• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
General_BT said:
He’d then made contact with a personal friend of his, an upstanding merchant and regular scoundrel named Theophylaktos Batazces,

A Batatzes a scoundrel!? Comnenian swine!!! :mad:

Besides egregious slights such as those (expect a flotilla on the horizon before the next full moon), another superb update. :p

General_BT said:
It’d started with his arrival in Tangiers, almost two weeks before, with an immense beard and under the alias Georgios Donauri.

Was I the only one who read this and thought:

Mehtar showed up with a fake girlfriend?

*sings*
Oh-oh I wish you could meet my girlfriend,
my girlfriend who lives in Granada.
She couldn't be sweeter, I wish you could meet 'er,
my girlfriend who lives in Granada.

Last edited:
Mehtar is naive if he thinks people will buy this as an "accident"

Heads are going to roll.

Estonianzulu: I agree. For the plan to work Methar should have taken care of Taifun as well. I wonder what Basil might do when he finds out who killed his son and somewhat I have the feeling that Thomas wouldn't hesitate to murder a second brother if it gains him the purple.

Anyway a very skillful and a atmospheric update General!

~Lord Valentine~

Avalanchemike said:
DAVID! *Fist clench at sky*

haha , I can see Basil now : I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy...

Hi everyone! First, I'd like to say congratulations to AlexanderPrimus, for becoming the new CharacterWritAAR of the Week for his work on Chronicles of the Golden Cross! It's a truly wonderful story, with all the things that makes a CK AAR warm and fuzzy - honor, glory, and good old fashioned feudal backstabbing!

Secondly, I'm going to try again to start doing homages to other CK AARs - lately it hasn't happened much, and I want to start doing this again, because there are numerous AARs here that deserve such praise. So hopefully, next update, will be the first that happens.

Thirdly, a little bit of what actually happened IN GAME that led up to this. I had been happily playing, my two eldest and able sons with large Kingdoms (Heraklios was still a child, and I wasn't hedging things on him in game because I didn't know what his stats would be... if they turned out well, I was going to hand him Egypt to give him seniority in the succession), when I decided to check and see how David was doing... and suddenly found 2 year old Alexios! I have no idea how David died (I think he got the illness trait), but it was at the age of 21.

:(

So, considering some of the later events that happen with Thomas, it just made sense that he was deviously murdered in some plot to keep him from the throne. He was the eldest and overall the most capable. Considering Thomas's jealous traits, etc. the overall narrative structure of a sibling rivalry gone bad just flowed out. All that was left was figuring out the details...

Finally, the main reason the last update was so delayed has finally appeared - my entry into the Timelines Interseason Special, describing the coronation of the King of Spain as BYzantine Emperor after the reconquest of Constantinople in 1642. If you want a feel for the actual Byzantine coronation ceremony, I've found a copy of Constantine VII's text on court etiquette here . I'm sure our resident Byzantinophiles will find it interesting - I tried to use as much of it as a could describing how a monarch 200 years after the end of Byzantium might have crowned himself... and the reaction of the local population...

canonized - I am definitely not a very good geek... that Star Trek joke sailed over my head. XD

Carach - If Basil ever finds out about it, yes... or if Sophie and Rodrigo find out and decide to act independently. That said, Mehtar has two things going for him - his 24 intrigue, and he's best friends with a powerful lord (who happens to be the Emperor's son)...

Lord Valentine - I think it'd depend on the intelligence. Basil's instinct is not to conduct the dark and dirty side of being Emperor - but I'd see him telling Sophie "do something, don't tell me what" if he found out about just Mehtar. Now, if he found out Thomas ordered Mehtar to do this - I don't know what his reaction would be. I doubt he's physically capable of executing one of his sons. Thomas, on the other hand, has already had one brother murdered...

Estonianzulu - Sure... snakes bite their victims four or five times! :p Taifun knows David was poisoned earlier, and he'd try to find evidence to connect Mehtar to the assassination. Things are about to get interesting...

asd21593 - Considering Mehtar seems to have learned from some earlier operational errors, that might be quite a while, assuming he's not lured to his death through his love of Thomas...

Antoku - I don't follow... That sounds like the type of ruse he'd use to cover himself though, considering how well known, if not publicly discussed, his preferences are...

Avalanchemike - So right now, all that stands between Thomas and the throne is indolent Manuel and 11 year old Heraklios... unless the Empire turns to another branch of the Komnenoi to rule...

TC Pilot - :rofl: There indeed was a temporal shift, and a few of your Comnenoi came over and spoke to my Komnenoi. Don't worry, the Batatzes dynasty has a noble wing of the family as well, and they end up very well off...

AlexanderPrimus - Ever what would happen if an incompetent, vengeful gloryhound ever rose to the Imperial throne? Unless Sophie, Basil, and young Heraklios manage something quick, thats the trajectory things are headed...

phargle - The scene itself was rather hard to write, mostly from trying to figure out how the two principals would move about, and how exactly Mehtar would best David, in reverse of what happened before. It took alot of brainstorming to figure it out, and to be honest, I'm still not pleased with how it ended up. Its decent, in my mind, mind you, but... chalk it up to author's perfectionism. :)

Things are look even more unstable in Byzantium! Fuzzled succession laws, murder, and I hoped Basil would usher in a new age for Romanion!

You killed David!!

(He's my namesake and I was damn well rooting for him!! )

May Mehtar get an excruciatingly painful death. And before he dies he shall realize that Thomas never loved him. :(

Emotionality aside, what's the status of Spain in-game? You mentioned you created the "exarchs" as kings in Spain? Is there really one to oversee them all, or is it a bunch of independent kingdoms?

General_BT said:
canonized - I am definitely not a very good geek... that Star Trek joke sailed over my head. XD

This video may clarify a bit. :)

By the way, Captain Kirk's Klingon-murdered son was named David.

Antoku said:
I assume that the beard in the post referred to facial hair, but when I first saw it I thought of its secondary meaning.
I guess in the end I *was* the only one who thought of that. Ah well. Too much Avenue Q.

Great (or should that be twisted) minds think alike. I was thinking the exact same thing but my beard reference came from joey

Scotticus & Antoku - *slaps forehead* I actually completely forgot about that little connotation... :rofl:

Enewald - You just want anarchy before the time comes for you to yell that line of yours... ;)

AlexanderPrimus & canonized - I get it now... I've never seen Star Trek VI, so thats why I never got the line...

Leviathan07 - David is dead... and it looks like there's no Solomon to take the reins... as for Mehtar's death, I'll just say it will likely surprise you (and everyone).

As for Spain, at the present, its broken up into five Exarchates along the following lines:

spanishkingdomscopy.jpg

The next update is about a quarter way done... I'm going to post a teaser tomorrow or Sunday between now and the next official update. For the first time, we'll get to see some events from Heraklios' perspective! For now, though, I have the last section of the character summaries up below. The Fifth Generation is massive - and my guess is the Sixth Generation, while small now, will grow as it matures and more characters are added to the tale...

The Fifth Generation
fifthgeneration.png

Basilieos Komnenos – Called “the Magnificent.” Prince of Apulia and Calabria from 1157 till 1167, then co-Emperor from 1167-1169, sole Emperor from 1169 onwards. Arguably the greatest military mind ever produced by the Romanoi – victorious in the Syrian Campaign (1164-1167), Almeria Campaign (1170-1172), Toledo Campaign (1173-1177), the Moroccan/Italian Campaigns (1179-1186), and the Cuman Campaign (1188). Brave, chivalrous, kindhearted, antithesis of most Roman rulers. Created the Spanish hyperexarchate. Increasingly ill, fraught with succession problems.

Demetrios Komnenos “Koutsos” – Older brother of Basilieos Komnenos, Prince of Kappadokia. A hunchback with a slur, was never considered for imperial succession. Brilliant, loyal, often serves as Basil’s regent while the Emperor is away on campaign. Was Kaisar from Basil’s sole Emperorship in 1169 to 1186.

Sophie Komnenos – Daughter of Theodoros Komnenos, and wife of Basil Komnenos. Intelligent girl, inclined towards the darker arts of statecraft – often did “dirty work” necessary for Basil’s rule, even over the Emperor’s objections. Totally and wholly loyal to her husband.

Leo Komnenos – Basil’s younger brother, Prince of Apulia, Calabria and Salerno. Dubious loyalty at best, known to have taken French coin in the past. Rather incapable administrator.

Rodrigo Jimenez – One of Basil’s best friends from childhood, son of exiled Spanish nobility, acted often as an Imperial spy. Notorious lecher. Loyal. Tapped by Basil to become hyperexarch of Spain. Dallied with Empress Sophie, thus father to the secret bastard Heraklios Komnenos.

Alexandros Thrakesios – Childhood friend of Basil, son of disgraced Romanos Thrakesios. Became a well known commander in the Roman army. Married Basil’s sister, father of Basil’s nephew Romanos Thrakesios. Died in the horrific Battle of Menorca.

Enguerrand Komnenos – Basil’s youngest brother. Skilled diplomat, became first Exarch in Spain. Has grand ideas of his place in Roman politics, jealous that Rodrigo became hyperexarch. Has been known to take French coin.

Clemente Kosaca – Prince of Kairouan, Megos Domestikos and outside of Basil, one of the most formidable military commanders in Roman history. Basil’s second in command for most of the Spanish campaigns – named Megos Domestikos. Head of the army faction at court. Daughter Sophia was married to Thomas Komnenos, but was murdered by Mehtar Lainez.

Sultan Sulieman Arslan – Emir of Esfahan from 1141-1152, Sultan of the Seljuk Empire from 1152 on. Brilliant commander, chivalrous, launched the most devastating Turkish attack on Romanion since the days of Alp Arslan. Managed to penetrate as far as the Marmara, camped within sight of Konstantinopolis. Made peace for a paltry sum of land, on belief that a greater enemy was coming from the east. Has kept the peace since.

Drogo Capet – King of France from 1155 onwards. Has aspirations for rebuilding Charlemagne’s Empire. Noted plotter, had designs on Spain, Italy and Germany. Set up enormous spy network across Europe to carry out his plans. Outwitted King Richard of England, and now has set his son Louis on the English throne. Temporarily thwarted by the Roman Emperor during the Moroccan/Italian War. Suffered a poisoning attempted by his eldest son at Roman encouraging. Now sends coin to discontents within the Roman Empire in an effort to weaken it.

Richard de Normandie – King of England from 1163 until 1176. After Basil of Romanion, arguably the greatest commander in Christendom. Eagerly joined the Papal Crusade called for Spain, cooperated well with Romanoi plans. Undercut by Drogo, abandoned Crusade to attack the French King. Killed in Battle in 1176.

Heinrich VI Arpad – King of the Germans, Emperor of the West. Styles himself a diplomat and a plotter, but not in the league of Drogo. Outmanuevered by the French King while on Crusade, was forced to return home to deal with numerous noble rebellions. Barely has control over his realm.

Knud Knytling – Irascible, ancient King of the Danes. Has a sharp tongue and sword for anyone who annoys him – especially Boleslav of Poland.

Boleslav Premyslid – Rather dimwitted King of Poland. Eternal enemy of Knud Knytling. Their rivalry prevented them from going on the Crusade.

Magnus Knytling – King of Sweden, secretly sent 200 longships to Majorca, launching the first strike of the Crusade and given Sweden a Mediterranean toehold.

Lord Amalric – Distant cousin of Drogo, French ambassador to Konstantinopolis and center of Drogo’s spy ring there. Attempted to use one of his agents to subvert the Romans, instead was assassinated on orders of Empress Sophie.

Brunhilde von Oesengaarde – Double agent, working for the Romans but secretly giving information to the French. Was milked by Rodrigo Jimenez for information on her spy networks, then tossed aside when her usefulness was up. Her information led to the assassination of Amalric.

The Sixth Generation
sixthgeneration.png

David Komnenos – Eldest son of Basil Komnenos. Excellent strategist, smart politician, was regarded by many as the most capable of his older sons. However, had a long vengeful streak, and like his grandfather, had a inclination to poison. Led the relief force that saved the Emperor in Spain in 1184, was named Kaisar and Exarch of Mauretania. Married Alienor Capet, daughter of King Drogo, and had one son, Alexios Komnenos. Was assassinated by Mehtar Lainez, on orders of his brother, Thomas Komnenos.

Manuel Komnenos – Second eldest son of Basil, Prince of Tangiers. Indolent, lazy, and hedonistic, never considered a serious contender for the throne. Resents all of his brothers, but is too lazy to do much about them.

Thomas Komnenos – Third eldest son of Basil, formidable warrior, if not so formidable commander. Proud, vengeful, with a ferocious temper. Worships the ancient ideas of what it meant to be Roman, and loud advocate of retaking Rome. Named Exarch of Tarraconensis. Married Sophia Komnenos, who was then murdered. Thomas blamed David, and ordered his best friend and spymaster Mehtar Lainez to kill David.

Heraklios Komnenos – Fourth son of Basil Komnenos. Still a boy, shows little inclination for things military, but is has a sharp mind for things scholarly and statesmanlike. After infighting between elder sons, was named in Basil’s will as senior-Emperor, with David as junior.

Romanos Thrakesios – Son of Alexandros Thrakesios, nephew of the Emperor, named Exarch of Baetica. Still a young man, easily led around by Hyperexarch Rodrigo Jimenez.

Mehtar Lainez – Son of Strategos Gregor Lainez. Secretly in love with his best friend, Thomas Komnenos. Taken at a young age into the Imperial Hand at Sophie Komnenos’ insistence, trained in art of sabotage and assassination. Became unearthly at these skills, became Sophie’s personal “assistant,” later Spymaster for Exarchate of Tarraconensis. Had a personal feud with David. Witnessed Thomas and his wife making love, became enraged and killed her, before claiming before Thomas he had evidence linking David to the assassination. Assassinated David Komnenos on Thomas’ orders.

Murad Arslan – Son of Sulieman Arslan, and presumed heir to the Seljuk Empire. Was an aggressive young man during the Syrian campaign, since has had time and experience to hone his skills and tone down his arrogance.

Alienor Capet – Daughter of Drogo Capet, wife of the now dead David Komnenos. Was immediately shunned by her husband on her arrival. Gave birth to son Alexios – second in line to the French throne, as well as the Roman throne. Fiercely protective of her child.

Louis Capet – Son of Drogo Capet, King of England. Was to succeed to his father’s Empire, but has shown himself weak willed and easily persuaded – the Roman offer of a title persuaded him to attempt to kill his father. Still sits in confinement, despite being Drogo’s heir.

Well, that sums the viper's nest up quite nicely.

Onto new intrigues and conquests!