• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Best: My favorite scene was probably the death of Thomas III. It still makes me sad thinking of it. Manuel I was quite amusing to read.

Worst: I didn't really care for Andi I that much. I just didn't feel the same as I did with other characters. Also was not happy Eirene was killed. I liked her and Persia. Oh well, Persia shall rise again as she always does.

When thinking of the best scenes I think of:

1. Thomas III walling himself in, for the emotions that it was able to produce in me. It was a sad, but magnificently well written scene, and totally unexpected.
2. The meeting of ibn-Taymiiah and Alexandros II for your portrayal of both a man with true and deep convictions who is willing to risk death rather than forswear them, and of an Emperor willing to respect that.

As for bad ones, I can't think of any. Sure there were lots of normal updates that kept the story moving, but that's to be expected. It can't be epic all the time.

I had, at one point a while back, tried to re-read the whole story. In doing that I was able to just how much your writing skill has improved since the beginning. You've really done something to be proud of here :) .

My favorite was probably Basil's campaigns against Sulieman, in part because I liked the character so much, and also because of the epic background music you provided. Many of Nikolais' scenes were very good, especially the stand-offs with Demetrios and Manuel, which had very powerful emotional currents, given how much time you spent cultivating the man's character. Manuel's reunion with Basil's wife on Lesbos was also superbly done.

My least favorite probably had something to do with either David or Heraklios, especially their death scenes. Heraklios was built up a lot, only to die like a complete chump. And David because of the loony we got stuck with... and because the only picture of David we had was some shirtless teenager. Not exactly the sort of image you would expect for the cultivated, intelligent, heir apparent to a vast empire. :p Overall, though, I consider Thomas II to be the low point in the story (despite the suitably epic confrontation with the Mongols), because he never really stood out as a personality, certainly not compared with Mehtar and Albrecht. Also, though it's been awhile, wasn't he the one with all the different voices in his head? That got a bit overblown, as it seemed to become almost a hereditary trait passed down the generations, but was quietly dropped without much of a wrap-up.

My favourite scene was the one with Sophie, Albrecht, Alexios and Thomas in Sicily. I really like the way you made it clear that no matter what else they were, the Komnenoi were a family, and the civil war was a family feud, something that really fits the period.
My last favourite part was the way Gabriel was sidelined. I think his fall from grace and the birth of the new Persia could've and should've been given more attention, as it could have been one of the most interesting parts of the story. I do, however, acknowlage the need to introduce Andronikos and finish up Thomas, I just think a few more updates on what was happening in Persia with more detail about the characters, particularly surrounding the establishment of the new Romano-Persian state and the inherrant tensions within could have given us a far better view into Gabriel and his reasons for tearing apart (or trying to, anyway) the empire he was so devoted to.
I hope that helps, and your writing has improved exponentially since the beggining of this work.

My God. I can't even start to describe how brilliant that was. I think I'll remember Basil, his predecessors, his comrades and his heirs for as long as I live. And I don't mean that as an exaggeration.

My favourite scenes are those who made me cry. One of them that I remember fondly is the death scene of Thomas outside Mecca. He has been a complete lunatic most of his grown life, he gets a serious head injury, wakes up without any voices and thanks St. Muhammed. The following update is my favourite. Thomas is dying, he's finally at peace, he is sitting there with his good old friend, while his son Gabriel has no time for him. The two talks about life, settles old wounds and he slowly fades away, finally getting his father's approval in the afterlife, the approval he always sought and never got... I got a wet eye rereading it just now. Fantastic! Everyone, check out this masterpiece.:)

As for the worst, it must be the ones where you updated us on army composition and such. I've never been fond of those. But that's ultimately a question of preference and not necessarily how well written they were.

My favourite scenes are those who made me cry. One of them that I remember fondly is the death scene of Thomas outside Mecca. He has been a complete lunatic most of his grown life, he gets a serious head injury, wakes up without any voices and thanks St. Muhammed. The following update is my favourite. Thomas is dying, he's finally at peace, he is sitting there with his good old friend, while his son Gabriel has no time for him. The two talks about life, settles old wounds and he slowly fades away, finally getting his father's approval in the afterlife, the approval he always sought and never got... I got a wet eye rereading it just now. Fantastic! Everyone, check out this masterpiece.:)

As for the worst, it must be the ones where you updated us on army composition and such. I've never been fond of those. But that's ultimately a question of preference and not necessarily how well written they were.

Death of Thomas II was the most touching moment for me.

But I love army updates :)

Ahhh... So many great updates to choose from. I particularly liked the updates where long-time characters exited, so my favorite scene would be the exit of Gabriel, you really got across the tragedy of its all. The dusty abandoned palace and music really set the somber mood for the scene. Also the fact that Gabriel only realized that the siren song of Konstantinopolis was nothing compared to the glories of Baghdad and Isfasten when it was too late was a heartbreaking exit for such a vibrant character. It set the stage nicely for the rise of Persia in the late 1200’s, and the letter to Albrecht was simply masterful touch. But that was only a scene and the rest of the update didn’t live up to initial epicness, partly because of the need to wrap up loose ends. So my favorite update was the ends of Thomas II and III because of precisly the same reasons.

Now for my nitpicking: I personally didn’t like Andronikos I, he simply didn’t have the same touch as the rest of the characters also I’ll echo frrf and say Persia’s birth could have used more attention than what it got. But those examples are just me picking out the tiniest flaws in a masterpiece that was Rome AARisen.

Wow, I go away for a little while and it ends. Epic story all told. I would comment further but I'm going to read the whole thing again. Back in a few weeks.

Wow such an epic end to an epic storyline! My most favorite part is the passing of Thomas II, it was so touching and heartfelt, more so because of Thomas madness and subsequent "cure", what would he be an emperor without his illness. His paralysis at the end only reflects his helplessness, as he watch his sons beginning to tear his empire up. But also the history books styles are also one of my favorites, also I loved the Nikolai scenes - somehow it reminds me of the atmosphere in the early medieval area.

d like to once again thank everyone for taking the time to read and comment on this AAR! It was a long long journey, I’m glad you all came along! I’d also like to thank everyone for all the feedback. There were definitely some surprises in your responses, which is a good thing (these are things I can take a closer look at when I reread on my own to analyze my own writing). I’m curious about what there seems to be more of a dislike of the writing during Andronikos I’s reign, and what several of you said was a “return to form” during Andronikos II’s reign… on this side of the screen, Andronikos I’s was far more… planned, and Andronikos II’s was more chaotic. I expected a different response, but I’m curious for more specifics as to why those of you who said that felt that way. As always, if you don’t want to post it here, please feel free to PM.

I’m also interested in more specifics on why there was some dislike of Thomas II’s writing, other than the multiple personalities. On that subject, I do have to agree that it got overdone somewhat… it was a very very challenging character to write, and I never really…well… got “comfortable” writing the differing personalities, which is why by the latter part of his reign he almost stopped appearing as a POV character. Anyone have any ideas on how it could’ve been done better? I’m interested in brainstorming some alternatives, feel free to PM if you have ideas!

Looking back, yes, I do have characters interrupt each other way too often. I didn’t notice that little writing tic, it’s something I’m going to have to watch now. Thank you!

As for the history book scenes, at first they were supposed to be a regular part of the story (as evidenced early on). Later on, once the story moved to a predominantly narrative format, they became a form of shorthand.

Okay, they really became a form of cheating. :)

If there was a rather sudden switch to history book, it was because I ran into a scene I had trouble writing for some reason (either the words wouldn’t come, I was distracted by real life, or something just didn’t fit). A perfect example would be the third section of the Battle of Neapolis—I’d planned a POV scene from the perspective of Georgios Donauri, showing him saving the injured Thomas II after the latter’s infamous charge, but I didn’t want one battle to go into four or five updates. So I switched to history book to end the battle, and usher in the next important stage—Kaukadenos’ betrayal and the start of a civil war. If I had an infinite amount of time and patience, turning those history book sections, especially some of the really broad ones, into a narrative would be my dream.

That brings me to the next thing I wanted to post—things I wished I had covered more. There’s a long long list of them…

CONCEPTS/PLACES​

Atashkavedism – Originally, I’d planned four long term religious fallouts from the massive extension of the Roman Empire and the defeat/driving back of Islam, especially from the holy city of Mecca. The first was a reformation of sorts in Islam itself, represented by Taymiyya and his followers—those who think the old order showed its decay with the loss of Mecca, and seek reform. The second was Aionism—a synthesis of Muslim and Christian traditions with new ones added (such as an emphasis on rationalism, and the addition of the Abadi as the “Last Prophet.”). Both of these would take place during the timeline of the story.

For the EU3 version, I’d planned on laying the groundwork for two other religious developments, however I only managed to barely hint at one—the eventual Orthodox Spanish Reformation, foreshadowed by the disagreements that lead to (and broke apart) the Council of Konstantinopolis. The final religious upheaval would’ve taken place deep into the EU3 time frame, with perhaps one update hinting at what was to come late in the 14th century. I never came up with a hard and fast name for the movement, but I’ve been playing around with Atashkavedism—a synthesis of Zoroastrian, Muslim, and Christian thought that would be unique to Roman Persia. It would slowly gain popularity via events in the 15th century, eventually allowing a Persian player to choose to adopt it as a state religion by the late 15th/early 16th century.

Beyond that basic concept, I never really fleshed out the how’s and the why’s though…

Northern, Central, and Eastern Europe – All got sadly neglected when the time came to tell the story of the fall of the Empire. This was partially a conscious choice—I wanted to keep my eye (and my limited time) focused on the Komnenos family, as it had been for the rest of the story. However, there are tons of interesting things going on by the start of EU3 in these regions. The Finnish Bohemians have survived, even thrived, the Steppe Danes are still around, and in a prime position to reap some benefits from the collapse of Romanion, and the future likely collapse of the Timurid conglomerate. Germany is still a mess, though I think we can safely say that the Hohenfrankens, Arpads, Bohemians, and Burgundians will all be major players in German politics for years to come. Finally, to the far north, Sweden reunited Scandanavia into an empire once more, which should have some interesting repercussions as well…

Persia In General – I would argue Persia deserved an AAR all to itself. There would be so many stories to tell—the stories of the native Persians, elite and common, and their response to a new, alien power ruling over them, the struggles of the Romans to rule and integrate into an alien culture, the slow “Persification” of the Romans, and how their countrymen back home react. It gives me shivers! :) Alas, if I’d given Persia the time she deserved, I doubt the story would be done until 2020, so sadly so much of this goldmine of material was left alone. If anyone has anything specific question wise about Persia I can try my best to answer… or at least come up with some theory as to how things happened. It’s the best I can do for all the Persia fans out there!

Aionism – Once again, something far bigger than the small amount of screentime it got. Partly this was because Aionism was a side part of the story, but also it’s because I never felt comfortable writing about it because I’d never fully fleshed it out….like with Persia, I’ll try my best to answer questions people may have, or at least come up with some plausible guess as to how or why things developed the way they did…

CHARACTERS​

Characters were always the center of the story, from the very start, I sincerely regret that I didn’t get a chance to explore many of the personalities lined out in the history book section, or finish exploring some of the personalities of the final parts of the narrative portion. From as early as the reign of Thomas I, I made a conscious decision to keep the story focused on the imperial house and to pull away from side affairs, if only for the sake of being able to finish (otherwise, we might’ve just been finishing Thomas III now…).

A second issue with characters has to do with my writing style… it’s modular, I suppose… I’ll write a section here and there, and throw out some characters early in a chapter and see which ones ‘lead’ to something big. Sometimes they become something spectacular, like Sophie Komnenos or Ioannis Thrakesios. Sometimes, they lead nowhere, like Zoe (who several of you mentioned despite her appearance in only a single post… now I wish I’d fleshed her out more!), or Thomas II’s wife (who originally was supposed to be the reason he went mad… till I thought up Neapolis).

Zoe Komnenos (To answer one particular question) – I remember I threw her out there in a scene as a “aww what the hell, let’s see if anything comes out of this.” I had a very fuzzy idea of her being a stabilizing, nurturing force on Thomas III, back when I’d conceived that one day he reigned in his own right for a brief period. The more I wrote Thomas, however, the more I realized his character wouldn’t want the throne, and he’d happily hand power to someone else, and the only person who’d reasonably seize it in the end of the day was Albrecht von Franken. Zoe’s fuzzy reason for appearing thus disappeared, and she was written off to her in-game destination—being the wife of the powerful Prince of Shirvan. A few ideas popped up later where she helped persuade her husband to help Gabriel in his Mongol wars, but these fell apart too…

Heraklios Komnenos – Another character who got written out by other characters. When I first conceived of Heraklios, I’d already known Thomas II went nutty, (it was one of the biggest events in my game) and to explain how things didn’t fall apart he’d need a stabilizing influence. The original idea for Heraklios was that he was almost a redux of Nikolaios—the quiet, studious emperor in the background that ran affairs for the boisterous, warlike senior emperor in the foreground. However, literally days after I posted the death of Basil, I went through the saves and re-found Albrecht von Franken, and noting his longevity (and his perennial status as chancellor), I knew I’d found a better stabilizing influence, and one that needed a long, in depth story arc of his own. Heraklios then needed to be written out, and I panicked and went with expedience… :/

The Thrakesiokomnenoi – As their name suggests, these were descendants of Alexandros Thrakesios, given the Exarchate of Baetica all the way back in the reign of Basil III. If you remember, they were descended from Basil’s sister as well, and were among the first to shove a ‘komnen’ in their name to signify their exalted status. They were among the most ancient of the Roman Spanish houses, and Ioannis would have used all of this weight to become the power behind the Spanish throne.

The Komnenodukoi – Another case, just like the Thrakesiokomnenoi above. Deserved more screen time, but it never happened.

The Aiguptokomnenoi – Arguably after Persia the second biggest hole in the story. I wanted to do more from the view of the Egyptian monarchs, but instead we got a view through other characters… I never outright said it, but it’s fairly clear what Egypt’s multigenerational arc was… to stay neutral, stay out of fights, and use its status as a bargaining chip with the flavor of the moment, keeping all parties off balance while it consolidated its backyard, including the lucrative Red Sea trade lanes.

The Hohenfrankens – After such a detailed portrait of their patriarch, I’d hoped to keep a tab on them as the story progressed. The further we got into the civil war, the further I lost track of them, to be honest, especially after I lost my save files and couldn’t refer back to them. My original idea was to have them alternate between a prop and an opponent of the throne during the reign of Andronikos II, but I soon realized that Andronikos didn’t need them to cause instability… he’d do so on his own. Coupled with the long period where updates came more slowly, I quickly ran out of time to keep them in.

The Godwinsons – Once again, there were only hints at this family, and I never really got a chance to flesh them out beyond their patriarch, Harold Godwinson. Considering the actions that gained them a royal title, it’s safe to say that during their stay in Romanion they picked up the ‘Roman’ bug. ;)

Guillaume d’Ockham – Guillaume was, in my head, the Christian answer to ibn Taymiyya, character wise. My father is a Baptist minister, so I’ve heard a sermon or two about how sin doesn’t leave someone once they are saved. It’s a theme I tried to keep going with Guillaume and how he thinks—he’s a sinner that was saved, shoved into events far larger than himself and trying his best to fit into the shoes he’s been forced into. He still has flashbacks, inklings to his previous life, the things he enjoyed, the things he loved, even as he tries to soldier on as a good Christian. In the end, he is forced to make a choice between his dearest friend and his faith, and he shows himself willing to make that ultimate sacrifice in the name of his belief. That makes him a noble character, in my mind at least, even though the repercussions end up shattering a Roman world that seemed on the cusp of being whole again.

Anastasios III – Here was the true dinosaur. From the earliest days of the story, I had Anastasios pinned as a bad guy… an early chart I made had him labeled “the Vain,” but slowly in my head he morphed into something sinister, then something pitiful. He was, in many ways, the last of the old Komnenoi, the last to dream of uniting the Empire, of ruling from Spain to Syria unchallenged, and unlike Andronikos II (who fought many others who had the same dream), Anastasios was alone in this belief. Like Andronikos, he was willing to do anything to see this dream come to life, even to the point of arresting a Patriarch, and ordering mass killings of all his political rivals. In a narrative form, I hadn’t decided if this would’ve come from supreme self-confidence, mental illness, or even him believing it was his divine mission as Emperor to do this. In a history book format, it was easy though—both chroniclers would have a dim, if not demonic, view of him and his actions, considering how far he was willing to go to see his dream accomplished…

Petros I – I deeply regretted the chance to fill this character out. In a longer narrative, Petros would have been struggling to make his own, somewhat dim star in his father’s colossal shadow. Petros was neither very bright, nor very gifted, and for most of his life he was going to depend on Nikon to do all the heavy lifting. Nikon bears mentioning, as he would’ve been a Mehtar to Petros’ Thomas—minus the homosexual attraction. However, Nikon, as mentioned in the history book, would’ve died inconveniently, shortly before Petros took the throne, and his true incompetence would’ve showed. In the AAR, as in the game, Petros would’ve quickly taken the field to prove he was his father’s son, and like in the game, he would’ve been smashed, and ran away a coward, only to die of the plague in misery a scant few years after taking the throne. His was the incredibly incompetent reign I mentioned at least once.

If you have a question about a character not mentioned above, feel free to ask. I’m going to be focusing on finishing the EU3 map, but I’ll try to respond to these questions as well! Thanks again!​

Man Petros and Anastasios's reigns would have been amazing in narritive it makes me sad to think that this entire story is over and theres just mopping up to do. Oh and what happened to Basil's german freind Berand i think his name was? He was there in quite a few updates, but he never really did anything, also what happened to Gabriel's voices? They disappered after one update.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I am really glad for you writing this AAR, i know you have said before you don't want or can't publish Rome AArisen as a story. Regardless I want you to know that this AAR really is one of the best alternate history fictions I have read rivaling those of established authors in the genre. I am glad even though I managed to be around in time for the last year of updates, and regret I didn't find it earlier. Hell these untold stories of individuals such as Petros or Anastasios or of Roman Persia could make great novels in their own right. If you haven't considered writing as a career I would say don't be intimidated give it a shot you have an impressive amount of dedication and talent. Especially in your persistence in writing this AAR over four years and your constant duty of responding to your fans no matter how inane their questions and demands might be. :cool:

I would just like to say that I am really glad for you writing this AAR, i know you have said before you don't want or can't publish Rome AArisen as a story. Regardless I want you to know that this AAR really is one of the best alternate history fictions I have read rivaling those of established authors in the genre. I am glad even though I managed to be around in time for the last year of updates, and regret I didn't find it earlier. Hell these untold stories of individuals such as Petros or Anastasios or of Roman Persia could make great novels in their own right. If you haven't considered writing as a career I would say don't be intimidated give it a shot you have an impressive amount of dedication and talent. Especially in your persistence in writing this AAR over four years and your constant duty of responding to your fans no matter how inane their questions and demands might be. :cool:

Seconded.

I always wanted to know what happened to the guy that saved a young Thomas III from assassins. (I think that's what he did)

Thought he'd get built up to become sort of a 'Sharpe' character but he was never mentioned again. :(

Anyway, I always did wonder what was up with Zoe, thanks for clearing that up!

One of the biggest things that bother me in the reign of Thomas II was where was his wife during the madness that was his
regin especially when he was still in his drunk bloody stupor?

This is a great achievement General_BT... completing an AAR of this magnitude, breadth and brilliance is a real achievement. I've probably not commented in years, but I'm still following (I'm behind, but still here!).

Someone else mentioned you should investigate novel writing, I second that recommendation. You have the skill to write "real" characters and the dedication to actually follow through and use that skill.