• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another update for England (and Denmark :) )

Ealdgyth of Mercia, is the widow of king Harold Godwinson of England, her father is named Aelfgar (character ID = 81845)

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 123 }
	name = "Ealdgyth"
	gender = female
	dynasty = { type = 12 id =101925 }
	father = { type = 10 id = 81845 }
	country = DENM
	religion = catholic
	culture = Saxon
	birthdate = { year = 1033 month = january day = 1 }
	dna = "00419053813320"
	attributes = {
		martial = 4
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 6
		stewardship = 4
		health = 8
		fertility = 4
	}
	traits = {
		proud = yes
		indulgent = yes
		naive_wirepuller = yes
	}
}

But Ealdgyth was the sister of Morcar (duke of Northumbria) and Edwin Leofricson (duke of Lancaster). As there father is listed Alfgar (ID 5642).

So Aelfgar and Alfgar are the same person, so I would suggest to give Ealdgyth the same father as Edwin and Morcar, but to let her keep the dynastie name of Mercia. And to remove the second Aelfgar

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 123 }
	name = "Ealdgyth"
	gender = female
	dynasty = { type = 12 id =101925 }
	father = { type = 10 id = 5642 }
	country = DENM
	religion = catholic
	culture = Saxon
	birthdate = { year = 1033 month = january day = 1 }
	dna = "00419053813320"
	attributes = {
		martial = 4
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 6
		stewardship = 4
		health = 8
		fertility = 4
	}
	traits = {
		proud = yes
		indulgent = yes
		naive_wirepuller = yes
	}
}

A shame that Drachenfire forgot this in his Welsh Expansion mod, since there is where the 2nd Aelfgar comes from :)

source

--------------------------------------------------

There was also still a brother of king Harold Godwinson alive at that time, but he was a prisoner of William the Conquer, that brother was Wulfnoth Godwinson (born between 1036/1046 died 1094). He could be added to the game.

--------------------------------------------------

Another thing is King Svend Estridson (id 101515) has a lot of claims on English counties (the Danelaw I guess). I think it is best to be very reluctant with claims at the start of the scenario, since else all rulers would start with claims. Most claims at the start of the scenario are there, I believe, to force the AI in a certain direction. f.e. the claims that Robert Guiscard has on Capua and Napoli will result in the forming of the kingdom of Sicily.

But in all my games I have never seen the Danish AI ever do something with these claims. So I would suggest to remove them. But I would give Svend a claim on the kingtitle of England. Since he claimed to have more rights on it then William. Svend was the nephew (and nearest male relative) of Canute the Great, king of Denmark, Norway and England in the mid 11th century

--------------------------------------------------------------

I see that Jordarelf has already put up version 1.06 :), so maybe this is something for 1.07

Nah, I'll merge it in :D
I was considering the Danish claims actually -- good points. What I'll do is create the ducal title of York and give that to ENGL, and give Svend claims on ENGL and YORK.
Conceivably if someone declared himself Duke of York, Svend could've enforced his claim on Jarl of Yorvik...

Another update in a few minutes.

//Edit: Uploaded.

Last edited:
The ruler of Mallorca is using a Kingdom tag, which might make him a target for muslim pledgings and is a bit weird considering everybody else is at duke level.

Which scenario?
1066: BALE is a duchy level tag (downgraded), nonrecreatable and held by a muslim
MALL (duchy) does not exist at scenario start.
1187: ditto
1337: BALE is supposed to be a kingdom (nonrecreatable).

BALE is a downgraded kingdom tag in 1066 since it works just like a duchy in other ways (dukes can't pledge to it), and this frees up MALL for christian conquest. It was like this before, but since its ruler in 1066 was a dark culture before this engine oddity was hidden from sight.

Minor tweaks 4 DV6

All 1066 scenario

Char 7756 Boniface should be Bonifacio, daughter Matilda 7757 should be Matelda as they're both Italian nobles. Dynastic 101556 'of Canossa' can be 'di Canossa'

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 41590 }
	name = "Thoros" #Kuropalates
	gender = male
	dynasty = { type = 12 id = 101738 }
	father = { type = 10 id = 41589 }
	country = C758
	religion = orthodox
	culture = Armenian
	birthdate = { year = 1045 month = january day = 1 }
	dna = "04000401120006"
	attributes = {
		martial = 7
		diplomacy = 8
		intrigue = 7
		stewardship = 8
		health = 7
		fertility = 7
	}
	traits = {
		lustful = yes
		generous = yes
		tough_soldier = yes
	}
}

Formerly Oshim, now Thoros who adopted future Baldwin of Edessa as heir. His son (formerly Hetum) now his brother Oshim whose heirs were among the nobility of Cicilica Armenia.

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 41591 }
	name = "Oshim" #Stratopedarchos
	gender = male
	dynasty = { type = 12 id = 101738 }
	father = { type = 10 id = 41589 } 
	country = C758
	religion = orthodox
	culture = Armenian
	birthdate = { year = 1056 month = january day = 1 } 
	dna = "04040200010004"
	attributes = {
		martial = 7
		diplomacy = 7
		intrigue = 7
		stewardship = 7
		health = 7
		fertility = 7
	}
	traits = {
		honest = yes
		martial_education = yes
	}
}

Former Stephanoso Kaukadenos at Melitene now Ghavril of Melitene whose daughters married Thoros (above), Baldwin of Edessa & Levon II of Armenia Minor.

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 20562 }
	name = "Ghavril" #Stephanos
	gender = male
	dynasty = { type = 12 id =100706 } #of Melitene
	country = C707
	religion = orthodox
	culture = armenian #greek
	score = { gold = 25 prestige = 100 piety = 0 }
	birthdate = { year = 1039 month = january day = 0 }
	dna = "80355567119747"
	attributes = {
		martial = 8
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 5
		stewardship = 6
		health = 6
		fertility = 6
	}
	traits = {
		loyalist = yes
		tough_soldier = yes
	}
}

Eldest daughter's name randomly chosen from list. 2nd & 3rd have correct names but may have been born much later as they both died in 1120s-30s. I've included them anyway. Their mother 4562 (hist unknown, so I've left 20562's spouse there) might need to be older.

Code:
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 90024 }
	name = "Khoushoush" 
	gender = female
	father = { type = 10 id = 20562 } #Ghavril
	mother = { type = 10 id = 4562 } 
	country = C707
	religion = orthodox
	culture = armenian 
	birthdate = { year = 1060 month = january day = 0 }
	dna = "68040533860632"
	attributes = {
		martial = 4
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 4
		stewardship = 4
		health = 5
		fertility = 4
	}
	traits = {
		ecclesiastical_education = yes
	}
}
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 90025 }
	name = "Morfia" 
	gender = female
	country = C707
	religion = orthodox
	culture = armenian 
	birthdate = { year = 1062 month = january day = 0 }
	dna = "07020509080609"
	attributes = {
		martial = 4
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 4
		stewardship = 4
		health = 6
		fertility = 4
	}
	traits = {
	}
}
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 90026 }
	name = "Beatrice" 
	gender = female
	country = C707
	religion = orthodox
	culture = armenian 
	birthdate = { year = 1066 month = january day = 0 }
	dna = "03060502080600"
	attributes = {
		martial = 4
		diplomacy = 4
		intrigue = 4
		stewardship = 4
		health = 7
		fertility = 5
	}
	traits = {
	}
}

Last edited:
@ Veld: Good Catch!

Kk, downloaded Deus Vault and the current Improvement pack.

Here are corrections:

1066 Hastings

Aberffraws in exile in Dublin:
Duplicate Cynan of Dublin and his son Gruffydd in the county of Dublin. They should be tagged to Aberffraw dynasty. I think the issue is in a duplicate Gruffydd, and his father in the scenario (the origionals were either not retaged or removed when the corrected ones were added) Be sure to remove the origionals, as the claims against Gwynedd are taged to the newer characters.

Bleddyn Mathrafal, duke of Gwynedd, should be allied with Northumbria and Lancaster, as he also participating in the Great Northern War alongside the Saxons against the Normans. Also, there is a missing character who in 1066 was the Saxon earl of Shrewsbury, Eadric the Wild, who never made it into the origional game. Until the great northern war his lands included Shopshire (Shrewsbury), the northern half of Herefordshire and southern half of Chester. I recommend however, to give Edric Shrewsbury and Chester (or Chester alone), as the former Earldom of Mercia is represented by Lancaster, so too should Edric's. In my own scenario, I have him named Eadric Silvagius (the Wild) Aelfricson (his father was Aelfric) and count of Chester and Shrewsbury. Eadric was in possession of his lands as late as 1072, when he joined William de Normandie on a campaign in Scotland.

Bleddyn should be allied with him too. Ill post details if you wish to add him. Roger de Montgomerie did not become earl of Shrewsbury until after Eric was displaced.

County of Murry in Scotland should also be mountains also for Ben Nevis.

1187 Hattin:

Dafydd Aberffraw and his family should be moved to Perfeddwld, and he should be count of Perfeddwld and Duke of Gwynedd, however Powys and Gwynedd should be untaged as his direct vassels in the start of the scenario.

Dafydd's half brother Rhodri Aberffraw should be made count of Gwynedd at scenario start. The English court recognized Dafydd as Prince of Gwynedd (Duke of Gwynedd for the game), but Dafydd and his family were in residence in Ruddyn in Perfeddwld, as the western half was ceded to his half brother Rhodri after a dynastic civil war of sorts. So the county of Gwynedd should not be part of the duchy of Gwynedd at scenario start. Additional courtiers in the county of Gwynedd would be Rhodri's sons Tomas, Gruffudd, and Einion

In the 17th and 18th centiry, the descendants of Prince Tomas were claimed by Sir John Wynn as his direct male line ancestors - a claim he would later have proven in court. Rhodri died in 1195.

Owain Cyfelloig, count of Powys, and his sons should be retaged from Aberffraw to Mathrafal. The County of Powys should not be part of the Duchy of Gwynedd at scenario start.

Rhys, Duke of Deheubarth should be retaged from Aberffraw to Dinefwr. Also, why was Dyfed made part of England? And Glamorgan should be under the direct control of Prince John Angivine in 1187, not part of Deheubarth.

I do know that the Lord Rhys was made Henry's Justicar in S. Wales, however Welsh law was paramount in Deheubarth as it was in Gwynedd. And as professor John Davies points out, Wales was as much a part of England as was Scotland in the 12th century. So if Dyfed becomes part of England in 1187, so should Gwynedd and Scotland.

Brittany:

Constance of Brittany, if we are keeping her last name Breton and her culture Breton, should have her name rendered in Breton: Konstanza. Also, for a smooth transition from Konstanza, Duchess of Brittany, to her son Arthurz (Arthur), she should be taged to the Angivine dynasty. Have her middle name as her current last name.

Furthermore, if we are going to render Arthur Angivine's name into Breton, we should consider rendering the d'Anjou or Angivine dynasty name specific for him. I can look that up.

Jerusalem:

Sibylla d'Anjou was born in about 1160, she is currently 10 years too old. Also, she was hereditary Queen of Jerusalem, Guy was merely the king-consort. As in Brittany, she should be made Queen and Guy as Marshal, imo.

*lastly, Ill post updated Breton and Welsh dynasty names. It seems none were included in the improvement pack as yet.

Last edited:
You're being a little cryptic.
"Wales was as much a part of England as was Scotland in the 12th century. So if Dyfed becomes part of England in 1187, so should Gwynedd and Scotland." -- you mean, Dyfed should be made independent.
Dyfed falls under England because Paradox made them so in DV.

Everything up to now has been implemented, but for the future it would really help if you could give character IDs and tags as well, saves me from a lot of work.

As a sidenote, I have included the revised Welsh and Breton dynasties a few updates ago. What version of the DVIP have you downloaded?

Last edited:
Rebellious trait removed from northern Saxons to prevent an early suicide

*blink* This was one of the mechanics that prevented William from overunning Scotland, Wales, and Ireland too early! lol. When one plays in Wales or Ireland, having the Saxons rebel forced William to devote resources there, and prevented an early invasion of Wales, Scotland, and Ireland!

Sorry I was so cryptic in my last post. I was tired when I finely got the download and entered the game, and since I havent coded CK in some while, I have to remind myself how to get in there and find them.

Current and Modern Breton surnames, derived mostly from Breton origionals. Source
http://www.gwalarn.org/dijon/noms/frame.html

I highly recommend that Cornwall in England be of Breton culture. While Welsh and Breton are VERY close linguisticly and even culturally, Breton and Cornish were even more so. Additionally, I would remove the province of Cornwall from being part of England per se. But this is optional.

Barz from Bard, profession, compare Welsh Bardd
Bihan Small, decriptive, compare Welsh Bach)
Bellec Priest (profession)
Bescond Breton for Viscount
Bleuzen White Flower,
Bloc' H Beardless, descriptive
Bleis Wolf, compare Welsh Bleddyn
Bolloré Bay tree, from bod + lore
Bouguennec "chubby-checked fellow", from boc' hek

Cadoudal "valorous with the combat", from kad + uual Welsh: Cadfeal
Calloc' H "virile" from kalloc' H
Callonnec "courageous, which has heart" kalonek
Calvez "carpenter" klavez
Canévet "venerated with the combat" kad + neved Welsh:
Cannevet "venerated with the combat" kad + neved
Caradec "pleasant" karadek
Caradeuc "pleasant" karadek
Clech "height, coast" krec' H
Cloarec "clerk, seminarist" kloareg
Coadou "wood" koad *Welsh Coed
Cornec "horned" kornek
Costic "guard, guard" kost
Costiou "guard, man of guard" kost

Derrien "of good line"
Dréau form derived from "trev" (village) trev, Welsh Tre

Eostic "nightingale" eostig
Even form derived from Ewen Ewen
Evennou form derived from Ewen
Evin form derived from Ewen
Ewen

Falc' hum "falcon" (bird) falc' hun
Flaouter "flutist" fleüter
Floc' H "rider, page" floc' H
Fol "insane, illuminated" foll
Fur "wise" fur
Fustec "high on legs" fustek

Garrec "which has large legs" garek
Gonidec "farmer" goudineg
Guellaff "the best" gwellañ
Guen (It) "white, pure" gwenn Welsh: Gwen, modern Wynn
Guennec "which is white, which is pure" gwennek

Houérou "turned sour, grumpy" it hwerous

Kalloc' H "virile" kalloc' H

Lan "moor, monastery" and church lann Welsh Llan
Lannurien "place devoted à holy Urien" lann + Urien
Larzul form derived from Arthur Arthur
Louarn "fox" louarn
Lous (It) "badger" (animal) lous

Madec "good, fortunate" madek Welsh: Madog, Madox
Mainguy "warlike powerful" (dog = warlike) maen + ki
Manac' H "monk" manac' H

Pen "head" penn Welsh: Pen
Penduff "black head, bad head" penn + of
Pennec "been obstinated, obstinate" pennek
Pensec "which has large buttocks" peñsek (love this one!)
Péoc' H "peace, silence" peoc' H
Penven "white head, light-haired boy" penn + gwenn
Prigent "of good descent" + race took
Priol "prior" (religious function) priol
Rivoal form derived from Riwal (holy) Riwal
Rivoalen train derived from Rioual "valorous king" laughed + gwal
Rivoallan train derived from Rioual "valorous king" laughed + gwal

Scoarnec "which has large ears" skouarnek
Seznec name derived from Sezni (holy originating in Ireland) Sezni
Yaouanc (It) "young person" yaouank

Last edited:
Corrected Welsh coats of arms.

Kingdom of Wales: Inspired by Owain Glyndŵr. They were based off of the earlier arms of Gwenydd, but notice how the lions are on their hind legs, in a War Like state.

Duchy of Gwynedd, traditional arms of the Aberffraw dynasty. These arms are already in game, but I dont remember their designated code atm, will post that shortly.

County of Gwynedd Alternative arms for Gwynedd

County of Powys

Duchy of Deheubarth

As for Cornwall province's culture:

Cornish shares about 80% basic vocabulary with Breton, 75% with Welsh, 35% with Irish, and 35% with Scottish Gaelic (Wiki)

Since the difference is just 5%, and Cornwall is more likely to end up in Welsh hands than in Breton ones (if either), I think it's better to keep it Welsh (for "Brythonic") -- Cornwall after all means "Welsh from Corn".

COAs -- if you can apply the woodgrain to them, I'll put them in the COA pack. I don't have Photoshop so can't do it, and Paint.net doesn't support the template format.

Last edited:
Since the difference is just 5%, and Cornwall is more likely to end up in Welsh hands than in Breton ones (if either), I think it's better to keep it Welsh (for "Brythonic") -- Cornwall after all means "Welsh from Corn".

Your call, hehe. But, remember that Corn is a shared Brythonic root word between Welsh and Breton, and the Wall was the suffix the Anglo-Saxons applied to the Romano-Britons (ancestors of Welsh and Bretons) living in that area.

Second question: Will you leave Cornwall taged to England?

Third Question: Is it possible now to create another duchy or three? As I see it, we need:

Duchy of the Welsh March. This was a mid to late Mideival earldom ... raising it to duchy would allow the encompasing of Herefordshire, Shrewsbury, Chester, and possibly Gwent and better reflect the inherit influence of the Marcher lords.

Duchy of the Scottish March: Lotherin

Duchy of the Breton March: Nantes and Rennes, the histoic march there. This would mean rasing Brittany up to kingdom level, which is more appropriate considering it was de jure an independent kingdom (though titled as a duchy) until the 15th century. Raising Brittany to Kingdom level, giving him two duchies of Duchy of Brittany and Duchy of the Breton Marche, would allow the player of Brittany more flexability as would be warrented.

Last edited:
I'd have to go over the tags to see if a duchy level tag is free somewhere.

Unused tags are:
ELRI, EUPH, MADA, PETR, ALEP, MURO, FARO, USEZ, MINS, ABKH, POLV, BUKH, ATRI

I think these are all duchy level, but I'd have to test these in-game to be certain (use a spawn event and see what level they end up as).

HREE, GPOL, LPOL, TREB -- free king level tags.

I'm thinking of using TREB in 1337 (if I ever fix the damn thing), but we can use one of the other three for a Breton kingdom.
It would be nonrecreatable, like Navarra, though.

As for Cornwall province -- for most of the CK timeframe the province was held by the English, so I think it should stay in ENGLand. I've considered adding it to WALEs, but then realistically so should the rest of the duchy.

Last edited:
Jerusalem Optional:

Since you added Baldwin III of Jerusalem, prehaps you can add his mother Queen Melisende (grandmother of Queen Sibylla) and his grandfather (her father), the founder of the hereditary line of kings of Jerusalem? I added them to my own scenario. You will need to be sure that both Baldwin III and his brother Almeric I are added as her sons to properly connect the dynasty to its founder, Baldwin II.

The dynasty surname should be de Bourq, or de la Bourq, i have also seen it as du Bourg

Code:
}
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 7027401855 }
	name = "Melisende le Rein"
	gender = female
	dynasty = { type = 12 id =702740175 }
	father = { type = 10 id = 7027401779 }
	country = JERU
	religion = catholic
	culture = Latin
	birthdate = { year = 1105 month = january day = 1 }
	deathdate = { year = 1161 month = september day = 9 }
	dna = "87939187498296"
	attributes = {
		martial = 5
		diplomacy = 8
		intrigue = 7
		stewardship = 7
		health = 8
		fertility = 8
	}
	traits = {
		energetic = yes
		just = yes
		proud = yes
		wise = yes
		valorous = yes
	}
}
character = {
	id = { type = 10 id = 7027401779 }
	name = "Baudouin II"
	gender = male
	dynasty = { type = 12 id =702740175 }
	country = JERU
	religion = catholic
	culture = Latin
	birthdate = { year = 1075 month = october day = 14 }
	deathdate = { year = 1131 month = september day = 9 }
	dna = "07250701023982"
	attributes = {2
		martial = 7
		diplomacy = 6
		intrigue = 4
		stewardship = 6
		health = 8
		fertility = 6
	}
	traits = {
		energetic = yes
		just = yes
		proud = yes
		sceptical = yes
		valorous = yes
		wise = yes
		brilliant_strategist = yes
	}
}

Last edited:
Isn't their dynasty more properly de Rethel?

De Bourg is the surname of the much later counts of Rethel, a cadet branch of pre-Valois Burgundy. It already exists as dynasty #95, used in the 1337 scenario.

//Edit: Ignore the above. He was indeed called de Bourcq, after a small county he held in the Ardennes called "Bourcq".

1187 is getting more and more complete :)

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
Isn't their dynasty more properly de Rethel?

De Bourg is the surname of the much later counts of Rethel, a cadet branch of pre-Valois Burgundy. It already exists as dynasty #95, used in the 1337 scenario.

//Edit: characters implemented as "de Rethel". 1187 is getting more and more complete :)

I think de Bourcq would be more correct, as wikipedia has him known as de Bourcq, du Bourg, and de la Bourcq Baldwin II in English Wikipedia, Balwin II in French Wikipedia.

Undeniably they are cadet branches of de Renthel. I am happy with any, though. I personally like all of the names... though de la Bourcq best. lol.

I can't figure out where Rethel is supposed to be on the CK map... frustrating. Could be a nice touch to add Baldvin's father, brother and heirs in the proper province.

Should be either Hainaut or Reims if I read the map right.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
I can't figure out where Rethel is supposed to be on the CK map... frustrating. Could be a nice touch to add Baldvin's father, brother and heirs in the proper province.

Should be either Hainaut or Reims if I read the map right.

I think it is closer to Reims, but will need to look again. I cant now, as I must be off to hospital! I still am researching for Breton folks to add to the 14th century, most info is in French, so traditional google is only picking up articals in English... and there is almost none.