• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
filipe_fonseca said:
Why don't you just declare independence when the opportunity arises? You can always have strong allies.

Because I don't want to play "independent", I've never played independent and I don't intend to start now. ;) I like being under the King, let him get in all the trouble, I'll just be the one to get him out of it like we did Germany in my old vanilla game. ;) I like marching to the AI's wars not making my own. It's more fun that way and more challenging. ;)

Mtopbas said:
Hi,

You are right some of them may sound funny today.
But hundreds of people were burned on stakes in Europe in middle ages as witches and they believed world were round and anyship who went to edge will fall to the absy or will be attacked by sea monsters
Patron saint of England; St George is known for slaying dragons.

I belive there are only a couple of suggestions there involving dragons and a sea monster. Do I believe they are real no, but I believe that rumors of a dragon or sea monster might have scared a good number of people in 1100s

Still these are mare suggestions; the real idea is giving the ability to the player to send his courtiers to different adventires/tasks in his real thus enabling them to gain expertise and prestige.

There are already events for your the first three (black magic, unjust taxes, bandits)

Mtopbas said:
Hi,

You are right some of them may sound funny today.
But hundreds of people were burned on stakes in Europe in middle ages as witches and they believed world were round and anyship who went to edge will fall to the absy or will be attacked by sea monsters
Patron saint of England; St George is known for slaying dragons.

I belive there are only a couple of suggestions there involving dragons and a sea monster. Do I believe they are real no, but I believe that rumors of a dragon or sea monster might have scared a good number of people in 1100s

Still these are mare suggestions; the real idea is giving the ability to the player to send his courtiers to different adventires/tasks in his real thus enabling them to gain expertise and prestige.

Yes, they believed in dragons and sea monsters. But I don't think a single Count ever had to pay for the destruction of an actual dragon attack, because they simply weren't there. These things work as legends, much like today's aliens. There are accounts, but they always revolve around distant times, people or realms.

filipe_fonseca said:
Yes, they believed in dragons and sea monsters. But I don't think a single Count ever had to pay for the destruction of an actual dragon attack, because they simply weren't there. These things work as legends, much like today's aliens. There are accounts, but they always revolve around distant times, people or realms.
Well, the U.S. government is funding some SETI programs, and no telling what other kinds of programs such as sex bombs, so why not have an actual in-game effect? No telling how many shysters made a profit off of a ruler's fears of non-existent threats.

It's just a random thought among a sea of many.

Well, for starters educated people in the Middle Ages didn't think the world was flat. Also, witchcraft in the CK era officially didn't exist according to canon law until the 15th century (being classified as a pagan superstition in the 8th century). Indeed if you decided to dabble with the dark side (or be suspected of it) you were more likely to be accused of heresy in this era. Though there were still witch hunts and so on to think it was a big issue is to confuse things with a slightly later time.

Talking of heretics I had an event asking me if I wanted to become one - are there any advantages to this or is it just a suicide option? Also can heretical provinces be targeted in crusades?

Have fun
Finn

FinnN said:
Talking of heretics I had an event asking me if I wanted to become one - are there any advantages to this or is it just a suicide option? Also can heretical provinces be targeted in crusades?

Have fun
Finn

It is a suicide option

Heretical provinces won't become crusade-targets, there are only a limited number of crusade-targets like Rome, Jerusalem, Antioch, Byzantium, Tunis, Burgos, Palermo and Alexandria

Last Post

First of all my intention was not to convert Deus Vult into Dungeons and Dragons and they were mere examples for different tasks liege lord can assign to his/her courtiers and effect their character and prestige development and make the game more fun, rather than be in the mercy of some random events. I assume even the name of the game is Crusader Kings, actual crusading takes only a fraction of the game for most of the players

Second of all it was but only one of the suggestions; I do not want to repeat myself but feels that somehow they got lost behind the more fancy ones.
In case of Realm Duress event all vassals should declare themselves either for their rightful liege or the new pretender as soon the rebellious vassal declare independence and the game fires the Realm Duress event, thus saving the liege from the prestige and loyalty loss that follows subjugating the rebellion.
Existing courtiers should be hired as tutors for the royal offspring, increasing their administrative and military skills, this proving able administrative and military leaders that a large and wealth kingdom needs
There must be an option to bribe/financially support and motivate a rebellious vassal of a Rival character to declare independence and trigger realm in duress event
Liege Lords should have the options such as jousting tournaments, hiring minstrels, holding a carnival/fair or constructing a great cathedral to increase the stability of their realm and loyalty of their subjects. Each option should have different cost, effect and duration.
A liege lord should have the option to offer a position in his court to an able courtier from another realm in return for gold or hand of a lovely maiden. The existing liege of the courtier will have the right to object or approve the offer.
If he objects than courtier can still depart but it will depend on a couple of factors such as countries relations, stability of the realm...but he does relations between two countries will deteriorate. If the existing ruler is a friend, friendship will be lost if not a new rival might be gained.

ulmont said:
Can we get a sticky for this thread, since it's pretty much the only DV manual?
Agreed. It is a chore to look for this thread for newcomers/interested parties.

ulmont said:
If I'm interested in a "DV Overview" or "DV Manual," I'm not going to go looking for it in a "Johan Quote Depository" thread, no.

What "Johan Quote Depository" thread? Can't find one with that name anywhere :p

And I was getting ready to say, "Do we really need that any more?" :D