• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
a Protestant Papal States, with a Pope???? a bit oxymoronic there.

but great updates.

Chapter 28: Let others deal with your revolts

So next update, still nothing much to report. But, next update or the one after that will see some more action!

First off, revolts are still a problem in the Empire. Ignoring the rebels will lead to huge armies of them walking around. No idea where the rebels can muster so many troops. They must really hate Pope Xystus VI!

revoltlanguedocch5.png

Another good harvest. As I said, once income is good I always invest the money. Not now, we need all the inflation-free money we can get our grubby paws on! 25 extra ducats for the exchequer.

goodharvestrv6.png

You thought Languedoc had many rebels? Well, Lyonnais decided it can compete and throw in even more rebels.

revoltinlyonnaissk8.png

Well the good thing about giving your neighbours military access is that they will jump to help you fight rebels! Very nice of the Burgundian king to send in some 30 to 40000 troops to help us put down the rebellion.

rebelsburlyonnaiswi3.png

Only 11000 of those nearly 60000 troops were Papal troops. The rest were courtesy of the Burgundians. The losses are ours, though. I assume the Burgundy AI gets their own message with their own losses calculated.

rebelslyonnaiskh5.png

72 Austrians decide that it's better for them to live in the Papal Empire. Who are we to turn them down?

antioquiadefectsif3.png

With our census tax in 1575 of over 550 ducats we can send our more and more missionaries. Some of them are even successful.

conversions1575vg7.png

And we employ the good old map trick to gain a core on a Burgundian province. This trick never gets old. Monarchs all over the world are fooled by it again and again!

coretucujulandiaqk1.png

In September 1575 our stability raises another level: -1! Woot!

income1575stab1bu3.png

Note Ming going rampage not only to the West, but also in all of South-East Asia.

Last picture for today (reached the ten picture limit), we are the Papal controller for the third time after we switched to Protestantism. And more rebels in Firenze. Austria is going after Bavaria. Hm, Austria is getting pretty strong and has all of those nice Protestant provinces...

papcontrollerrevoltfiregj9.png

Chapter 29: Mass Conversions

This update is short and has little to no content. Watch the years (and the conversions) pass by and wait for the action in tomorrow's update!

Conversions are rolling in. This one is in 1576.

conv1576kd6.png

But not everything is going as fine in the Congo. If the rebels event fires (4-6 times per year at our current stability and religious tolerance ratings), I usually chose to fight the rebels. That's 20-30 rebel armies, but we have enough Papal troops. But not in the Congo, only a meagre 5000 men are stationed there. So, we have no choice but to lower the taxes for the Congolese.

revoltndongodg4.png

We gain a core on Leon via the timeless map trick. Nice. Not that we need it in the near future, but nevertheless.

coreleonck4.png

New colonies are formed and colonial cities established. Up until now, we have mainly been on a "land grab", colonising a valuable province with just 100 men and then moving on to the next province. Now, we need more money so we concentrate on building up the colonial cities. We get 3.4 colonists per year, that means that we can build up three provinces. Every 9 years, 3 new provinces join our empire. Trinidad, Grao Para and Maranhao join us in 1577.

trinidadcx3.png

The conversions of 1577, we are in luck. All three succeeded (at a chance of ~66% each).

conv1577lb9.png

Conversions of 1578 also succeed, all three!

conv1578kt0.png

Well, it can't go on like this. Still, the 1579 batch of conversions is exactly the mean success chance: 1 failed, two succeeded.

conv1579ff1.png

Meanwhile, the other European powers are not idle. A formidable alliance has been forged between Aragon and Burgundy. They decide that both can benefit from attacking the French-Castillian alliance. Right they are, I'd have done the same.

warburarayz0.png

Aragon gains quite a few provinces in their peace deal, Burgundy keeps on fighting the French.

peacecasaraxx6.png

Lastly, in 1579 we arrive at stability 0! Only four more years and our stability is positive. Then we can start to think on our future gains. We are protestant and have Deus Vult, so we can attack any country in the world without a loss of stability. Any suggestions? :D

stab01579dr9.png

Thanks to our increased stability, the highest possible revolts reached a single digit number.

revoltspossibleai1.png

rcduggan said:
a Protestant Papal States, with a Pope???? a bit oxymoronic there.
Thanks for your support! Well, it is a bit oxymoronic, but not half as bad as my favorite oxymoron: "Microsoft Works" :)

Eat your tiny neighbours first and leave the big ones for a later challenge

I dont remember if this was just normal eu3 or NA, but if it's NA than try destroying HRE? And do it before they elect you as emperor...

Or just try to own every single port in the Mediterranean (is it written like that...?) Mare Nostrum, Mittelmeer, something like that.... uh

Or try to end the great schism (how is that written???) between eastern and western churches...

You have many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many choices, :rofl:

chefportnen said:
I had completely forgotten about the Orthodox Church... isn't it about time you ended four centuries worth of heresy?
Well, we just started a new few centuries worth of heresy! :cool:
Merak said:
attack aragon and make land connection between spain and italy :D
We'll need to annex Switzerland or attack Savoie for the land connection. But Aragon is certainly on the "to do" list! They are allied with Burgundy, and Burgundy still has a juicy CoT left ;)

Merak said:
are Switzerland allied with any nasty countrys? if not why not all?(Aragon, Savoie and Switzerland) :D
Patience is a virtue! :) Switzerland is our vassal, after years of backstabbing, they are finally peaceful. :cool: Once BB goes down, I might give a diploannex a try. Any suggestions?

i would just let the BB go down and prepare for one major conflict (i kind of regard all confilct as major as i kind of suck at this game) with aragorn yea i am starting to sound like a broken record but i am bored at work :)

Sorry for the lack of updates -- I have only my own laziness to blame! I have to keep you waiting for another day, but let me get some of these pictures out of the way... :) A religious map of central America.

religiousmapamericavk4.png

As you can see, it's 1580 and a large chunk of central America is following the (new) true faith: Protestantism.

Now for some customary yearly conversion spams...

conv1580qj7.png

conv1581km1.png

conv1582si7.png

conv1583be4.png

Nearly all of central America is attending Protestant churches, and the Congo and north America regions are starting to do so as well. The stage is finally set for renewed Papal expansion!

comagoosie said:
wow isn't someone the lucky missionary :D
5 out of 10 -- at a conversion chance of ~65% I've seen better. But also worse, so I won't complain :)

Chapter 30: Return to Former Papal Glories

Welcome back to the Papal Empire! After years of indecisions, the Pope (a honorary title, Xystus IV was unwilling to give up) decided it was time he fought some other guys than those boring rebels that were displeased with his rule. The time is 1582 and the world has begun to forget the warmongering past of the Papal States. Badboy is down to just over 14 points.

1582huronbbqq9.png

Papal advisors were unable to stop the delusions of grandeur, but at least could direct the Pope towards an easy target: the former vice-royalty of Huron. World opinion still belived that the Papal States had a right to these territories -- a right that would now be called upon. Also, if Xystus IV could see that the Huron are an easy target, surely sooner rather than later others would as well. Like the Brits or the Portuguese. And we don't want our Huron provinces in their hands now, do we?

dowhuronagainvs7.png

Then, the Incan king (also a former viceroy) decided that this first declaration of war in years was a sign of weakness and declared war upon the Papal Empire. What is the AI thinking?

incadowafterhuronti5.png

Well, Chimu get dragged into the war as allies of the Inca. They had forgotten, however, that a few thousand of Papal cavalry was still stationed in the Chimu capital. We were unable to get military access from the Inca and couldn't get them home. So, the war started with a 100% warscore on Chimu on day one as the Chimu had no forts in their province. We offer a peace for 50 ducats and Chimu accept. No need to annex Chimu, those 5bb points are not worth the province.

chimupay50ducatshy1.png

We now move these armies north through Inca territory, to guard our borders. I didn't plan on the Inca war. I can probably kill them easily, I'll just need to ferry more soldiers to south America. But I don't want to do that. For now, I'm content to guard the borders and grab the next white peace the Incans will offer.

retreatfromchimulb0.png

The real fighting is supposed to be in north America, those silly Incans just had a fit of megalomania. The battle of Huron is the first battle and trained Papal generals and armies are pitted against native American spears and... nothing else. Note the strong fort in Niagara, a level 2 one. The Huron provinces were built up by the Papal administration, complete with workshops, constables and forts.

niagarafallsem2.png

No matter, the fort is stormed and falls after 19 days. One important lessen learned, though: Even a 3-to-1 numerical superiority and good generals fighting against pagan troops will only just be able to storm the fort. Once we invade the Incans, we will need many more infantry units. I believe something like 30-40 thousand infantry just to storm the forts will be needed. Bother.

Then, the Incans make their first move of the war and annex the colony of Arica! Well, I certainly didn't expect that! I can't just let my troops stand at the northern borders, I'll also need to protect the southern borders. Bother again.

seizearicalb8.png

We send our troops into Incan territory, fighting them pagans as we see them. That should "incentivise" them to offer a white peace. And they can keep that Arica province, what do we care. There. A few battles is all that is needed.

wpwithincaer0.png

Ontario, the last Huron-held province falls. This took longer than expected, as we had to lay siege to the province. We simply didn't have the men and the morals to storm every Huron province.

siegeontarioea7.png

Well, annexation is the only option. Only 2BB, as we still have cores on all the provinces (including the capital).

peacehuronfq4.png

In 1584, our stability has reached the epic level of +1! We no longer concentrate on stability investments but can now invest in real technology. We have fallen a bit behind in the tech race. First of all, the Navy gets showered with money. Ah, no longer need we wait for years for our investments to bear fruits. Now, just a few months and we can see the next level of technology spread in our lands!

stab11584hc1.png

I'll end this update with a few musings on the state of the world. Here, a map of the Carribean. Aragon is colonising and are bordering the Inca. Let's hope they don't get any funny ideas.

carribaraincavi1.png

In this universe, the Austrians need not stop the Turks at the gates of Vienna. Rather, the Lithuanians need to stop the Ming -- at the gates of Nijni-Novgorod! Ming are the browninsh provinces entering Europe from the west. But the Lithuanians seem to manage to hold them off, at least there is no Lithuanian-Ming war.

lithunaiaminglz7.png

A little teaser at the end, the 3rd Papal Cavalry is boarding transports in Italy. Whither their destination?

3rdcavalryboardssn4.png

After annexing Huron, the most wise investment of our BB is to attack the Incas. But we'll need much more than 11000 cavalrymen for that! So, where will the Pope send those brave warriors to? Note that the Home Fleet (the main Papal battle fleet consisting of over 70 ships, no transports or galleys) is on the move as well!

Last edited:
holy mama what blobs in your game, and a guess you say? maybe the holy land is in trouble by ming?

and why does huron have forts do they in vanilla eu3 or is it modded in?

Merak said:
holy mama what blobs in your game, and a guess you say? maybe the holy land is in trouble by ming?
Nah, Ming don't seem to move much further, these days. I assume they are scared of Lithuania or something. :) But your guess of the Holy Land is correct-ishly... ;)

Merak said:
and why does huron have forts do they in vanilla eu3 or is it modded in?
The Huron were once part of the Papal Empire but "went native" during the first ruling years of Xystus IV "the incompetent". The Papal coffers had already paid for workshops, forts and constables in all provinces and these were not destroyed. Same with the Inca: That's a lot of provinces with level 1-2 forts all over!