• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Light CSA

Marshal of the Confederacy
61 Badges
Sep 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello everyone,
I just got Victoria and Revolutions mainly because of a desire to do a game as the CSA. This AAR is being done with the Southern Revolutions mod. Also, I made sure that I had secured independence before starting this AAR, so the entry on the war will be a bit sketchy and less detailed.

Chapter 1. Freedom of the South

Richmond, VA

Albert Sidney Johnson walked into President Jefferson Davis's office. Davis had summoned him on short notice and he was still wandering what the occasion was.

"Ah, Mr. Johnson, please sit down," Davis said pointing Johnson towards a chair. "I have an interesting proposal for you, and I do hope you won't turn it down," Davis continued, "I would like you to assume command of all Confederate armies in Virginia. The Confederacy needs strong, smart leaders such as yourself, and that has led me to conclude that you are the man to lead the Confederacy to victory."

"Mr. President, this is an quite an honor to be asked to command these armies of South. I will accept your request to command the Confederate forces in Virginia, and God willing, we shall defeat the Yankees," Johnson replied.

"Excellent! I'm glad that you have decided to take the appointment. All the proper information and paperwork is with my secretary, and you will be able to assume command at once." With that, Davis ended the meeting and Johnson left to assume command.

Johnson's Headquarters, a few days later

Johnson stood in front of a large map of Virginia with many of his staff officers around the room.

"The Federal forces will soon be advancing into Virginia through the Allengheny Mountains and from Washington, DC. We can't hope to defeat all these seperately, so I am ordering all forces to concentrate around Fredericksburg. From there, we will fight off Union incursions."

The staff officers agreed with the assessment, and soon Confederate forces were packing up camp and heading for Fredericksburg.

The Western Theater

General Robert E. Lee had joined the Confederate Army, hoping for an appointment in Virginia, but his actual appointment came as a major surprise. A command in Tennessee? There seemed no reason, but Davis had said that he wanted a good commander out west, and Lee felt that he would do what he had to for the Confederacy.

Davis had given him the strategic goal of capturing Kentucky and Missouri, with it up to Lee's discretion which to take first. Lee eventually decided to attack Kentucky. He would gather his disparate forces scattered across Tennessee and Southern Missouri in Bowling Green.

The Kentucky Campaign

The several Confederate forces were soon gathered in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green was fully occupied within a few weeks. Lee then attacked Louisville, with the hope of getting Kentucky to secede.

Even with large swathes of Kentucky captured, the state government did not secede. Federal forces began to close in upon Lee's army, and Lee made the decision to withdraw into Missouri.

Onto Missouri

Lee's campaign in Missouri was much more successful. The small Union troops in the area were routed quickly, and Confederate forces began to occupy the state.

The Federals soon launched a major counterattack in southern Missouri, against the lone Missouri State Guard. While Confederate forces desperately held off Union troops, Lee brought the main Confederate army forward to hit the Federals on the flank. The manuever was successful, and the Federal counterattack was destroyed.

The Union launched one more attack in Kansas City against Lee himself, but this too was routed, and Lee kept Missouri secure for the rest of the war.

The War in Virginia

In Virginia, as General Johnson withdrew his forces towards central Virginia, Union forces occupied Staunton, Lynchburg, and Manassas. Johnson's army soon began recieving more reserves and recruits.

As the last of the main reserve forces joined Johnson's army, he felt it was time to attack. Staunton had been Union occupied for far to long, so Johnson concentrated his army of over 100,000 men onto the Union garrison of around 2 divisions.

Even with overwhelming numbers, the rough and hilly terrain of the area gave the Union defenders large advantages. The campaign lasted many weeks, but Johnson's men prevailed with large casaulties. However, the massive Confederate committment to Staunton allowed Union troops to capture Richmond. General Johnson led the bulk of the of the Confederate forces, some 60,000 men, and he hit the small Union force hard.

Even though that attack was defeated, the period after the end of the Staunton campagin was one of heavy fighting around Norfolk and Richmond. Union troops beat off an attack on Lynchburg by the Johnson's main force, and Union forces occupied Norfolk during the battle. Johnson's Army then marched back to Norfolk and defeated the Union troops occupying that territory.

However, the front stabilized when the Confederate Congress passed the Conscription Act. These extra forces were soon guarding Norfolk and Richmond, while reinforcing Lee and Johnson's armies. The passing of this act decisively helped the Confederates and helped turn the tide of the war.

The decision was made to move on Washington. Over 150,000 men massed in Fredericksburg, preparing to hit the scant Union troops defending Manassas. Without significant natural obstacles to favor the defender, the Confederate Army smashed Union lines. The army then moved on Washington, brushing aside the Union armies and then Philidelphia was taken.

A few weeks later, President Lincoln of the USA sued for peace. The negotiations gave the CSA Kentucky and Arizona-New Mexico, in addition to the main areas. Missouri was returned to the US though. So ended the Confederate War of Independence.

Last edited:
The Confederacy upon its independence in October of 1862:

Screenshot1.png

Last edited:
Chapter 2. From Independence to the Second Presidential Election

JeffersonDavis.png

The last few years of President Davis's term were relatively uneventful. One of the first major actions upon peace was the demobilization and disbandment of most of the army. During the war, a significant debt had been run up, and it was imperative to balance the budget and pay off the debts.

A few months after peace, the budget had been balanced, and the government was running a small surplus.

Many in the Confederacy still wanted to expand the borders of the CSA, which had led to Davis sending a Texas cavalry unit to Chihuahua and Sonora to discuss the policy of annexing those two territories. This mission eventually brought few in the post-war period, with the two territories being purchased for around 15,000,000 pounds, or 20,000 pounds in game terms. This of course put the Confederacy heavily in debt again.

The national flag was also changed twice during Davis's tenure. In 1863, the flag was changed to a white border with the Confederate Battle Flag in the canton. This flag was known as the Stainless Banner:

Screenshot2.png

The second change occured in 1865, when several military officers reported that the Stainless Banner could cause confusion on the battle field, looking like a white flag at times. This led to a red stripe being added to the end of the flag:

Bloodstainedbannerisadopted.png

The mobilization pool was steadily increased throughout Davis's term. While some opposition politicians brought up the increasing cost it incurred and the risk of running a deficit, Davis stressed that the increased mobilization pool was essential to counteracting the disbandment of most of the regular army, and that the Confederacy had to be able to deploy significant amounts of men when war came. Davis and the Democratic Party one the debate, and the mobilization pool was increased to over 20 divisions during Davis's term.

These successes did not help him through the election though, and the public, dissatisfied with his domestic reform, put the Whigs in office on Election Day on January 5, 1867.

Next Chapter: President Robert E. Lee

You've made an excellent start; I eagerly await your next update.

Also, allow me to welcome you to the forums! :)

Ok, after getting crushed twice by the North in two seperate attempts to win their attack against me, I decided to reload the game and avoid the events that led me to the war. So here is the next chapter:

Chapter 3. The Presidency of Robert E. Lee

RobertE.Lee.png

Lee was elected president on January 5, 1867. While technically running on the Whig ticket, Lee effectively ran a nonpartisan campaign. His widespread popularity in the South stemming from his successful campaigning in the West almost assured him victory.

Lee's plan for the army was to maintain a strong regular force to deter Yankee aggression, while also building up a strong reserve. However, the Confederate Congress, fearing that a large army could be the beginning of the end of the fairly large states rights, blocked most attempts to maintain a large standing army. The reserve army plan was very successful though, and Lee's government built the reserve pool up to 36 divisions.

The Navy was not subject to the same suspiscions that the army was subject to though. This allowed Stephen Mallory, a holdover from the Davis cabinet, to institute large naval expansion programs. Many expansionist delegates in the Confederate Congress felt that the navy was a good projection tool, and many felt that the navy could be a focal point for Southern patriotism. Over the course of the Lee years, the navy was expanded to some 11 Ironclad battleships and a large amount of transport flotillas.

On the foreign policy front, Lee attempted build strong relations with the British Empire. Many hoped that a British-Confederate Alliance could be formed to strengthen the defenses of the Confederacy. Even with a large amount of British goodwill towards the Confederacy (+200 relations) several Confederate alliance overtures were rebuffed. (OOC: Any suggestions and/or help on how to get an alliance with Britain?)

Relations with Spain were strained though. Many civilian groups in the Confederacy had shown public support for the Cuban rebels, and several shipping companies were rumored to be running guns to the Cubans. This culminated in the Virginius Incident in which a Spanish warship boarded and executed most of the crew of the Confederate steamer Virginius:

VirginiusIncident.png

Lee sought to avoid a war, and even with heavy public pressure to help the Cuban rebels, Lee was satisfied with a payment of indemnities and an apology.

Robert E. Lee died before he finished his term though. He died of natural causes in his sleep on October 13, 1870. His death led to a national day of mourning across the country. Many people wore black in towns across the South and all flags were flown at half mast.

The funeral was held in Richmond 2 weeks later. Columns of gray-clad troops guarded Lee's casket as it was taken down the streets of Richmond pasts crowds of mourners towards its final resting place at a planned memorial on Church Hill in Richmond. Several heads of states from many nations were present, but the US President was notably absent.

1870 also saw the death of the other major Confederate leader in the war of independence, A.S. Johnson:

ASJohnsonDies.png

His funeral, also held in Richmond, was almost on the scale of Lee's, but not quite that large. Johnson was given a resting place in Lee's masoleum, signifying his honored place in the South's pantheon of heroes.

Lee's Vice President was in office for a year before the next election was held. Nothing notable occured during his presidency except for an offer to help France against Prussia in 1871, which was rejected.

The Whigs won reelection again in 1871. The Next chapter will describe the presidency of the next Whig president.

Very skillful diplomacy.

On the subject of the British alliance, how high is your Badboy? High badboy means trouble with diplomacy

Also, what is your military score? I believe higher usually helps.

Taybaxter said:
Very skillful diplomacy.

On the subject of the British alliance, how high is your Badboy? High badboy means trouble with diplomacy

Also, what is your military score? I believe higher usually helps.

Actually, I was able to get a defensive pact as soon as I emancipated the slaves, which will be in the next chapter.

Sweet action, love CSA aar's (see signature :D). Very good, though I do wish we could have seen a bit more of the war.

Comment on Whigs: I don't know why, but in my game's the Whig's either completely dominate the political field, or the Democrates do, never a mix of both. My CSA in ~To Live and Die in Dixie~ was Whig for maby one term and then strait Democrat *cheers*. Anywho, good luck, hope you do decide to take Cuba later on, and possibly the Phillipines.

Volga said:
Sweet action, love CSA aar's (see signature :D). Very good, though I do wish we could have seen a bit more of the war.

Comment on Whigs: I don't know why, but in my game's the Whig's either completely dominate the political field, or the Democrates do, never a mix of both. My CSA in ~To Live and Die in Dixie~ was Whig for maby one term and then strait Democrat *cheers*. Anywho, good luck, hope you do decide to take Cuba later on, and possibly the Phillipines.

I did read your AAR, I loved it, it inspired me to write this one. On my several attempts to win the second war, I tried your strategy of landing in New England, but I didn't execute it correctly, so I gave up on that path in my AAR.

Politically wise, I am getting the Whigs everytime, which is annoying because of their anti-war polices. I'm limited to 22 reserve divisions, which is a bit scary IMO.

I do plan to go to war with Spain once the CSS Arkansas event comes along, but will the culmination of that event chain leading to war with Spain possibly trigger a second war with the USA because I haven't fought a second war with them yet?

Navigating between Scylla and Charybdis is never easy, but doing well so far.

Light CSA said:
I did read your AAR, I loved it, it inspired me to write this one. On my several attempts to win the second war, I tried your strategy of landing in New England, but I didn't execute it correctly, so I gave up on that path in my AAR.

Politically wise, I am getting the Whigs everytime, which is annoying because of their anti-war polices. I'm limited to 22 reserve divisions, which is a bit scary IMO.

I do plan to go to war with Spain once the CSS Arkansas event comes along, but will the culmination of that event chain leading to war with Spain possibly trigger a second war with the USA because I haven't fought a second war with them yet?

Why thank you. My New England Campain for the second war was really a WHOLE lot of luck, had the Brit's not interviened on my behalf, reinforced me in New England I wouldn't have had a shot. It was gamble, but it worked, though after awhile I started to become cornered and it got into a stale mate.

As for Spain, by the time the events come along for Arkansas I think the U.S. will mind its own buisness, but I would try to get the Democrats in office or somthing so you can have a better military. I Can deffinatly say I owe alot to their pro-war attitude.

Here's the next chapter. It's going to be a bit short considering not much happened during this presidential term, but whatever.

Chapter 4. A Term of Peace and Tranquility

PresidentLongstreet.png

The Whig's won the election again after Lee's Vice President finished out Lee's term. Running mainly a platform of war heroes led by General James Longstreet, there was little doubt that the Whigs would lose. However, no one expected some of the changes that would occur under Longstreet's presidency.

Longstreet did not come into office with much of an agenda. Capitalists were building railroads across the nation and war seemed far away. It looked like the president would not have to do much of anything, as the Confederacy was in good times.

Longstreet soon developed a more ambitious outlook though. One year into his office, he thrust an Emancipation Act upon the Confederate Congress. Longstreet's fierce presentation of the act and the solid Whig majority in Congress led to its passage before much deliberation occured.

Emancipation.png

When terms of the actual act got out, many rich slave owners were furious. Nothing in the Act stipulated any form of reimbursement. The average Confederate citizen did not take too much notice though considering few owned slaves.

The freedom of the slaves did not bring equality though. State governments soon began to pass segregation Jim Crow laws and Longstreet was powerless to stop their passage.

On the international scene, the Emancipation was a great help to Confederate diplomats. Soon after its passage, a Defensive Pact was signed with the British Empire, and relations surged with many great powers.

The Emancipation Act also served to considerably shake up the politcal scene. All major parties declared emergency conventions, which led to a reorganized and reformed leadership all around. The new Whig leadership was fiercly anti-military though, and soon the Confederate Congress was forcing Longstreet to downsize the mobilization pool, something that angered Longstreet greatly.

Fortunately, the navy was not affected to much by the shakeup, and several more ironclad battleships were built. New naval leadership was instituted with several admirals gaining commands and a Pacific Fleet was formed.

The Pacific Fleet undertook a major show of force around Asia showing the Confederate flag in Hong Kong, Polynesia, and Hainan. Here is an image of the flagship of the fleet, the CSS Tuscoloosa, based off of the CSS Stonewall:

ConfederateAsiaticSquadron.jpg

In the scientific field, great turmoil was experienced. Several prominent Confederate scientists died within a short period of time and several different academic establishments were formed and destroyed within a few weeks. The Confederate government suffered a massive prestige loss abroad, but the scientific establishment evetually stabilized around Naval-Industrial.

Longstreet's term finally ended on July 5, 1876, when the officials of the next election came into office. The Whig Party won again, but the Democrats were slowly nibbling at their majority.

OOC: I'm not exactly sure who the next president should be. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Volga said:
Why thank you. My New England Campain for the second war was really a WHOLE lot of luck, had the Brit's not interviened on my behalf, reinforced me in New England I wouldn't have had a shot. It was gamble, but it worked, though after awhile I started to become cornered and it got into a stale mate.

As for Spain, by the time the events come along for Arkansas I think the U.S. will mind its own buisness, but I would try to get the Democrats in office or somthing so you can have a better military. I Can deffinatly say I owe alot to their pro-war attitude.

I am attempting to improve my relations with the US, but I'm not doing it consistently, so I'm still negative relations with them.

Mm, do you mean 1877 for the end of Longstreet's term?

The Emancipation Act is an interesting development. Call me a skeptic, but I can't help wondering how much the status of African-Americans will actually improve in the coming years. Unless a strong and liberal person takes the presidency, things might remain horrible for them.