• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
grayghost: well, now that you mention it...:p

Discomb: but what corner was left untouched? ;)

coz1: it does look like blood, goodness! :eek: and yes, there will be several soldier updates, though most of them will be concentrated toward the end

General Jac: of course :D

comment day again, so no update until tomorrow ;)

Berrrie: thanks! and don't worry, there'll be quite a few in the future, mostly once this AAR reaches the war between me and discomb :p

update coming up in a bit!

13 Kilometers southwest of Konya
March 5, 1936

When Kuznetsov poured himself a shot of vodka, he noticed his hands were shaking. Not badly, but nevertheless, he could tell that his nerves were almost shot. He simply had too much to worry about. He had not yet raised Sevastopol Naval Base to request that Rear Admiral Panteleiev sally out to destroy the Turkish navy with his Black Sea Fleet. The Turks were fighting hard in Karabük and even attempting to counterattack. They were also rallying in the south, around Mersin, and could move in any direction—and the strategically important town of Gazientep lay undefended. The fighting for Izmit could pick up again at any time. When would Berman actually be able to occupy Istanbul? Finally, would Kuznetsov's supplies of vodka catch up with his headquarters?

Kuznetsov's Lake Trasimene was holding, just barely. The battle for Izmit may have finally petered out as the Turkish relief forces ran out of steam. At 0900 on the 30th, Saladze's 3rd Mountain Corps had reached Izmit and came under immediate attack by four divisions, two infantry and two cavalry—supported by an anti-aircraft artillery brigade—under Lieutenant General Artunkal. Saladze knew that he had to Izmit as long as he could despite the two pronged Turkish attack from Bursa and Karabük; Ankara was on the verge of falling and Berman was moving as quickly as he could toward the coastal town to support Saladze's corps. His mountaineers dug in the best they could amongst the already ravaged landscape and, to everyone's surprise, actually managed to outfight the Turks and halted their twin advanced after twenty-nine straight hours of combat from 1000 on the 30th to 1500 on the 1st of March. Ankara fell soon after, and seven Turkish division were trapped against the Black Sea.

Kuznetsov, however, had seen another danger. Two Turkish divisions remained in Mersin and had refitted and reorganized themselves and were thus ready to rejoin the war. Fortunately for Kuznetsov's command, they were commanded by the conservative and defensive-minded Colonel General Karabekir who decided, rather than attack Kuznetsov's tired corps in Konya and thus at least possibly cut of Berman and Saladze, to advance against no Soviet opposition into Gazientep again and reclaim the important city for the Turks. Kuzetsov had noticed this movement, however, and, turning his corps about-face, attacked southward toward Mersin. Kuznetsov downed his shot of vodka and placed his shaking hands on the table palm down. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

He wondered whether the Greek declaration of war on Germany had jarred his judgment somewhat. It was difficult to decide, though he remembered wondering what exactly the Greeks were thinking when they decided to declare war on the second most powerful nation on Europe—second only to the Soviet Union, of course. Nevertheless, he ordered the assault on Mersin commence at noon on the 2nd but by 0800 on the 3rd it had run out of steam as Kuznetsov's tired mountaineers simply could not make any headway against the strong and determined Turkish defenses. Kuznetsov fretted and bit at his lip; he knew that he could only sit and watch as the Turks advanced. They would have to be dealt with later, but their victory at Mersin and inevitable conquest of Gazientep would complicate matters and lengthen the campaign. Kuznetsov looked longingly at his now empty bottle of vodka, wishing that he had another one.

018-01-BattleforMersin.png

Kuznetsov's drive south toward Mersin foundered on strong Turkish defenses.

While Saladze had busied himself in Izmit and Kuznetsov north of Mersin, Deev had been allowed to draw up a plan for the destruction of the considerable Turkish forces, which amounted to seven divisions, in Karabük. He had all the information he required after a sixteen hour probing attack on the 1st and began planning with Kuznetsov's blessing, who hoped that he'd gain sufficient experience in such an operation that Kuznetsov could convince STAVKA to promote him. However, things had begun going wrong. Marchenkov's 4th Mountain Corps entered Ankara under an artillery barrage on 0900 on the 5th. An hour later, the Turks had begun their great push southwards with five infantry divisions. Unsure of whether Marchenkov's corps could hold on its own, Deev immediately attacked the Turks in Karabük, employing Saladze's mountaineers to put pressure from the west as well.

018-02-BattleforKarabuk.png

Deev's rushed attack on Turkish forces around Karabük.

Kuznetsov closed his eyes, unwilling to look at the empty vodka bottle any longer. The battles were hanging in a balance. Berman was in Izmit, the Turks were advancing on Afyonkarahisar against no opposition. Fighting raged in Ankara's streets and the villages around Karabük were being shattered by the war yet again. Gazientep was doomed to fall and Istanbul seemed like an impenetrable fortress behind the Bosporus, with all the distractions elsewhere. Kuznetsov's original operational plan had fallen apart, just over two full months had past and the Turks had not yet surrendered. Kuznetsov was worried, had he overstretched his front? The Turks seemed to finally be recovering from the blows they had suffered earlier in the campaign and were finally fighting back somewhat effectively. Kuznetsov dropped his hands from the table and let them swing backwards, limp; he was tired.

Clink.

Eyes suddenly wide open, Kuznetsov half-turned in his chair to see a vodka bottle sticking out of his greatcoat pocket. A full vodka bottle. With a vigor that almost surprised him, he whipped the bottle out of the pocket and sat it down on the table, a smile growing on his face. Vodka would be a great solace to his troubled mind. Opening the bottle and pouring himself another shot, his mind was already far away from the map on the table underneath the two vodka bottles and the worrying events it depicted.

018-03-TurkishAttackTowardAnkara.png

The Turks were attacking toward Ankara as Deev and Saladze desperately attempted to halt their advance by attacking Karabük.

Discomb said:
This update is surprisingly poorly written. Especially the first few paragraphs... :(
You guys are harsh! It would take me a few hours to pull together paragraphs that good! Much less a whole update! :eek:

MOAR!
ME WANTS MOAR!

Quanto said:
You guys are harsh! It would take me a few hours to pull together paragraphs that good! Much less a whole update!

I'm his best friend. It's my job to help him improve. I quite seriously almost threw up reading the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, and last night's dinner wasn't helping.

Does the red army has it's own Vodka factory or something? I sense that this factory will experience shortage if Kuznetsov keeps this up :p .

Wow , Turkish resistance is proving to be harder than I imagined ! Here's hoping for a speedy involvement of the black sea fleet !

Well, at least one lucky break occurred there. We can all be thankful for that. ;)

If Kuzentzov's mental spiral continues I think he might soon be "enjoying" a completely different type of shot. :eek: STAVKA will not tolerate failure!

Edzako: I'm don't know :eek: but I'm sure he'll think of something :p

Discomb: heh. I don't remember when I wrote it, maybe I had had a bad day or something

Quanto: moar is coming, at a pace of every other day ;)

Discomb: you should be more careful about what you eat :p

General Jac: what do you think all those IC in consumer goods are doing? :D

canonized: indeed, the Turks were surprisingly difficult, though I had always figured that the Bosporus would be a difficult barrier to cross

coz1: oh, definitely ;)

VILenin: quite possibly, Kuznetsov might have to shape up a bit! :eek:

command day again, lads, so the next update will be tomorrow ;)

Discomb: command day is just like comment day except that the quality of the previous update has driven my fingers to revolt against my brain :p

update coming up

18 Kilometers northeast of Bakhtara
March 7, 1936

Field Marshal Vacietis walked with his subordinates along the top of one of the trenches that had so recently been fought over. Though the first assault toward Hamadan had ended in victory, it took longer and was costlier than he had expected; it was only at 0500 on the 30th that the Persians broke from their last line of trenches. Vacietis did the calculations quickly in his head, that was thirty-nine hours of straight battle for three trench lines that guarded only the approaches to Hamadan. He gingerly stepped over a corpse; the grave-digging parties had apparently missed one or two, here or there. Nearing the remains of a Persian bunker, Vacietis halted to examine it. It had been made of logs and well camouflaged; Vacietis did not doubt that it was simple bad luck that a heavy shell had scored a direct hit on its front where there was a space in the logs for a machine gun or perhaps even direct-fire light artillery piece. Vacietis shook his head, the explosion of the shell must have killed everyone inside.

Closing his eyes, Vacietis flashed back to the fighting in Kazan against the Whites. There and then he had stood with 180 other Latvians, supported by two artillery pieces and two armored cars against the Czechoslovak Corps, as commander of the entire Soviet eastern front, it had been August 1918. They had been surrounded and the fighting was bitter; the pillbox in front of him had been replicated one, two, even three dozen times over. He had escaped with two thirds of his force and fled to the Kazan Kremlin, but the garrison had deserted to the Whites. In the end, he was one of six survivors. Kazan had been recaptured in early September by different Latvian units, and had immediately been hailed as the first major Soviet victory. The regiment that had stood with him there, and fought nearly to extinction—the 5th Latvian Rifles—received the greatest distinction the military could bestow upon them. They received the Flag of Honor.

And yet now, Vacietis seemed to be challenged by Persians. They were not driven by ideology or even really by any real overwhelming sense of loyalty to their king. They simply fought; and they seemed to be fairly good at it. The Persians had retired to the higher crags of the Zagros Mountains and remained there to be winkled out, still with their admittedly fairly impressive artillery and apparently with a fair supply of ammunition. Nevertheless, the strategic situation had changed somewhat since February 30th when they had finally been broken out of their first defensive depths. Now, they were effectively encircled, though the situation seemed to be a sort of crisis point.

Abadan had fallen to Vacietis' spearhead division. Petrushevskij's cavalry had occupied Esfahan and were racing toward Babolsar. On the other side of the coin, the infantry divisions that were following in Petrushevskij's wake had been routed out of Teheran by a determined Persian cavalry assault and were falling back in disarray toward Rasht. The fall of Teheran promised many things: supplies to the beleaugered Persians in Hamadan, a new battle for Teheran, a delayed victory and possibly a demotion for Vacietis. He unconsciously growled, he had only just been promoted to Field Marshal two months ago and had only recently gotten used to it! Not to mention, a potential, if improbably, disaster loomed—the Persians in Hamadan were, while fighting a rearguard action in the mountain passes, attempting to march north and occupy Rasht to effectively destroy two divisions, two corps, of Vacietis' Persian Front. He simply could not let such a thing happen.

019-01-SecondBattleforHamadan.png

The second phase of the continued assault on Hamadan.

Vacietis couldn't help but think that Stalin had simply wanted him out of the Frunze Academy. There, at least, he had some influence on Soviet military theory and practice. Out commanding a Front, and one on the unglamorous southern flanks of the Soviet Union, felt like a demotion to him despite the advancement to Field Marshal. His rank was higher, his position felt lower but his objectives were apparently vital to the Union's future prosecution of war. He wondered if Stalin's political sense had failed him before deciding that it had not; Vacietis was too old a Bolshevik. He did not have the heart to consciously betray what he had been instrumental in creating, even if the betrayal was merely intentional inefficiency. He would swallow the perceived insult and do his duty.

Vacietis sighed and began walking away from the shattered bunker. He could hear the artillery rumbling as his three corps—divisions, rather—began the preparatory bombardment of the Persian positions. He hoped that the Persians would be less obstinate this time around. He wanted victory, and he wanted it quickly. Not to mention, Voroshilov had already begun bothering him on the invasion of Iraq, assuring him that Persia would allow his Front to cross the border on a broad offensive which would easily knock Iraq down in a handful of weeks. Thus, the pressure was on him. Persia has to fall quickly, which meant that Persian forces around Hamadan had to be destroyed even quicker so that he could go about toppling Iraq's regime.

The whistle of shells overhead almost made him duck, but he knew he had to set an example for his subordinates. As he walked back to his command post with his staff following him, the shells pounded Persian positions in the mountain passes. He shook his head again, wondering how long it would be until the stubborn Persians break. In their mountains, they were quite competent fighters. He knew that STAVKA had ordained that the Persian units not be handled too roughly, but Vacietis knew that this one division had to be destroyed lest it endanger his timetable. Reaching his command post, Vacietis turned back and, looking through his binoculars, stared toward the mountains where his infantry was already moving forward against the Persian outpost positions. They looked just like indistinct pawns rushing forward.

One General in Turkey Drinking himself to death...if it is possible for a Russian to drink himself to death with Vodka. And Vecietas in Persia grumbling about his fate while the Persians are retaking Tehran. These generals need to get their priorities straight and their collective heads out of their collective asses!:mad:

Now that I have gotten my "Drill Instructer" feelings taken care of, keep up the good work.;)

Well I suppose it can't be helped; The southern flank is a bit of a murky swamp . You've done a good job adding some character , especially a negative one , to these generals . It would be easy to just make them happy go lucky "let's crush the inferior peoples" but instead you've given them a dynamicism that persists . Well done !

I agree with canonized (though less eloquently), well done! :D

grayghost: their priorities are pretty straight, I'd say. they're grumbling and doing their job as opposed to grumbling and marching on Moscow ;)

canonized: yes, that's what I was hoping to do, thanks! :D

VILenin: thanks! :D

comment day again so hopefully I'll actually write something today, I haven't written anything in quite a while :eek: