• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
probably to prevent complications, like Irland DoW-ing GB or Japan DOW-ing USSR.

Mythos1978: Don't worry too much, it's still only 1936! :p

Delex: As 4th Dimension said, France decided to try to conquer Germany and is going ahead with that plan :p

Deus Eversor: Thanks! :D

4th Dimension: Yep :p

ColossusCrusher: They're overseas from the British island homeland place entity :p

Edzako: Haha, yes, Discomb hasn't posted anything, but its not because he's ashamed. A friend is currently borrowing his desktop, his father is currently borrowing his laptop, his brother's computer is chock-full of viruses and crap and can't run Opera, Firefox or even IE and he's studying to pass the language exam so he can become a Latvian citizen and avoid service in the Belarussian army ;)

4th Dimension: Haha, as if we hadn't had enough complications of that sort already, France being the most dramatic example ;)

Update coming up!

23 kilometers north of Nasiriyah
August 20, 1936

Vacietis faced northward, his eyes training on the distant flashes that illuminated the desert hills and spitting dust that the slowly rising early morning sun, portents that signified the shell bursts in Iraqi positions as a new day dawned. It had been over a month since the battle for Baghdad but he was certain that he would fulfill his promise to Stalin, that the state of Iraq would become another client subservient to Moscow before the month ran out. Vacietis bit his lip, it was a race against time and he was depending on Petrushevskij and his cavalry. Vacietis snorted, he was always depending on his cavalry; in Persia they eventually accomplished all the objectives of the eastern prong by themselves and in Iraq they had continually borne the heaviest fighting of the campaign.

After Petrushevskij’s cavalry had secured Baghdad, on the 22th of July, they pushed onward toward Nasiriyah despite their disorganization from constant battle and movement. Unfortunately, Petrushevskij was asking too much of his men and they faltered after five hours, breaking and retreating back into Baghdad. Unsatisfied, Petrushevskij had his men nurse their wounds as he drew up another plan of battle and, impatient, attacked again on the 27th; his men had had barely five days of rest. Nevertheless, his men managed to perform the heroic deeds that had Petrushevskij had come to expect of them; after nearly forty-eight hours of desperate fighting amidst the swamps surrounding Nasiriyah, the Iraqis broke and streamed southward toward Basrah. Petrushevskij’s exhausted men only reached Nasiriyah on the 12th of August.

045-01-BattleofNasiriyah.png

The second battle of Nasiriyah, in which Petrushevskij’s cavalry emerged victorious after heavy fighting.

As all this had been going on, the Iraqi forces that had withdrawn from Kirkuk had withdrawn to and then pushed from Samarra by Vacietis’ trailing infantry divisions. The Iraqis had withdrawn to Hilla, where they suffered another blow on the 25th as a preemptive attack routed the first defenders, though the next day the Iraqis recovered and stood their ground, halting the Soviets that were attacking from Mosul. Nevertheless, by the 12th Vacietis’ infantry had reached Baghdad and were pushing even further south and Petrushevskij was throwing his cavalry forward toward Basrah in an attempt to overcome the Iraqis with speed and surprise despite a bumpy road to Nasiriyah that had forced the cavalry to wait for Vacietis’ infantry to catch up and add its firepower.

Petrushevskij had, however, still reached Nasiriyah first, but again matters did not go according to plan. Vacietis was beginning to believe that Petrushevskij needed not only another division, but a field command and a larger staff to command more than a single division effectively. Nevertheless, the campaign was going relatively smoothly, compared to Persia. Though the Iraqis at Basrah were waiting behind ready defenses and easily halted Petrushevskij’s reconnaissance efforts and stopped his developing offensive efforts in their tracks.

045-02-FirstBattleforBasrah.png

Petrushevskij’s failed attempt to take Basrah.

Again, Petrushevskij’s cavalry had been forced to wait for Vacietis’ infantry to catch up. This they did by August 16th, and Vacietis had immediately thrown them toward Basrah even though they were exhausted. Basrah was the final objective in the campaign; all the rest had fallen. Knowing that time was against him, that his deadline was the 1st of September, Vacietis knew that he had no time to lose. His forces, for he opted against employing Petrushevskij’s cavalry in the attack, had a five fold advantage in numbers against the Iraqi defenders. As such, soon the Iraqi defenses had begun crumbling and then, finally, the dam burst and the Iraqis flooded away from the front and westwards into the desert. It was at this moment that Vacietis unleashed Petrushevskij’s cavalry, throwing them toward an undefended Basrah to secure it quickly and thus allow an end to the war.

045-03-SecondBattleforBasrah.png

The second battle for Basrah, Vacietis’ battle for the city.

As Petrushevskij’s cavalry forded the river and stormed toward the city, Vacietis had to redeploy his troops to face another threat. It was a threat with which he had much experience in Persia: bypassed hostile troops reclaiming certain key territories, specifically the capital. Much as the Persians had reclaimed Teheran, the Iraqis were attempting to reconquer Baghdad. Unlike in Persia, however, such an event would cut off not only Vacietis’ spearhead—Petrushevskij’s cavalry—but also the vast majority of the infantry component of his front, five of the six divisions! Vacietis knew he had to act fast, and laid his plans accordingly. At dusk on the 19th, the Iraqi positions were attacked from two sides, north and south. From the north, Bochenkov’s well rested division provided most of the fighting power as Vacietis’ five tired divisions in the south provided a compelling distraction from the main threat.

045-04-BattleforHilla.png

The ongoing battle for Hilla.

Vacietis was sanguine about the campaign. Petrushevskij’s cavalry was reporting good progress through the desert in his drive toward Basrah. Reports filtering back from the front, and by radio from Mosul, signified that the Iraqi positions that had been so battered through the night were finally showing cracks as the strain proved greater than their defensive perimeter could bear. Vacietis had been glad nine months ago when he had been faced with the promise of active duty and actual campaigning; now, however, he was looking forward to the mundane duties of commanding a garrison Front, a Front that was basking in its success rather than the magic of striving to achieve distant objectives.

Vacietis smiled as he considered this. He enjoyed them both, the mundane and the magic. Nevertheless, he had had enough magic for the time being; it had been a glorious return to arms, but he was looking forward to a rest from its stress. Given a few more years, he knew, he would be chomping at the bit and eager to have another go at the enemies of the Soviet Union, but two challenging campaigns in poor infrastructure and desert and mountainous environments had left him tired and wishing for a rest.

Good campaign. Liked the comparison between the "magic and the rest".

Yeah, here's the deal. I currently speak 5 languages from 3 language groups, and learning a 6th from a 4th, unrelated language group, in the space of 7 weeks. This is needed to pass an exam that will give me EU citizenship and exception from service in the Belorussian army, which is not that fun. However, I am as happy as the sea is not above the clouds, so everything should be good provided I don't get distracted now. My exam is March 1st, and I only have one shot at it, so until then I probably won't be updating. Myth has planned a update for me in the middle of february, but that won't happen.

As far as words for France invading me, I'll leave the details to my next update, but I will say this: I had 6 divisions on the border with belgium, which effectively protected Essen and the like. Everything else, including 3 brand new armored cores, had to be railroaded from their positions in preparation for the invasion of Yugoslavia. My brother couldn't help me out, because he was busy in... I may be jumping ahead chronologically here, but he couldn't. I had to redeploy 80% of my army from the balkans, and... you'll see what happens next.

Indeed, he has to hope his next position is far away from the Middle East. Though, as long as it ain't Siberia, I guess any command is good, right? ;)

Probably because if he messes this one, he will be spending quite some time having endless fun in the army that includes:
-marching untill your legs fall of, and then crawling to the finish
-playing with defective ammo
-getting shouted at a lot
-marching through mud
-getting shouted
-getting shot at by your stupid comrade at arms
-marching through snow
-peeling potato
-peeling something from WC floor
-marching through desert
ect

grayghost: Yes, I think it's somewhat apt in HoI2. Campaigning against competent enemies is fun, but somewhat nerve-wracking. A rest from it is always appreciated :D

Discomb: :p

Edzako: I assume it's because he'd be going back to China in April, I think. And before that he might be in Belarus. And before that we will be too busy LANning another HoI2 game that we might AAR (after this) :p

coz1: Haha, maybe...;)

4th Dimension A field marshal, peeling potatoes! Goodness! :eek:

Comment day again, lads! The next update will be tomorrow!

Myth said:
grayghost: Yes, I think it's somewhat apt in HoI2. Campaigning against competent enemies is fun, but somewhat nerve-wracking. A rest from it is always appreciated :D

Discomb: :p

Edzako: I assume it's because he'd be going back to China in April, I think. And before that he might be in Belarus. And before that we will be too busy LANning another HoI2 game that we might AAR (after this) :p

coz1: Haha, maybe...;)

4th Dimension A field marshal, peeling potatoes! Goodness! :eek:

Comment day again, lads! The next update will be tomorrow!
Was referring to Discomb.

4th Dimension: Ahh, right :p

Discomb: No, you're only a first lieutenant :p

update coming up!

The Kremlin
August 27, 1936

Stalin leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes, the scene before him was quite familiar. Men holding important posts within the Soviet Union’s ponderous bureaucracy sat in front of him, several of them with reports that were actually meaningful. Opening one eye, Stalin looked first to Yan Berzin, who was expected to speak about the Soviet Union’s research projects for the next several years. Afterward, Tukhachevskij had yet more news of the Franco-German War, as well as a final report from Vacietis in Iraq. These two men were, however, not alone; protocol demanded several more personages sit in the meeting as well even if they had nothing to add. These persons included Voroshilov and Yagoda, proving that they had too much time on their hands. Stalin noticed that Kaganovich had again eschewed the meeting in favor of work, an attitude that Stalin admired, for it was the sort of attitude that would allow the Soviet Union to succeed, when all was said and done.

Righting himself in his seat, Stalin held his hand open toward Berzin, funneling every man’s attention to him. “Comrade Berzin, I remember from our July 18th meeting that you said that your greatest competency was that of research and I understand that you have thus prepared a report on the Soviet Union’s technological developments, past, present and future. Please, explain in all the detail necessary.”

Berzin smiled. “Of course, Comrade Stalin. Unfortunately, unlike Comrade Kaganovich on the 3rd of August, I cannot give as detailed a timeline of future progress. I can, however, give much detail on past and current projects before going on to what I hope to accomplish in the future.”

Berzin paused, allowing Stalin to nod his acknowledgement before continuing. “At this time, five projects have completed since January 1st. The Nizny Tagil Factories have developed a basic sort of machine tool, which has increased the efficiency of existing factories. Similarly, the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant has introduced mass mechanization of agriculture, outputting vast quantities tractors. This has had a side-effect of decreasing the hands necessary at each kolkhoz, as well as increasing our supply efficiency a slight amount. I had ordered the Khar'kov Factory Design Bureau to develop a census tabulating machine, which it has finished. This project should in time aid in speeding up all subsequent research projects. The Ilyushin Design Bureau has completed their design and testing of a basic close air support craft. Finally, Yakov Alksnis, though not present at this moment, had fully developed an air doctrine based on continued army direction. These are the projects that have been completed thus far.”

Pausing again to take a deep breath and shuffle through his notes, Berzin continued. “Currently, the Nizny Tagil Factories are working on improving their machine tools. The Petlyakov Design Bureau is developing a science they refer to as ‘agrichemistry,’ and I am told that it will make our kolkhozes even more efficient. I have ordered the Kirov Factory Design Bureau to develop a machine that can be used for basic computing, working off of the work the Khar’kov Design Bureau had previously completed. Additionally, I have the Yakovlev Design Bureau working on a basic interceptor model. Finally, Yakov Alksnis has kindly continued developing air doctrine, focusing on something he calls a ‘combat air patrol.’ These are our current projects.”

This time, he did not noticeably halt to wait for an acknowledgement of Stalin’s understanding before continuing. “My future plans are a strict regime, designed to allow the most important projects completed by early 1942. My focus will be on industrial developments, as well as developments in infantry weapons, tanks, both interceptor and close air support craft and their doctrine, as well as army doctrine. As I believe we may fully agree that the decisive theater will be in Eastern Europe, I have eschewed any development into our navy or doctrine for its use. I have nothing more to say, Comrade Stalin.”

Stalin blinked and then nodded, shaking himself a bit. “Thank you, Comrade Berzin. That was most enlightening, and I hope that you will be able to keep to your strict regime, as you call it. I have faith that you will be able to. Comrade Tukhachevskij, I believe that you have something to report as well!”

Tukhachevskij took a deep breath. “Yes, Comrade Stalin. I bear tidings from Iraq as well as news of the Franco-German War. I shall speak on Iraq first, partially in Litvinov’s stead as he could not make today’s meeting. Persia finally declared war on Iraq, on the 21st of August. Eleven hours later, Vacietis finally overcame all Iraqi opposition and installed a puppet regime in the country. Thus, war in the Middle East as ended at last, Vacietis and his Persian Front is unemployed. Additionally, Litvinov realizes that the time of the Persian declaration of war and Iraqi surrender may be exploited in some way by the Persian government and he wishes some sort of directive from you as to how he should treat them.”

Stalin nodded, forcing a pause in Tukhachevskij’s speech. He used the opportunity to drink from a glass of water before continuing further. “That is all I have to mention on Iraq. The Franco-German War is in full swing now. The Germans have pushed the French back to their side of the Rhine, save for some troublesome pockets in central Germany and Czechoslovakia. I predict that the Germans will have trouble with the French Maginot Line and attempt to flank it through Belgium. Such a move would be easier for them, likely less bloody and more suited for their doctrine, which is remarkably similar to my theory of Deep Battle in that its fundamental attributes are those of maneuver and forced penetration of the enemy’s defenses.”

Tukhachevskij coughed into his sleeve and took another drink before speaking further. “Additionally, I have reports that a group of partisans, either Slovak or Hungarian I assume, in Presov. This event has cut off all of Germany’s countered Balkan territory from Germany itself, as the single road that connects these two portions of the German Empire runs through Presov. Clearing the partisans, while not an arduous task, will surely pulling a unit away from the western front. Finally, I have one more surprise to reveal. Germany declared war on Spain, leading to a British amphibious landing in the north, around Bilbao. The British have subsequently pushed southward into Saragossa. Assuming the British General Staff is competent, this will lead to the conquest of Spain and the positioning of a threat in France’s south, which will surely affect their strategic dispositions greatly. I have nothing more to add, Comrade Stalin.”

046-01-EuropeanSituationAgain.png

The European situation as of August 27, 1936.

Stalin nodded. “Very well, you are all dismissed.”

I was wondering when we were going to hear about the silent third partner in this war. So, Britian is finally doing something, and in Spain, which makes sense since France declared war on Germany. Lets those two put the squeeze on. With the middle east war completed, what's next for the Soviet juggernaut?

Things are progressing well. Just about time to take on Germany, methinks.

Does Germany have all of it's cores?

France seems to be doomed then, no surprises there. :p
Good to see that you have at last conquered Iraq btw, I wonder who you will attack next. ;)

ColossusCrusher said:
Does Germany have all of it's cores?
When they removed events, the gave Germany all cores it would normaly gain by events.