• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Deus Eversor: Well, he is a puppet, and his army's been disbanded. What more can you want?

oh... in that matter if he accepted puppetization ( <3 ) then theres nothing more for me to add

It was fun while it lasted. But peace treaty (or should I say capitulation) terms are harsh indeed, alliance still holding most of Europe surrenders without foot of their national territory lost . Myth, seemingly, broke their spirits with capture of Bialystok :p . Would be fun to see Germans retreating till Benelux/France borders and making their last stand there, but , most likely, Soviets would outrun considering their advantage in mobile divisions and total force at hand.

on a hilarious note, i just found out that Timoshenko's first name is Semen. i guess you probably already knew that.

Yes, and I explained that this is a very bad way of writing it in english, that doesn't mimic the phonetic at all :p

Just one question. How the hell did Suvorin survive? Wasn't he running around full height half the time?

well semen is his first name according to both google and hoi2. theres also the name Tit which i came across while studying the Soviet Union at school.

Deus Evesor is correct. The letter is e with two dots on top of it, which is read as yo or io. Not to mention, the phonetic stress falls on the second syllable, so it doesn't sound even remotely like the english semen :p

Deus Eversor: :D

Edzako: Bialystok was decisive. It would have been fun to have a longer campaign, but maybe also a bit tedious. Plus, we had run out of time anyway :p

BritishImperial: We did :p

Discomb: You're just trying to cover up for Russia ;)

Well, I'm back in England now. But since my first exam is on Monday and I didn't do as well on my essays as I hoped I would have I'll be studying today and tomorrow, plus sleeping during the night as I need to get used to the time zone. Probably won't have an update until Tuesday then.

Nice to take a look back and to see that Nikifor and his fellows have survived not just the war but the ravages of time.

I can't believe the war is finally over. That was one hard fought victory. I don't think Discomb has anything to be ashamed of as he fought you every step of the way. A couple of different outcomes in the many battles across the front and we could be seeing some old German regiments revisiting the battlefield. ;)

And it is funny to see the Japs still in Finland as the war comes to an end. Was that a fully surrender or do the Soviets still have an enemy to the east?

Yep, it certainly was a hard-fought victory. Both Discomb and I seem to be planning to critique our own performances and whatnot so those two updates will elucidate more of what we (and especially he) think about the progress of the war. But the gist is that I hung on by the skin of my teeth. And yeah, the Japanese are still in Finland. I jumped at the first peace treaty with them that I could so that I could go back to preparing for the war with Germany. The price was a Japanese foothold in Europe, though presumably some time after the German-Soviet War there'd be another Russo-Japanese War to regain this territory, some time between victory against Discomb and 1988. :p

Delex: Nothing directly, but that was more because of laziness. Plus, his mother was having guests over for dinner and they were already sitting at the table by the time we finished and all that. :p

I'm hoping to write the next update today after my first exam, to be posted tomorrow!

Riga, Latvia
August 8, 2007

1942-04-29 : Anton (everyone): it's about as bad as it can get
1942-05-00 : Anton (everyone): I actually have oil now
1942-05-00 : Anton (everyone): but I didn't when I needed it the most
1942-05-01 : 12:00 June 2, 1942 : We are attacked by hostile armies of Germany in Suwalki.
1942-05-01 : 13:00 June 2, 1942 : We are attacked by hostile armies of Germany in Bielsk.
1942-05-01 : 13:00 June 2, 1942 : We have engaged hostile armies in Bialystok.
1942-05-01 : Anton (everyone): omg hahaha I'm winning
1942-05-01 : 18:00 June 2, 1942 : We lost a battle against Germany in Suwalki.
1942-05-02 : 4:00 June 3, 1942 : We lost a battle against Germany in Bielsk.
1942-05-02 : 7:00 June 3, 1942 : We lost a battle against Germany in Suwalki.
1942-05-03 : 2:00 June 4, 1942 : We lost a battle against Germany in Suwalki.
1942-05-03 : 5:00 June 4, 1942 : We won a battle against Germany in Bialystok.
1942-05-03 : Anton (everyone): that's it
1942-05-03 : Lukas (everyone): WOOT
1942-05-03 : Anton (everyone): can I just surrender now?
1942-05-03 : 7:00 June 4, 1942 : Germany accepted our generous peace offer.
1942-05-03 : 7:00 June 4, 1942 : Soviet Union have made Germany their puppet state.
1942-05-03 : Anton (Germany) has left the game!
The final (important) few lines from the game log.

The war was finally over. The entire time, my hands had been shaking with adrenalin. The war had been quite intense. The AAR may have plodded a bit toward the end, going day by day, but with those days passing in minutes during our LAN session, you can probably imagine how intense it was. In all, our war lasted some seven hours of real time, approximately. Seven hours to play two months and four days of brutal, tightly maneuvered combat operations. To finally finish the game was a relief, to win it was something more. It was a very close game. Even just thinking about it now sends a shiver up my spine, though that may just be the fact that my room is a bit cold. This update isn't mostly an excuse to post the last pictures from Riga rather than anything else.

Discomb popped around to the room I was playing in and we had a little chat about our war. I don’t remember what was said, but it was probably along the lines of what we usually say when we talk about it. That is, how close it was, how little oil he had, why did he drive into a swamp, that sort of thing. I really don’t know what else to say, so here’s a picture.

124-01-TalkingabouttheWar.jpg

Us, talking about the war like two veterans, after the game.

The post-war discussion ended in a handshake. It was a good game after all, and we’re all good sportsmen. At least, usually we are. This was one of the usual times.

124-02-GoodWarHandshake.jpg

A good handshake between friends, sportsmen, opposing generals and dire enemies—all rolled into one. Or two, rather.

After the friendly handshake, Discomb bowed down to my superior strategizing and war-fighting. Or just my superior luck. Or whatever. He was defeated, thus he bows. And we shake again. And my foot is on him to illustrate my victory. And superiority.

124-03-VictoryHandshake.jpg

The victory handshake, between the victor and the defeated, the superior and the inferior, the Latvian and the permanent resident of Latvia!

I don’t really know what else to write for this update. Most of what I felt then and think now has already been written and posted. Or written and to be posted in the next update. So I’ll just leave this as a short update (albeit not the shortest, compared to the real victory update). It was a good game, a very good game. We want to LAN again, though a different globe-changing mod of mine, though we don’t know when we’ll manage it. It may have to wait until HoI3, even.

Discomb: And before that, it was even shorter! :p

Deus Eversor: Well, he was completely disarmed so he wouldn't pose much of a threat to me for the moment :p

Update tomorrow! It's a 2,500+ word strategic critique of my war against Discomb. It's more of a stream of thought than a real structured critique, but it's all strategy :p

ah, you guys look so cool. whats that on your knee on the first photo?