• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah, Timur will die of the plague. Or one lucky arrow.

Meanwhile, all the Komnemnoi will die off via natural causes (plague/knives in the back), leaving Guillaume to ascend to the position of Patriarch-Emperor!

As Holy Emperor protected by offices of Holy Inquisition and thousands of fanatic Imperial Guard?

As Holy Emperor protected by offices of Holy Inquisition and thousands of fanatic Imperial Guard?

I am very much in favour of a Patriarch-Emperor! Guillaume has already proven he is quite capable of running the empire both economically and theocratically, all he'd need is to learn how to command the army.

Well he can always name patriarchs to lead His armies and deliver humanity from Dark Age of Secularism into new age.

Well I've just spent about a week catching up on a week's worth of updates and am distraught so see the narrative come to an end. Rome ARRisen has truly been the greatest AAR ever to grace this forum by a country mile.

Lets hope the final years of the AAR give it a hell of a send off. :)

Am I the only one who sees Sidirios/Timur as Khal Drogo, but with a pinch of a more royal character?

I am so proud I can finally get this reference....

Oh dear, it has been a while since I posted here. But wow, how things fell apart. One moment, it was Spain, then it was excommunication and a three way civil war (two way is so boring). And now, here comes Timur... While a lot of folks are rooting for Timur, I will stand with Eirene and Persia. Something tell me the two are going end up making an agreement that will make the West tremble in ways not seen since Alexandros invaded Anatolia. And while it does make me sad that this is coming to an end (it makes me realize I have been following for two or three years now), I am happy to see one my favorite stories receive an end it deserves.

Cheers.

I too would love to see the Patriarch-Basileos rule over his Holy Empire.

Has anyone been keeping up a consolidated file of the entire AAR? As we're getting to the end, my mind turns to the editing project. If nothing else, it could use copy editing, and I suspect General_BT wouldn't mind a second look across the entire text to even out the evolution in his style.

I'd say the best way is for the General to just continue to do what he does best: write amazingly as he has so far :). Rome ARRisen got to that number on its own and will probably get to the one million mark sooner or later too.

On a side note: does anybody else know of any other thread on these forums that has a comparable number of views? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
On a side note: does anybody else know of any other thread on these forums that has a comparable number of comparable views? I'm just curious.

The 'Post your DW Empire' thread in the EU3 forums has 800,000 something views right now. As for AAR's, I'm not sure.

Remble's HoI2 AAR "The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung, Japan 1944." has over 1,000,000 views.

In the EU3 AAR forum, there's PrawnStar's "The Audacity of Hope - An Iroquois IN AAR" which has ~762,000 views.

Myth's HoI3 AAR "Explorations in Strategy - Italy at War" has ~600,000 views.

Quirinus308's Vic1 AAR "The World is Not Enough, a German WW1 AAR" stands at ~416,000 views.

The top AAR from old EU2 times was at 250,000 (goes to show how far Paradox has come with EU3!)

I think right now GeneralBT is on third place among all Paradox games' AARs :)

Leviathan07 – You’re right, this AAR isn’t the top in views, or even close when it comes to longevity (I think Gotterdammerung has me beat by a longshot, and there’s quite a few others, especially if one counts hiatuses). It’s weird though—I can remember being amazed at passing 50,000 views. I didn’t think anyone would be that interested in my story. :)

The Balkans are poor, but defensible, especially considering how distracted the Hohenfrankens are in Germany (and northern Italy, now that the chaos is spreading). Anatolia is richer, but anyone coming from Anatolia has the simple problem of the Marmara… Andronikos doesn’t have much of a fleet left after Agrigento, but the dynatoi have little to none. Look for some crash shipbuilding in the near future…

humancalculator – There’s a laundry list of longer ones, both in terms of views and in numbers of posts (I think canonized’s What If Spain Never Conquered the World? in EU3 has over 7,500 posts, for example)… and 4chan? Oh Lord, I wouldn’t want to be responsible for that invading our lovely little Paradox-land! :rofl:

As for Timur and the plague, it’ll hit hard, but Timur’s lands aren’t as urbanized as the empire in this timeline… he’s got the urban core of Transoxania, but he’s also go many nomadic hordes under his command. The plague will hit hard, but there won’t be as much urban squalor adding to the death toll outside his cities. The Empire, especially half million plus population Konstantinopolis, is in for a catastrophic awakening…

cezar87 – I think it’s doubtful it will ever reach that mark, at least any time soon, considering the story is winding down!

BraidsMAmma – There was a point, long long ago, where I paid close attention to the number of views I had. I think that mentality disappeared about…oh…three years ago. :) My main goal right now is to crank out the last five or ten history book updates before the magical date of CK2’s release!
And oh, that old Mongol mess! I had a huge story planned in my head, complete with desperate battles and an empire pushed to the brink… sadly the Mongols in that game wouldn’t cooperate… much like they wouldn’t in the Rome AARisen game. So the second time around, I simply took what tidbits the game gave me, and wrote what should’ve happened (the Neapolis campaign, Genghis and Thomas briefly going hand to hand, etc.). I think the second try worked just a tad better! Lol

Bagricula - A Patriarch-Basilieos? I smell all sorts of Dune-esque problems with that situation! Lol. Right now BraidsMAmma has sent me pdfs of the first 12 chapters. Beyond that, the story exists in no less than 47 word files on my computers (I learned my lesson, they’re on both now!). If Braids or anyone wants to continue the pdf process, after the story is finished I will post links to the pdfs so that everyone can have access.

armoristan – It’s been a bit, but better late than never! I’m not sure what kind of arrangement really could be made between the two—Timur, through his mother, is descended from the Persian line, and as far as he’s concerned, Eirene has stolen his rightful crown. Timur’s marriage also gained him the allegiance of the Blue Horde, and a toehold in the other surrounding Hordes as well, so simply divesting himself of his present wife to marry Eirene (if she were ever willing) would be dicey. Who knows, however… impossible deals have been made before in this AAR. :)

Tommy4ever – Wow! Another blast from the past! Thank you for that very high praise, especially considering the width and depth of the talent that writes in all the forums of AARland. It’s my hope that these last few wrap up updates will do the rest of the story justice, and bring this world to its rightful conclusion in 1399…

Mr. Capiatlist – I’m surprised that old thing is still searchable.

4th Dimension – All while leading the loyal Imperial Marines against the forces of the evil Ork? ;)

Well, Persia is definitely stronger in this timeline than OTL. However, the rest of the world is either decidedly fractured, or under his thumb. As for the plague, it could definitely put a halt to his operations for a few years, but wars always resume. Assuming he lives through it, and assuming he administratively can regain a toehold after the demographic abyss, he could start campaigning again in five or ten years, also depending on how hard it hits his rivals and/or how well they recover from it… the plague only paused the Hundred Years War, for example… it didn’t stop it.

FrozenWall – Of all the people in the Komnenid Empire, I’m pretty sure Guillaume d’Ockham wants the crown the least! And he’d need a great deal of tutoring in military command… his last foray into the field led to his conversion due to a near-death experience!

asd21593 – The first of the history-books deals with Timur almost exclusively… and a bit of what happened in Konstantinopolis too…

SplendidTuesday – Hmmm… also a lot less barechested, ripping-out-tongue with teeth action. ;) It’s a fair comparison, except Timur’s realm (and his forces) are far more hodgepodge than what Khal Drogo would deal with…. Timur I daresay has a far more deft ability with the more…subtle… arts of ruling. He did inherit the Blue Horde after a rapid slew of mysterious deaths among the Khan’s royal family… ;)

Vesimir – The missing header was intentional actually. Usually the header signifies someone is in control, or a small group of people are vying for control. The last narrative update is also the first in which there is no group I can narrow down to a header, for as you will see, things splinter only more after the narrative ends…

Lord Strange – That, ironically, would make him more Khal Drogo-like! As for the Komnenoi dying off, unfortunately they are akin to rabbits at this point, all over the place and breeding faster than even they can kill each other. Guillaume would have literally thousands of claimants with at least a drop of Komnenid blood ahead of him (unless, he, too, is Komnenos… there’s a dun dun DUN if there was one!)

On a side note, while writing this I almost typed Komnenoid. I like that word. I think I might use it more in replies. :)

wolfcity – I wish I had more time for the narrative (I wanted to finish it because I know once CK2 comes out, I will be playing it, not writing lol), because Petros would have been fascinating. I think once everything is all said and done, I’ll do a final wrap up with how I had intended to narratively write up the final few generations, if anyone is interested…

JackTheRipper21 – I never decided what finally happened to Theodoros in the timeline canonically… I was batting around the idea that the last he was heard from he was in Mali, an educated official and ex-sellsword who spent his days trying to convince people that yes, he looked like the man on the gold solidi that floated down that way… who knows! :)

Hannibal X – Parts of the Balkans… mostly Thrace. Most of your analysis is spot on… without a strong Konstantinopolis, the Crimea is gone—either lost to the Danes or gone independent under Danish pressure. There are Komnenoi up that way, it’ll be interesting to see if they declare their own realm. Egypt, should she awaken and decide it’s time to strike out, would be formidable. Carthage/Sicily is ridiculously overexposed—it’s the chief reason why Zenobios abandoned his father’s treaty with Konstantinopolis after the loss of the fleet… Alexios is closer, Alexios has a navy, so he sees his hopes for future scheming there…

RGB – Especially a large army with recruits and rats from plague stricken areas moving west en masse…

Avernite – Well, the Council arguably fell apart in spite of Guillaume. I simply couldn’t see how the Council could stay united after the big question that’d dominated its mind for the past few years—what to do about Andronikos—was, in their minds dealt with. The question of who to replace Andronikos seemed like something that would seep into the already existing cracks and finally form a breach. Guillaume for his part wanted to form a united bloc of both Petros supporters and Anastasios supporters, but compromise is rarely heard when everyone’s blood is up…

Zzzzz… – Timur has claims on the following, for the record.

Faraud/Transoxania – male descent from his father

Blue Horde – declared Khan, blood claim through wife

Chagatai – declared Khan, blood claim via wife

Persia – blood claim through his mother as soon as Shahanshah Ioannis dies

The Roman Empire – blood claim through his grandfather Mikail, who was son of Konstantinos of Italy, and heir to the combined Leonid (Leo, brother of Basil III), and Thomasine (through Nikolaios, brother of Thomas II) claims to the Throne of Caesars.

The Mongol Empire – blood claim through his father through his paternal grandmother to the title Khagan…

WelshDude –Everyone knows who is going to win. Death. Death always wins in civil wars! :p

Nikolai – Thank you for coming along for the ride. It’s been an honor writing for you all, and I’d like to thank you (and all the old grognards) for sticking with this story for so long… as well as for all your input, comments, praise and advice! *salutes*

Hm. I was wondering about something: You said you were modding EUIII for a continuation of Rome Arisen, but have you considered switching to CKII instead? It'll be much better at representing character relations, and it's got an improved modding system, AFAIK.