• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
General_BT said:
In honor of this... as well as the one year anniversary of the AAR starting (as well as at AlexanderPrimus' insistence :D )

:rofl: Come now, you make it sound like I forced your hand. :p

It looks really great so far, my friend. But then, everything about this AAR is great. :D

I'm excited for the next couple of updates - something's got to give soon in that dynastic conflict of yours.

And now for some more proper replies... and a little teaser of what is to come...

Enewald - No, I'm pretty sure Demetrios is lighter than the Sultan... the darkness comes from his face being in shadow and the way the "fresco" function in Photoshop decided to alter his face. :rofl: And yes, one day, the Komnenid Empire will end... how soon will its "end" be?

Lord Valentine - Read again? All the way from the beginning? I don't think I've done that in one sitting (hence my unfailing certainty that I've forgotten some major characters somewhere in here... as for the castration and tonsuring - that just hasn't been the style of many of the antagonists in this story...

Actinguy - Once again, thank you for the honor. With your writing accomplishments you've truly deserved it as well!

asd21593 - Indeed, you do! :) But...

The_Archduke - You get a half brownie point for getting the right answer! Half brownie because I had to spot you a letter... but yes, Basil has leukemia...

Fulcumvale - A Byzantine government in Byzantium is a development a true Byzantinophile would go Byzonkers over! (Okay, I made the last word up... :rofl: )

Deamon - If I can get my old laptop to start running again, I might upload the files for the Empire from Demetrios' time...

Delex - Well, if Thomas were to become Emperor, remember, he has an obsession about regaining Rome, and turning Romanion into a truly "Roman" Empire...

And now, for the promised teaser... here's a little clip that I'm going to be using to describe some future event. asd, Enewald, and the others who love to yell the name of Captain Kirk's nemesis will really appreciate this little teaser! :D Enjoy!

Enewald said:
I have no idea what that teaser is... :wacko:

Some random music for me.

Or did somebody mention Khaaaaaaaaaaan in it? :D
As a Trekie I jump at any possibility to yell KHAAAAAAAN!. So General_BT you should brace yourself for a lot of this once the Mongols hit Europe. :p

And where the said "byzantine" ways of deposing an emperor (or potential usurper) are concerned I am optimistic that they will come into use during the succession crisis that will undoubtedly follow Basil's death. :D

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
my favorite part of all your writing is the character development general,i mean lets look back on demetrios or basil or nikolaios,the character change went so smoothly i never noticed but the people are completely diffrent at the end.and personally i think the new alexios komnenos will be emperor.

Status update!

First, the main update is about 25% done... the good news is the interseasonal special I'm doing for Timelines is finished and sent in, so I'll be able to devote my free time now to working on the update properly. :) I'll post a link to my contribution here when it goes up - it is definitely Byzantine themed, so stay tuned!

Second, I've also updated the character lists... at the end of this post I'll have the updated generations, as well as in the original character post too.

But first, some more replies:

Avalanchemike - Why do you want to display your rage?

Servius Magnus - Alexios would be appropriate, considering so far this is a Komnenid AAR that is missing an Emperor Alexios Komnenos. However, he's less than a year old, and his father is ahead of him in succession, so in the near future, not likely to happen.

asd21593 - Thank AP... he came up with it!

phargle - Thank you... :) The hardest part has been finding actor portraits for the characters that didn't have one before... I want a good portrait, but at the same time if that actor has numerous other useful pics, I don't want to waste them on a character that's already been seen. Its a balancing act.

Lord Valentine - Mongols? Succession Crisis? Nah!

And yes, I'm fully prepared for people even posting links to that infamous Youtube video... :p

Enewald - It's nice and ominous isn't it... perfect for seeing an enormous cloud of dust on the horizon, and not knowing what demons are sweeping across the steppe...

And, as promised, the next two generations:

The Third Generation
thirdgenerationcopy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Nikolaios Komnenos, Michael Komnenos, Christophoros Komnenos, Georgios Komnenos, Ignatios Komnenos, Edmund de Normandie, Siddiqa Mazin, Ioannis Thrakesios, Romanos Thrakesios, Andronikos Dukas, Berthe Capet, Patriarch Anathasios, Godfrey of Salerno.

Nikolaios Komnenos – Eldest legitimate son of the Megas (3rd overall), reigned as co-Emperor alongside his father from 1109-1135, and sole Emperor from 1135-1141. Scholar and academic, extremely intelligent. Lover of Ioannis Thrakesios, never fathered any legitimate children. Wrote the Demetriad, Nikolaid, and Lessons to the Prince. Was killed in battle against his brother Christophoros during the Brother’s War of 1141.

Michael Komnenos – Eldest son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Fought alongside his father during the First Seljuk War. Was named Kaisar in 1105, only to be assassinated on his way to consecration by the hashashin. Was only 19.

Christophoros Komnenos – Second eldest son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Was legitimized, served as Megos Domestikos from 1108 till 1141. Prince of Chaldea and Coloneia from 1133-1141. Ousted his brother Nikolaios after the Battle of Carthage, only to be assassinated by his younger brother Manuel in 1141, before he could be crowned Emperor.

Georgios Komnenos – Fourth eldest son of the Megas, also illegitimate. Drunken lout, inclined to wenching, few admirable skills as a ruler. Became comes of Syrte and Senoussi. Was murdered by persons unknown in 1139.

Ignatios Komnenos – Fifth eldest son of the Megas, a bastard by the Imperial Spymistress, Siddiqa Mazin. Was the center of a plot in 1120 to usurp the throne from the Nikolaios and install her son as co-Emperor to the Megas. Fled from politics into the church, became Metropolitan of Trebizond in 1133, later became Patriarch in 1159. Informed Emperor Manuel of Zeno’s plot to kill Sophie in 1166.

Edmund de Normandie – Third son of King Robert of England, Duke of Hampshire. Part of original Crusader invasion of Egypt, established himself as Prince of Alexandria. Aided the Megas during the First Seljuk War. Felt encroached upon by the Empire, declared himself King of Egypt in 1141. Was killed in battle by the troops of Manuel Komnenos shortly thereafter.

Siddiqa Mazin – Spymistress to the Megas from 1108 till 1122. Mother of Ignatios Komnenos, plotted to usurp the throne from Nikolaios and install her son as co-Emperor. Plot disintegrated when the Dukas brothers broke from plan. Fled to Aswan, was later captured and killed by Manuel Komnenos in 1140.

Ioannis Thrakesios – Eldest son of Isaakios Thrakesios. Was friend, later lover, of Nikolaios Komnenos. Became a strategos in his own right. After word of his affair with Nikolaios went public, led campaign in Aswan after Siddiqa Mazin, was killed in battle in 1122.

Romanos Thrakesios – Second son of Isaakios Thrakesios, became Prince of Bosnia on his father’s death. Became Megas Doux and commander of the Imperial fleet. Blackmailed by Manuel Komnenos into sending ships to help Christophoros’ revolt, allowing the former to defeat Nikolaios. After Manuel rose to the throne, was stripped of his titles.

Andronikos Dukas – First cousin of Emperor Michael Dukas, was centerpiece of Siddiqa Mazin’s plot to unseat Nikolaios Komnenos. His troops failed to march as planned, tipping the Emperors off.

Berthe Capet – Third wife of the Megas, mother of Manuel Komnenos, Demetrios Nearos, and Etiennette Komnenos. Her marriage sealed the fate of Siddiqa’s plots to have her son placed on the throne.

Patriarch Anastasios – Priest from Amorion, became Patriarch in 1117. Was a central part of Siddiqa’s plot to overthrow Nikolaios, but kept himself removed enough that he could not be prosecuted. Sided with Christophoros in War of Brothers, was assassinated by Manuel Komnenos the same night Christophoros Komnenos was killed.

Godfrey of Salerno – Duke of Salerno, brother of Bohemond, King of Sicily. Wanted his insane brother’s title for himself, sent his daughter Basiliea to seduce Emperor Manuel to accomplish this. Died when Imperial troops stormed Salerno in 1157 on their march towards Rome.

The Fourth Generation
fourthgeneration.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Manuel Komnenos, Romanos Komnenos, Demetrios Komnenos “Nearos,” Malhaz Komnenos, Zeno Komnenos, Theodoros Komnenos, Kosmas Komnenos, Ioannis Vataczes, Guiseppe Rimini, Innocent II, Basiliea de Hauteville, Hermann Arpad.

Manuel Komnenos – Seventh son of the Megas, was Prince of Aswan from 1137-1141, and Emperor from 1141-1169. Noted plotter and poisoner. Launched a sneak assault that gained most of Egypt from King Edmund in 1139. Became Kaisar under Nikolaios once Christophoros’ betrayal became apparent. Backstabbed Nikolaios by sending aid to Christophoros, then assassinated Christophoros and the Patriarch on the former’s return to Constantinople in triumph. Conquered southern Italy, consolidated Egypt. Almost came to blows with Western Empire and the Pope. Barely survived an assassination attempt in 1160, and witnessed the Third Seljuk War during his recovery. Used war to root out enemies, led to “Red Saint Irene’s” massacre of enemies in the Hagia Eirene. Was ousted in coup in 1169, exiled to Lesbos.

Romanos Komnenos – Sixth son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Prince of Edessa from 1133 onwards. Was often forgotten by the others in his family. Slothful, hedonist, had ill reputation amongst family and other lords. Died without issue.

Demetrios Komnenos “Nearos” – Eight son of the Megas. Megos Domestikos under Emperor Manuel and until 1175 under Emperor Basil. Prince of Imeretia from 1141 onwards. Apolitical, capable on the battlefield, was a reliable general for two emperors in numerous wars.

Malhaz Komnenos – Illegitimate child of Nikolaios’ “wife” Jacinta and a palace guardsman. Was initially used by Emperor Nikolaios as proof of his heterosexuality, though Patriarch Anathasios and others uncovered evidence of the child’s true origins. After the ascension of Manuel, was given the lands formerly belonging to Romanos Thrakesios.

Zeno Komnenos – Second son of Christophoros Komnenos, was initially exiled from Konstantinopolis as a threat to Emperor Manuel. Lived up to his reputation, murdered Prince Niketas and almost murdered Prince Basil in 1158, staged an almost successful assassination attempt on the Emperor in 1160. Connived to get himself appointed co-Emperor shortly thereafter. Led the Empire disastrously through the Third Seljuk War. Deposed and murdered in the “Red Saint Irene’s” massacre in 1166.

Theodoros Komnenos – Grandson of Isaakios Komnenos, Prince of Antioch, holding the same title. Was instrumental to the Imperial victory in the Great Rebellion of 1153-1155, commanded a field army in the Third Seljuk War. Father of Sophie Komnenos, and thus father-in-law to Emperor Basil.

Kosmas Komnenos – Brother of Theodoros Komnenos. Brilliant army and navy commander, won Joshua’s Ford, Crete, and Rhodes for the imperial forces during the Great Rebellion. Suffered a disastrous defeat at Tell Bashir in the Third Seljuk War. Reinstated, commanded Imperial troops in Spain for many years.

Ioannis VataczesStrategos, and mentor to Basil Komnenos. Was widely considered one of the most formidable commanders in the Roman army, but was known for bawdy mouth and bad manners. Was initially denied command in Third Seljuk War by Zeno, but became Basil’s second in command during the Syrian campaign. Fell at the horrific Battle of Menorca.

Giuseppe Rimini – Archbishop, Papal nuncio, later Cardinal, then Pope Boniface. Built up extensive contacts within the Eastern Empire, successfully kept Emperor Manuel from conquering Rome. Befriended Basil Komnenos, later became his tutor and lifelong friend.

Pope Innocent II – Pope from 1132 until 1171. Successfully navigated difficult diplomatic straits between the Eastern and Western Empires. Bravely faced the army of Emperor Manuel with only a retinue of priests and pilgrims in 1158.

Basiliea de Hauteville – Daughter of the Duke of Salerno. Sent to Konstantinopolis to seduce Manuel, succeeds, becomes his wife. Mother of Basil and Niketas. Attempted to depose Manuel in the Great Rebellion, intending on setting Basil on the throne. Was defeated and committed suicide.

Hermann Arpad – Second Arpad Western Emperor, from 1138 until 1154. Giant of a man, brave and capable commander. Was repeatedly diplomatically outfoxed by both Emperor Manuel and Pope Innocent II.

Next update should be finished by tomorrow or Monday... have a good (belated) weekend everyone!

Last edited:
Once again a very nice overview. Ah so many people are born with great potential only to get murdered, poisoned, executed etc. :p

General_BT said:
And yes, I'm fully prepared for people even posting links to that infamous Youtube video... :p

Glad you are! After all asd21593 got it, so why should you do any better in this respect. :D

General_BT said:
Hermann Arpad – Second Arpad Western Emperor, from 1138 until 1154. Giant of a man, brave and capable commander. Was repeatedly diplomatically outfoxed by both Emperor Manuel and Pope Innocent II.

Giant of a man? Tom Cruise? :rofl:
Clever. ;)

General_BT said:
Anna1.jpg

Eirene Kaukadenos nee Komnenos - 1348

*evil grin*

Ignore the bird, follow the river.

Yeah, I'm slowly catching up :)

The_Archduke said:
Manuel dies during the THIRD Seljuk War? :eek:

Either that hasn't happened yet or I missed several pages of the story.
The first one was fought by Alexios and the Dukas family and the second was fought by the Megos. Manuel and Basil are the third (Which is my favourite because of the ending).

Avalanchemike - Why do you want to display your rage?
HERAKLIOS! *Fist clench at sky*

To clarify things.

1) I fixed the "on his deathbed" part... I meant to say "sickbed."
2) The numbering system I use is based off of the Seljuk conflicts since the Komnenids took power. So they would be:

1st Seljuk War = ~1105-1109 (Megas versus Malik Shah)
2nd Seljuk War = ~1132-1133 (Megas versus Caliph)
3rd Seljuk War = ~1162-1166 (Manuel, Zeno and Basil versus Sulieman)

If you count the original Seljuk War ( ~1070-1074), the numbering system would change. That conflict takes place before the storyline's timeframe, and had Alexios Komnenos as the principal Byzantine commander against Alp Arslan (I don't count the Imperial commanders, who tended to be incompetent at best). As for the update, all the text is done, I'm looking for appropriate illustrations right now, so it'll be up tonight!

basilromearisenbannercopy.jpg

October 7th, 1188

David Komnenos, Exarch of Mauretania and late Kaisar of the Roman Empire sourly tore a piece of duck from the roast laid before him, and chewed, angry thoughts rumbling through his mind.

Normally parties, especially his birthday celebration, was a time for David to relax and enjoy himself. But not today. It’d been months since news had arrived of his father’s change in the succession law, and yet it still rankled David to no end. That he – the son who had proven himself a capable commander and leader of men, who had shown himself skilled a the darker games a lord must play – had been named junior Emperor to a brother that was only a boy?

But how to respond? Rising up against his Lord Father was not a possibility – no Emperor wished to begin his reign with patricide, not that patricide would be easy against Basil. David viewed himself as a skilled commander and superb leader, but next to Basilieos Komnenos, David knew he was but a mere candle next to the sun.

As his brother, the Prince of Tangiers laughingly fawned a young beauty from the Crusaders States of Algeria, David’s frown grew deeper. Without outright war, that left more nefarious schemes. Poison was one option to get rid of Heraklios, yet he knew his mother and father would be watchful of any such move from him, so it was easily ruled out. However, there were other ways… if the army, the church, and the nobility wanted David as senior Emperor, they would make him so after his father was dead and unable to intervene. It was a process that would take years, but considering the contents of his father’s latest dispatch, it seemed as if Basil Komnenos, despite the rumors of weakness and sickness, still had iron within him.

Time for David to build those alliances.

David had to smile a little – the old man had decided to personally lead the Imperial response to a massive Cuman incursion into Alania and Imeretia – the former an Imperial client state, the latter a theme in the hands of the Komnenoi. 30,000 Cumans under their Khagan Kutan had poured across the border, intent on causing mayhem. Yet the Emperor, despite (according to David’s sources) still suffering from his debilitating illness, had personally led the Romanoi in three engagements, and through the use of several rapid columns and old-fashioned logging, managed to hem a large portion of the Cuman host into the Kodori valley. There, with no place to turn, they were forced to meet the Emperor in a formal, set field battle – exactly the kind of engagement the Romanoi excelled at.

Lebedev_Svyatoslavs_meeting_with_Em.jpg

A stylized image of Kutan surrendering to Basil – save Kutan surrendered in the Kodori Valley at Basil’s quarters, not in a boat

“Taifun, remind me to send my father a congratulations on capturing Kutan and… how many of his wives?”

“All fifteen, Highness,” Talil Taifun, the Spymaster for Mauretania smiled at his master’s momentary lack of information. The son of a Moorish nobleman and a Christian mother, Talil had kept his given name, despite taking the baptism on the defeat of the Sultan. He and David had fast become personal friends, and despite his own skill, it was a rare event when Taifun knew something David did not. “As well as 15,000 prisoners, and all of the Cuman’s seasonal foals.”

“He’s got a sword pointed right at their balls,” David said bluntly, lifting his wineglass. As always, he sniffed it slightly before bringing it to his lips – habit. After all, the Komnenoi had a long and inglorious history with wine and… incidents.

“Indeed, Highness. Supposedly he’s going to use this incident to formally add Alania and several more sections of Cumania to the Empire, as a buffer to keep this type of confusion from happening again,” Talil offered.

“Wise,” David nodded, taking a deep drink of the wine. It’s exactly what he would have done – more land that way meant more areas the Romans could build forts to contain the local chiefs, and more worthless territory the Cumans could lumber into “on accident” before they actually ran into something valuable. “Now, what about our other problem?”

“Which one?” Taifun asked quietly. “My intelligence has backed up your suspicions – the comes of Ifni indeed has not completely renounced the Mohammedan faith, and he is plotting with several groups…”

“Not that problem – kill him and it ends,” David said sourly. “I’m talking about the problem of Thomas.” A fly swooped in low over their heads, its buzzing annoying David to no end. He’d never get used to the flies in North Africa.

“Ah. Well, Highness, I think there are several…”

“No, Taifun, I know a way to solve the problem altogether,” David murmured over his wine goblet. “I wanted to run the idea by you – see what you think. It’d involve only killing one person, and solving the whole affair…”

Taifun nodded.

“Mehtar Lainez,” David said quietly, taking a bowl of specially prepared, and tested, soup from a passing page. He sniffed it, and like the wine, it smelled as it should – in this case, of carrots, beets, beef and broth.

“Lainez?” Taifun’s face was puzzled. “You mean to kill that spider, and not Thomas?”

“Yes,” David replied firmly. “Without that spider guiding him, Thomas will go from being a dangerous threat to just another annoying…” he swatted to the side of the chair. The buzzing stopped. “Git,” the Prince finished his sentence.

“But surely sire, after you have been crowned, you intend to have your brother shorn and tonsured?” Taifun raised an eyebrow. “It would be the only way to keep him from…”

“No,” David said simply. “He will have his uses. My brother is angry, my brother is stupid, but he is very reliable at being those things,” the Prince said. “I can surely find a way in the future to use that to my advantage – thrust a disaster onto his angry lap instead of my own? And should he get too out of hand, he is reliably reckless in battle… problem easily solved.” He supped deeply from the soup bowl. The broth landed in his belly with a palpable thump.

“I would be leery of such a plan, Highness,” Taifun commented, “but Your Highness was the one that figured out that the Bey of Jalal was the key to conquering Fez, and that Georgios Palialogos was sleeping with his logothetes and thus in a compromising position. Even I hadn’t deduced the latter…” Taifun acknowledged. “Perhaps you’re right.”

“I am,” David said firmly, before a puzzled look came onto his face. His tongue felt dry, and his mouth felt hot. “I want you to start drawing up some plans to get rid of that Spaniard. Maybe find a young brothel boy here we can spring on him, or…” The burning in his mouth had changed – it’d cooled, and something harsh, metallic was in its place.

David’s mind was at work. Something was wrong with the soup, but what? He looked around the table at other guests at the party. Several of them had already finished their soup, with no ill effects. If no one else was looking ill, it meant that it was something specific to just his soup. Which meant it was intentional.

Poisoning.

The Exarch weighed the taste in his mouth, as Taifun asked him a question. He didn’t care, he needed to figure out what this poison was, so he could proscribe himself the proper antidote.

“Highness?” he heard Taifun ask, concern palpable in his voice.

The taste grew more acute, as David thought. It wasn’t hemlock, and it wasn’t wolfsbane – it was something far more potent. A few possibilities ran through his mind. He looked around, eyes wide, the metallic taste sharp and bitter to his sensitive tongue. Yes – wormwood, covering the oil of almonds.

Mithradates had called this plant ‘the death oil.’ Not just because of its lethality, but also the difficulty of its production. Made from the oil of crushed almonds, it had a tendency to kill its creator before it could be fully processed. Once finished, however, it was colorless, odorless, and utterly lethal – a tiny drop in a bowl of soup would kill the average person.

almonds.jpg

Almonds, which in the wild produce prussic acid when crushed

David felt a wave of nausea hit him like a wagon slamming into his face. Despite the ill feeling, he felt happy, even giddy. Part of his mind wanted to simply laugh at the quizzical expression on Taifun’s face, but his self-training took over. That was a symptom of the poison at work.

For David Komnenos did not just read what the Mithradatium held, he practiced what the ancient King Mithradates preached – he took small doses of all the poisons within, carefully measuring the amounts, slowly building up an immunity. Through minute amounts, diluted into large quantities of water or wine, one could even build up a resistance to ‘death oil.’ Yet, with this potent brew, it was impossible to build an immunity – so the Exarch knew he needed to act. Quickly.

He needed salt.

“Highness?” Taifun asked, as David rudely reached in front of him for the salted pork. Without a word, David stuffed the meat into his mouth, its saltiness almost burning without the customary spices one would add before eating. The metallic taste in his mouth changed to a burning, and as he swallowed the oversalted meat, it burned sliding down his throat.

Yet David shoved another piece into his mouth, chewing quickly, sucking as much of the salt out of the meat as he could. It wasn’t much, but he hoped it would be enough. He felt a hand on his shoulder – Taifun was good at his work, he’d figured out what was going on. David heard him call for water and salt grains – the Exarch only needed to stall a little longer.

A few moments later David looked up, and a goblet filled with cloudy water sat before him. He downed it in one motion, and instantly felt his stomach revolt at this final, sudden intrusion. Quickly the soup, the pork, and all the water, was retched onto the table, to the gasps of the partiers.

“Highness!” someone cried, as David continued to retch. David paid no heed – while it was rude, he needed to get as much of the poison out of his system as he could. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the Exarch felt his roiling stomach calm a little, and he looked up, at a worried, expectant Taifun.

“Lainez,” he whispered.

Taifun nodded, and slowly, carefully, David stood up from the table. The world still spun slightly – that effect of the poison would take a while to wear off. He’d be weak for a few days as well – but, David was thankful, he would live.

“I apologize… I am feeling ill,” the Exarch rasped out quietly. Would you all excuse me, please?”

As the Prince stumbled haphazardly out of the room, he noticed a finely dressed matron at the table looking sourly at her plate. For a second, his eyes hung on her – she’d introduced herself as Lady Kantakouzenos, with a request that her cousin receive a diplomatic post in the Exarchate. Yet something about her seemed familiar – all too familiar.

Another wave of nausea suddenly hit the Prince, and David’s mind became too focused on trying to stand up. As he left the room, hands holding onto the walls, he dismissed the suspicion of the woman. He’d seen her up close at her audience. It couldn’t be…

He needed to get to his chambers, where he’d lie down to recover. In the morning, he and Taifun would start planning the counterattack against the only man that would have dared to try such a thing…

=========*==========

assassin_s_creed_scr01.jpg

A few hours later…

Mehtar Lainez cursed to himself. The walls of the exarch’s palace in Basiliopolis were far more slink than he’d imagined, and it was only with tenacity and the sharpest spikes in the front of his boots and climbing gloves that Lainez had maintained his grip onto the sheer walls.

“A madcap end to a madcap day,” he said to himself, fifty feet above the courtyard below still filled with partygoers.

It’d started with his arrival in Tangiers, almost two weeks before, with an immense beard and under the alias Georgios Donauri. He’d purposefully chosen to arrive on a ship bearing a spy from Konstantinopolis – David’s agents were smart, but they would likely have all their attention focused on the spy, not some minor yardhand who disappeared off his ship soon after its arrival.

He’d then made contact with a personal friend of his, an upstanding merchant and regular scoundrel named Theophylaktos Batazces, who’d directed him to several men he could hire to tend to him as servants. After some unplanned hijinks and the stealthy shearing of several sheep, Lainez had a suitable wig of white hairs, and with the addition of some makeup, he was now Lady Sophia Kantakouzenos, lately of Konstantinopolis, wishing to see the Exarch about a personal matter.

After hiring his retinue in this ridiculous costume, he’d proceeded to wear it, every day, every hour of the day, until their arrival in Basiliopolis, and through the two day wait to see the Exarch. He’d made up a cousin who needed a post on the frontier as the reason for his visit, and from even ten feet away fooled David twice – once at his audience, and again at the dinner table. From there, it’d been easy to deduce the patterns of the servants, and who tended to take what from their platters. Planting the death oil into the proper soup bowl had been child’s play.

Save David was smarted than Mehtar thought.

So Mehtar was now here, climbing the sheer walls of the palace while unknowing guests milled below, gossiping about the prince’s sudden and strange sickness.

“Mehtar, you have the most foolish backup plans,” he told himself.

On a “job,” Mehtar didn’t trust any more getups or disguises after the first, and considering David’s caliber when it came to matters of intrigue, this would likely be the only chance he would get to finish the business before all hell broke loose. Since their first run in during the Spanish campaign, he’d watched David’s reactions to others who had plotted around him – the Prince’s response to a threat was usually both subtle and devastating. No doubt on the morrow hordes of David’s agents would set out for Tarraconensis, looking for Mehtar.

Which meant the job had to end here, end now, and look natural.

So Mehtar planned to make sure it worked, by killing David in person. Amongst his belongings as Lady Kantakouzenos he’d carefully hidden boots and gloves with climbing spikes, a dirk, dark clothes, and finally his ultimate backup tool.

A death viper, wrapped tightly in a bundle he told everyone was his “feminine supplies.” It was a large beast of a snake, some four feet long with immense fangs, native to lands south of the Sahara. He’d originally purchased it as a curiosity in Barcelona, and kept it for just such an occasion.

Basiliopolispalace.jpg

The Royal Balcony at the Basiliopolis Palace, Mehtar’s destination

Finally, Lainez reached his goal – a massive balcony that overlooked the western side of the city. First, he peered over the edge, and on seeing no guards (he didn’t expect any, there was no logical reason really to have guards on a balcony that was fifty feet up a sheer wall from the ground), he clambered over the top. Two doors on the balcony led to the rooms of the Exarch and his wife respectively. One was open – Mehtar made for the closed door.

It was a light wooden thing, in contrast with the heavy oaken doors through the rest of the palace. Carefully Mehtar pushed against it. A gentle creak greeted his ears – enough to set off an alarm in his mind.

The door had a lock – it would otherwise make no sense to have a door here, opening to a balcony that was so remote from the ground below. And the only reason someone would leave the door unlocked was…

Mehtar looked into the room, and saw a figure against the wall. There was a glint of something bright in his hand. A knife.

“How did you get the poison into only my bowl of soup?” the figure asked.

There was a time where Mehtar would have shot back a reply, wasting time and breath, like he had the first time he’d tangled with the Emperor’s eldest son. Mehtar had been barely 16 then – he was now several years older, and through experiences most other logothetes could never imagine, decades wiser. Mehtar knew some of the poison had to still be at work, and that likely David could not see him if he moved further into the darkness. Instead of wasting breath, Lainez stepped back from his position, deeper into the shadows, edging along the wall. While David talked, Mehtar would moved to block the exit, and consider his options.

The adder was out already, and Mehtar needed both hands to keep the snake under control – one right behind its head, the other further back to keep its angry form from whipping around, potentially knocking over items and making noise. He couldn’t draw his dirk, not while holding the snake as well. Very well – the snake would be his weapon.

As he slipped along the wall, Mehtar’s eyes, adjusting to the darkness, watched the shadowy form in the corner. David too was edging towards the door, yet Mehtar knew he had an advantage. While the Prince moved quietly, he occasionally hit something – the poison was still at work in his body, making him occasionally stumble. Mehtar was silent, an inky ghost in the darkness of the room. Mehtar unconsciously held is breath as the two drew closer and closer, hoping that the poison was still affecting his prey’s vision as well…

Closer and closer they crept, the Prince looking around, Mehtar’s eyes locked on his quarry…

Mehtar thrust the snake out, shoving it’s head hard against the bare flesh of David’s neck! He heard its angry hiss, and a sharp cry from David’s lips.

The Prince stumbled back, thumping against a bare stone wall. Mehtar thought he saw the form slump towards the ground, but only a second later David lunged forward, knife out. Mehtar spun out of the way of the errant charge on instinct, even as his mind was still registering that David was somehow still up.

Yet Mehtar was still blocking the door.

David turned around again, and this time, by the closed door, Mehtar was in a thin sliver of light. David charged yet again. This time, Mehtar waited till the last minute to move aside shoving the snake’s head out again. Once again he saw it bite its fangs deep into the prince’s neck.

gaboonvipersnake.jpg

The snake, known to Mehtar’s world as the ‘death viper’

But Mehtar moved too slow. David plowed into him and the two tumbled to the floor with a thump.

Mehtar kicked his leg out, flipping himself on top of the Prince, as David lashed out with his hands, one trying to send the dirk into Mehtar’s neck, the other grabbing at the hand that held the death viper. Mehtar grabbed the prince’s knife hand, stopping the blade less than an inch from his own jugular. David was shoving with unholy force, grunting, panting, trying his best to survive, but Mehtar had expected this.

When men stared death in the face, they gained unholy strength. The merchant in Barcelona who price gouged had almost managed to lift a beam, with Mehtar on it, off of his dying body. All Mehtar knew he had to do was to hold on – the poison from earlier, and the poison from the bites, would slowly break his strength.

So Mehtar sat on top of David, and held his ground, not pushing – that would waste energy – but keeping the Prince in place. A few seconds later, Mehtar saw David’s eyes go wide – clearly he too knew what Mehtar was doing. He opened his mouth to call for help, but only a hoarse gurgling came out – the poisons yet again. Slowly, Mehtar began pushing the knife away and the viper closer to David’s throat, as slowly, the Prince’s strength ebbed away. Finally, the snake made contact yet again, and, enraged and angry as it was, bit him again and again.

Finally, Mehtar let go, as the Prince’s breath rattled. Lainez shoved the head of the snake into the Prince’s shirt, then, in a quick, single movement rose from over the Prince’s body and backed away. It was only then that Mehtar felt the sharp pain in his thigh. Lainez watched the prince shiver and shake on the floor a few more seconds, the adder curling up near the dying man’s neck, before he reached down with a hand. It was far too dark to see anything, but when he felt wetness, he knew David’s knife had caught him, only a few inches below his waist, and inches from things Mehtar didn’t care to be parted from. Still eyeing the prince, Mehtar slowly backed away, his bloody hand reaching into a pouch and pulling out a kerchief. First, Lainez took the Prince’s knife, and with a few quick, thorough swabs, removed the blood from the steel. Then, he wrapped up the wound on his thigh with the same kerchief – if there were a few drops of blood on the floor, considering the size of the massive viper’s fangs, most would assume they came from the snake’s initial, deadly strike. Or the second, or the third.

Quickly, Mehtar made his way out of the room and back onto the balcony. His leg throbbed, but that’d be no matter – climbing down was always easier than climbing up. Below, it seemed as if the party had broken up, and in the dead of night, Lainez knew slipping past the guards wouldn’t be too much of a problem. He’d merely need to scale a wall or two…

==========*==========
storm.jpg

David is dead, and a storm of epic proportions is brewing. With the eldest prince’s death, the compromised succession has been thrown into chaos. Will Sophie and Basil get things sorted out before its too late?