• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That particular corner of Europe is great for encirclements and I suspect that you've broken (or almost broken) the back of the Austrian resistance. All you need is one more strong push... but which by general?

In hindsight though was it a mistake commissioning that large number of cavalry divisions? You might have avoided bankruptcy and still managed to win with only half the number

Looking good!

Planning to make a quick trip to Vienna after this?

Quirinus308 said:
Yea I know. But just once I’d like to not go bankrupt. Is that asking too much?

YES- it IS asking too much. It would creep me out :D!

Oh, yeah, the AAR: good moves, Austria's pitifully small army in the early game is coming back to haunt them!

Just started reading this again after three months. Great stuff. :)

Feedback

asd21593 said:
time for another race to the capital, great stuff as always! :) asd
This time perhaps it will be a two-man race
ComradeOm said:
That particular corner of Europe is great for encirclements and I suspect that you've broken (or almost broken) the back of the Austrian resistance. All you need is one more strong push... but which by general? In hindsight though was it a mistake commissioning that large number of cavalry divisions? You might have avoided bankruptcy and still managed to win with only half the number
As the old saying goes, hindsight is 20/20
RGB said:
Looking good! Planning to make a quick trip to Vienna after this?
Of course planning and making the trip are two separate issues, but yea I think a trip to Vienna is in order
DerKaiser said:
YES- it IS asking too much. It would creep me out :D!
Oh, yeah, the AAR: good moves, Austria's pitifully small army in the early game is coming back to haunt them!
Yes Austria does start off vulnerable in the early stages of the game. Once again the axiom is proven true that the AI is not equipped to handle an aggressive human player (especially early in the game)
Anduwaithe said:
Just started reading this again after three months. Great stuff. :)
Thanks, I just started writing again after three months, so we have something in common
Hastu Neon said:
Update! Update! :D
Coming
Castro said:
Coming
gis said:
Coming
TheMonkeyMon said:
Update! (And by the way, I don't see how you can be so liberal with your money. If I go further than 10000$ in debt I almost have a seizure.)
It took me a while to learn this one, but in game terms, debt is not nearly as bad as one might think. In fact it represents one of the potentially exploitable areas of the game

The Race to Wien

The Winter Push saw the first major victory by Italian forces over their Austrian oppressors. More importantly it saw both Rafaldini and Salerno within two provinces of the Austrian capital.

apr181839thesituationdy9.png

Both Rafaldini and Salerno were finishing off the Austrians at Klagenfurt in preparation for the Race to Wien. The quickest route to Wien lay through the town of Graz, which Rafaldini assumed would be where the Austrians would base most of their defenders. For that reason he gave Salerno the shortest route to Wein, while he would take the northern route through Judenburg. His hope was that Salerno would tie up the Austrian forces allowing him to perform an end around, and march into Wien unopposed. It was a good plan…

As it turned out, the stronger force was in Judenburg…

apr281839judenburgtr1.png

Of course Rafaldini still outnumbered his opponents 2 to 1. This meant his victory was inevitable, the only question was how long would it take, and could Salerno take advantage of that time.

The answer to the first question was 6 weeks.

The answer to the second question was no…

may191839grazsx2.png

Salerno lacking the extra divisions assigned to Rafaldini struggled to break the defenders at Graz. By June 26th, Rafaldini had captured Judenburg, and found the road to Wein wide open.

july261839theopenpathvr8.png

A month later he had captured the Hapsburg capital, and was prepared to receive the Austrian surrender. Unfortunately the offer was underwhelming to say the least.

peaceproposalkd7.png

Rafaldini reiterated that nothing less than the complete liberation of all Italians would be acceptable, and prepared to push the war further into the exposed Austrian heartland.

Meanwhile Salerno continued to struggle at Graz.

july301839endingsituatimb6.png

Last edited:
Nice work by Rafaldini, but Salerno should have tried harder! Lets hope the Austrians begin to get their peace deals working.

The War's Final Chapter

july301839situationgg5.png

After Rafaldini’s capture of Wien he was in a quandary as to where to go next. The Austrians were still unwilling to make any serious peace overtures, so he was forced to drive the point home. He chose as his next target, Pest-Buda.

Meanwhile Salerno continued to struggle with his capture of Graz, so additional troops were being sent to his aid. Even with the additional troops it would take Salerno 3 months to defeat the Austrians.

july301839grazjc7.png

Victory however did finally come for Salerno and Graz finally fell to the Italians in mid-September. Of course in the time Salerno spent fighting at Graz, Rafaldini had captured Judenburg, Sankt Pölten, Wien, Bratislava, Nitra, Pest-Buda, and Székesfehérvár.

oct11839situationoe7.png

Austrian resistance now centered around protecting Bohemia in the north, and recapturing Wien in the center. Fortunately the Austrians were so preoccupied with reaching Wien that they failed to notice that Rafaldini was not just galloping around the countryside, but instead was attempting to entrap the last of Austria’s armies (outside of Bohemia). He succeeded in his efforts and by November 11, 1839 he had the Austrians pinned down at Gyõr.

nov111839rafaldiniatgyowp7.png

With the victory at Gyõr, the only Austrian troops left were in Bohemia, and Salerno and Rafaldini both headed north the hopes of isolating the last of the Austrian army.

Of course the Austrians continued to press for peace, but Rafaldini called the terms they offered offensive and insulting.

sept261839austrianoffergz1.png

At this point none truly knew the depths of his ambitions for Italy, but they soon would…
Rafaldini sent his own proposal to the Austrians, but was immediately rejected, and so the war drug on.

By the end of November, Italian reinforcements from France had pinned down the main Austrian force at Budejovice.

nov281839budejovicebb5.png

The Italians were winning at Budejovice, and their cavalry had not yet arrived. Once they did, it was inevitable that the Austrian army would be annihilated, and both Rafaldini and the Austrians knew this. Rafaldini sent one final proposal before he entered the battle, and this time the Austrians accepted.

dec231839peaceatlastwt1.png

In Salerno's defense, Rafaldini has much more troops assign to him. a 3:1 ratio. Im sure the "great" Rafaldini would of had the same difficulty being evenly matched with the Austrians stats aside.

Go go Rafaldini! :) Good to see you do more updates, Qurinius -- no use in denying it any longer, I am a Quirinius groupie! Been a fan of yours since your Belgian AAR (read the Sweden AAR after that one...) and every time I read your aars I feel the need to play Vicky again. In fact, I recently ordered Revolutions, so that's even more Vicky goodness for me! :)

Rafaldini asked for all of the Italian holdings of the Habsburgs, I presume?