• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chomp! France is getting eaten by Burgundy.

Austria is too small, they need to annex Hungary and Poland. ;)

Nice handling of so many wars with Hungary, let's hope they can handle the Ottoman Empire now, or they'll be eclipsed by Austria.

As for Austria, very well done against Castille, you got provinces and you blocked Burgundy from the Med, watch your colonies in Brazil, if a war breaks you could loose them.

And, France's down!!! :D Always good to see that, although I prefer when Burgundy it's the one that actually dissapears.

merrick - thanks for reading. I've given up long ago any pretension to achieve equal status to Austria with Hungary. But I don't feel sorry for Hungary either, she has managed to keep territorial integrity so far, and kept Crimeans and Lithuanians off the Balkans (unfortunatelly not the Polish).

Madmonkey24 - everybody hates France for some reason... I want to keep playing both countries separately, maybe at the end of the AAR I'll let Hungary be annexed. But even if I wanted right now, both say 'impossible' to an alliance, even at 200 relations.

rcduggan - I want to preserve the HRE as much as I can, so I'll expand south of France for now :)

Capibara - thanks, no chance of Austria not eclipsing Hungary, after all Austria has access to some of the richest provinces in Europe. But there is plenty of stuff still to do for Hungary, Crimea is now quite weakened :D

Sweboy - I'll keep the dance with Burgundy going for a while yet, until the music stops...

Most satisfying seeing this AAR again aldriq. You know I think Hungary just might still have a chance at over taking Austria, maybe, well sort of maybe. Yea when pigs can fly. :D

Joe

etepetete - Thanks for commenting! Don't worry, if anything I'd move it to the sunnier Italian coast :)

Storey - Thanks! You may be right- money, manpower and universities are not everything in this game after all......................... yeah right :( Are you planning a new AAR any time soon? You were toying with Magna Mundi and the idea of using allied nations trying to keep them allied all through the game.

aldriq said:
etepetete - Thanks for commenting! Don't worry, if anything I'd move it to the sunnier Italian coast :)

Storey - Thanks! You may be right- money, manpower and universities are not everything in this game after all......................... yeah right :( Are you planning a new AAR any time soon? You were toying with Magna Mundi and the idea of using allied nations trying to keep them allied all through the game.

I'm looking at putting MMG2 through its paces and seeing if it's as good as it looks. I've played the first few years and I'm impressed. Haven't decided if I'm going to do an AAR on it.

Joe

Storey said:
I'm looking at putting MMG2 through its paces and seeing if it's as good as it looks. I've played the first few years and I'm impressed. Haven't decided if I'm going to do an AAR on it.

You should do one :) A Sicilian or Aragonese MMG2 AAR in your hands could be most interesting.

Hungary 1550-56

Here we are, still standing but involved in two wars. The Peasants' War and the Western Arms Trade still active, the economy still poor and stability still 0.

ah1550a.jpg

The war against Karaman doesn't concern me, it's really none of my business and I'm sure Poland and Lithuania are perfectly capable of dealing with it.

ah1550b.jpg

On the other hand, with no allies, the Ottoman war is a lot more worrying. The war so far has been pretty inconclusive, but they still have more men, 4 generals, a navy and probably a lot more money than Hungary.

ah1550c.jpg

With only 60 ducats to spare and rubbish mercenaries available, I decide to invest in a good general. The only leader I had was a useless admiral (I feel tempted to put him in charge of the mighty 0-vessel navy, but I send him to study the marine fauna of the Black Sea instead), and the king has been only in the throne for a few months, so I don't dare sacrifice him (and stability) to fight the Turks. With army tradition high and some luck I get a shock 6 general! I'll need every shock point soon enough.

ah1550d.jpg

All geared up I descend on Silistria in April with Tamas "6-shocker" Karolyi leading his 16K men. The few Turkish regiments fleeing from Bessarabia are defeated, but the celebrations don't last long, as they regroup in Thrace and Edirne. In June I see 20K Ottomans coming towards Silistria and decide to call it a day in the Black Sea riviera, I retreat the army to handle the rebels in Pecs... "Sorry folks, we left the oven on in one of our provinces, we'll be right back!"

ah1550e.jpg

And so they storm Bessarabia, and Cherson, but soon the harsh Hungarian lands do a much better job than any army decimating their 20,000 men. The big Polish stacks continuosly crossing through Bessarabia didn't help them much either :)

Nevertheless, they take both provinces and disembark small regiments in Corfu, Dalmatia and Ragusa, they are throwing everything they have at me. By december their main army has been reduced to 12K and I feel brave enough to send Tamas and his men to show the Ottomans a taste of St Stephen's hospitality. Big clash in January and... I win!!

ah1551a.jpg

I hire some mercs to deal with the Adriatic provinces and use the main army to chase down the defeated Turkish forces in the east.

ah1551c.jpg

It takes the best part of 1551 to recover lost provinces and destroy the Turkish forces...

ah1552a.jpg

And the best part of 1552 to lay siege to Ottoman Europe. In december Thrace falls! However, with no navy I can't go any further, Ottoman vessels efficiently guard the Bosphorus. So I flog the sea with chains like Xerxes to calm down the frustration (he truly was a artist of anger management).

ah1552b.jpg

Silistria and Edirne fall in 1553 but the war exhaustion is crippling. Rebellions keep occurring in quick succession, culminating in 15K rebels in Thrace who eventually hand the province back to the Turks. I start sending the Ottomans peace offers, it's time to end the war.

ah1553a.jpg

And just before the end of the year they accept: Edirne, Silistria and 25 ducats! Not bad after all.

ah1553b.jpg

Needless to say, the post-war period is going to be tough and austere, keeping a low profile while building workshops and sending missionaries.

ah1554a.jpg

The war with the Ottomans kept me so concentrated on the Balkans that I hadn't even looked at the west in 4 years. This is what happened...

ah1554b.jpg

:eek: A massive war between England-Scotland-Portugal and Burgundy. Only this time the Burgundians, unlike Spain, got the Armada bit right :eek:

France annexed Brittany, and moved the capital to Vendee. Île-de-France was probably too much of an Île in that burgundy sea for the French king to sleep at night. Just to show that the AI can simulate fear.

Austria diplo-annexes Genoa and with it the Crimean provinces, again. The AI can simulate stubbornness better than any other human trait :mad:

In the east the Timurids have taken 4 provinces off Kazan, I was wrong thinking that Ming was the biggest Eastern threat.

And in the Balkans, I made the mistake of leaving a small Turkish detachment cross to Bulgaria just before the end of the war (I think Serbia DoWed the OE and Bulgaria joined). At the time I though the Serbians would handle the situation as they had 5,000 men...

ah1554c.jpg

But the AI is not very good at handling minors, so Bulgaria is annexed and Serbia gets a white peace...

ah1554d.jpg

Oh well, at least the Ottomans cannot access the province, so as soon as rebels appear they will lose it. Unless they go to war with me, in which case I'd be more than happy to oblige. But no, they have the cheek to ask me for military access, I laugh all the way from Budapest to Istanbul!

ah1555a.jpg

In 1555 the battle of Britain ends, England doesn't come out of it as mauled as Scotland. But they English have now an even more inconvenient neighbour north of the border... and east, and west.

ah1555b.jpg

For the first time in a long time with Hungary I reach the end of the turn feeling that something has been achieved. We'll see if the AI can keep it up.

I'll leave you with a big picture of the Near East, where Ottoman green goes out of fashion to give way to... Timurid green!

ah1556a.jpg

aldriq said:
I'll leave you with a big picture of the Near East, where Ottoman green goes out of fashion to give way to... Timurid green!
Not to mention Qara Koyunlu green - they seem to be fairly huge as well.

And yes, the AI can simulate stubbornness better than any other trait - unless you count stupidity.

Best of luck with Austria. Are you still friends with Burgundy?

Sweboy said:
I did warn you against that purple menace! I hope it wont go after you.

I never said I didn't expect Burgundy to continue expanding, but as it is I prefer them taking low-yielding Scottish/Irish provinces instead of rich French or German ones :D

merrick said:
Not to mention Qara Koyunlu green - they seem to be fairly huge as well.

And yes, the AI can simulate stubbornness better than any other trait - unless you count stupidity.

Best of luck with Austria. Are you still friends with Burgundy?

But at least Qara Koyunlu ends in Persia, I can't see the end of the Timurid Empire :eek:

Stupidity is not simulated, it's naturally occurring :rofl:

I do hope Austria is still friends with Burgundy, I'm not quite sure what was Austria's position in that war, I haven't loaded the game as Austria yet.

Austria 1557-63

Yes, you guessed it, Austria is no longer Burgundy's best pal...

ah1557a.jpg

A bit of research shows the cause: Austria supported Burgundy against England, but Burgundy refused to help Austria in the war of succession of Brunswick. But not to worry, my remaining allies are all of great power and renown: Crete, Serbia, Corsica, Candar.

Alone against Burgundy, I have to act quickly not to be outdone by the big red blob. Time to settle old scores with little Lorraine. They are un-allied, unmarried and protestant, so I only need a CB to attack them at no stability cost, I send the spies to Metz immediately...

ah1557b.jpg

But they fail... and there is no money left this year to retry. I use the rest of the year to re-release Genoa, and rid of her Crimean provinces once again, but this time Kaffa goes to Hungary, Azov to Lithuania. I hope the eastern powers will make better use of them.

ah1557c.jpg

ah1557d.jpg

Before the year ends England warns me, they probably feel quite brave now that Burgundy is not my ally. After the beating they took from Burgundy they shouldn't be going around looking for trouble.

January 1558 arrives, the spies try again in Metz...

ah1558a.jpg

Success! War is declared on Lorraine, and England takes the chance to use the warning to DoW me back, very well.

The Lorraine army is duly bounced up and down their lands. My idle army in Brazil spots an unguarded English province and takes it. Just as some English troops appear to take it back I quickly get the province in a peace treaty...

ah1558c.jpg

With my eagerness to grab the Brazilian province and get rid of England, I hadn't noticed that my overzealous ally Hamburg was already ocuppying all Wales and Ulster :eek: otherwise I would have let them get on with their good work!

ah1558b.jpg

Never mind, Lorraine's provinces are all besieged and, by October 1559, all under Austrian control.

ah1559a.jpg

Unfortunately my original wish of vassalisation plus Metz is 106% WC, over the 100% limit, so I have to settle for Metz, Barrois and their conversion to the true faith. All the same, it's the humilliation what matters :D

ah1559b.jpg

Also in 1559 I get to choose a new NI, I can't remember the last time I did. I hesitate between Bureaucracy and Church Attendance Duty, but seeing how the empire is now growing fast I opt for the latter.

ah1559c.jpg

1560 is not the best year for the English: Wales declares independence and Yorkshire defects to Burgundy. England, keen to emulate France, is slowly going down the same route. France, on the other hand, sits tight and stays very quiet, hoping that Burgundy won't notice her. Maybe she's learned the lesson after 100 years of decline.

ah1560a.jpg

Cessation of Church Functions in September 1561 blows away my stability increase due in October this year.

Genoa goes bankrupt after that, maybe I should have given them back their Crimean provinces after all.

I was leisurely pondering who my next target would be, Mantua or Sicily, when I get this:

ah1561a.jpg

Austria must have warned Castille in previous years. Too good an opportunity to miss, I join the party, Austria-Algiers-Morocco versus Castille-Navarra-Portugal.

At first everything goes smoothly, I snatch a gold-producing colony in Brazil, my armies swamp Castille's French provinces, Portugal and Navarra are quickly offered white peaces...

ah1562a.jpg

All too easy. Then I realise that the main Castillian forces are in Africa, munching Morocco and Algiers. Juan VI and his 25,000 men take Algiers and all four Moroccan provinces, getting the Africans out of the war by mid 1562. After that my 3,000 soldiers in Rio de Oro get the beating of their life and the province falls to Castille.

By the end of 1562 it is clear that it is not going to be so easy this time to extract a few French provinces off the Castillians... only 10% WC so far! I start re-building my non-existent fleet.

ah1562b.jpg

The beginning of 1563 brings news from the east, a short Polish-Ottoman war ends with two nations released, Dulkadir and the Papal States in Rhodes. Sadly no gains for Hungary.

ah1563a.jpg

Shortly afterwards Sicily annexes Mantua, now that's an excuse to attack Sicily if I ever saw one.

Then I get the chance to move the slider towards free trade with Merchant Fractures.

ah1563b.jpg

In April Juan VI and his men finally arrive in France and a big clash ensues in Toulouse. The Castillian king is a very good general...

ah1563c.jpg

The battle lasts nearly 2 months, and eventually...

ah1563d.jpg

The Castillians win :( but with a high cost. I regroup and attack them in Languedoc, this time defeating them.

ah1563e.jpg

With all this excitement, the Austrian monarch dies in November. Long live Joseph I, Holy Roman Emperor!

ah1563f.jpg

On top of that the Ottomans attack my ally Serbia and I have to come to their help...

ah1563g.jpg

More troops come from the Iberian peninsula and the turn is ending, the WS is only 12% so I ask the Castillians for Languedoc (36%). Just before Christmas they accept.

ah1563h.jpg

I wasn't particularly keen on leaving to the AI to fight two wars, and Languedoc was the province I was most interested in, giving me a land border with Aragon which will be useful in my next war with Sicily.

ah1563j.jpg

And I got a Brazilian gold colony off the Castillians :)

ah1563i.jpg

Quite a busy turn, I hope things are a bit quieter with Hungary.

Cool! Updates! The Blob continueth, I see. :)
Collasping majors seem to be a feature of this game - remind me, what version are you playing?
The last war was a meat-grinder and no mistiake. I reckon you were right not to let the AI out unsupervised to play with Juan VI.

Well, at least you got one province out of the war. Also some (more) colonies too, that should help.

How soon are you planning to go to war with Sicily?

merrick - the blob shall continue, racing against Burgundy :) Let me see... I started the game with NA/2.0, I patched with 2.1 in 1500 and then with 2.2 in 1536. Juan VI was a beast, 6 shock and 3 or 4 in the rest of the stats, the best I could get with Army Tradition 39% was a puny 2 shock 2 maneouver :( no way I would have left the AI alone against him!

rcduggan - No, I'm not complaining, it was a good turn overall. Most importantly, Burgundy didn't do anything. Sicily and Aragon, well now that they've annexed Mantua... [tone=self-righteous HRE]they really have exhausted the patience of the emperor, if they think they are the dynamic duo of the Med and can do whatever they like in Italy with impunity, they are very very wrong...[/tone]. So yes, they'll be crushed as soon as my next turn with Austria, unless the AI attacks them first :D