commonly to refer to Muslims, who after all were hardly bumpkins during the period,) unless the Cumans are in control of Jerusalem.

2) The obviously anachronistic "Cool!" and "Supercool!" should be changed to "Excellent" and "Most excellent!" in deus_vult.csv. Excellent is also anachronistic, but less blatantly so.

I have no problem whatever with anachronisms - we aren't actually mediaeval peasantry ourselves; they should be appropriate and if we can think of improvements, we shouldn't be afraid to offer them up.

"Hazzah!"
"Amen!"
"Hallaujah!"
"Benedicite!"
"Lauda esse!"​

Amen should be used for concurring responses (or no "!") and Hallalujah is excessive, but the rest of these are better than excellent, which is pretty bland. Almost makes you want to do an openly religious mod, with things like "Praise God!" "In nomine patri et filii," and "Such are the wages of sin."

You forgot "Gaudete!" and it should be huzzah, though.

3) Bishopric of Mainz should be turned into an Archbishopric to reflect its importance. The Archbishop of Mainz was the Primas Germaniae, the substitute of the Pope north of the Alps, and one of the seven electors of the Holy Roman Emperor, and so his status should be raised accordingly.

Spot on

4) Moneylenders and more Jewish courtiers should be added in Cordoba, Savilla, Toledo, Granada and Malaga to represent the substantial Jewish population of Moorish spain. I don't like using moneylenders to represent Jewish minorities, but in the absence of a proper system it's a work-around. The moneylender is presumably Jewish as Christians and Muslims cannot enter the profession and it was one of the few professions open to Jews. I'm coding some reconquista events based on Solmyr's Jewish events, and this way when the Catholics reconquer southern Iberia, the events will fire.

It's a real annoyance that Jewish courtiers can't spawn, but if you would like to code (or even just list) some appropriate Jewish courtiers for the period (iirc a pretty bitchin' Jewish general had just died in 1066, but his son was still around & Moses Maimonides's family could show.)

Llywelyn said:
I can't vouch for the middle ages (it'd be demotic Latin anyway, right? where it wasn't Old English or French...) but at least by the KJV, you have it backwards. Heathen (yokel) was any nonbeliever, infidel (unfaithful) refered to apostates and heretics - as Mohemetans were taken to be. They're both apropos.

It looks like you're dead on - I got it completely the wrong way round. Not only is Heathen appropriate in terms of its meaning, it's actually the older of the two terms. Infidel apparently is totally incorrect because it wasn't used until after the time period of Crusader Kings. The earlier latin Infidelis only referred to an unfaithful person, and did not have religious connotations.

I think Muslims were referred to as "Saracens" or "Mohammedans" during the time period.

Anyway - I originally raised it because I thought the two terms weren't interchangeable, but it looks like they basically are - so I guess my vote is to leave things as they are.

Llywelyn said:
Amen should be used for concurring responses (or no "!") and Hallalujah is excessive, but the rest of these are better than excellent, which is pretty bland.

My vote's for "Benedicite" instead of "Cool" and "Huzzah!" instead of "Supercool". Deus Vult has more typos and goofy words in it than vanilla CK, so I'll have a look through to see if I can find anything else which could be replaced.

Llywelyn said:
It's a real annoyance that Jewish courtiers can't spawn, but if you would like to code (or even just list) some appropriate Jewish courtiers for the period (iirc a pretty bitchin' Jewish general had just died in 1066, but his son was still around & Moses Maimonides's family could show.)

Will do. Muslim Spain had many examples of Jewish courtiers. There was a big massacre of Jews in Grenada in 1066, for example, allegedly in protest at a powerful Jewish vizier.

Last edited:
Drachenfire said:
EDIT III: Can anyone check their IP game to see if Brittany is available as a choice at the start of a scenario? So far, it seems that Brittany is not an available choice to choose at the start of a game.

Have checked under the L, of Lower Brittany :)

Code:
BRIT;Lower Brittany;@;@;@;@;;;;;;X

Veldmaarschalk said:
Have checked under the L, of Lower Brittany :)

Code:
BRIT;Lower Brittany;@;@;@;@;;;;;;X

/doh! lol. Shouldve known that!

Anywhos, I updated English wikipedia with info on Conan II, his sister Hawise, and fleshed out more fully Hoel of Cornwall. Yet to do: Alan III and his grandson Alan IV.

Some corrections that need to be fixed: Hawise was born c 1037, and her brother Conan II born c 1033. It is mixed up in the game. Also, there is a son Alan tagged to Conan II, but I have not uncovered any son by him. I think this is a duplicate for Hawise's son Alan IV.

Okay - I've done some research into Jewish Sephardi courtiers in Muslim Spain. I'm going to code some characters (and edit the existing characters) but I want to put up some of my research for people to have a look and maybe offer some ideas.

Apparently - Muslim leaders took Jewish courtiers so often that there's a fair amount of books devoted to the subject. An interesting article on the Sephardi Jewish courtier class is here .

Okay, first: The two most famous Jewish courtiers in Spain in 1066 are already included in DV:IP. Joseph HaNagid (or Joseph Ibn Nagdela) and his dead father, Samuel HaNagid. Here's some information . And here's some more .

Second: Abu al-Fadl ibn Hasdai, a vizier in Zaragoza. Most of my information on him comes from a German wikipedia entry on him (although his existence and position are confirmed in a lot of sources, including first source above). He was described as an excellent philosopher. Later in life, he converted to Islam and married his liege's daughter - so perhaps a "skeptical" trait would make sense.

Third: Isaac ibn Abalia (an astronomer and influential courtier) and Joseph ibn Migas (a diplomat) - to Mohammed al-Mu'tamid in Sevilla.

Fourth: Also to Mohammed al-Mu'tamid in Sevilla, Abraham ibn Muhajir, another influential courtier.

I'll find some proper sources, and hopefully some character descriptions, for the Sevilla courtiers. Jewish courtiers could become pretty powerful. Samuel HaNagrid was described as the King of Grenada in all but name. I'll see if I can code something interesting.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe Public said:
Second: Abu al-Fadl ibn Hasdai, a vizier in Zaragoza. Most of my information on him comes from a German wikipedia entry on him (although his existence and position are confirmed in a lot of sources, including first source above). He was described as an excellent philosopher. Later in life, he converted to Islam and married his liege's daughter - so perhaps a "skeptical" trait would make sense.
Scepital, Schollarly Theologian

Anyway...we really need female Jewish courtiers... The game seems to think all Jewish boys and men are extremely Orthodox Jews...

Okay, I've edited Joseph and his dead father, Samuel.

Samuel first:

character = {
id = { type = 10 id = 3220 }
name = "Samuel"
gender = male
dynasty = { type = 12 id =101606 }
country = GRAN
relgion = jewish
culture = muslim
birthdate = { year = 993 month = january day = 1 }
deathdate = { year = 1055 month = january day = 1 }
dna = "04563543563654"
attributes = {
martial = 7
diplomacy = 7
intrigue = 8
stewardship = 10
health = 7
fertility = 8
}
traits = {
fortune_builder = yes
merciful = yes
mastermind_theologian = yes
modest = yes
grey_eminence = yes
}
}

Changed his birthdate to 993. Improved his stewardship score, as he was basically running Grenada. He was a remarkable man - virtual King of Grenada for thirty years, so his stats should reflect that.

He's been given mastermind theologian because he's called one of the master grammarians and poets of Muslim Spain. He's also given modest, as he's referred to as such (at least, by Jewish sources).

Finally, Samuel's been given "merciful" based on a story about him being insulted by a Muslim shopkeeper in front of the Emir. The Emir ordered Samuel to have the Muslim shopkeeper's tongue torn out, but instead Samuel forgave the man. When the Emir came upon the shopkeeper again, he was surprised to see him still with his tongue, singing Samuel's praise. Samuel told the Emir he had torn out the man's hateful tongue and replaced it with a kind one.

Next, his son - Joseph. Joseph is supposed to be killed and his body crucified on December 30, 1066, but I can't think of a way to model that in the game. Perhaps making him incredibly disloyal? Or making him rivals with the Emir?

character = {
id = { type = 10 id = 3221 }
name = "Joseph"
gender = male
dynasty = { type = 12 id =101606 }
father = { type = 10 id = 3220 }
country = GRAN
religion = jewish
culture = muslim
birthdate = { year = 1025 month = january day = 1 }
deathdate = { year = 1066 month = december day = 30 }
dna = "14523513263651"
attributes = {
martial = 5
diplomacy = 4
intrigue = 8
stewardship = 10
health = 7
fertility = 8
}
traits = {
proud = yes
merciful = yes
proven_accountant = yes
sceptical = yes
flamboyant_schemer = yes
}
}

Gave him similar stats to his dad, but not such good traits. He's described as being gifted in running a country, like his dad, but also suffering from pride. Muslim sources portray him as a flamboyant schemer, and Jewish sources portray him as objecting to a massacre of Arabs being arranged by his Berber masters (hence merciful), and also as being sceptical of both his religion and of Islam.

Joseph's had the trait "tough soldier" removed and his martial score lowered. He was taken to a battlefield by his father as a boy and later wrote a poem about how the experience had made him homesick. His diplomacy score is also low, to reflect his pride and the lower opinion people had of him.

I'll see if I can find any female Jewish courtiers. Is there a limit to the amount of new characters which can be added to the game?

Also - how is the DV:IP project being organised? Are people assigned regions to improve? I might focus on Spain, for example - but is anyone else working on Spain? And is it mainly tidying up the starting characters, or are events being added as well?

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input!

Joe -- there is no real project... it began mostly as a port of the old Crusader Kings Improvement Packs to Deus Vult, and since the first release I've been slowly adding to it thanks to contributors like aylo1, Drachenfire, Rogan, and others in this thread.

If you want to take on Spain -- I'd be glad to get suggestions from someone with knowledge of the area :)

The intended scope of the DVIP is sort of the following:
-Historic characters at scenario start
-Historic realms and provinces at scenario start
-Edit or add events to allow cultures to change more-or-less historically (melting pots)
-Fix remaining Deus Vult bugs where possible (events, database files, CoAs)

Please post any changes or suggestions in this thread, so I can keep track of everything and put it in the next version (currently existing on my main computer's harddisk). I don't have set rules for myself as to when a new version is released -- mostly I just wait until there have been about as many changes as before, then "freeze" the working version and playtest it a bit. If it works out well I zip it up and release it. You can check the link in my signature for a sort of indicator as to where the next version stands now.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
Thanks for all the input!

Joe -- there is no real project... it began mostly as a port of the old Crusader Kings Improvement Packs to Deus Vult, and since the first release I've been slowly adding to it thanks to contributors like aylo1, Drachenfire, Rogan, and others in this thread.

Do you want to formalise it a bit? Like they've done with the VIP or the big EU2 project? I'd be willing to put the time in, mostly because if I research stuff for D:VIP, it's an excuse to read more about countries I don't know about.

jordarkelf said:
If you want to take on Spain -- I'd be glad to get suggestions from someone with knowledge of the area :)

I picked Spain because it's far western Europe, and a good starting point. And because I know nothing about it. After D:VIP, maybe I'll be a Spanish expert. :D Maybe we could each pick a country/kingdom/region and work on it - sort of to divide the workload. Focusing on the 1066 start date, we could slowly work around the map that way. If someone (and I guess I'd sort of volunteer for this, with help from more experienced modders) were to update the Encyclopedia CK with better modding guides, then it would make the project more accessible to people and we could recruit more help.

jordarkelf said:
The intended scope of the DVIP is sort of the following:
-Historic characters at scenario start
-Historic realms and provinces at scenario start
-Edit or add events to allow cultures to change more-or-less historically (melting pots)
-Fix remaining Deus Vult bugs where possible (events, database files, CoAs)

Could we formally merge D:VIP with "More Kingdoms", the DV pledging fix and BOPACK and SMACK, and make adding more events a goal of the project as well? I actually don't like the "legendary" events from BOPACK and SMACK (like the Robin Hood, grail quest events, dragon slaying, etc), so I'd vote to remove those events and focus on strictly historical-themed events.

So much work has gone into various mods for CK, it would be good to formally put together something like the communities have for EU2, Vicky and HOI2.

Would there be support for this?

Joe

Do you want to formalise it a bit? Like they've done with the VIP or the big EU2 project?
Crusader Kings is still my favourite Paradox game. I was very happy with the
'unofficial beta 1.06' or 'Crusader Kings Improvement Packs' that Byakhiam compiled, and after my initial enthousiasm with Deus Vult I really missed the improvement pack changes that were not included in it. The first DVIP release (retroactively numbered DVIP2 since it was little more than the IP2 applied to DV) was a relatively quick project that required little work, and up to and including DVIP3 I was just gathering existing mods and changes and combining them in a Deus Vult version.

But since DVIP4 I am actively gathering suggestions from others and combining them with my own changes. It is still 'my own pet project' though: I haven't taken up all suggestions, and don't discuss everything I change beforehand. Not to dismiss the work of others (without which the DVIP would be much poorer), but I still consider it to be a one man mod.
Making it a formal project would mean giving up control of it, something I am not (yet) happy with. Even if I were to be the mod team leader, I would have to seek consensus for any changes, so it would no longer by my mod, but rather one I just work on. I also hate deadlines.

I doubt I would be able to continue work that way. I don't 'play well with others'. :/

I can promise that I will honestly consider any changes and additions, and that if I decide to quit the DVIP, I will hand on the reigns to whoever wants to pick them up. I 'inherited' the project from Byakhiam after all (in that I took his work and built on it), so the least I can do is allow someone else to do the same.

Could we formally merge D:VIP with "More Kingdoms", the DV pledging fix and BOPACK and SMACK, and make adding more events a goal of the project as well?
My personal install *is* a merge between DVIP/More Kingdoms/Bopack-DV -- since I am doing them all. It would be a lot easier (for me at least) if I made them all one mod ^.^
Basically I work on updates for More Kingdoms, and then convert the scenario files back to DVIP each time.

The pledging fix -- I've considered adding it, but it is more a band-aid patch to a problem than an actual fix. Past versions caused problems I never considered (such as the multiple rivals -- nonstop assassinations) so I am happy not to have included it at first.
The other bugfixes I've done are in the DVIP, mostly because they are relatively simple event fixes that are unlikely to conflict with other mods.

Adding events is something I hesitate to do as it would limit compatibility with other mods, and events can have far-reaching results. If you look at the DVIP the only included events are bugfixes, and the melting pots which I included because I feel they serve an important historic function. Without the iberian one for example, there is no chance that Andalusia will ever move away from berber except one or two provinces.

As for Bopack-DV -- it's hard to say exactly, but I guess I'm at about 30% of a release. I am going over all existing events in the mod, and writing new ones.
I am trying as much as possible to remove the references to specific tags or dates, using the new DV tools. But it is a long time from release or even playtesting.

One thing I could do is split up the DVIP even further, and make new events an optional addon (like the More Kingdoms mod is now). But I think it's better to just release some individual events, and allow users to pick and choose.

*blink*

All this time I thought IP was to be added to another CK release! lol. I hadn't known that it was a personal mode! Ah well. At least the Welsh dynasties are largely corrected, lol.

Clearly Joe Public and others have a great deal to offer, even if not in larger modding team. One of the reasons I like IP is because of all the contrabutions by others. I think the research that has gone into it makes it a far more thorough scenario. Those that have localized interest can certinly research and advocate for its inclusion here. By and large Jordarkelf has added everyones suggestions and he has done an excellent job with his 'inheritance'!

Though I am still annoyed that the Welsh patronomics were ignored yet the Scandanavian patronomics remain :confused:

CK is dynamic and truely a great game. It's out-of-the box thinking following a dynasty rather then a nation-state is unique in the gaming world. Many do not understand this ground-breaking concept, and I think it suffers from certin drawbacks that alienate a larger player base (lack of female succession, lack of an ability to play as other religons without significant moding, for example). For these reasons its appeal is unnecessarily limited, and there for we have failed to attract the moders that the other games have, and in the numbers these other games enjoy.

I for one welcome Joe Public and other's contrabutions. These contrabutions make this game worth playing.

Mergers

As for the merger of Kingdoms with IP. Will this return us to the debate of Aquitània, Brittany, and Lothoringia? The reason I play Kingdoms more then any other is the plausability of these realms among others.

Lastly, in terms of moding event scripts, might I inqure if we can include certin culture specific events? I have tried to look over the moding of events but it seems very hard. I wish to include some events for a few cultures based off of local laws and customs.

Last edited:
Drachenfire said:
Though I am still annoyed that the Welsh patronomics were ignored yet the Scandanavian patronomics remain :confused:
I think the thing to do is gently point out that even though individual Welshies were in fact called by their father's name, in series or with epithets as needed, that didn't mean that clans didn't recognize themselves by a particularly famous predecessor.

Personally, I'm more for using the genitive suffixes like Cuneddwg instead of ap Cunedda to represent that; but I understand your point that it gives a more Welsh feel to your courtiers to see the aps (*coevenifitwasmapatthetimeugh*) and that it's the best thing we've got til dynamic patronymics get implimented.

Joe Public said:
Could we formally merge D:VIP with "More Kingdoms", the DV pledging fix and BOPACK and SMACK, and make adding more events a goal of the project as well?

Would there be support for this?

Not here. In fact, please, for the love of God, don't do this.

I love the work in this mod. I even like most of the BOPACK stuff (although I could see other players being annoyed by the capital cultural conversion event and the fantasy events, eg.)

I very much don't want to see such Carolignian abominations as Lotharingia showing up in my game, however, and an independent Toulouse or Aquitaine is easily available by not making those duchies an aspect of France.

Having to retrofit these anachronistic or fantasy kingdoms just to have a vastly improved setup & character list is a pain that's totally unnecessary. Leave them separate.

EDIT: Further, I prefer editing my save games to your hotfix. Further, hopefully the next patch will address that issue on its own, and then your hotfix would be needless or damaging.

Drachenfire: Welsh patrynomics will be added back in the next update -- mostly :)
I've reconsidered them, while it's true they will not exist beyond the starting generation that's no real reason not to include them. I have been adding nicknames for characters when I encountered them, and these won't survive the first gen either.

The exact status of the IP is pretty much the following: a mod based on the earlier IPs, which was a compilation mod by a moderator and what we thought at the time would eventually be 1.06. CK 1.06 never came, and DV 2.0 included only some of the stuff from the IP.
I would love to see the DVIP as the base for Deus Vult 2.1 (or 2.2 or whatever), but the mod has absolutely no official status.

It would not be nearly as complete without all the suggestions by others. If I hadn't gotten the excellent feedback and suggestions, this mod would likely never have made it past its first or second version!

Mergers -- you hit the nail on the head. Look back in the thread for the debate on Brittany... it is unlikely we can find consensus there, and the same would happen for Aquitania, Lotharingia, and other plausible kingdoms.

As for events -- culture/law events sound like they can improve the historical setup, so could fit well within the scope of what I see for the DVIP. Got any specific examples?

Llywelyn said:
Not here. In fact, please, for the love of God, don't do this.
No need to worry. I know that there I am unlikely to find others to agree with me, and since it is fairly trivial to keep it separate, I will not quickly merge it with the DVIP. As I mentioned before I build the DVIP around it, and it takes little more than a simple tag replace run to create the two different versions (DVIP / DVIP+More Kingdoms).

Further, I prefer editing my save games to your hotfix. Further, hopefully the next patch will address that issue on its own, and then your hotfix would be needless or damaging.
+1! I don't like having to use the event myself -- it is a tightrope walk between being too lax (vassal spam) and too restrictive (independence spam). With a little luck the next Deus Vult patch (which I expect to be in march or april) will finally fix the relations boost, making it completely unnecessary.

I'm planning some research on Russian principalities, especially non-Rurikovich personalities that were around in 1066. Character-wise (and dynasty-wise, except for generic ones), 1066 start is currently quite poor. Would you be interested in implementing my future findings (so that I don't go into trouble of creating a standalone mod)?

Absolutely. The more detail the better -- I vastly prefer historical courtiers over random generic ones. Western Europe and Iberia are now pretty well represented I think, as is Byzantium, but Russia could definitely benefit from some work.