• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
jordarkelf said:
Since there are no characters of that name in the scenarios, nope. I can do so of course -- reason I'm asking is that there is no way to fix dynasties to cultures, so in 1337 you will get Jaques Naonez and Henri Leon if I add them as province dynasties.

I think that "Leon" is better than "of Léon" since the county of Léon always kept the breton culture during the CK frame. So we won't often get many "Henri Leon".
However, concerning the county of Nantes, you're right since Nantes' culture was Gallo (ie almost French). Maybe you could use "de Nantes" instead of "of Nantes". Do you think "Jacques de Nantes" is better than "Jacques of Nantes"?

jordarkelf said:
Hmm, maybe I should make Nubia greek or -- any objections to it? It would lead to more suitable names.
List of Nubian rulers.

Seems alright for them to be Greek.

Thing is, there are three types of dynasties -- one for every province "of PROVINCENAME",
dynasties which only appear at scenario start (like "De Normandie", "Angevin"), and
dynasties which appear in provinces. "Leon" and "de Nantes" can be added as type 3, but I'm keeping the "of Leon", "of Nantes" generic ones -- since all provinces have them.

Also, /ruler culture/ determines the random courtier culture, not /province culture/. As soon as any Breton province is owned by any other culture, no Bretons will spawn there.

jordarkelf said:
Thing is, there are three types of dynasties -- one for every province "of PROVINCENAME",
dynasties which only appear at scenario start (like "De Normandie", "Angevin"), and
dynasties which appear in provinces. "Leon" and "de Nantes" can be added as type 3, but I'm keeping the "of Leon", "of Nantes" generic ones -- since all provinces have them.

Also, /ruler culture/ determines the random courtier culture, not /province culture/. As soon as any Breton province is owned by any other culture, no Bretons will spawn there.

I understand, so you will have to create 3 new dynasties (type 3):
-"Leon" used by the count of Léon and his family in 1066: his name is Morvan.
-"Penteur", this one should be given to Odo,the count of Penthièvre and his sons. In the current DVIP; his dynasty's name is Roahzon (id 22006).
-"Naoned" used by Havoise, the duchess of Brittany (currently she is called Havoise of Nantes", her father Judicael, her brother Conan. Both of them are dead in 1066.

Consider it done next time I get my CK working. :)

//Edit: I have only Breton "Havoise" in 1066, currently a "Roazhon" and daughter of one "Alan" and sibling "Konan" and "Emma" -- is this the Havoise you mean?

Last edited:
Oops, I made a mistake. In fact, "Naoned" should be used for the duke's mother Judith(10043). It should also be used for Judith's brother, Budic (10057) and for Judith's father, Judicael (10056).
I 've just noticed that they are all dead :eek: Do you think it's worthable to create this new dynasty?

hey, i did some more checking about that Iestyn Morgan character i mentioned previously.

according to the 1066 relations inc file, his marriage doesn't have a deathdate, even though his wife is dead, so this probably confirms your speculation about the bug.

what's really strange, though, is that the marriage begins in 1044...six years before he was even born, and a year before his wife was born!

he's character id 6376, and she's "Angharad," character id 40516.

Will be fixed, thanks.

I'm revising the taifa setup now, I got a good book from the library dealing with muslim Spain that lists much more accurate info on them.
A teaser:
-Badajoz, Toledo, Albarracin, Granada, Murcia, and Almeria are now Berber taifas
-Valencia is now an independent taifa
-Dénia (Mallorca/Balearics) is now ruled by a serb muslim (representing "saqaliba" -- muslim slaves from Slavic lands). Ruler of Dénia now has a father, his correct name, and a sister (married to heir of Zaragoza)
-Most taifa claims removed, instead some Arabs now have claims on Berbers and vice versa.
-Sevilla and Cordoba (the two Arab taifas) now start allied

I've also found that Beni Helal was a shiite arab tribe, as was Cyrenaica, so I've corrected that. The entire North-African setup has thus become more dynamic.
And I've linked up the various branches of the Zirids.

I'm testing these changes now, if it works out as I hoped v6 will be out soon.

Last edited:
Second part of Britanny's update (in 1066), this one is concerning names.

-Duke of Britanny was called Hoel, not Hoël (remove the dieresis)
-You should also give his son Alan his nickname "Fergant" (ie: the young)
-Jafrez the count of Rennes (id10045) was known as Jafrez "Grenonat" (ie he has a moustache). Then you should give this DNA: 12342310437642.
-The count of Penthièvre (id346), Odo have a wrong name. His breton name was Eozen. His son Jafrez (id350) was nicknamed Jafrez "Boterel". You should also remove his bastard trait since he was also the son of Agnes and he inherited the county of Penthièvre. (I have just noticed that Agnes is not in the game, I will check ASAP).

PS: I've noticed that you implement my proposal concerning Taifa's mutual claims :) Hope it will make the Reconquista more feasible.

At some point in the Public Beta progress the intrigue stats of William the Conquerer were lowered, I can't remember exactly why. But I believe it was to make the odds of a rebellion against him by the Leofricson brothers more likelier (realm duress). Nowthat we have rivals/friends I don't think this is necessary anymore.

I am currently reading a book that deals with William and there it says that all the sources describe him as follows

'he was feared as a peerless warrior, an able strategist and a ruthless politician. He was a cold, grim and overweeningly ambitious man, who could be extremely harsh and cruel and brooked no opposition to his personal will. He was violent but scheming, deadly as a snake when struck, but prepared to be as patient as Job to achieve his eventual ends.'

He f.e. was behind the poisoning of the counf of Vexin, Walter and his wife Biota, who died shortly after having a guests of William. Count Walter as claimant to the county of Maine, a county which William wanted to. Another claimant to the county of Maine was Herbert Bacco. Herbert offered his services to William. If William would support him in becoming count of Maine, Herbert would become his vassal. And if Herbert died childless William would be his heir. Immediately after the conquest of Maine, Herbert died mysteriously and childless.

In my opinion this means that William should have a much higher intrigue value, something around 10.

William also has the 'sceptical' trait, which is strange since he was firm supporter of the monastic reform movement in the 11th century. He himself built several monasteries. It would be better to give him the 'pragmatic' trait instead.

William also deplored drunkeness and he was also wasn't a man who like great, expensive meals. So making this would would make him 'temperate' to.

William's starts the scenario without friends, while he had at least to people who were very close to him, since they grew up together as children, those two are William FitzOsbern de Bretieul, count of Hereford and Gloucester and Roger de Montgomery, count of Shrewsbury and Sussex

Code:
friend = {
		primary = { type = 10 id = 140 }
		secondary = { type = 10 id = 6806 }
		startdate = { year = 1066 month = january day = 1 }
	}
friend = {
		primary = { type = 10 id = 140 }
		secondary = { type = 10 id = 152 }
		startdate = { year = 1066 month = january day = 1 }
	}

Hasimir: Agnes is in, named "Oanez Kerne" character ID 10041

Changes made.

Veld: changes made :)
William had intrigue 9 in earlier versions IIRC, so I'll give him that -- with his traits this will be 10 in-game.

As for the taifas -- Cordoba survived until 1080 now before it was eaten, but there's still no united muslim block. This is actually good, since it gives the iberians a chance to reconquer Spain one taifa at the time.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
Hasimir: Agnes is in, named "Oanez Kerne" character ID 10041

Changes made.

As for the taifas -- Cordoba survived until 1080 now before it was eaten, but there's still no united muslim block. This is actually good, since it gives the iberians a chance to reconquer Spain one taifa at the time.

Concerning Agnes, you're right. No need to create a new character. Otherwise, the Taifas' tweaks seem to work fine. Will they be introduce in DVIP 6?

jordarkelf I want to bring back my point in a few posts before where I mentioned the possibility of events that change your fosterling's religion while away. For example an orthodox fosterling in catholic court or vice versa.

You said it's already possible but it isn't as even with religious education the child finishesh the education AFTER he/she returns to his/her home country. So basicly no chance of that happening.

So how about some event about it ? :D

@Hasimir: yup, the taifa change and north african setup (and everything else discussed thus far) will make it in.

@Riddermark: I just don't think it's that credible. I won't include it in the DVIP -- but I can write an event for it if you like.

@Vasious: Saxon/Anglo-Saxon was much discussed, and many people objected to it... I'm not that certain it's a right change anymore. If more people support it I'll make the change but thus far you're the only one.
It's trivial to change in world_names.csv though.

Allright was just a suggestion anyway, I won't trouble you with that kind of event just for me :) Thanks!

jordarkelf said:
...I can't really fix the 1337 scenario...I could include aylo1's excellent version instead, but as this one is based on the pre-DV IP, it lacks any DV traits and improvements...For now I am leaving the 1337 scenario as-is until I find whatever its problem is.

Given heaps of time, patience & some reserved char\dynastic ids I could slowly rebuild my 1337 scenario for DV. Alas my specialty is the Byzantine Empire & its surrounds (ie. Trebizond, Crusader Greece etc) so the rest of Europe is in another's hands.

Meanwhile I'll keep posting suggestions so there's less work for me everytime a new versions out.

Basil Apocapes

Gregory Pakourianos

Create Duchy\Principality of Kartli under the Lipartids\Baghvashi\Orbeliani who were rivals of the Georgian Bagratids (plus GEOR another dynasty to play with) You'll hafta go through a few links get enough info to mod

Kldekari
lipartids orbeliani

PS - jordarkelf, would rather I post new chars here or email them 2 u directly?

Last edited:
Aylo1: thanks! Changes will be made.
If you want to try to update 1337 to DV (mainly this means include to incorporate the new 1337 mongol setup in it, and revise existing characters/traits) -- just pick a dynasty range. You could use the range 30000-39999, I'll not use that one.
No preference to posting of new stuff -- this work is very much public :)
The forum is fine.

Version 6 is out, thanks all.
Changelog in first post or download thread.

Keep an eye out for strange happenings in muslim lands, especially in Iberia and North Africa. The revised religions, cultures, and relations should lead to a much more dynamic gameplay there.
If you notice anything really strange, let me know.

I had to invent some names here and there, such as for the Zirid cadet branches' ancestors and for Mallorca's ruler's sister, which I picked more-or-less at random. Hope they're suitable.