• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
File has been uploaded, see first post or download thread for full changelog.

1066 had several errors, including two crashers: I had to completely remove the generic courtiers from Ryazan, and I had a duplicate claim ID. You have no idea how long this took to find...
I also managed to miss a tag change in Galicia at first.

I forgot to include the 'Turkish culture event' from the changelog. Will go in (much) later today, I'll provide a separate update-download for it to avoid having to redownload the full 1MB.

//Also somehow missed Hassan-i Sabbah.
Ah well, that makes this just another too early release... I just hope those are the only two things I really forgot.
I had to rebuild DVIPv9 almost from scratch on top of DVIPv8 to find the error(s) I had overlooked, so inevitably I forgot these two items. Apologies.

Last edited:
Just the ones I bothered to document. Minor changes to characters (such as removed deathdates beyond game start, gold/prestige tweaks, DNA), and all the individual changes belonging to a major change (such as the massive overhaul of Scotland and its lords) are not individually documented.

I haven't included your Automated Courtier Education Events yet... I get error messages when I include them. I'll have to get back to that in your thread later today.

I finally updated the first post with a better description of the mod, and a thanks list.
There is also a combined changelog up now. If you just want the last changelog, go to the download thread. Full incremential changelogs will remain in the readme file.

jordarkelf said:
A female inheritance addon mod will also go up later if I can get around to it.

With the add-on, can you describe that? Will we get the error message I mentioned in the Damsels Not In Distress forum?

Also, will you be alowing female inheritance only on the kingship level? Or also the ducal and county level?

I and others are excited about this :rofl:

I can't do anything about the errors (that's why I didn't include it in the main pack). The addon will be the scenario file(s) with the invalid (female succession) laws set for the right countries -- a matter of replacing the file and playing. Both a DVIP and MK version will have to be done.

Realms that will get female inheritance at 1187 scenario start:

Jerusalem: JERU
Antiocha: ANTI
Castille: CAST
Léon: LEON
Navarra: NAVA

Other realms, like ENGLand, BRITtany, SCOTland and TOULouse have had female rulers as well, but in those cases it was usually an exceptional case. In the Crusader Realms and Iberia it was the norm on the other hand -- albeit it should be "salic", not "semi-salic".

To use the right terms, the law will be agnatic-cognatic succession ("semi-salic" with males inheriting before equal females), and there's no way to do a real cognatic succession ("salic" with males inheriting first) or even lineal (or full cognatic) succession ("salic" with first born inheriting regardless of gender).

Cognatic succession should be the law in place in almost all of Europe for all three scenarios, except France and other places with male-only "salic" (agnatic primogeniture) laws. But this would have to be coded in somehow, so it's future music.

So don't expect too much of the addon.

/nod. I understand your reasoning there. Would you provide a linky to the Damsels Not In Distress thread for those that may wish to further edit a saved game to add an additional female succession within their own game?

Also, I would implore you to add Brittany and Aquitaine to the list, those held the most female inheritance within the 12th century.

Hawise of Brittany
Bertha of Brittany
Constance of Brittany
Alys of Brittany all where 'technically' hereditary duchesses.

Eleanor of Aquitaine also inherited Aquitainia under this law.

I have another proposal regarding Aquitainia as well, see next post.

Last edited:
Aquitaine correction for 1187

I feel that we should make Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine as hereditary Duchess of Aquitaine in 1187. Make her son and heir Richard the Lion Heart as Duke of Gascony.

The reasoning is this: Technically in 1187 Eleanor was imprissioned by Henry II FitzEmpress for earlier leading her sons to rebel against him. However, there is no way to represent her imprissionment.

In reality, Eleanor inherited Aquitainia by hereditary and civil right. When her marriage to the King of France was annuled, she took Aquitainia with her. All her acts are signed as Duchess. When she married Henry II FitzEmpress the duchy remained hers and seperate from the administration of England, Anjou, and Normandy.

Her capital, and that of her forefathers of the past 100 years, was Poitou. In Poitou she suported the arts and sciences, patronized troubadors and minstrals. Here she cultivated Courtly Love lititary traditions.

She never surrendered her inheritance, and instead made her son Richard as her govenor in Aquitainia, and he did use the title of Duke of Aquitainia as her heir and administrator. This was simular to other heirs. When her son Richard I the Lion Hearted did become king, Eleanor went forwith back to her homeland of Aquitainia and ruled from Poitiou all of her sons realms when he went on Crusade.

For Crusader Kings, the AI Henry II FitzEmpress always makes Eleanor as countess of some wierd realm. If we can no mimic her imprisionment for the year 1187, I recommend she be made Duchess of the Aquitaine and her son and heir Richard I the Lion Hearted made Duke of Gascony.

Last edited:
Characters to add 1337

Aberffraw dynasty tag: 101920

Owain Lawgoch Aberffraw (Owain of the Red Hand) Born around 1330, Owain Lawgoch represented the senior claim of the Principality of Wales (here represented by the kingship of Wales). Even though he is about seven years of age, in anticipation of his possible future career, he should be in the French kings court and have a martial upbrining, and be of a high martial rankings.

He should have a claim on the Duchy of Gwynedd, county of Gwynedd and Perf., and county of Powys. And kingdom of Wales if it is created. (It may be worth creating for the inheritance issue. England did conqure the Principality of Wales in 1284, the principality here represented by the kingship title)

Historically, Owain commanded a Free Company mostly of Welshmen, in the service of the French King. Prehaps some French player would be so benelovent to assist Owain in his inheritance.

From Wikipedia:

Military career
The year in which Owain entered the service of the king of France is uncertain. Froissart claims that he fought on the French side at the Battle of Poitiers, but there is no evidence to support this. He was certainly in the service of the French as leader of a Free Company when the period of truce between France and England following the Treaty of Brétigny ended and hostilities resumed in 1369.

Owain's company consisted largely of Welshmen. The second in command of this company was Ieuan Wyn, known to the French as le Poursuivant d'Amour, a descendant of Ednyfed Fychan, Seneschal of Gwynedd under Owain's ancestors. While in French service Owain had good relations with Bertrand du Guesclin and others and gained the support of Charles V of France.

He made his first attempt to claim his inheritance in late 1369. A fleet was prepared in Harfleur at King Charles' expense to invade Wales under Owain's command and set sail just before Christmas. However storms forced it to return to port after a few days. Owain served with Bertrand du Guesclin in Maine and Anjou in 1370 and in 1371 he and his company were in the service of the town of Metz.

In May 1372 in Paris, Owain announced that he intended to claim the throne of Wales. He set sail from Harfleur with money borrowed from Charles V. Owain first attacked the island of Guernsey, and was still there when a message arrived from Charles ordering him to abandon the expedition in order to go to Castile to seek ships to attack La Rochelle. Owain defeated an English and Gascon force at Soubise later that year, capturing Sir Thomas Percy and Jean de Grailly, the Captal de Buch. Another invasion of Wales was planned in 1373 but had to be abandoned when John of Gaunt launched an offensive. In 1374 he fought at Mirebau and at Saintonge. In 1375 Owain was employed by Enguerrand de Coucy to help win Enguerrand's share of the Hapsburg lands due to him as nephew of the former Duke of Austria. However they were defeated by the forces of Berne and had to abandon the expedition.

In 1377 there were reports that Owain was planning another expedition, this time with help from Castile. The alarmed English government sent a spy, the Scot Jon Lamb, to assassinate Owain, who had been given the task of besieging Mortagne sur Mer in Poitou. Lamb gained Owain's confidence and became his chamberlain, which gave him the opportunity to stab Owain to death in July, 1378. The Issue Roll of the Exchequer dated 4 December 1378 records "To John Lamb, an esquire from Scotland, because he lately killed Owynn de Gales, a rebel and enemy of the King in France ... £20". Owain was buried in the church of Saint-Léger and Ieuan Wyn took over the command of his company.

After the assassination of Owain Lawgoch the remaining heirs of the House of Gwynedd kept a low profile until John Wynn, 1st Baronet asserted his pedigree in the 17th Century. No other person would proclaim themselves Prince of Wales until Owain Glyndŵr ("Owain IV") in 1400, who was not descended from the House of Gwynedd, but from the rulers of Powys.

Owain's father Thomas ap Rhodri Aberffraw
b. 1300, in the court of Gloucester where he made his primary residence. He made no attempt to claim his inheritance.

Rhodri ap Gruffudd Aberffraw, younger brother of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in the 1187 secenario. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd will need to be created for this scenario to represent the linkage.
(bc. 1230 - c. 1315)

More to come... but these can wait until next patch if you wish.

Last edited:
jordarkelf said:
Just the ones I bothered to document. Minor changes to characters (such as removed deathdates beyond game start, gold/prestige tweaks, DNA), and all the individual changes belonging to a major change (such as the massive overhaul of Scotland and its lords) are not individually documented.

I haven't included your Automated Courtier Education Events yet... I get error messages when I include them. I'll have to get back to that in your thread later today.
What about the change to event 5598 and the change to shia population?

Yea post in the thread because i haven't been getting any errors.

Darn, forgot that one in the changelog!
Yes, the mongol event in question was removed.
Also, the heretic trait can now only be set by event to christians.

Shia population -- I haven't touched sunni/shia any further than I already had. I need to do better research on how far shia had progressed in the muslim world, first. As for the berbers -- all the tribed up to and including the Zirids were shia, but the Zirids converted to sunni before 1066. That is why the Fatimids sent the Benny Hill and Cyrenaica after them.

Drachenfire said:
Aquitaine correction for 1187

I feel that we should make Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine as hereditary Duchess of Aquitaine in 1187. Make her son and heir Richard the Lion Heart as Duke of Gascony.

The reasoning is this: Technically in 1187 Eleanor was imprissioned by Henry II FitzEmpress for earlier leading her sons to rebel against him. However, there is no way to represent her imprissionment.

In reality, Eleanor inherited Aquitainia by hereditary and civil right. When her marriage to the King of France was annuled, she took Aquitainia with her. All her acts are signed as Duchess. When she married Henry II FitzEmpress the duchy remained hers and seperate from the administration of England, Anjou, and Normandy.

Her capital, and that of her forefathers of the past 100 years, was Poitou. In Poitou she suported the arts and sciences, patronized troubadors and minstrals. Here she cultivated Courtly Love lititary traditions.

She never surrendered her inheritance, and instead made her son Richard as her govenor in Aquitainia, and he did use the title of Duke of Aquitainia as her heir and administrator. This was simular to other heirs. When her son Richard I the Lion Hearted did become king, Eleanor went forwith back to her homeland of Aquitainia and ruled from Poitiou all of her sons realms when he went on Crusade.

For Crusader Kings, the AI Henry II FitzEmpress always makes Eleanor as countess of some wierd realm. If we can no mimic her imprisionment for the year 1187, I recommend she be made Duchess of the Aquitaine and her son and heir Richard I the Lion Hearted made Duke of Gascony.

In addition to this, Richard should be friends with Phillip II Augustas of France, to represent their very close friendship.

Additionally, do we have a gay trait? If we do, Richard the Lion Hearted should have that trait as well. If we dont, can we add that?