• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Discomb: Rarr! :mad:

General Jac: I was aiming for something slightly absurd, so I think it turned out pretty well. And yes, now to war! :p

Edzako: We shall see :D

Second comment day!

so you think southern ireland, an independant nation, should be absorbed into the african union, why exactly?

Delex: Northern Ireland is an overseas territory in the game. Ireland is not. Equatorial Africa is made up of overseas territories. Therefore Northern Ireland is part of Equatorial Africa, but Ireland is not.

Update coming up!

STAVKA, Moscow
April 1, 1942

STAVKA was awash in chaos as the war began and operations commenced immediately. No branch of STAVKA resembled a scuffed anthill more than its air branch, overseen by Air Marshal Alexander Novikov. He was striding around busily, receiving reports, skimming them, tossing them aside and giving orders all at once. His staff was not blooded, never having organized an actual air mission of any sort before, much less one on a scale that it now faced. It was, however, exceedingly enthusiastic and eager to prove itself. It needed to, Novikov was grimly aware, or the air force would be shattered. At that moment, he had four separate reports in hand, four reports on five different actions that were occurring across the full three thousand kilometers of front between the Soviet Union and its enemies.

The first report was a case of close air support, in northern Romania—Beltsy. Air General Zhigarev was in overall command of four sturmovik squadrons supporting a push by the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian Fronts into the area. The going was slowly, however. There were reported cases of frost obstructing maneuver and, though gravely outnumbered, the Germans were better organized and better led. Zhigarev was using his air assets to aid in flushing the Germans out of their defenses and push them out into the open where they could be smashed by the Soviets’ greater weight of firepower. Novikov frowned, but nodded in approval. He tossed away that report, merely sending a man to a radio to urge Zhigarev on to greater efforts in that regard.

081-01-CombatinBeltsy.png

Fighting in Beltsy, along with Zhigarev’s close air support.

Novikov stared at the next report, shifting his mental map of the front line up to Lithuania. There were two actions going on in that region. In the first, Lieutenant General Smuschkevich was commanding an overall number of six sturmovik squadrons by virtue of his seniority against Anglo-German units in Kaunas. The latter saw Major General Yakovlev with two sturmovik squadrons attempting the same mission in Memel, against similar opposition. Neither action was in support of ground operations yet and as a result the full firepower of four corps fell upon the four sturmovik in the air, with consequential heavy casualties. Reports made mention of these casualties already, which Novikov did not take as a good sign. Tossing aside that report, he barked an order for a transmission to be made to the Baltic Fronts to encourage them to attack quicker, before all his warplanes were shot out of the air.

081-02-BombinginLithuania.png

Two air actions in Lithuania: Kaunas and Memel.

Novikov then came to a report from the central Polish region, from the two sturmovik squadrons over Warsaw. These two squadrons were under the nominal command of Novikov himself, but in reality they were commanded by his deputy. Nevertheless, they were bombing a major Anglo-German concentration in Warsaw, which totaled twelve divisions of infantry. Novikov’s deputy was also already mentioning heavy casualties, citing reports that came to him of over 25% losses already. Novikov bit his lip sharply, nearly drawing blood. There were no units nearby to attack Warsaw, and the city was one of Germany’s primary airbases. Novikov was concerned about the safety of his squadrons, but did not order a halt to the bombing as he tossed that third report aside.

081-03-BombinginWarsaw.png

Sturmovik squadrons being cut to pieces above Warsaw.

Novikov was finally at the last report that had been in his hands. It came all the way from the Murmansk Front’s sturmovik squadron under the command of Lieutenant General Falaleev. It was commencing bombing runs out of Murmansk itself at British targets in Norway, specifically near the town of Hammerfest. There its target was a single British corps. Novikov nodded, approving of the action as it worked to slow down the British in their preparation for the invasion of Finland. Gorodovikov was moving his own troops forward to invade Sweden and Norway and needed the time. Novikov tossed that report aside with no comment.

081-04-BombinginHammerfest.png

The only air action taking place in the secondary theater of operations in Scandinavia.

Novikov sat down in the chair behind his desk and grimaced. Given that half the reports already mentioned casualties in relatively considerable numbers, it seemed likely that his entire career would be shot down in flames in the skies above the battlefields. Novikov sighed and held his head in his hands; the war would either be a very long one, or a very short one. Between two adversaries such as those that now fought, there could be no middle ground.

yey it starts!!! you are losing a lot of planes, it has to be said. also, who decided that myth had to attack? it does rather give the krauts the advantage.

BritishImperial: How does it give the Germans the advantage? On the defensive, I'd just be waiting for his reserve stacks to fall on me. On the attack, I could at best bring the war to his stacks and at the worst at least provoke a panicked response :p

First comment day!

ii suppose i forgot that you can have double or triple armies attacking one. but it is winter time.

Hm, those losses seem to be pretty light to me, doesn't Discomb have any interceptors to throw at you? ;)

General Jac said:
Hm, those losses seem to be pretty light to me, doesn't Discomb have any interceptors to throw at you? ;)

Even if that isn't the case Myth is attacking big stacks with small number of planes, in that way only damage he will cause be to his planes, is fragile and should be mostly used against already fleeing opponents.

BritishImperial: It ain't winter time! It's April! :p

General Jac: He does. Somewhere
shiftyeyes.gif

Edzako: What's the chance of Discomb fleeing, though? :p

Discomb: Yes :p

Delex: Yeah, one and a half years is probably the uppermost limit for the war :p

Discomb: Yeah, but one of those two is Pavel :p

Second comment day! I won't be updating POF tomorrow for two reasons. First, so that LtHbB and POF are on different days. Secondly, I've had an exam yesterday and another today. No time or inclination for writing an update. :p

Myth said:
BritishImperial: It ain't winter time! It's April! :p

ok - im an idiot. but theres an ice pic in one of the battles.

BritishImperial: Frozen can occure all the way up to may, especially up in the north.

Myth: They were mostly in the skies behind the front line. I intended to intercept your bombers before they got to the troops, and a lot of the casualties were actualy from that. In other words, LOOK BEHIND YOU!

Also, I'll be updating lthbb a bit later today, so the one missed day doesn't shift it's schedule. You do what you want with PoF. :p

BritishImperial: Well, I figured its an anomaly. Romania was just having a little bad weather up in the north :p

Discomb: No you didn't :p

And I'll be writing an update today to post tomorrow :p