• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was a disaster and no two ways about it.

But a total success as a writer for you. Angry daemons frustrated and the shields? Very very nice.

Further to my previous comment, I would imagine this sort of news will not go down well at all in Constantinople, after Basil's insistence on the invasion, the early defeat would seem to good to be true for Basil's enemies, or in the very least shake the Empire's confidence in him.

Basil is a moron if he doesn't realize what a disaster loosing him would be for the Empire. It's good Vataczes was there to stop him... Too bad he probably died though.

Fantastic good written btw.:)

Man , Basil's got himself in a pickle now . It's good to see him grow into such a martial man , though . At least our vulgar man came to use in a way , yeah ? XD Great stuff as usual !

ex-lurker showing his face

AlexanderPrimus introduced me to this amazing story and I finally have to stand up and give a hearty ovation. The disaster in the Balearics was impressively written. IMO, Basil won't take the death of his close friends lying down. To avenge their deaths, he will muster his troops and conquer all of Spain if he has to. If the French king was involved (as it appears he was) France may be next on the list. Spain would equal Justinian, France would have Basil surpass him. :D

Did Vataczes die, was he taken prisoner, ir did you edit his death or was he as imaginary character?
And why anonymous commanders?

Btw, what happened to the other army...

And this chnages the war... now the latins conquer all of Iberia, while the Emir and romans lick their wounds to a next battle of Majorca...

Score one for my favorite Muslims! Vataczes is screwed, if he even survived. He may be valuable to the Emperor, but to the Moors he's probably worthless, another head on a pike.

Last edited:
I'd like to apologize. Normally by this point I'd have a teaser update ready, and some replies ready as well. Today that's not the case. Some major life issues have come up, and delayed the update. I'm going to start on something later tonight though, something special, as we have reached another milestone of sorts... 50,000 views. I'm glad people are enjoying the AAR, and hopefully it'll get back on track in a bit!

This AAR is now the 4th most viewed in the CK AAR Forum. Congrats!

Congratulations! Truly a wonderful piece of work!

English Patriot - A complete and utter defeat on an island that was supposed to be a minor sideshow is surely not the best way to start such an endeavor. Vataczes did what he was trained to do though - fight till the end to protect the Emperor. As for Constantinople, alot will depend on how the rest of the campaign goes as well - if it is a heavy defeat as well, then expect things to get very dicey for Basil. An Emperor, suffering repeated defeats and far from the capital, usually doesn't fare well in Byzantine politics...

AlexanderPrimus - Thank you for the praise, though me writing the battle is a slight misnomer. I created the music track (I listened to those parts of the King Arthur soundtrack and it all came together), and I basically let the music guide my writing... so in my mind's eye, the music is more placid but strained while Basil et al are marching, unable to contact Alexandros, and becomes frenzied as the Moors launch their devastating assault. Thank you for all your advice and help in creating the music that appears in this AAR, and introducing me to Audacity. Wonderful program. :)

Fulcrumvale - Yes. If Basil has the massive strengths of being a brilliant commander and inspiring leader, he has the fault of being rather stubborn and sometimes proud. He's encountered the worst defeat of his career, don't look for him to take it laying down.

And this is the 4th most viewed now? WOW. I didn't realize we'd hit such a milestone!

Mettermrck - I tried really hard to keep the chaos of the situation in the writing. Simple, one word commands shouted, and so on, to keep the action tight and moving quickly. I'm glad to hear you think I succeeded - it was one of the most fun passages to writing, even if when it occurred in game I invented new curse phrases involving the name Menorca. :D

IamWhoa - Thank you also for your kind words! Defeats can be just as epic as a victory - especially when such a catastrophic defeat happens to such a military genius!

RGB - That little bit I had the Battle of Phillipi from Rome the television series in my head. There's a scene where Cassius and his troop come under attack from arrows, and they form a testudo over him, with arrows breaking through some of the shields and striking men's arms. I imagined the Romanoi would have shoved their Emperor under the protection of shields at the onset of the attack, at the least until they knew where the enemy was. Glad the descriptions worked well!

Nikolai - Basil at that moment wasn't thinking like an Emperor (another possible weakness), but as a commander that cared for his men. If Basil thought him launching a charge could save a large part of his army, he would likely do it without question. This is fine and dandy if one is a random strategos, but it can be a bad habit if one is wearing the diadem...

canonized - Oh, did you expect someone like Vataczes to go down asleep in bed? Chances are if he didn't fall at Menorca, somewhere along the line he'd spark a duel or some other violence that would cause his doom - once his ability to fight had decreased from age or injury...

The_Archduke - Welcome to the AAR! As I promised, I'll have something included special in the next update for you! :D

Enewald - Both Vataczes and Thrakesios died at Menorca. In game Basil did not head that contingent, so with both of the commanders gone CK reverted the army for the rest of the fight to "Anonymous Commander." The Almerian commander died as well, hence their "Anonymous Commander" also.

Estonianzulu - Indeed - if he had survived, what would the Moors have done with a loud, foul mouthed man who didn't know when to keep his trap shut. I have a feeling even if they thought Vataczes was a nobleman, his tongue might have gotten his head on a spike anyways...

asd21593 - In practical terms, Menorca wasn't much of anything - the loss of 5,000 troops out of a standing army of 450,000 is barely a pinprick. However, psychologically the defeat must be stinging - an undefeatable Emperor utterly crushed at the onset of a campaign. True there are 15,000 others on the campaign, but still Basil's shining reputation must, at least for the time being, gain some tarnish from this.

phargle - High praise from someone who invented a new genre of AAR writing. :) Thank you for your kind words... I hope you continue to enjoy the story!

bert jr - Thank you also for your kind words! This is a Byzantine AAR, by definition it has to have twists and turns. I just hope the road ahead is sufficiently winding to suit your tastes and enjoyment. :)

The next update is maybe 25% complete... its taking a little longer to type because I'm still working out the special thing I'm putting into it for all of you. So, to tide you over, I do have a little teaser... some more flags from the eventually EU3 edition!

CARcopy.jpg
CYRcopy.jpg
ISPcopy.jpg

Becuase I cheat and read the image source...

#1- CAR
#2- CYR
#3- ISP

So... Carthage, Cyprus and ISP, whatever that is?

Well, since I already looked at the cheater post: Carthage, Cyrenaica, and... hm... it's vibing "Jerusalem" to me, but that could be the CK flag being etched indelibly into my neurons.

But really, Enewald's sounds more accurate. The first flag just doesn't scream "Carthage" to me.

Author’s Note:
Upon reviewing the save game file, I found out I’ve made a mistake. By 1171, Basil did not have two children by Sophie, he had four – three sons and a daughter. The missing children, Thomas (1166) and Maria (1167) will be included from here on.

Also, this is merely a teaser... I've finally figured out the plot for the next subarc, I've just got to type things out. Needless to say, there will be continental wide intrigue on this one, as well as a new temptress or two entering the equation. :) For right now, the below is a humble homage to Peter Ebbesen's utterly fantastic The Byzantine Letters, an old AAR but one I would highly recommend everyone to take a look at.

And a final note to Estonianzulu - CHEATER! :p and all others who have guessed - Carthage is right. Cyrenaica is right. Jerusalem is not.

”My beloved wife,

I hope this letter finds you in peace and good health, and be it known to you that I miss you utterly and completely. God willing, I shall soon return to Konstantinopolis, and once again be at your side. As you read this, I am sailing towards Palermo, to supervise the departure of the 10,000 Sicilian
thematakoi you wisely insisted I have on hand. After they have left, I will make straight for the Queen of Cities, and your arms.

I am well, physically at least. As you have heard, we suffered a heavy defeat at Menorca. I suffered nary a scratch, but both Vataczes and Alexandros have left this world. Please, I ask you in my name to convey my deepest sorrow to Alexeia her loss. My sister has a rather delicate constitution – I expect that the news will break her up quite a bit. Please tell her that we shall take care of all her needs, as a way of honoring Alexandros as a man, and as a friend. Her sons will receive a princely education, and all the details thereof. Tell her that by the time they are grown, I hope they will call me ‘father’ in honor of the man they lost when they were so young.

It is the least I can do, for it is all my fault.

It was my pride that led me to foolishly decide to split my columns, allowing us to be struck in piecemeal. It was my arrogance to assume that tiny Almeria would not put up a hefty fight. I’ve prayed, night and day, since that horror that my soul might be absolved of all the blood on my account. Father Euminedes, who we established as Bishop of Almeria, has said that God has already granted my soul forgiveness… yet I feel the weight of guilt still hanging heavy on my shoulders.

Neither Hagios Demetrios, nor God, seems to speak to me – my sin is too great.

Nonetheless, God has chosen to bless Roman arms, even if he does not bless the Roman Emperor. The campaign itself against Almeria has come to a true and decisive end, despite Menorca. Your uncle took Almeria itself by the time I arrived in Almeria proper, and I was able to sail back to Menorca with a larger force on August 2nd. The navy had blockaded the island, and by my return the defenders were starving and eager to surrender. More alarmingly, we found in the Emir’s possessions several letters by a Frankish hand, authorizing ships with grain to supply his army here.

Drogo is a wily spider, and no doubt will simply say the merchant in Marseilles was the guilty party and have him executed forthwith, thus covering his own royal tracks. If you could, my dear, please have Rodrigo and your own people look into this further before I publicly announce this. We need as much information on what happened as possible before Drogo is tipped, or becomes aware of the Emir’s capture. When I arrive, I hope you will have developed some possible plans for counteracting this Frankish threat. I will not stand about while a Frankish king plots and kills thousands of Romanoi and my loyal generals!

As to the rest of the campaign, the Latins are doing decently well. Richard, true to his form, landing near Bilbao, and promptly took most of northern Almerian lands before turning on Zaragozan lands and opening up the Pyrenees passes. Heinrich and Drogo’s armies await beyond, but I trust they do not plan on cooperating in any way – merely hindering each other as best they can. I would almost say I would accept tonsure if Drogo marches across the Pyrenees at all. Yet, with Richard’s brusque, aggressive behavior, I still imagine the Latins will create a substantial diversion for when we attack again next fall.

I trust Konstantinopolis continues to hold well in my absence. How are my brothers? Demetrios has a penchant for fretting, I hope he hasn’t troubled you much with his latest concern – the production of grain in Egypt, wasn’t it last? How are Leo, Eudoxios, and all the others? I trust Leo’s roaming eye will cease soon, and that Eudoxios will overcome that cough you wrote of last and settle into his new position as Prince of Damietta. Please tell them of my love, and inform them both that they should soon prepare – when I leave for the Toledo campaign in 1173 they will earn their princely spurs. Be sure to break the news slowly to Eudoxios, as I fear he will have grown accustomed to life in luxury.

How are my children? How are David and Manuel doing in their sword lessons? When I left, I realized David was using a two handed Italian grip with his sword, and I advised him he should switch to perhaps a Moorish or a Saracen grip given his size. Has he listened to my advice? Has Manuel gotten over his fear of the dark? And does little Thomas still miss his father’s stories near bedtime? And what of my little angel, Maria? You said in your last letter that she was just starting to learn sewing, and was still stabbing her thumb with the needle. Has she learned? Give them each a kiss on the cheek on my behalf, and if Thomas is crying, tell him that his father will be home soon.

And you, the light of my world? Working with the Regent and safeguarding the Empire is a tiring business, my empress, how do you fare? You spoke that one of your maids still hasn’t learned to put your jewelry on correctly in the morning – she has learned, I hope? I know my absences drain you to no end, and I hope that after the next campaign I may return swiftly and safely to your loving embrace. You are the woman I to which I dedicate my Song of Solomon. You are the oarsman that keeps my galley moving when the winds of the world cease blowing. I am no poet, my lady, but you are the woman that poetry is written of, that troubadours croon to, and men cast all their worldly possessions to have. Truly, you have bewitched me as no one else has, and my lady, I am at your everlasting command.

Basil Komnenos
Basilieos ton Romanion

iberiamap1172.jpg

The Iberian campaign, as of September 7th, 1172