• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Austria 1790-1804

The final turn with Asutria is mostly a tidy-up exercise. Although I notice that my liberal policies with the sliders have left me with no spies whatsoever, this shoudn't be an issue with a good web of warnings.

Sure enough, it only takes a year for Burgundy to DoW and for Austria to get a stab-free, spy-free piece of the action. The Burgundians are still capable of fielding huge stacks despite their reduced territory, but of course no match for the 240K Austrian manpower pool :D They give Hainaut and release Holland.

In 1792-93 I have to deal with a war of Welsh Succession against Sweden. It's a short affair that sees Tyrone released and North Wales given back to the Welsh.

The Welsh don't get much peace after this though, they get involved in a war with Scotland and in 1796 they are DoWed by France. Luckily for them Austria is there to help them out -another stab-free, spy-free war- :D

ah1796a.jpg

France cedes the Western Isles to Wales and gives up a few cores to become an OPM.

ah1798a.jpg

On top of that I get a +3 stability great minister event, which is always nice :)

In 1797 Holland DoWs Burgundy. I gladly support them in their just cause, despite the -1 stab hit. Burgundy cedes Münster and Puerto Rico and releases Brabant. The Dutch signed an early white peace so they missed out on any reward.

As the end of the turn approaches I make sure I deal with some unfinished business. First with England, who hold the only non-Austrian province in Australia and some provinces in South America...

ah1804a.jpg

And finally with France... who costs me 3 stab points to DoW this time. But I don't care... ah, the sweet smell of annexation... :D

ah1804b.jpg

I release Brittany in their place. Now western Europe looks just like the Habsburg forefathers wanted. Well almost, I would have liked to release Friesland also, and give Anjou and Maine back to Provence, but you can't have it all -unless you are playing a WC game, then you can- :D

ah1804c.jpg

________

Hungary 1805-19

Hungary wasn't inherited in the end, but the Lithuanian overlord still got Hungary busy in plenty of wars. And some of them against same-religion nations, judging by the -2 stability the kingdom is currently enjoying :mad: Interestingly enough, there hasn't been a single Ming-Lithuanian war in the entire game.

I focus on temple building and stability recovery while I scoop some more Swahili provinces... and even the odd Timurid land...

ah1809a.jpg

In 1810 the Lithuanian king dies and the PU dissolves, although following a time honoured tradition I get a rather useless king.

ah1810a.jpg

A "Gift to the State" event increases the treasury by 500 ducats. However by the time stabilty +1 is reached in 1816 it becomes clear there is no way I can get to +2 before the end of the game, and no stability events come to the rescue :( So the capital will have to stay in Buda.

I spend the last years converting, trading and making the most of Deus Vult by DoWIng Swahili and the Timurids. Northern Swahili is fully absorbed into the empire -while Southern Swahili is reduced to an OPM by Lithuania- and even get to add rich Hormuz to my CoT collection :D

ah1819a.jpg

With hindsight I should have adopted Deus Vult much earlier in the game, it would have saved me/the AI tons of stability, the most expensive resource in the game for a large nation.

Never the less, Hungary ended the game independent from Lithuania and owner of a fine empire :)

The End

Herzliche Gratulation!
Das war ein sehr schönes Spiel und ein gutes Ende.
Frankreich annektiert und Ungarn wieder frei, und höchst unterhaltsam vom anfang bis zum Ende!

your AAR was the first i looked out for everytime i was in this forum.
I´m glad you where able to finish it!
very nice!

greetings

England is so colorful. Its always nice seeing a nation like that imploding and turning out like a starburst. Its good to see France being annexed too. And just under the time limit! :D

On Hungary: It wouldn’t be EU3 without useless kings but at least you were able to leave the PU before the game ended. Personally I hate unresolved issues especially one so big as that.

Congrats on finishing the game. Hope your next project begins soon.

Sweboy - Thanks! The British Isles are one great party, with England, Wales, Scotland, all the Irish minors plus Spain, Burgundy and Lithuania :wacko:

LuKo - Thanks!

etepetete - Thank you, glad you enjoyed it from the beginning.

NorthernFalcon - Thanks! Still catching up with your Brunswick AAR.

Brandenburg III - In the end Hungary finished as leader of a PU... with Ethiopia :rolleyes:

My next project will definitely be with IN, and it'll probably be also multi-country.

Final status post coming shortly.

The World in 1820
Empires in Figures

ah1820a.jpg

Europe, Asia, Africa. Shame Lithuania couldn't form Russia. Portugal colonised the far end of Siberia.

ah1820b.jpg

Americas. As expected Venezuela couldn't hold so many provinces.

ah1820c.jpg

The reformation wasn't very successful.

ah1820d.jpg

The HRE, on the other hand, was a huge success, thanks to Hungary and Lithuania.

ah1820e.jpg

BB was just starting to become a problem for Austria.

ah1820f.jpg

Janos the king was pretty useless, however Janos the trade minister helped a lot in securing monopolies in Thrace and Alexandria.

ah1820g.jpg

Inflation 74.2% :eek: No regrets though, the Hungarian economic policy was simple: mint or die.

ah1820h.jpg

I still can't believe the AI chose Scientific Revolution as first NI for Hungary...

ah1820i.jpg

Hungary ruled a much more diverse empire.

ah1820j.jpg

I guess in inflation-adjusted terms Hungary wouldn't be 4th in this table :rolleyes:

ah1820k.jpg

Spain did amazingly well tech-wise given the size of her empire.

ah1820l.jpg

Spain has a massive army in relation to manpower.

ah1820m.jpg

The game didn't have any epic naval battles. Fleets were frequently destroyed before they could reach insane sizes.

ah1820n.jpg

Spain did a great job colonising the New World. Hungary managed to overtake Ming.

I've gotta admit, this was a fun AAR to read! Only just getting into the AAR business, but yours has made me want to try out my own.

Thanks for that :)

Das Kaiser - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it and even got some inspiration from it. Good luck with yours!

Thanks everybody for reading and commenting, I enjoyed playing and posting a lot, and learned a lot as well. Hopefully my next AAR won't take as long to complete (but don't hold your breath!) :rolleyes:

Always nice to see someone finish an AAR, especially when it's been this interesting. Fascinating read, I can't imagine having the discipline to play like this myself - I'd get attached to one of the countries then refuse to let the AI wreck it.

Congratulations!​

Congrats on finishing this interesting AAR. I hope you have something new planned for us to read and enjoy (for yourself too of course).

PrawnStar - Thanks! Funny how every player is different. I find it refreshing switching countries, while I'd need discipline to carry out a WC.

Qorten - Thank you! I have some plans already. At the moment I'm having my first experiences with IN playing Ferrara. I like the improvements that have been introduced in IN, except the resilient rebels :mad: