• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tough times for Hungary, definitely. Let's hope they decide not to go to war while you are away.

BBBD316 - I hope not, I really hope things will improve for Hungary after the peasants' war effects go.

tthf - Thanks for your confidence!

Sweboy - Hungary may stumble but will never keel over! She doesn't even share border with the OE anymore.

coz1 - Don't worry, the negative stability will keep them quiet, unless they get a casus belli...

spl - True, the OE will take some time to recover, but Crimea and their friends Kazan are quite healthy right now :eek:

Well if things in Hungary get too bad you might have to create a dual monarchy of your own. ;) Would kinda ruin your game-concept but at least it would spare you some stupid wars.

Austria 1505-9

Coming back to Austria after the previous turn with Hungary is quite refreshing. The economy is still intact, stability is good and though there are some rebels to fight it is only due to war exhaustion, nothing serious. Some time will be needed to cool down war exhaustion and build up army and manpower, I can't believe Austria defeated the OE with so few men; I guess the AI must have used lots of mercenaries and then disbanded them after the war.

There is a new monarch in the throne, Maria Theresa I, Queen of the Han... oops wrong AAR, I mean Maria Theresa I, archduchess of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor -as far as I know the title could only ever go to male monarchs, so I presume she must be dressing like a man for the occasion :)

ah1505a.jpg

Then I notice something odd, Burgundy is very bright... it can't be... I check... and yes, Austria is allied to Burgundy!

ah1505b.jpg

How on earth did that happen? Well I shouldn't really blame the AI, it is probably a very good strategic decision to ally your most powerful neighbour when you have your armies fighting at the other side of Europe. And in fairness Burgundy hasn't attacked any member of the HRE in more than 15 years now. Maybe they've reformed, maybe they are busy colonising, maybe the new patch has truly made the HRE more stable.

Still, I think that having Burgundy as ally is a double-edged sword, at some point they will attack one of my allies and I'll have to choose. Oh well, I'll worry when it happens.

in the meantime rebels are having a good time all through Europe. Lorraine, annexed by Portugal a few years ago, is about to be 'liberated' by rebels. Lithuania annexes Norway, but an empire that stretches from the Urals to Orkney can't get away with it without having some rebel fun :)

ah1507a.jpg

This turn I finally start to see some discoveries of the Qftnw nations in North Africa and America. Burgundy, Castille and England seem to be the busiest in America. It's all still quite patchy so I'll post screenshots in the next turn maybe.

I check to see if there is anything worth colonising but even Rio de Oro in the close-ish side of the coast of Africa is beyond my colonial range (239/221 from Nice, my furthest port city), let alone Bermuda or Puerto Rico. I'll have to wait to get more naval tech level.

But to be honest I find it a bit harsh that Austria should get her first National Decline event in 1507.

ah1507b.jpg

Just when I thought that this would be a quiet turn, in 1508 I receive a call to arms from Modena: Sicily and friends (Urbino, the Papal State and Aragon) have attacked them. It's a good excuse to get Romagna and its university off Aragon :)

By the way the Papal States are now based in Avignon, they get around in this game. I wonder if they'll end up moving to the new world. Fancy the Holy See in Delaware!

ah1508a.jpg

The war goes smoothly until Aragon starts pouring armies from the homeland crossing all the way across Castille-Savoy-Milan-Tuscany. It's really annoying that my vassals allow my enemies to cross through my back yard, there should be a diplomatic option to prevent this. Next time I'll annex Savoy to lock the back door.

I take Ancona and manage to annex Urbino, but Rome and Romagna take longer to fall. When they finally do (warscore 23%) Aragon refuses to give Romagna :mad: Fair enough, they still have armies to throw at me, and even when I kick them out of Italy they sneak back and attack Nice, Sneaky AI!

As it's becoming the norm, December arrives with no satisfactory conclusion to the war, so once again I'll leave Maria Theresa to finish those pesky Aragonese off. Who knows, she might even invade Sicily.

ah1509a.jpg

And now back to the joys of instability and poverty at the other side of the Danube.

This is starting to be common, you start or get involved in a promising war, and turn's over, well, you can't have everything in the world. Way to go with Burgundy!, an excellent ally that will prove useful in further wars against whoever get's in the Austrian path.

hmmmm, getting burgundy as an ally...
good and bad imo.

good: useful when attacked by powerful neighbours when you least expect it

bad: might drag you (austria) into many wars, even one against..... the French....especially when the AI is in control of Austria..

Pretty good round for Austria. I'll be curious to see how the alliance with Burgundy shakes out. And Hungary? When it rains, it pours, it seems...

Good stuff.

Blobbing up nicely, I see. :D

Good luck back with Hungary.

Capibara - I'm going to extend the turns to 7 years from 1515 to see if I can finish the wars I start.

tthf - I agree, but I think Austria is powerful enough now to cope with being dragged into Burgundy's wars, as long as Burgundy is on our side.

Lord Durham - Hungary is being very unlucky with this unending peasants' war, let's hope things improve in the next turn.

coz1 - I expect some annexations next turn, the big white blob is unstoppable now :D

Hungary 1510-4

ah1510a.jpg

Yes, the peasants' war is still there. Rebels are still there. Inflation 16.5%. Stability -1. At least Hungary is not at war, there is no war exhaustion this time and Poland is again an ally.

With so little money the only thing I can do this turn is keep on recovering stability and try to bolster relations with Bulgaria sending small gifts.

On the other side Austria manages to attack Sicily and get a province off them in less than two months, surely they must have assaulted the fort.

ah1510b.jpg

In 1512 I get another chance to embrace the HRE and 200 relations with Austria, let's see if the AI keeps on the same direction (previously it chose 'Stay neutral' on two occasions).

ah1512a.jpg

More good news, Western Arms Trade is a nice help to land tech. I notice that I can already change to new regiment types (the AI didn't bother), so I switch to Azab Infantry and Timariot Cavalry.

ah1512b.jpg

At the end of 1512 Aragon finally gives up Roma and Romagna, great! :) In the next two years Austria annexes Savoy and Milan, Italy is now totally secured.

ah1512c.jpg

By the end of the turn I've managed to take relations with Bulgaria over 0 and get military access and a royal marriage. A little help for the next war with the OE, when it happens.

ah1514a.jpg

A less unpleasant turn than last time but still far from fun. The peasants' war is still there after more than 25 years, you'd think that by now the peasantry would have been crushed or the country would have imploded with the revolts, there should be a time limit to certain events.

Stupid bloody peasants. *shakes head* Of course, this is probably one of those self-perpetuating revolts where the peasantry rises up against some injustice, is violently suppressed only to rise up a few years later to protest their violent suppression. And so on and so on.

Hungary it's getting better, even though it's not the best still, if you want to change a little the battlefields, you could attack Bohemia, it looks like a tempting target, but's your choice, but I'm sure your great ally Corfu will be of great help :D

I'm glad your extending the turns two years, it'll be useful.

It'll likely happen just as you jump to Austria. ;)

The key to getting rid of the Peasants' War is to get stability above 0 - which of course the AI never even attempts, so the War goes on and on and on...

Nice turn with Austria, though. It looks like you can trust the AI to finish off your wars (and Burgundy will most likely drag you into wars with most everyone, so there's a lot of scope.)

a good avenue for hungarian expansion would be into Crimean territory, unless they have strong allies.

better to gain some stability and military strength before tackling the OT head on. Bhosporus Sound Toll is very handy to have.

Glad to see that Hungary is still around and not so much in decline.

Perhaps a diplo-vassalisation of Burgundy is now a step closer?