+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding tradegoods

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

a hill in the capital, but not Capitol Hill.

Adding tradegoods

Is there a tutorial for adding trade goods to EU3, or some sort of guide? I want to add a couple more, but am unsure of what I need to do to.
    Played as the Loanshark of Europe, the Duchy of Flanders and then the King of France in Ultima Ratio Regnum/AAR Thread (Abandoned)
    Solo AARs:
    To Granada and Beyond: A Comprehensive History of Spain EU3, Castile, (Abandoned due to patches)
    What Nerds do with a Day Off: A 7-Player Diplomacy AAR (Abandoned)

P'dox Forum Pet Peeves: When people refer to countries as 'factions'.
    Complaints about newer games that fall entirely under the They Changed It Now It Sucks trope.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I suggest asking Gigau. He's the master of adding tradegoods!
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: Version 1.00 compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available (April 21, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dharper
    I suggest asking Gigau. He's the master of adding tradegoods!

Important note :

OK, i'll tell you exactely what i did... some might say there is another way, with fewer steps... but that i personnally never manage to have work on my end. So i prefer my slow but steady way After that, if some make other suggestions, it's up to you to see which way you prefer.

\EU3\mod\<your_mod>\gfx\interface\resources.dds :

That being said, the trickiest thing is modding the icons.

For the graphic part, i suggest downloading DDS_Converter_2. After installing it and opening it, convert \EU3\gfx\interface\resources.dds to a psd format.

A flaw in my plan is that the program converts back to dds files only if they have a power of 2 size. So you'l have to resize the work zone to 2048x64. This will limit the total number of trade goods to 32 (not counting those you could add without icons).

So now you can add your 32 icons in your 2048x64 files.
    When you have drawn them, remember to check the alpha channel : the areas covered by your icons must be white, and the rest must be black (different shades of grey being authorized)

After saving, you can convert it back to a dds file. Remeber to put it in a \EU3\mod\<your_mod>\gfx\interface\ directory.

\EU3\mod\<your_mod>\interface\provincepanel.gfx :

Open the \eu3\interface\provincepanel.gfx with a program like NotePad.

Find :
    Code:
    	spriteType = {
    		name = "GFX_resource_icon"
    		texturefile = "gfx\\Interface\\resources.tga"
    		noOfFrames = 20
    		loadType = "INGAME"
    		norefcount = yes
    	}
    and change it with :
    Code:
    	spriteType = {
    		texturefile = "mod\\<your_mod>\\gfx\\Interface\\resources.tga"
    		noOfFrames = 32
    		loadType = "INGAME"
    		norefcount = yes
    	}
    Save it in your \eu3\mod\interface\ directory

Suggestion :

At this point, i suggest you load the game with your mod to check if the icons display properly. When i say properly, right here, i don't mean the icon being related to the resource (we will see that in an instant), rather :
    • do you see the icons or does the place remain blank ?
    • are the icons distorted or ok ?

If all is well, let's move on to the next step....

\EU3\mod\<your_mod>\common\tradegoods.txt :

Open \eu3\common\tradegoods.txt with a program like NotePad.

You'll see sections like this
    Code:
    grain = {
    	base_price = 5

#demands
    	min_demand = 0.5
    	war = 0.01

shipyard = 0.01
    	regimental_camp = 0.01
    	refinery = 0.01
    	wharf = 0.01
    	weapons = 0.01
    	textile = 0.01
    	fine_arts_academy = 0.01
    	university = 0.01
    	color = { 0.7 0.7 0 }
    }
    1. In green, the name of the good. No space allowed. If you want more than one word name, replave spaces by "_"
    2. In yellow, the base price of the product. You can set it to zero, but then of course, your product will never be worth anything
    3. In orange, not sure what that's for
    4. the remaining in white are factors (war, buildings) that have an effect on demand and therefore on the price of the good.
    5. There is a "goldtype = yes" option. Then the prices are based on mine-value instead of supply/demand and baseprice. Also creates gold-inflation.
    6. Also, there is "plantation = yes", a special categories for demand calculations.

An important note : set the order of your goods the same as in your resources.dds files.

\EU3\mod\<your_mod>\localization\<file_name>.csv :

As for anything displayed in game, you need to have entries in a localization file. Use a file you have for your mod, or for starters, you can add it to another existing csv file, that you save in your \eu3\mod\<your_mod>\localization\ directory.

For each good, you must have something like this :
    Code:
    wax;Apiculture;Apiculture;Apiculture;Apiculture;Apiculture;Apiculture;Apiculture;x
    waxDESC;Beekeeping (or apiculture, from Latin apis, a bee) is the practice of intentional maintenance of honey bee colonies, commonly in hives, by humans. A beekeeper (or apiarist) keeps bees in order to collect and trade honey and beeswax;L'apicultureBeekeeping (du latin apis, l'abeille) est le fait de maintenir des colonies d'abeille par des Hommes. Un apiculteur ιlθve les abeilles afin de collecter et faire commerce le miel et la cire.;;;;;;x
    In the first column, you must have the good name as in the tradegoods.txt file. In the following ones, how you want it displayed in game. First column is for setting in english, second in french,...

The second line (here waxDESC) is to add a description for your resource, when you hover the mouse of the resource, in game

[Note : the number of columns is different Nappy localization files]

Province history files :

Last but not least, to have your new goods displayed, you need to add the resource in province history files, on a line like this :
    Code:
    trade_goods = grain

I think that's about it. I hope i have forgotten nothing.

Good luck

EDIT : for an example, i uploaded the files extracted from MEIOU, adding 12 new resources... see post #10
    Last edited by gigau; 09-09-2007 at 18:15. Reason: Typos and forgotten infos
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Auretus Ornithorhynchus anatinus, in hoc signo vinces. In honorem Paradox! •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thank you for your help. I'll try it tomorrow morning.
    Played as the Loanshark of Europe, the Duchy of Flanders and then the King of France in Ultima Ratio Regnum/AAR Thread (Abandoned)
    Solo AARs:
    To Granada and Beyond: A Comprehensive History of Spain EU3, Castile, (Abandoned due to patches)

Complaints about newer games that fall entirely under the They Changed It Now It Sucks trope.

80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcoxchar
    Thank you for your help. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

At your service. If you need more informations, just ask. I'll try to help you.
    Last edited by gigau; 09-09-2007 at 18:13.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Yay, I just tested it and it works! Thank you gigau.
    Solo AARs:

Very nice explanation of your method! Thank you gigau! As an aside, I am always looking for a standardized listing of all modifications, etc. Any chance the MOD community has one already established for trade goods? It would definitely be much more efficient to piggy-back off of such a list/resource of pre-existing work if such a list already existed with the relevant information.

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJ
    Very nice explanation of your method! Thank you gigau! As an aside, I am always looking for a standardized listing of all modifications, etc. Any chance the MOD community has one already established for trade goods? It would definitely be much more efficient to piggy-back off of such a list/resource of pre-existing work if such a list already existed with the relevant information.
    Pick it in my mod. When i have time, i'll try to upload here a resources "micro-patch" if you want.
    Last edited by gigau; 09-09-2007 at 18:13.
    •

Quote Originally Posted by gigau
    Pick it in my mod. When i have time, i'll try to upload here a resources "micro-patch" if you want.

Definitely post it! I was hoping to see some cooperation between all parties interested in modding trade goods though, perhaps we could use your work as the basis for a new "Trade Goods" resource thread we all could borrow from and add to?

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Here are the tradegoods from MEIOU. As i am currently adapting MEIOU for Napoleon's Ambition, i'm not going to do much more on that for now. But later on, i plan on making better icons, at least for some.

Be aware : you need to adapt it, it won't work as it is. You need to include it in a mod folder. After that, you need to edit the provincepanel.gfx to point towards your graphics file (like i explained in the "how-to-do-it" post).

You can use it freely. If you include it in an uploaded mod, please give me credit

Here are the icons :

Here is the list of the goods (added the word used in the localisation file) :
    1. Wheat (grain)
    2. Millet (millet)
    3. Rice (rice)
    4. Maize (maize)
    5. Wine (wine)
    6. Apiculture (wax)
    7. Wool (wool)
    8. Linen (cloth)
    9. Silk (silk)
    10. Hemp (hemp)
    11. Gold (gold)
    12. Gems (gems)
    13. Iron (iron)
    14. Copper (copper)
    15. Ammunitions (lead)
    16. Lumber (naval_supplies)
    17. Fish (fish)
    18. Fur (fur)
    19. Salt (salt)
    20. Slaves (slaves)
    21. Ivory (ivory)
    22. Tea (tea)
    23. Chinaware (chinaware)
    24. Cinnamon (cinnamon)
    25. Clove (clove)
    26. Pepper (spices)
    27. Coffee (coffee)
    28. Cotton (cotton)
    29. Sugar (sugar)
    30. Tobacco (tobacco)
    31. Opium (opium)
    32. Glassware (glassware)
    33. Crops (crops) - no icon, no production

Download link
    Last edited by gigau; 09-09-2007 at 18:12.
    •

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

Be aware : you need to adapt it, it won't work as it is. You need to include it in a mod folder. After that, you need to edit the provincepanel.gfx to point towards your graphics file (like i explained in the "how-to-do-it" post).
    Why haven't you included provincepanel.gfx as well?
    Otherwise - a great addition to vanilla until you give us a full release!

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmajOgnjeniVuk
    Why haven't you included provincepanel.gfx as well?
    Otherwise - a great addition to vanilla until you give us a full release!

The provincepanel.gfx is included... but it currently points out to MEIOU like this :
    Code:
    	spriteType = {
    		texturefile = "mod\\MEIOU\\gfx\\Interface\\resources.tga"
    		noOfFrames = 32
    		loadType = "INGAME"
    		norefcount = yes
    	}
    You need to change the green part to point to your own mod folder
    •

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

The provincepanel.gfx is included... but it currently points out to MEIOU like this :
    I didn't look into the .zip, and understood that I have to change vanilla's file...
    You need to change the green part to point to your own mod folder
    And also to change province goods in the history files, right?

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmajOgnjeniVuk
    And also to change province goods in the history files, right?

Right, i forgot to add that this doesn't change anything to your current resource display. Next step, that you need to do yourself , is to edit the province history files to give a new resource (as i explained in the "how-to-do-it" post of this thread)
    •

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Updated post #10... the graphics wouldn't worked : had forgotten to edit the alpha channel

and no one noticed
    •

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Updated the icons in post #10 to display those included in the dowload
    •

Sticky Please

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    At least, i think a link should be added in the "How-to-do-guide" stickied thread
    •

80 games registered

Blog Entries
    Important information :
    I've discovered that if, in the \common\tradegoods.txt, you add more goods than the number of icons you made, you'll go back to the first ones ; if you have 34 goods and 32 icons, the 34th good will use the icon number 2.

So if you make icons that can be used several times, it increases the number of goods you can implement...
    •

this guide was very useful and your discovery has allowed me to have 43 resources many i have stolen from you gigau, thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast