+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joust events

Joust events

These events are no longer being updated. To get the latest version download the latest version of Terra Nova here and copy the events from the mod/Terra Nova/events/TN Joust.txt file.

if anyone uses these events in a mod that is distributed please mention me but otherwise feel free to use them.

please post here with any fixes or improvements on these events that you think of.

things that still need work:

things that are needed to make the events work:

1. triggered_modifier.txt entry:
    Code:
    ######################################
    # Joust
    champion = {
    	trigger = {
    		has_country_flag = Joust_Champion
    	}
    	prestige = 0.05
    	land_morale = 0.05
    }
    2. *.csv entry:
    Code:
    champion;Joust Champion;;;;;;x
    desc_champion;One of our Knights has been named a Champion of a previous Jousting Event. Many Nations will remember this victory for years.;;;;;;x
    3. all VAR = {} must be modified or you need to install my Variable mini mod in my signature.
    4. the Joust_Disable flag is not needed, i use this so it can be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by my original post
    I have read what i could about the history of jousting and tournaments and started to make Joust events based on that. For a long time now i have wanted to make events for jousting but i have worried that it would not be historicly correct or plausible. I now feel after what i read that Jousting did still occur in europe until the late 1500's. Jousting was appearently at first part of Tournaments which were eventualy Banned by the Papacy and i am assuming, Catholic Monarchs. This has lead me to only allow the Joust events for European countries that are protestant, reformed, or Orthodox. These event can still happen after 1575 but will happen less.

I have finished the events that let countries host and join the Joust and then a event to start the joust. My problem is that i have no real good ideas of how to make the scoring system work in a manner that is not entirely random. The only idea i have is to give the countries with more prestige a better chance of scoring. I want any nation to have a fair chance but i also want the system to not be completely random. I think i can achieve a accurate scoring system.

Does anyone have ideas for modifiers on the scoring events? so far i have used army tradition, land/naval sliders, war, ,luck, unlucky, , year, ideas, and stability to affect the modifiers for who gets to join or host the Joust event. I may just use these modifiers again for scoring but i would like a more accurate and fair system.

i think my scoring system will have three events that will represent the three main methods of jousting (lance, axe, blunt [sword or dagger]). the more wins a nation has the better chance they have of being named the champion of the Joust event. this Champion nation will probably be given a good leader and prestige. i am not sure about the loosing nation effects. perhaps a loosing nation could have a learder die or a monarch die in the joust. maybe i will make a triggered modifier that gives land morale and army tradition to the current champion nation of the Joust until a new champion nation comes along. maybe also relations between the Joust host and the joining nations can be increased.
    Last edited by Darken; 21-12-2007 at 01:56.
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

John 8:32
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I have to say, once again, it sounds interesting but I haven't the foggiest how to help.

On the inspiration side: you could have monarchs choose to participate (or not) with the chance of earning prestige...but also a tiny chance of them dying (kill_ruler is a Godsend, but release = THIS works in the regular game). Based on a real-life king of France, though I can't recall his name offhand...
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Over 1,100 events and decisions for over 30 religions
    Wiki
    Version 1.7.08 compatible with the Res Publica expansion
    Download available (August 23, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    New mod: Path of Adventure release date: September 19

Quote Originally Posted by dharper
    I have to say, once again, it sounds interesting but I haven't the foggiest how to help.

On the inspiration side: you could have monarchs choose to participate (or not) with the chance of earning prestige...but also a tiny chance of them dying (kill_ruler is a Godsend, but release = THIS works in the regular game). Based on a real-life king of France, though I can't recall his name offhand...
    do you know how plausible it would be to allow catholics to participate in the Joust? i know you probably studied alot about the religions for your mod. thats probably what would be better, a prestige triggered modifier instead of morale. also i did read about the french monarch also so that would be cool to make also.

if i do not allow catholics then the joust will realy only happen with orthodox nations until protestant and reformed started popping up.

Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    do you know how plausible it would be to allow catholics to participate in the Joust? i know you probably studied alot about the religions for your mod. thats probably what would be better, a prestige triggered modifier instead of morale. also i did read about the french monarch also so that would be cool to make also.

if i do not allow catholics then the joust will realy only happen with orthodox nations until protestant and reformed started popping up.
    Honestly, it seems rather odd to have Orthodox jousts...it was more of a Latin/Western European thing, from what little I know. But then, you're the expert!

I'd think it should be quite possible to have Catholic jousts. The church and the pope banned all sorts of things with varying degrees of success. Poison, crossbows, fighting on any day but Wednesday or Friday...certainly there would have been reforms to it to avoid the risks of earlier centuries, and eventually it would have died out. You could probably give each country an event that keeps popping up asking if they'd like to ban jousts, give it a high chance of saying "Heck no", and gradually all of Europe will have banned it after a century or two of the game.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Wiki
    Download available (August 23, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically

Honestly, it seems rather odd to have Orthodox jousts...it was more of a Latin/Western European thing, from what little I know. But then, you're the expert!

I'd think it should be quite possible to have Catholic jousts. The church and the pope banned all sorts of things with varying degrees of success. Poison, crossbows, fighting on any day but Wednesday or Friday...certainly there would have been reforms to it to avoid the risks of earlier centuries, and eventually it would have died out. You could probably give each country an event that keeps popping up asking if they'd like to ban jousts, give it a high chance of saying "Heck no", and gradually all of Europe will have banned it after a century or two of the game.
    thanks.

well, you know more about religions than i do in this period lol. ill remove orhodox.

will kill_leader = random work to remove a leader? otherwise, how do i do it if i do not know the name?

thats a good idea about the ban. i will do that, and i will allow catholics to participate.

Monarch military skill and whether they are a leader. Also maybe army percentage or percent cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by TxJackalope
    Monarch military skill and whether they are a leader. Also maybe army percentage or percent cavalry.
    calvary is a good idea and so is military monarch skill. however, i have had some fustration understanding military size so i will not use this one. also it would not be fair to small nations. ill add the calvary and monarch modifiers.

thanks.

Victoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I would suggest to make jousts events based on cultural aspect more then religious one.

To host, or join them should be possible to every western european nation (expect Papal States) regardless of their religion but there could be also penalties such as worse relations with Papal States, prestige penalty if lost (there could be different outcomes for loss etc.) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash
    I would suggest to make jousts events based on cultural aspect more then religious one.

To host, or join them should be possible to every western european nation (expect Papal States) regardless of their religion but there could be also penalties such as worse relations with Papal States, prestige penalty if lost (there could be different outcomes for loss etc.) etc.
    thanks, i forgot to make it so the Papal state cannot enter the Joust.

right, i wanted to add relation changes but for some reason didnt think to add one for the papacy. i will do that. thank you.

all i know is that france and england were into Jousting, not sure about the rest, so thats why i went with catholic,protestant, and reformed.

Right now the average Joust takes anywhere from 1 to 3 years to complete. historicly this would only be maybe 6 months or so.

should i leave the events the way they are or change the MTTH so that a Joust is finished within 6 months on average? if it only takes 6 months of game time to announce and complete a Joust then there will be about 10 to 30 events listed in the log for this time period (depending on how many nations participate), which is quite a bit of spamming for one event chain for such a short period.

I am still ironing out the MTTH's for the Joust events but i am nearing a completed event chain and will uploaded the Event chain when i get to this point so others can use them.

i would love to be able to make wars end between nations that are participating in the joust (not always of course) but i do not think this is possible due to no peace making code.
    Last edited by Darken; 15-09-2007 at 02:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    i would love to be able to make wars end between nations that are participating in the joust (not always of course) but i do not think this is possible due to no peace making code.
    I'm not sure it would be a good idea anyway - you'd end up with situations where one ally left a war, or where a war was never resumed.

Instead, what about writing some events so that warring states at a tournament have the option to assassinate/cheat/get into a fight with their rival?
    Wiki

I'm not sure it would be a good idea anyway - you'd end up with situations where one ally left a war, or where a war was never resumed.

Instead, what about writing some events so that warring states at a tournament have the option to assassinate/cheat/get into a fight with their rival?
    good point, i did not think about this. In theory though, the AI would most likely pick this war back up eventualy or if isolated correctly i could start the war again after the joust. i do think this event should be rare but until we get the peace codes it cannot be done anyway to my knowledge.

rival events: thats another good option. i think it would be realy hard to implement a good event that singles out two participants to find out if they are at war. right now the events set flags for participants so the events could fire for those nations and then maybe limits in the options could fine tune the effects but it may end up being a bunch of options that get no effects unless a rivaling match is found. do you have any ideas?

about cheating or assasinating i think this would be easy to do randomly but i wonder what the additional triggers/modifiers would be. I suppose that badboy may be a decent modifier or trigger for cheating but i would want to find something that kind of says 'this nation is more likely to cheat to win'. maybe serfdom slider modifiers or aristocracy also? so far i have not used any of those trigger/modifiers in the event chain, especialy badboy because i wanted it to be accessable by all nations.

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

How far have you into coding this thing?

Good vibes comming out from this... I have a structure in my head, but if you are far into implementing, bad luck for me!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Perhaps write an event that a country in the joust and at war has a chance of having it's king or a military leader assasinated with modifiers like being infiltrated, having a spy advisor, efficiency, etc.

I use something similar in the cabinet system I'm doing for national idea mod, for cabinet scandals leading to governemnt collapse. I'll post it if you like.

Lucky = cheater
    Last edited by TxJackalope; 15-09-2007 at 04:35.

Quote Originally Posted by ubik
    How far have you into coding this thing?

Good vibes comming out from this... I have a structure in my head, but if you are far into implementing, bad luck for me!
    all events are done other than fine tuning the MTTHS and further testing. I may add a few more events for cheating in the joust. i am still not sure if i should change the MTTHS to days so the Joust gets done within a few months. i will probably upload the events in a few hours after i do one more round of testing.
    Last edited by Darken; 15-09-2007 at 05:24.

Perhaps write an event that a country in the joust and at war has a chance of having it's king or a military leader assasinated with modifiers like being infiltrated, having a spy advisor, efficiency, etc.

I use something similar in the cabinet system I'm doing for national idea mod, for cabinet scandals leading to governemnt collapse. I'll post it if you like.

Lucky = cheater
    lol, yes, lucky is kind of like cheating. this will most likely help me if you want to post the events here.

Well, because of having more interest in these events than i anticipated i am going to upload the events now.

if anyone uses these events in a mod that is distributed please mention me but otherwise feel free to use them.

please post here with any fixes or improvements on these events that you think of.

things that still need work:
    1. most MTTH's need adjusting other than perhaps 24900.
    2. addition of cheat or assasination events.
    3. the general effects are not tested, i have no idea yet if a general gets killed with kill_leader = random. i have focused my testing on MTTH's and event flow.

things that are needed to make the events work:

1. triggered_modifier.txt entry:
    Code:
    # Joust
    champion = {
    	trigger = {
    		has_country_flag = Joust_Champion
    	}
    	prestige = 0.05
    	land_morale = 0.05
    }
    2. *.csv entry:
    Code:
    champion;Joust Champion;;;;;;x
    desc_champion;One of our Knights has been named a Champion of a previous Jousting Event. Many Nations will remember this victory for years.;;;;;;x
    3. all VAR = {} must be modified or you need to install my Variable mini mod in my signature.
    4. the Joust_Disable flag is not needed, i use this so it can be disabled.
    Last edited by Darken; 15-09-2007 at 06:14.
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

John 8:32
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

Still tweaking but here it is. Probably going to add a has regency council with prime minister to convert to beuracratic despotism.

One of the events that can lead to a cabinet scandal

country_event = {
    id= 90037
    trigger = {
    idea = cabinet
    OR = {philosopher = 5
    statesman = 5
    treasurer = 5
    theologian = 5
    spymaster = 5
    diplomat = 5
    }
    NOT = { has_country_flag = Prime_Minister }

}
    mean_time_to_happen = {
    months = 500

modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    ADM = 6
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    advisor = statesman
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    statesman = 5
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    statesman = 6
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    NOT = { ADM = 5 }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.2
    NOT = { ADM = 3 }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    NOT = { advisor = statesman }
    }
    }
    title = "The Prime Minister"
    desc = "A Minister has accumulated a great deal of power making him the de facto head of government."

option = {
    name = "This is good for the country confirm the post"
    ai_chance = { factor = 50 }
    set_country_flag = Prime_Minister
    centralization_decentralization = -2
    }
    option = {
    name = "His power will pass with time"
    ai_chance = { factor = 50 }
    centralization_decentralization = +1
    add_country_modifier = {name = "Cabinet_Scandal" duration = 365}
    }
    }

The collapse event

country_event = {
    id= 90038
    trigger = {
    idea = cabinet
    has_country_modifier = Cabinet_Scandal
    }
    mean_time_to_happen = {
    months = 80

modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    ADM = 6
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    advisor = statesman
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    statesman = 5
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 1.1
    statesman = 6
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    NOT = { ADM = 5 }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    NOT = { ADM = 3 }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0.9
    NOT = { advisor = statesman }
    }
    }
    title = "Collapse of Government"
    desc = "Our ongoing Scandal has led our government to collapse, it will take some time to recover."

option = {
    name = "Ouch"
    ai_chance = { factor = 100 }
    stability = -1
    }
    }

The modifier

Cabinet_Scandal = {
    global_tax_modifier = -0.1
    build_cost = 0.2
    merchant_compete_chance = -0.04
    icon = 6
    }

A sample of the positive side.

Head_of_the_Admiralty = {
    trigger = {
    idea = cabinet
    NOT = {idea = grand_navy }
    advisor = naval_reformer
    }

naval_tech_cost_modifier = -0.05
    }

Lord_of_the_Admiralty = {
    trigger = {
    idea = cabinet
    idea = grand_navy
    advisor = naval_reformer
    }

naval_tech_cost_modifier = -0.05
    naval_morale = 0.05
    }
    Last edited by TxJackalope; 15-09-2007 at 06:16.

Still tweaking but here it is. Probably going to add a has regency council with prime minister to convert to beuracratic despotism.
    i think the spymaster will be a good trigger for the Joust cheat also

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Based on a real-life king of France, though I can't recall his name offhand...
    Henri II

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    On June 30, 1559, at the Place des Vosges in Paris, during a match to celebrate the Peace Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis with his longtime enemies, the Habsburgs of Austria and to celebrate the marriage of his daughter Elizabeth of Valois to King Philip II of Spain, King Henry was mortally wounded by a sliver from the shattered lance of Gabriel Montgomery, captain of the King's Scottish Guard. It penetrated the closed visor, pierced his left eye, penetrated the brain and came out via his ear. He suffered terribly, and, despite the efforts of royal surgeon Ambroise Paré, died on July 10, 1559 and was buried in a cadaver tomb in Saint Denis Basilica.
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast