• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Epilogue

The Italian War of Independence officially ended on December 23,1839. The repercussions however reverberated for the next century. If the world was surprised that the French were willing to concede six provinces to the newborn Italian state, then imagine the shock at the terms finally agreed upon by the Austrians.

No longer would Italians suffer under Austrian oppression. In fact thanks to Rafaldini the reverse would now be true as Austria conceded 25 provinces to the Italians including many whose population was completely German.

dec231839italyzx1.png

Rafaldini was now a national hero, and for his efforts in the war was given the post of Prime Minister by the king. Salerno also received a promotion even though his exploits did not compare favorably to that of his mentor. Nevertheless he was promoted to Field Marshal and given the top military command in the country. In the next war it would be he, and not Rafaldini who would be positioned for glory.

The war itself cost over 400,000 lives with half of those being Italian. Nevertheless considering the advantages the French and Austrians had over Sardinia at the start of the war, it had to be considered a resounding success.

lossesbm3.png

One final note of consequence…
Following France’s humiliating defeat at the hands of the Italians, the world now considers them the greatest nation on earth. :rofl:

dec231839francemf5.png

Feedback

Middelkerke said:
Great AAR. Keep it up. Will you take the adriatic coast?
I guess by now you know the answer, but I personally thought the Austrians would be pretty reluctant to give up access to the sea in this situation. For that reason I pressed for greater gains in the Tyrol.

robou said:
Nice work by Rafaldini, but Salerno should have tried harder! Lets hope the Austrians begin to get their peace deals working.
He’s doing the best he can. :D Of course he does have 1/3 the army that Rafaldini has.

rhynoclemmis said:
Hi, good to see you continue the AAR. Just keep the Austrians occupied... he he he. Holding Vienna for a few weeks will make them giv you what you want very soon. Austria generally is a pushover, but with a so young Italy... impressive!
Thanks for your praise. In general I find any nation can be beat this early in the game (even the UK) if you just know the right approach to take.

Terraferma said:
In Salerno's defense, Rafaldini has much more troops assign to him. a 3:1 ratio. Im sure the "great" Rafaldini would of had the same difficulty being evenly matched with the Austrians stats aside.
That’s probably true, but I doubt you would here Rafaldini admit it.

safferli said:
Go go Rafaldini! :) Good to see you do more updates, Qurinius -- no use in denying it any longer, I am a Quirinius groupie! Been a fan of yours since your Belgian AAR (read the Sweden AAR after that one...) and every time I read your aars I feel the need to play Vicky again. In fact, I recently ordered Revolutions, so that's even more Vicky goodness for me! :) Rafaldini asked for all of the Italian holdings of the Habsburgs, I presume?
Thanks, that’s high praise indeed. I hope you enjoy Revolutions. Paradox did an awesome job with that one.

rhynoclemmis said:
Every rejection of the surely sensible Italian peace offers will make the terms hurt more and more. I'm afraid that once you're done with Austria, they won't be a major threat to you any more.
Let us hope you’re correct. Of course whether Austria is a threat or not will not change the bitterness the Italians feel towards them. There may yet be more wars…

robou said:
nice going, the Austrians really took a shellacking there.
Yes, I truly enjoyed giving it to the Austrians. Just don’t let rhynoclemmis know…

DerKaiser said:
Good to see an update on its way! Looking forward to it...
Thanks, now I’m trying to get caught up on yours,

The Great Duck said:
Looks good.And what was that AAR people were talkng about?
It was from my WW1 AAR (see link in my sig). Somewhere in the middle I fought and lost a series of battles at Bergamo. It really was quite frustrating to say the least.

Nice! An excellent result in a difficult war... What's next I wonder? A new Roman Empire would be interesting- and if you beat the French and Austrians I'm sure you could beat the Greeks and Ottomans!

Italy looks so big!

And Switzerland looks so annoying...