• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vasious said:
The Schism was less than 20 years old, perhaps not so in grained at that point, if you were not a major player. Afterall it was not a heretical difference, but it seems more like a political difference resulting from the cultural differences. In fact it was more subordiantes squabbling and excommunicating each other as opposed to the churchs as a whole.
Is this historically plausible? well the boarder Kingdoms/territories could have swayed between the two depending on the Political advantage/playing both ends against the middle. Or even just the whim of Rulers, as they do. A later period but how many times did England change it state religion?

Good topic. In 1066 the schism was indeed a new thing, something not quite yet permanent, with the slightest possibility of being healed. Popes like Urban II and, it would seem, the Emperors and some of the Orthodox clergy had an interest in healing the schism to facilitate aide to the besieged Roman Empire. Unfortunately this was not to be, mostly due to political/military affairs and mutual distrust, but it was possible depending on the personalities of the time. As to your question on border territories: Bosnia/Serbia, most of the Balkans really, and parts of Eastern Europe were areas of competition between Catholic and Orthodox missionaries and the supremacy of one or the other was hardly guaranteed. Bosnia actually ended up with a hybrid church in the late medieval period, referred to as the Bogumil Heresy, due to this competition and the country's position as a crossroads of Catholic-Orthodox influence. It'd be interesting to see the proselytizing competition in-game, and I suppose it's already possible considering who conquers the relevant regions.

About the 1337 scenario,
should the ruling dynasty of Trebizond be the Megas Komnenoi instead of the Rubinids? In addition, Nikomedia was still Byzantine at the beginning of 1337 and only fell to the Turks later that year.

Praetor said:
In addition, Nikomedia was still Byzantine at the beginning of 1337 and only fell to the Turks later that year.
Well if something happened later in the year and isn't easily represented/repoducable it's generally just put at the start of the scenerio files, like the end of a war.

Praetor said:
About the 1337 scenario,
should the ruling dynasty of Trebizond be the Megas Komnenoi instead of the Rubinids? In addition, Nikomedia was still Byzantine at the beginning of 1337 and only fell to the Turks later that year.

Just Komnenoi, Megai Komnenoi was a title (lit. Great\Grand Komnenos). I think they were trying to copy Julius Caesar whose name became a byword for Emperor. Yes something has been done to fix it.

motiv-8 said:
Good topic. In 1066 the schism was indeed a new thing, something not quite yet permanent, with the slightest possibility of being healed...depending on the personalities of the time...

Unlikely, the Papacy was just about to turn Imperialistic\militant from the Gregorian Reforms, so there'd be no compromise but rather a 'join us or be excommunicated' outcome. Ashame CK only has the Papal controller concept, I'd like the Pope to randomly excommunicate anyone who had poor relations or was heretical towards him.

Last edited:
i'm displeased about the shield of trincaria...

it is anachronichal; the original one (catalan dinasty) suits best

Last edited:
and roussillon REALLY should b catalan culture in the third scenario (never ever ever been occitan in RL)

I've been playing DVIPv4 for a bit and noticed that Guillam-Bertrand (the dead relative of the Duke of Provence, id 408) often has children with his wife after the scenario start. I think it might be because his marriage isn't marked as ended. I'll try the most recent version and see if it still happens - I didn't see it in the changelog.

If that's the case, there's yet another new bug in DV. In CK marriages were always auto-ended if either partner died.
I messed up my CK/DV install so I can't check at the moment. I'll reinstall this weekend and incorporate some of the suggestions and fixes given here.

aylo1 said:
Improvements for V5
Excellent ones :)

Suggestion to link dynasties where applicable throughout scenarios with same DNA (even though they've aged), traits etc for continuity.
Maybe if I have time. Most of these would be dead characters anyway, so it will not add much to the game.

Finally what's the policy creating dynasties, only those who left kids or include founders & rulers whose legacy was continued by a nephew, son-in-law etc??
My personal policy is "as little as possible". I'd rather see multiple family branches in the same dynasty than multiple linked dynasties, since in CK inheritance is by dynasty only -- if your closely related cousin inherits, and he is of a different dynasty, it's game over.
But in cases where historically there was no chance of one family branch inheriting the other, a new dynasty is more appropriate.

By the way, I can't really fix the 1337 scenario. The "vanilla" version of it has at least one bug, so asides from small fixes to existing characters I can't change much -- the game refuses to load my corrected versions.
I could include aylo1's excellent version instead, but as this one is based on the pre-DV IP, it lacks any DV traits and improvements.
I've attempted to merge the two multiple times and failed.

For now I am leaving the 1337 scenario as-is until I find whatever its problem is.

I'd like to see a series of Antipope events. Perhaps if you and the Pope are enemies, and you have enough prestige, you can convince a fake Curia to declare your Diocese Bishop to be the "real" Pope, giving him claims on Papal land.

jordarkelf said:
By the way, I can't really fix the 1337 scenario. The "vanilla" version of it has at least one bug, so asides from small fixes to existing characters I can't change much -- the game refuses to load my corrected versions.
I could include aylo1's excellent version instead, but as this one is based on the pre-DV IP, it lacks any DV traits and improvements.
I've attempted to merge the two multiple times and failed.

For now I am leaving the 1337 scenario as-is until I find whatever its problem is.
Doesn't give you a line error?

i think i found a character bug in DVIP5.

the character is Iestyn Morgan, a courtier in the County of Glamorgan (character id = 6376).

firstly, although his wife is dead and he's of the same dynasty as the Count, you can't marry him off. i think this might be another example of the bug you mentioned above, and the game thinks he's still married to his dead wife.

secondly, at scenario start he's 16 and his eldest son is 5. he probably needs to be a few years older...

Jinnai: no, unfortunately not. It's probably a nation problem, where a different ruler is defined in 1337_countries.inc and 1337_titles.inc, which is extremely hard to find out since I can't even sort countries.inc.

Brother Onion -- thanks, I'll see how his age should be adjusted. Appreciate the character ID, that saves a lot of time.

Hi modders !

There are some errors concerning duchy of Brittany in 1066. Some of them concern the dynasties' name. I've made some investigations on the web (mostly on wiki brezhoneg), and I propose some minor modifications:

-"Kernow"(id311) should be change in "Kerne" (Kernow design the british Cornwall and not the Breton one)
-"Roazhn"(id22006) ==> "Roazhon"
-"de Penthievre"(id100102) ==> "Penteur"
-"of Léon"(id100103) ==> "Leon"
-"of Nantes"(id100106) ==> "Naoned"
-"de Porhoët"(id312) ==> "Porhoet"

I've got other proposals concerning Brittany, but before I'll wait for your comments.
See you soon...

As a note concerning Arab names, if you want added realism shouldn't Muhammad be more common? Of course having 30 "Muhammad"'s in your court can cause trouble, so why not a name after Muhammad? E.g. the following:

Code:
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad
muslim;male;Muhammad Isa
muslim;male;Muhammad Abdul-Azeem
muslim;male;Muhammad Abdul-Wahad
muslim;male;Muhammad Mahdi
muslim;male;Muhammad Is'mail
muslim;male;Muhammad Ahmad
muslim;male;Muhammad Habib
muslim;male;Muhammad Jawdat
muslim;male;Muhammad Latif
muslim;male;Muhammad Khalid
muslim;male;Muhammad Muhsin
muslim;male;Muhammad Malik
muslim;male;Muhammad Ibrahim
muslim;male;Muhammad Ali
muslim;male;Muhammad Murad
muslim;male;Muhammad Hussayn
muslim;male;Muhammad Musa
muslim;male;Muhammad Tahir
muslim;male;Muhammad Ya'qub
muslim;male;Muhammad AbuBakr
muslim;male;Muhammad Akbar
muslim;male;Muhammad Nuri
muslim;male;Muhammad Muzaffaraddin
muslim;male;Muhammad Mukhtar
muslim;male;Muhammad Rustam
muslim;male;Muhammad Sami
muslim;male;Muhammad Ra'uf
muslim;male;Muhammad Nazar
muslim;male;Muhammad Najib
muslim;male;Ibrahim Muhammad
muslim;male;Ali Muhammad
muslim;male;Musa Muhammad
muslim;male;Ya'qub Ali
muslim;male;Ibrahim Mukhtar
muslim;male;Murad Mukhtar
muslim;male;Ibrahim Ali
muslim;male;Nuraddin Ali
muslim;male;Ali Abdul-Wahab

Hasimir: keep them coming! I did a quick online search, and seems you're right.
More fixes are welcomed :)

One thing though -- the dynasties 100001-101003 are all of the form "of Provincename", so since the province 106 is called Nantes, dynasty should remain 106.
I've thus made a new dynasty Naoned for the three characters in 1066 -- should this one also randomly pop-up in Nantes?

Mrdie -- nice idea, the only disadvantage is that even christianized arabs will get these names (Nubia if it survives for example). Since Nubia won't survive in most games, that's a non-issue though :D

Hmm, maybe I should make Nubia greek or -- any objections to it? It would lead to more suitable names.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
Hasimir: keep them coming! I did a quick online search, and seems you're right.
More fixes are welcomed :)

One thing though -- the dynasties 100001-101003 are all of the form "of Provincename", so since the province 106 is called Nantes, dynasty should remain 106.
I've thus made a new dynasty Naoned for the three characters in 1066 -- should this one also randomly pop-up in Nantes?

I think it should, since Naoned means Nantes in Breton. Concerning Leon and Penteur (which also are of the form"of Province Name"), have you made new dynasties?

Since there are no characters of that name in the scenarios, nope. I can do so of course -- reason I'm asking is that there is no way to fix dynasties to cultures, so in 1337 you will get Jaques Naonez and Henri Leon if I add them as province dynasties.