• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AWSOME!
I'm deeper in love with Gulliaume for each update, can't see how his and Andie's story can be wrapped up in only one update.
I'm sure the history book updates will be awsome but it feels hard to leave the narrative now when everything is so personal.
Awsome story arc, really awsome!

@ Leviathan07

I think you are overestimating Andi's power and underestimating just how big a deal this is. This is the middle ages, religion is serious buisness, and for an Emperor its even more serious. The Byzantines belived that when Konstantine won at the Milvian Bridge he sealed a pact between God and the Empire, if the common people or the army or anyone else comes to belive that Andi is breaking that pact, they are gonna turn on him instantly, its a matter of their duty to God himself.

@ Leviathan07

I think you are overestimating Andi's power and underestimating just how big a deal this is. This is the middle ages, religion is serious buisness, and for an Emperor its even more serious. The Byzantines belived that when Konstantine won at the Milvian Bridge he sealed a pact between God and the Empire, if the common people or the army or anyone else comes to belive that Andi is breaking that pact, they are gonna turn on him instantly, its a matter of their duty to God himself.

Milvian bridge is ancient history even to a 14th century Byzantine :)

And I think *you* underestimate how difficult it is to rebel against a ruler who has an army of professional killers in plate armor at his disposal... (the Musulmanoi)

Many nobles will rise but many more will not. What the commoners think is really not that important in the grand scheme of things, their fury burns hot but it will subside quickly once the Musulmanoi tear them to shreds.

And remember Andi isn't reneging on his faith or anything, he's still a devout Christian (or claims to be one), he just happens to want crave the church's material wealth.

The empire had its "closet heathen" emperors before, guys like Gabriel who were denounced as a full blown apostates by the church, and even they weren't swept away by popular fury. They were defeated on the battlefield, by professional troops, not angry mobs.

If Andy still possesses a decent propaganda machine outside the church it is entirely possible for him to convince a sufficient amount of people that this is in fact about the Patriarchs being greedy for the gold Andy is taking, which is something wordly and thus not something the church should be concerned about in the first place. If he is really good he might even pull a stunt similar to when the Swedish king decided to go protestant and looted the church for all it had, angry mobs and excommunications galore, and broke the temporal power of the church in the north. Even back in the day you will find people were much more concerned by practical things than theology.

Yes the Milvian Bridge is ancient history, but its effects are not: To the Byzantines their empire was ordained by God and the Emperor was Gods own chosen regent, BUT just as God withdrew his favor from Saul and gave it to David, so too could he withdraw his favor from the Emperor, this is important because in a very real sense it means that the mere fact that you succed in overthrowing an Emperor means that God is now with you. So the effects of Konstantines pact with God are still very real even at this time in our story.

As for Gabriel, he had the support of his own people, many of whom were muslims, and propperly the support of the Persian Church as well, so I dont think the two sitiuations are entirely parralel.

Yes the Muslulmanoi are formidable, but they are also alone and surrounded by people who hates them, and they are heavily outnumbered. Sure they could propperly put down any popular revolt in the City, if noone else intervenes on behalfs of the people. If they do that however it will likely only weaken Andis position, using forreigners against ones own population is always gonna be very unpopular.

The idea that the church should stay away from worldly affairs is a modern one and would propperly be considered ridiculous by the common people. This is long before the enlightenment and any ruler actually attacking the Church as an institution is asking for trouble.

Finially I doubt Andi can count on the army to support him here, even if the officers are willing and I dont think they would be, the common soldier is not gonna be willing to risk eternal damnation by opposing the Patriarch unless he can be convinced that it is the Patriarch who is acting against the will of God.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for their kind words, but there is one, last narrative update I want to put up for you all. In the coming days I'll have proper replies for everyone, I promise, but I thought you all might like to see the end of an era first...

“5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them...” - Genesis 6: verses 5-7.

July 22nd, 1340

Toghrul Khan, Amir al-Amirin, Commander in Chief of the Armies of Faraud, self-consciously ran a hand over his silvered parade helm. Yes, it was straight. Yes, it was sitting properly. Another trace of fingers showed his plumes were, indeed, where they were supposed to be. The son of the chief of the Kazakh Horde, Toghrul was normally not one for fastidiousness—he’d made his reputation and gained his rank through daring, improvisation, and loyalty to the Shahkhan’s come what may. But today was no normal day.

Today was the day when Faraud, that polygot of Persian, Mongol, and Turkish people, rose from the afterthought of the world and soared to heights yet undreamed. Today was the day when all those hours of worry, all those days of fret, when other nations decided her fate, were long forgotten. That past was recent, close, but would be brushed away by the broom of history.

Faraud had been lucky.

Surrounded on all sides, led by an untested boy and laid low outside of Rayy, she had been weak, vulnerable, ripe for the plucking. Toghrul remembered those dark days—viziers and great men had feared the Turk might swing north to take easy pickings, or that the Khagan might decide to absorb He Zhong into his realm. Even the battered Blue Horde was a threat.
b
Oh, how he trembled in those hours, Toghrul smiled in retrospect, until the young one spoke.

Few had expected much of the new, young King. He was seventeen, barely a man, with scarcely a battle to his credit. Yet within the day of the word of his father’s death, the young man named ‘Iron’ showed the metal in his soul. When the leaders of the Kirgiz protested him bowing before Persian demands, he invited them to a banquet—and then executed them personally. He then took the lone army regiment that remained—the King’s Bodyguard, and rode to the herding grounds of the Kirgiz and ground them to dust. That broke the back of much dissent—all could see the price of disobedience.

He abandoned his father’s dreams of a Persian marriage for a more practical one with the Blue Horde, then ‘arranged’ for the death of his brothers-in-law and his election by kurultai to succeed his his father-in-law after the latter’s sudden demise. A few coins here and a well-placed dagger there yielded the bounties of Chagatai a few years later. Now, ten years after his ascension, he ruled not just as Shahkhan, but Khan of the Blue and Chagatai Hordes, as well as Lord of Sarai and Kashgar.

timurlandscopy.jpg

There was more than Timur’s cleverness and audacity that saved Faraud, of course. The Turks faced a particularly bloody uprising in the Ganges river valley. Persia, for some strange reason, seemed content to have Faraud as a vassal, no more. The Khagan’s lands were stricken by a great and terrible disease where men grew lumps from their groins and armpits, and black rashes covered their body. It sounded demonically painful, and devastating in scope. There were already rumors that it had appeared in Kashgar, but Kashgar was hundreds of miles away from Samarkand. Disease doesn’t spread that fast. We are fine for ten years at least, Toghrul told himself as he checked his bridle and other trimmings on his horse. There. Perfect. Nothing less for the future Lord of the World.

blackdeathcopy.jpg

There were rumors to the contrary, that the strange illness was rampaging through the forest tribes to the north, and even amongst the White Horde, but Toghrul didn’t put much stock in such rumors either. They were almost as useless as the repeated notices from the West—Andronikos deposed, him seizing the city, the Council declaring his nephew Anastasios Megas Komnenos, and his own son claiming Megas Komnenos—a paid scribe couldn’t keep track of who claimed that blasted title these days!

claimantsformegaskomnenoscopy.jpg

Besides, for Toghrul, Faraud, and shortly the rest of the East, the title Megas Komnenos would be irrelevant anyway…

It is strange, Toghrul thought, looking across the marshaling field at the plumes of helmets and the glint of steel, to think the crazy loons to the West paid for the lion’s share of this… Faraud was a small nation, rich in trade, but even supplemented by the Blue Horde and the Chagatai, she couldn’t have fielded an army of levies, tumen and sellswords this large by herself. It was Roman coin that had built his host—Roman coin from a distant man almost as obsessed with Persia as Toghrul’s master. A man under siege in his own capital by a multitude of hosts… maybe the fool should’ve have kept some of the generous stipends he sent us?

Generous those stipends had been—monies for recruiting, for arms and armor. Toghrul’s lord has spent that coin well, building contacts with tribes from the Great Lake to the Urals, and sellswords from Havigraes to Karakorum. The palms of Viceroys were greased, the Khagan was sent silver and medicine in lieu of soldiers. For five straight years the Lord of Faraud and Wang He Zong steadily built his forces, promising unbridled loot as pay, and unlimited glory as reward.

Baidar Khan had held to his honor, and brought the riders of the White Horde, while Uzbeg Khan led the King’s loyal riders from the Blue—four tumen, one here, the other three already in the south, ready to slash into Persia at the Shahkhan’s command. Kutlug had arrived, albeit late, with riders from Kashgar and the rest of Chagatai. Toghrul himself commanded the riders of Faraud, two tumen’s worth, strong and stern as the Khwarezm iron faced horsemen of old. There were levies from the forest tribes to the north, strong swordsmen from cities from Urgench to Kokand, javelineers and slingers from the hills and mountains of the south, Chinese engineers, Muslim napthateen, rocket carts, spearmen, and war machines great and small.

40,000 were here to see their Shahkhan declare war on his enemies. Another 60,000 were already in the field, to the south, ready to begin the war in earnest before his enemies were ready. It was, all told, perhaps the greatest host Samarkand had ever seen, the greatest army Faraud had ever fielded.

Nothing less for the future Lord of the World, Toghrul told himself yet again.

timursarmycopy.jpg

A shout rose from the left, then another voice, and another until a general hue and cry arose from the assembled ranks. Toghrul followed the gaze of his men, towards the balcony of the Azure Palace that looked over the Fields of War. The Amir al-Amirin couldn’t help but smile at the figure that stepped out.

Sidirios Borigijin-Komnenos, known as Timur, looked positively regal. Gone was the 17 year old boy, awkward in youth. In his place was a 27 year old monarch, a man who, despite his limp, walked into the view of his assembled host with the grace and power only a man who would master the world could possess. Robes of velvet, trimmed in tiger fur lined his shoulders, with golden clasps in the form of tigers, a brilliant ruby as each eye. His chest was covered in black enameled lamellar with gold etchings—blessings from the Mar Catholicos, no less, while bright golden chain armor glinted underneath. At his hip hung the ivory and jeweled hilt of his grandfather’s blade, a gift from Khagan Kublai Khan.

In his hand, Toghrul knew, he wanted to hold the world.

“Timur!” his soldiers bellowed, slamming the butts of their spears into the ground, stamping their feet. The earth quaked, and a rhythmic roar shook the air. “Timur!”

“My soldiers!” he roared over the noise and tumult. His voice reminded Toghrul of an ice covered waterfall he'd seen as a child, in the Ural Mountains—deep, with the power of water and winter coursing through and through.

“My soldiers,” a gloved hand raised to the sky, calling for quiet, “I, Sidirios Borijgin-Komnenos,” he called across out across the now silent mass, “have by trickery and deception, been denied my lawful rights, titles and honor! My rights, by birth and by the laws of God and man, have been trampled by those who would seek to aggrandize themselves! The witch Eirene, who calls herself Komnenos, has taken on herself the breeches and crown of a man in Isfahan, despite my legal and direct claim to the Throne of Gabriel!”

A rumbling roar of disapproval cascaded through the army, especially the contingents from Faraud. They remember the Isfahan Tax, Toghrul smirked. The then boy-king had decided to lay the entirety of Faraud's first year of tribute on the backs of the populace, and then aptly told them who demanded the money and why. Toghrul remembered courtiers complaining it would inflame the masses—and it did, but in exactly the way the Shahkhan wanted. People have a long memory. Five years on, the sting is still there...

“In the name,” the young king raised his hand to calm the crowd, starting again once the boos had quieted, “In the name of charity and peace, I have stayed my hand. For years, I have watched, in horror, as Persia has languished under the unforgiving yoke of a she-bear that seeks to make herself a lion! For years, I have watched, as the crown that lawfully belongs upon my head adorn her chancred and broken brow! For years, I have seen the blood, sweat and tears of you, my people, flow south into her greedy hands! Now, I say to you, no more!”

“No more!” Toghrul grinned as he raised his fist in the air, echoing the far angrier shouts of the gathered soldiers.

“I have consulted with learned men, prayed, and fasted. It has not been an easy decision, nor is it one that I leap at without careful thought and sound counsel. God has revealed to me, that it is my duty, nay, my obligation, that I take my rightful place as the lawful Shahanshah of Persia! Then, and only then, will my rights be secured! Then, and only then, will my people be safe!” With a quick yank, his grandfather’s sword was aloft, glinting in the sun of a new day.

A roar rose from the gathered army, the bellow of a beast hungry for plunder and spoils. Persia is only the start, Toghrul smiled as he raised his sword in salute. After Persia will be the Turks, then …

Sidirios Borijigin-Komnenos, known as Timur, was intent on securing all his claims—Persia through his mother, the Roman crown through his father, his title to Khagan through the same. He was 27, strong, cunning, with a great army and a wealthy country behind him. His eagle will soar high, and all of us will ride on his wings, Toghrul had said once before. Seeing him now, in full armor, sword aloft before his assembled army, the old Turk knew that truer words had never been spoken.

Amir al-Amirin!” the young King looked down to Toghrul, his face and eyes stone beneath a mass of chain and plate. “Muster the armies of Faraud and the horsemen of the Horde! We march to war!”

It was Toghrul’s turn to draw his blade, as he bellowed the cry that would soon become the shout of this Ever Victorious Army.

“Men of city and steppe! To war! To war!”

timurstaringcopy.jpg

==========*==========​

So Timur finally moves, as the Council vacillates between Anastasios and Petros, and ends up breaking itself apart, as well as widening the coming civil war... and this hasn't even begun to describe how many of the lesser dynatoi, unit commanders, etc. would react to the news that their emperor is excommunicated, and that the Church has named, mistakenly or otherwise, two claimants to replace him... This, my friends, brings an end to the vast majority of the narrative portion of Rome AARisen. Some parts of the what remains will be narrative, I have no doubt, but most of it will be recollection or retelling—not the actual events as they take place. Next update not only will take us 20 years into the future, but also start a new, final chapter... and with a new chapter comes a new chapter heading...

chaptertwentysevencopy.jpg

I feel a deep sadness, seeing that this is coming to an end. I feel a deep happiness and thankfulness for having been following this since the start. And I feel a deep eagerness for the continued ride! This is amazing, has been amazing and will till the end be amazing. A salute for the great General!:D

Why? Why?

Okay, so this can get finished somewhere near on time. And I would seriously like this civil war much better if I didn't know who's going to win (not saying who for the sake of readers who don't want to know).

Ahh, bittersweet ending. I do wonder how Guillaume got his council to fall apart this badly, but I guess we shall see with Timur and the various other Komnenoi on the march again. He might be the last hope for reuniting the Roman world, and he's decidedly non-roman.

I see lots of buboes in the future. And civil wars are just the thing to help them spread effectively...

The world is never ready for TIMUR!

All tough he is going to face stronger nations than historically I think. And that plague could quickly stop his conquest.

Does Andi II also hold the Balkans? With Constantinople, the Balkans and Greece, he has a good chance of defense against both Petros and Anastasios. The Egyptians can invade Africa and maybe even Italy- the Persians will have a field day in Anatolia and the Caucasus. The Crimea is now going to be Sortmark's lanf. Overall, I see the Balkans having the best shot- the City is well defended, the Hohenfrankens can be given independence in exchange for help, and Carthage-Sicily is in a bad position geopolitically. Egypt and Sortmark will have a field day with this, seeing as Eran will be fighting Temur.

Ahh the Rome AArisen Universe now has a civil war within a civil war with another war on top. Now everyone needs to die of the plague leaving the hundred year old Theodoros to return and rule the Empire as the last living Imperial Komenid.

I really think that the plague will stop Timur in his tracks, but I guess we will have to wait and find out!

TIMUR!!!!!! Yes!! I'll be routing for you in 1821 even if its only your ghost :)

And also go Petros, just because he is played by Rusell Crow. :D I don't think he will win, but im routing for him.

Does Andi II also hold the Balkans? With Constantinople, the Balkans and Greece, he has a good chance of defense against both Petros and Anastasios. The Egyptians can invade Africa and maybe even Italy- the Persians will have a field day in Anatolia and the Caucasus. The Crimea is now going to be Sortmark's lanf. Overall, I see the Balkans having the best shot- the City is well defended, the Hohenfrankens can be given independence in exchange for help, and Carthage-Sicily is in a bad position geopolitically. Egypt and Sortmark will have a field day with this, seeing as Eran will be fighting Temur.
The Hohenfranken are busy, all they'd give them in return for help would be the middle finger :p

Balkans look good but remember it's the poorest and least populated part of the empire. Anatolia is richer, mid east is richer & more populous to boot, Italy is richer & more populous - all that the Balkans have going for them is Thrace with the city of cities, Thessaloniki, and the Imperial fleet.

Timur is sooo going to rip through this like a knife through butter. The Roman feudal levies have NOTHING that can stop Timur's elite warriors, and the Musoulmanoi aren't going to be there to save the day. It's probably going to end with a grueling siege of Constantinople, and some 11th hour army arriving to save the say.

Nah, Timur will die of the plague. Or one lucky arrow.

Meanwhile, all the Komnemnoi will die off via natural causes (plague/knives in the back), leaving Guillaume to ascend to the position of Patriarch-Emperor!