• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Discomb said:
I look like shit, hands down. My hair is a bigger mess than Weimar Germany.

:rofl: I liked your openning pic too! :D Can't wait to see how your plan for Germany goes. Why did you give everything to Equatorial Africa, though? :confused:

Wooooo, indeed! :D

ROFL . Using a mouse on a couch cushion ? This is starting to look scary !

Discomb said:
pof0.jpg
This picture is horrifying. :p

I quote it so you all have to see it again.

Also, this AAR is very excellent.

that picture creeps me out.. :rofl:

EDIT: POST 4000! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

VILenin: thanks! as for Equatorial Africa, I came up with this idea first two or so years ago. I think it was so that, when we played free for all games, we could confine our wars to Europe but still be able to annex countries like Portugal or France (as this scenario is also eventless). basically, its a free form scenario where the players can set their own house rules and not have to worry terribly much about history.

General Jac: yup! :D

canonized: hey, there's nothing wrong with using a mouse on a couch cushion ;)

Kanil: yeah, its a great picture, isn't it? also, thanks! :D

therev: oh yes, the drawn out introduction is finally over. the first actual update covering game play will be posted tomorrow :D

rcduggan: the picture is awesome! and 4000 posts? wow! :p

Nabendu: yup :D

so, the first game play update will be tomorrow! who's excited? :p

Yay, gameplay update on the way. Also I wanted to ask why anti-comminter forces will rely on UK infantry support, I wonder if they will be capable of building promised 100 infantry divisions considering their dire manpower situation, beside they have good air leaders and excelent tech team to research plane assambley line.

Edzako said:
Yay, gameplay update on the way. Also I wanted to ask why anti-comminter forces will rely on UK infantry support, I wonder if they will be capable of building promised 100 infantry divisions considering their dire manpower situation, beside they have good air leaders and excelent tech team to research plane assambley line.
The UK is not all that worthless in terms of manpower. In one game I had over 150 divisions. I simply dismantled all 1st and 2nd level ships except carriers. Besides, Germany has better tanks, and tanks roll over enemies like steamrollers over cupcakes.

I'm amazed none of you look fat, because the diet you're apparently living on... :p

Funny introductions. Now get this baby rolling!

Discomb said:
The UK is not all that worthless in terms of manpower. In one game I had over 150 divisions. I simply dismantled all 1st and 2nd level ships except carriers. Besides, Germany has better tanks, and tanks roll over enemies like steamrollers over cupcakes.

Who needs tanks if you have CAS ?
jugs6.jpg
acmthumbez2.jpg

Edzako said:
Ask that to Myth's poor 205. Motostrelkovaya Diviziya :D
Hahaha, well, without giving too much away, by the time the war started I had both, tanks and CAS, though significantly less CAS than I had hoped to produce. Some got magically destroyed by the hereby yet unmentionable nation.

SURPRISE SPOILER! :O

Discomb: smart-ass :p

Edzako: as Discomb said, get rid of their Great War-era navy and militia and...but on the flip side, take away India...

Discomb: yeah but back then you were on a cavalry fetish so a third of them were cavalry to face my armor ;)

Berrrie: hey, we're (or at least I'm) only on that diet when lanning, which we did about one and a half times a month when we were all in Latvia. but thanks, and glad to see you with us! :D

Edzako: well...possibly...this is armageddon, remember ;)

Discomb: then you're well prepared, assuming a certain condition...:p

Edzako: it did suffer pretty heavily :eek:

Discomb: surprise spoiler?! oh noes! :eek:

anyway, update coming up! :D

3 Kilometers south of Tblisi
December 31, 1935

Lieutenant General A.I. Kuznetsov leaned over the map lit only by a dim lamp hanging precariously above, studying it intently. Around the map table were his corps commanders: Major Generals Deev, Saladze and Marchenkov and Lieutenant General Berman. These men were the commanders of his 2nd, 3rd and 4th Mountain Corps and 1st Cavalry Corps, respectively. Kuznetsov himself commanded the 1st Mountain Corps, though his role was actually larger than that as he was the commander of the entire Caucasus Front. At this time, January 1st 1936, the Caucasus Front was the foremost army of the Soviet Union, being nearly entirely up to regulation strength; of its four Mountain Corps, only the 1st did not have its full complement of three mountain divisions—the 1st had only two. The 1st Cavalry, too, had its full complement of three cavalry divisions. The Caucasus Front was comprised of 195,000 men who had been trained for a specific purpose: fighting in the rough terrain of the Caucasus. And they would put their training to use, invading Turkey.

Thus, Kuznetsov was standing over the map with his corps commanders, making their final deliberations before putting their operational plan into effect. The first phase of the operation called for a swift penetration of the initial Turkish defenses and a deep penetration all the way to the Aegean Sea. Kuznetsov's own 1st, as well as Deev's and Saladze's 2nd and 3rd Mountain Corps held their initial objective to be Izmit, ocross the Bosporus Strait from Istanbul. Marchenkov's 4th Mountain Corps was to make its way to Bursa after sweeping through southern Turkey. Berman's 1st Cavalry, ostensibly the Front reserve, would actually spearhead the thrust through the south by aiming to occupy Gazientep before reaching Mersin, where it would halt its advance. Kuznetsov sighed.

“I suppose we still don't have any reliable numbers on the Turkish army?”

Deev shook his head. “Only for what's directly on the border, but you know everything there is to know about them.”

“Indulge me.”

Nodding, Deev pulled a piece of paper out of his folder. “The Turks have one infantry division stationed around Trebizond and another near Kars. Given such sparse deployment, they seemingly don't suspect any attack.”

Kuznetsov rubbed his temples with one hand, the other holding the edge of the table and allowing him to lean forward. “I still don't like it. STAVKA expects a quick victory, but I can't help but think that they'll just use their navy to blockade the Sea of Marmara and prevent us from crossing over to and taking Istanbul. Their main concentration of soldiers must be in the central valley, within relatively easy deployment of the frontier. Remember the war against the Poles. We cannot allow such a defeat to happen to us here. We must crush them, and swiftly. We must have Istanbul before the Germans reach Romania.”

Berman ran his fingers through his hair. “We all know what's at stake—our careers, not to mention whatever strategic position STAVKA may wish to have in the Balkans. There is nothing more we can do now.”

Kuznetsov sighed and looked at the map again.

005-01-InvasionPlan.png

The first phase of the Soviet operational plan for the conquest of Turkey.

After what seemed like an eternity, he nodded and his generals dispersed to their own headquarters, leaving him alone with his staff, counting the minutes. Kuznetsov gently placed his watch on the table next to the counters that denoted the corps of his Front; sometimes he had the feeling that he was too low a rank to command an entire Front, especially one as large as his. He sighed and sat down onto his camp stool, pulling out a bottle of vodka from underneath the maps table. Producing a shot glass from a pocket, he poured himself a drink and downed it in an instant before pouring himself another and placing the glass down onto the table next to the watch and the bottle back underneath the table.

After what seemed to be an eternity, sitting and staring at the vodka, Kuznetsov reached for it. As soon as he had, the thunder began, causing the vodka to shake within the glass. Kuznetsov checked his hand for a moment to stare at the seemingly spontaneously moving liquid before finally grabbing hold of the glass and downing that shot as well. The attack had begun on time, at an hour past midnight on January 1, 1936. The Turkish positions near Kars were being shelled from two directions and in an hour the infantry would move forward to attack. Kuznetsov disliked waiting, but he knew that battle was always about which commander was the more patient. Eleven Soviet divisions—three cavalry and eight mountain—were assaulting Turkish positions around Kars; Kuznetsov did not believe that the Turkish general, who he knew to be Lieutenant General Wehib Pasha, would be very patient. His division's frontline, although strengthened by an anti-aircraft artillery brigade Soviet intelligence had failed to detect, was already cracking. Messengers disappeared into the darkness outside Kuznetsov's command tent, leaving behind hurriedly written reports. The good news Kuznetsov craved was already trickling in.

005-02-BattleofKars.png

the 1st, 3rd and 4th Mountain Corps, as well as the 1st Cavalry Corps, were smashing the Turkish lines minutes into their attack.

Kuznetsov frowned. He knew he wasn't qualified to command an entire Front and his corps commanders, excepting Berman, were not qualified to command corps—and it was showing already. The combined staffs of the four involved corps could only adequately control four of the eleven divisions taking part in the attack on Kars. He knew, too, that Deev's staff was similarly limited, and his corps did not nearly have the weight that the combined rest of the Front did—and he was attacking into rougher terrain. The area around Kars was dominated by hills, but Trebizond was nestled amongst actual mountains. Fortunately, he knew that Deev's opponent was the relatively unskilled Major General Gürzlin, also commanding but a single division. Kuznetsov had enough confidence in Deev's ability to defeat the Turks facing him despite the handicaps of an inadequate staff that Kuznetsov treated himself to a third shot of vodka.

Finally, his curiosity was satisfied as a radio operator entered the tent with a written transcript of Deev's initial report. He, too, was pushing the Turks back.

005-03-BattleofTrebizond.png

Deev's 2nd Mountain Corps was only mildly less successful against the Turkish division defending Trebizond.

Satisfied, Kuznetsov leaned back in his camp stool, put his booted feet up onto the map table and tipped his head back, eager for as much sleep as he could before information that he actually needed to act on arrived.

Myth said:
Discomb: yeah but back then you were on a cavalry fetish so a third of them were cavalry to face my armor ;)

Plain out wrong. They were ALL cavalry. I had 150 cavalry divisions attacking the level 10 fortification in Leningrad from Finland. The shocking thing is that I was THIS close to winning, despite you pulling two reserve armies into the citie's defense.

I really do love those paper clips . The photo style really adds to the gritty nature of the soviet push . Well done , Mr. Myth ! Very intriguing plan and the race to the balkans is on !