• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(79902)

Corporal
Jul 7, 2007
(Magna Mundi Gold 1.5)

Playing as Brandenburg because I heard it's a good choice for uniting Germany. I started with making Saxony my vassal diplomatically, then annexed it. Moved on to Mecklenburg and annexed it thorugh war and then made their ally Pommern my vassal which I later annexed. After that I annexed Lübeck through war. By this time I had already realised that the Ottoman Empire was gonna be a problem for me so instead I went east to take Danzig because of the trade center and also Warmia while I was at it. Along the way I lost the provinces Neumark, Dresden and Erfurt to the Ottoman Empire. Right now I've got a +200 relation with both Russia and the Ottoman Empire so hopefully they'll leave me alone while I try to expand further west (started with Hamburg already). A little worried since they've both got cores on some of my provinces.

From here it is probably impossible to unite Germany. Firstly I would have to fight tens of thousands of troops and then I would have to take many of their provinces to get one because they are so big.

What did I do wrong? Bad luck? Not playing fast enough?

eu3mmg1.jpg

Magna Mundi: "Ottomans looking south!" :rofl:

Have the exactly same problem, Ottomans just eat Europe in few years. Gladly I'm Protestant Portugal which all the Muslims seem to love.

Ouch. I dont think that is your fault. But then again you didn't took Luneburg and Hannover required for the unification. Not sure you took Franken either?

Other than that, bad luck. And yeah, "ottomans looking south" :rofl:

Gah! And I thought the OE in my game was large(well, they might be close, mine's been conquring largeswaths of Russia.

I think luck played a part, since in some games the OE implodes. They'll tech really slow with such a huge empire(they are in mine, 9 land tech for going on a century now) because of the big wrong culture/religion tax penalties. If you hold out a while and grab what provinces you can maybe they'll start to be pushed back by someone and you can join in/laugh from the sidelines.

Zimfan said:
Gah! And I thought the OE in my game was large(well, they might be close, mine's been conquring largeswaths of Russia.

I think luck played a part, since in some games the OE implodes. They'll tech really slow with such a huge empire(they are in mine, 9 land tech for going on a century now) because of the big wrong culture/religion tax penalties. If you hold out a while and grab what provinces you can maybe they'll start to be pushed back by someone and you can join in/laugh from the sidelines.

Increase your land tech , and field hyper advanced armies centuries ahead of what the Ottoman Empire can master . Conquer what's left of Christian Germany , improve your land tech , and once there;s a huge gaping chasm between your land tech and the turks , slaughter them with your advanced weaponaries .

I don't think they're gonna implode any time soon. :D Not even Russia is a problem for them!

Sometimes the relation between me and Ottoman Empire drops from +200 to -200, I think this is when they get a new core on one of my provinces. I hurry to spam gifts to them before they attack me lol. Most of the small states in the west are vassals and allies of Burgundy so it's not gonna be easy to expand more. That's probably the only reason the Ottoman Empire hasnät rolled over those provinces yet.

eu3mmg2.jpg

Wow, look at that Ottoman Empire!

Can anyone say "Sheikdom of Praha" with me?

That was the problem with mt game too... :(
But luckily I was playing Palatinates and united south Germany, so they are now stopped for good. They are still land tech 9 in 1730 and I'm 21. Highest in teh world! ;) SO I've been pushing them back since 1650s. I might post a map too.

I just stopped my Japan game to look at Europe. I'm in 1610, and the Ottoman haven't done quite as well. Not too far off, though.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to balance those damned Turks...

Wow.

Wow.

WOW! :eek:

I've never seen an Ottoman Empire that big! Outside of player-as-OE games, anyway!

I'm curious to see how you'll do this! What allies can you get? Any chance of making some peace with the Ottos while you expand elsewhere?

Bravo for starting the AAR at this point -- very brave! :D

Rensslaer

I'm obviously in their way! Working hard to keep up the +200 relation else this will end quickly. :)

*Decline* (Will make them fight Russia more instead of taking the small weak provinces)

btw as the Holy Roman Emperor I inherited Burgundy so the expansion west seems a bit easier now.

eu3mmg3.jpg

Sr. Toledo said:
Give it to them. Military Access will ensure that you will have fair warning when the OE wants to attack (because they must cancel the access first).

But that would also make it possible for them to conquer the Western Europe and make Brandenburg surrounded, doubt he wants that. ;)

After inheriting Burgundy I now have a better chance to take the smaller provinces which previously was its vassals. Here occupying the the 3 allies Münster, Cologne and Liege. Hessen and Cleves are already my vassals.

Letting the Ottoman Empire through my provinces will only result in them taking Netherlands, Oldenburg, Denmark, etc. so it's not an option.

eu3mmg4.jpg

Good Grief ! The Ottoman threat ! Well ; the trick really is to find that one point in time when you think you can strategically outwit the Ottomans . From my experience I know that although the enemy can seem overwhelming so long as you hit at the right time when they're not ready and divide and conquer and hold onto a line somewhere you can pull it off . Once you win your first war , it'll become easier and easier as oppossed to let them grow . I would speculate that if you do allow them to continue to grow , the only viable strategy there is to either be perpetually their puppet or hedge your bets on growing to a point to challenge them faster than they can grow to the point where they cannot be challenged . When they're at war with someone else is the best time to strike . The AI is very bad about multi-front wars .

Russia declared war on me despite our good relation (could have something to do with my reputation which is around 10). First thought was "Oh Nooo!" until I saw what the Ottomans were doing over there in the east. Russias glory days are over! At a second though it's better if they balance each other out but the Ottoman Empire haven't declared war on me... yet.

I sent one army to get the percentage up so hopefully I can end it with white peace or something eventually.

eu3mmg5.jpg