• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rogan: Good point on the university, and the southern Portuguese provinces. I'll see about fixing them. The "university of al-Karaouine" is named after the Tunisian Karaouine, but was indeed founded in Morocco.

Aylo1: thanks for the updates. Will go in.

@Aylo1: Fredesende can not possibly be a daughter of Richard I Duke of Normandy -- he would have been dead 7 years before she was born. Her sister likewise is 20 years younger than Richard's oldest attested child.
I think this is false geneology which was invented to elevate the De Hauteville's rather modest origins.

---
I am making Normany Norman again, by the way. I don't like how this culture is not represented at all at a province level in the game, and in reality the Normans had been there since ~800 -- 200 years is long enough for their culture to settle there.
Apulia will not be turned Norman, it was a recent conquest.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
I am making Normany Norman again,

I was about to say ;)

I picked up CK again and decided to start with the beta patch plus all your recently improvements.

BTW is there any order I need to install it in?

Also, what about just changing Dutch to plain old Flemish.

Which leads me to the second topic of the Franks. It looks like the Franks got replaced with French so could Franks be reserved for the Holy Land settler cultures?

Frankish - French is a simple rename. Unfortunately I've now used all culture tags except the templar ones (which are special), norse (which is bugged), and none (also bugged), so there isn't really a free one for the spawned Crusader Kingdoms. You can decide what culture they have by modifying country.csv though -- if you make TEMP latin, the Templar Knights will pop up with Occitan culture. Likewise if you make JERU norman, it will be a Norman state. This only applies if it is spawned by event -- if it founded the normal way, or rebels away (province only) it will use in-game rules to decide culture.

Dutch to Flemish doesn't make sense to me -- Holland and Gelre were not Flemish. Dutch culture is an antachronism in CK (they were Germans), but it serves the purpose of uniting the two parts of the Netherlands: Flanders is in the French area, and the rest is in the HRE ("Germany").
Veldmaarschalk has a good mod with a modified cultural setup: he uses Flemish for Flanders, Frisian for the wider Friesland area, and German for the other Dutch.

As for install order -- first CK, then DV, then the beta, then any mods. I would recommend installing the DVIP after the beta and before any other mods since I directly modify (and wholesale replace) DV files, so any mods should optimally be applied to the DVIP.

Each time I think it's "complete" I find more things to fix...

-----
WIP changelog for DVIP 8 update:

Database:
Minor further country.csv revisions to avoid colour clashes
Province Chaldea (704) moved into Armenia region, was in a region of its own
NAFR freed up again, MKHW is a kingdom tag already!
Added db\eu2_country.csv for use with the built-in converter
Added the "of Prussia" and "von Preussen" dynasties to Prussia, since most Prussian provinces only had one dynasty defined
Lettigallish culture is now called Latgalian
Ösel is now part of the creatable duchy of Estonia

Events:
Iberian melting pots now are more limited, so Portugal won't turn Catalan by event any more.
German melting pot now only fires for intended area (Baltic coast), no longer for just any Eastern European province.
Added Norman mercenaries for Byzantium and other Orthodox nations.
Sceptical characters will no longer get the knight order events

1066:
Fes and surrounding provinces have received some more tech because of the university, Kairwan's area weakened some more
Alp Arslan and Michael Doukas are now rivals
Saxony now ruled by Ordulf Billung, not his son Magnus. Magnus only came to power in 1071. Ordulf has gotten illness so he will usually die within a few years.
Mosul is rebellious (would repeatedly war with Seljuks from 1070 to 1085)
Alp Arslan has his muslim first name Muhammad
Malik Shah of Seljuks now has his real first name Jalal
Nizam Al-Mulk now has hist first names Abu Ali
Malik Shah and Nizam are now rivals (Malik would murder Nizam shortly after succeeding Alp Arslan)
Marriage of Yusuf al-Mu'tamin al-Muqtadi and Kera al-Amiri now has proper start date
Revised Iberian setup as proposed by Rogan de Auria:
-Garcia of Galicia is now a martial cleric (educated by a priest)
-Henri de Bourgogne and Alfonso of Leon are friends; Henri's son is in Alfonso's court as a fosterling (would later inherit Portugal as dowry for marrying Alfonso's illegitimate daughter)
-Alfonso of Leon has gotten a stat boost in intrigue
-Duchy of Porto title is now held by Galicia, Portugal is now a series of counties. Nuno Mendes (former D. of Porto) is now rebellious with a claim on Bragança
-Sisnando de Coimbra is now Sisnando Davides
Removed double marriage of Cynfyn of Powys and Angharad Dinefwr
Archbishop Bogumil of Poland has his last name Jankowskie
Gave a number of male lastnameless characters a generic dynasty name
Tatikios the Byzantine general is now an arab, with a "dynasty" name of Tatikid
Revised Baltan setup proposed by Herr Doctor implemented: pagan tribes, cultures, incomes revised
A number of historic courtiers added to Iberia
Transduero region (Castelo Branco, Salamanca, Valladolid) starts out struggling and looted. Was historically unoccupied at the time.
Valladolid is a vassal of Léon, held by Pedro Ansúrez (a few years early)

1187:
Khwarizm is using the MKHW tag again (at kingdom level)
Killed Empress Maud
Cuenca (Santiago) and Calatrava are knight orders

1337:
Cuenca (Santiago), Calatrava, Alcantara are knight orders
Emirate of Almeria is Emirate of Granada again
Livonian Order is now a duchy-level vassal of Teutonic Order, with a few vassals of its own

Last edited:
The technologies change around the university in Fes was to 'light'.
In vanilla you can see that around every university in 1066 the 'thought' branch goes as follows;
-University province lvl 5
-neighbor provinces lvl 4
-2 provinces away lvl 3
-3 provinces away lvl 2
-4 provinces away lvl 1
The 'school' branch works a bit lighter but similar.

I'm sure that techs are existing in 'kairouan' and around it only due to the false university. Similarly they don't exist near 'Fes' for the same reason.

ps: Garcia of Galicia, the liege of all those Portuguese rebel COUNTS :D , was educated by the famous warrior-bishop 'Cresconio' so he should have religious education (martial cleric)

Fes/Karouan: I'll see to that -- province editing is annoying though :D

Garcia: education will be changed!
I've given him the ducal title of Porto as well, but that only lead to Porto becoming Leonese or Castillan. There are only two ways I can get the succession of the Porto title to work more-or-less as intended there -- 1) set Galicia to elective law, and 2) leave the situation as-is (Galicia and Porto both duchies, allied).

1) will lead to both Galicia and Porto going to one of the Portuguese counts, who will remain elective.
2) will lead to what is now the case -- Galicia goes to Leon or Castille, Porto becomes (remains) independent.

I strongly prefer 2.

jordarkelf said:
I've given him the ducal title of Porto as well, but that only lead to Porto becoming Leonese or Castillan.

BUT THAT'S OK!

IRL Porto was Leonese for more than 60 years:

1066 Garcia is the king of Galicia, medieval kingdom of Galicia includes the in-game duchies of Galicia and Porto
1070 Nuno Mendes count of Porto declared war on Garcia
1071 Garcia defeats Nuno, the Mendes dinasty is banished
1071 Leon and Castille Declared war on Galicia
1071 Leon and castille won and divided Galicia and Porto duchies between them, Garcia flees to Seville taifa (Garcia collected the 'Parias' of both Seville and Badajoz Taifas)
1072 Sancho of Castille helped by 'the Cid' defeated his brother Alfonso of Leon becoming king of castilla, leon and galicia (this including galicia and porto duchies)
1072 Sancho is assassinated by Leonese agent. Alfonso inherits everything
----------
1093 Porto (the duchy territories) is offered to Henry of burgundy as dowry
1096 Galicia (compostela and santiago provinces) is offered to Raimond of Burgundy (the cousin of Henry)
---------
1139 under the son of Henry, Afonso Henriques, the duchy of portugal expands south
1139 Afonso declares Portugal independent kingdom

some important missing characters for this scenario:
Castillians:
-'Pedro Ansurez', the best friend of Alfonso of Leon, latter he was count of Valladolid (courtier in Leon)
-'Vellido Dolfos' the assassin of Sancho of Castille (courtier of Leon)

Galicians:
-'Froila de Traba/Trastamara', who was the founder of the dinasty that in the sXIV-XV ruled as kings of Castille, Navarra, Aragon and Napoli (courtier in Galicia)
-'Diego Xelmirez', secondary son of the count Gelmirez (in 1066 a 8 year old with religious education, courtier in galicia, fosterling in leon). Being latter assistant of the duke of Galicia (Raimond of Burgundy), then bishop, archbishop and ruler of Compostela, and finally papal legate for Spain with 7 Cardinals in Rome as representation.

also some relations can be improved:
-The three brothers should be enemies
-Alfonso is friend of his sister Urraca (Zamora Countess) and Pedro Ansurez.
-for unknown reasons IRL Burgundy heirs and nobles usually ended in the Leonese court :confused:

Last edited:
Wow, really?
Then I really need to look into this some more. Would you happen to have a link to a historic writeup on this somewhere? Wiki is worthless.

From a quick look it looks like making Galicia Galicia+Porto is fine then, and adding two the characters you mention.
Nuno's dynasty can be renamed, and I might be able to coax the Burgundians into moving to Porto by making them friends... exiled courtiers often go to their friends.

jordarkelf said:
Wow, really?
Then I really need to look into this some more. Would you happen to have a link to a historic writeup on this somewhere? Wiki is worthless.
Only if you can read Galician, Spanish or Portuguese.
Maybe I have something in English in an Osprey book about Reconquista but I'm not sure were the book is.
I'll try too search something in English in the web.

jordarkelf said:
From a quick look it looks like making Galicia Galicia+Porto is fine then, and adding too the characters you mention.
I think I can find more of them, I only looked for 1066 Galician and Leonese and not really deep. I did this because I realized Castille had a lot of characters and the other two have none.

The three kings are not very well done too:
Garcia's attributes seems to me quite arbitrary except for health maybe (he died young).
Alfonso is too good as a warrior and his diplomacy and intrigue were surely even better (he managed to inherit a kingdom -the best one- not being the true heir, assassinated his brother and he still seems to have a lot of friends).
Sancho of Castille is ok edit

jordarkelf said:
Nuno's dynasty can be renamed
'Nuno' surname is 'Mendes' he should have the trait 'rebellious' too.
'Sisnando' of coimbra surname is 'Davides' he was friend of 'The Cid' and probably had an alliance with the muslims next to Coimbra, he had no sons and his inheritor was someone called 'Martim Moniz'.
I don't know who is 'Ordonho of Bragança'

Don't know if changing their Dynasties worth the work because they were destroyed shortly after.

jordarkelf said:
and I might be able to coax the Burgundians into moving to Porto by making them friends... exiled courtiers often go to their friends.

It would need some fosterlings between them if possible, because the relation is very long lasting.

Last edited:
I can't read Portuguese unfortunately. A little french and italian, but that's it.
I'm looking into the changes now -- do you know if the Burgundian Henri (#6531, born in 1065, so almost 2 at scenario start) is the later Henry the Navigator?

jordarkelf said:
do you know if the Burgundian Henri (#6531, born in 1065, so almost 2 at scenario start) is the later Henry the Navigator?

no, if he is born in 1065 or so that character is 'Henrique de Borgonha' the one who gets the duchy of Porto as a dowry from the king of Leon. The father of the first Portuguese king

'Henry the Navigator' (Henrique o Navegador) was a XV character, seemingly the first portuguese noble with a duke title (duke of Viseu)... tons of info in Portuguese about this one.

More Characters:
Nobles of Galicia:
-'Xelmirio', Marshal-like character. five sons: Munio, Gundesindo, Pedro, Xoán, Diego Xelmirez (the future archbishop of compostela, I mentioned him before)
-'Diego Páez', bishop. good administration and intrigue, loyalist or friend of Garcia. latter, enemy of Alfonso King of Leon.
-'Rodrigo Ovéquiz' (father surname was 'Vermudez'), loyalist or friend of Garcia
...with 'Froila de Traba' they make 4 adults and 5 children

Nobles of Leon:
-'Pelayo', Bishop of Leon. like 'Garcia' he was educated by 'Cresconio' the warrior-bishop.

Last edited:
Rogan -- if you can find me some more info on those characters:
Martim Moniz, Xelmiro and sons, Diego Páez, Rodrigo Ovéquiz/Vermudez, Froila de Traba, Pelayo -- I can add them. I need some idea on their stats, traits, dates of birth, and (if known) appearance if I want to add them.

jordarkelf said:
Rogan -- if you can find me some more info on those characters:
Martim Moniz, Xelmiro and sons, Diego Páez, Rodrigo Ovéquiz/Vermudez, Froila de Traba, Pelayo -- I can add them. I need some idea on their stats, traits, dates of birth, and (if known) appearance if I want to add them.

:wacko: ufff, I'll try, but it is really hard to gather information about XI century Galician Nobles! Can't you use an average score for stats modified by their education?
this is what I have:

*'Froila de Traba/Trastamara'
-Born: 1045
-Stats & traits: soldier lvl2. good fertility. fanatic
-Notes: IRL he was Count of a part of western 'compostela' province, married with 'Elvira de Faro' (born 1050)

*'Xelmirio'
-Born: 103-
-Stats & traits: marshall-soldier lvl2. valorous, honest, energic
-friends: 'Diego Paez'
-five sons: Munio, Gundesindo, Pedro, Xoán, Diego Xelmirez* (very similar too Diego Paez but he is a baby or child in 1066) & one daughter (in that order), no more info except for a real lot about 'Diego Xelmirez' but he is too young.

*'Diego Páez'
-Born: similar age to 'Garcia'
-Stats & traits: religious lvl4. very good stats. fanatic, just, energic, vengeful
-Friends: 'Xelmirio', The Pope 'Urbano II', Garcia (of Galicia)?, 'Rodrigo Ovequiz'?,
-Enemies: Alfonso (of Leon)
-Notes: contacts with 'William the Conqueror' to restore Galicia as a kingdom. Upraising against Leon in 1088 with counts 'Rodrigo & Vela Ovequiz' for similar reason that lasted for 2 years.

*'Rodrigo Ovéquiz' (son of 'Oveco Vermudez')
-Born: similar age to 'Garcia'
-Stats & traits: spymaster lvl2-3.
-Friends: 'Vela Ovéquiz', Garcia (of Galicia)?, 'Diego Paez'?, William the Conqueror?
-Enemies: Alfonso (of Leon)?
-Notes: IRL Count of Lugo (eastern part of 'Compostela' province), Lider of the Galician Nobility. he had a brother named 'Vela Ovéquiz' who was Count too.

*Garcia of Galicia:
-Stats & traits: better stats for sure, he was a good ruler, he managed to stay alive for almost 30 years and even try to return to his kingdom. no illness, not so bad fertility!
-friends: maybe the 'Ovequiz' and 'Diego Paez'
-Enemies: his brothers
-Notes: he was about to marry a daughter of 'William the Conqueror', maybe they should be friends because there are several relations between William and Galicias court.
when captive he had a son named 'Ramiro'. 'Fernando Garcia de Castro', founder of the powerful 'Castro' dynasty is possibly a bastard of Garcia.

I have no more info right now about 'Pelayo' bishop of Leon (although he is of a similar age of Garcia, and probably studied together), but I can find something about 'Pedro Ansurez' he is very famous in Valladolid.

------------------
I found a web in english with some lineages but it is really hard to read:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SPANISH NOBILITY EARLY MEDIEVAL.htm

Im very intrigued and happy that Iberia is getting fleshed out!

I have been curious though and would like to know from Rogan de Auria as he has studied this. Would it be appropriate to split the Jamanez family up to the de Navarra, de Leon, de Castilla, de Aragon, ect?

I have been doing this in my own scenarios since reading that Queen Urraca is described variously as Urraca de Castilla or Urraca de Leon.

Oops!

Jordarkelf, might you make the Duchy of Gwynedd as grey, and the kingdom of Wales as purple? Currently I think you have Duchy of Gwynedd as purple and the kingdom at its default of grey.