• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that was a brainfull of new information. My first comment is: OH, NO. NOT AGAIN!. Please tell me that Andi isn't hearing voices too! And with so many heroic figures in the Komnenid family tree, why does it have to be the Mad Builder of all people?

I never had Skalites pegged as a religious man at all. In fact he looks more like a text-book psychopath to me. Killing off a relative only confirms this (I don't think it was an accident). My only question is what did he have to gain or hoped to avoid. Was the Patriarch's conscience starting to get to him? I was getting the impression that it was.

I can't say I feel sorry for du Roche. He was all about politics, and this time he got out-maneuvered. I do, on the other hand, feel sorry for Guillaume. While taking the Emperor off his treatment was a huge mistake, he's turned out to be the only skilled person that isn't trying to push his own agenda. He seems genually concerned about the good of the Church and the Empire rather than his own power. But as both Patriarch AND Megaskyromachos he will have more influence than even Albrecht could have dreamed of. And there will be MANY who will resent him for that. He's about to go out onto some very thin ice.

Timur is and certainly an interesting character to watch, but for now all he has is potential. How that potential will evolve remains to be seen.

Overall, for me this ranks among some of your best updates, so congratulations! :)

Those combined titles might very well become d'Ockham's death sentence. Nice description of the political situation and society in general in Faraud. It's not that long anymore before we get to see more of Timur?

One thing stood out to me in the update, it looks like Andronikos II has successfully created the Janissary Corps of the Ottoman Empire, with his Muslim soldiers. Poor Guillame I dont think he will live much longer.

Sidirios isn't too wise for his age! What is this devilry. Also, did he have to be lame? I mean, ok, he's a historic persona, but he doesn't need to have the same nickname...

Yes, I'm not ok with that because he needs to be perfect. :D

Well you see if he's a cripple the fact that he kills everybody is even more amazing like the real Timur :D. Or on the other hand you could have an Alexander the Great type person who is perfect in every way. Which is better?

Last edited:
That kind of concentration of power is almost horribly comical. Or comically horrible. Anyway, horror, laughter.

I can just see Thomas the Mad Builder's ghost wandering Constantinople, gesticulating wildly in front of buildings that aren't sound, or maybe need more buttresses. It sounds completely believable, too.

That kind of concentration of power is almost horribly comical. Or comically horrible. Anyway, horror, laughter.

I can just see Thomas the Mad Builder's ghost wandering Constantinople, gesticulating wildly in front of buildings that aren't sound, or maybe need more buttresses. It sounds completely believable, too.
oh god. You just reminded me of the Mad Builder's demise. Sad and haunting.

Wonder how long Guillaume will last in his new role. His personal morales will demand that he stand up against his increasingly deranged friend.

Whats the apostolic status of the Seat of St. Peter? Didn't see Rome among the Patriarchies? Speaking of that, asny chance of an update about the cities of the Empire(s)?

Whats the apostolic status of the Seat of St. Peter? Didn't see Rome among the Patriarchies? Speaking of that, asny chance of an update about the cities of the Empire(s)?

Seeing as Rome was a backwater even before the conquest, now it has to be pretty much ruins ruled directly by the Emperor out of sentiment. It's definetely not important enough to host a patriarchate.

Well you see if he's a cripple the fact that he kills everybody is even more amazing like the real Timur :D. Or on the other hand you could have an Alexander the Great type person who is perfect in every way. Which is better?

Depends on the person I guess. :D

Uh giving two vital positions in the Empire to perhaps the only honest man left?

I give him 2 months at most.

It only makes sense that we should see a cleric as an imperial #2. The other court positions have already had their go.

Thomas I had a spymaster.
Thomas II had a chancellor.
Andronikos I had a marshal.
Andronikos II has a lord spiritual. :p

Enjoyed the update very much.

Reactions:
Seeing as Rome was a backwater even before the conquest, now it has to be pretty much ruins ruled directly by the Emperor out of sentiment. It's definetely not important enough to host a patriarchate.

Even if its a backwater of a city, its the city the Empire is named after, the seat of St. Peter and St Paul and one of the most holy cities in Christendom. Also, its conquest by Thomas I was a great symbol of the superiority of the Orthodox church over the Catholic church. The very fact Rome is Rome makes it important IMO.

i just realised I had yet to comment on this update.
Great seeing Timur and I feel more and more sorry for poor d'Ockham... But the conflict between the patriaarchates should be interesting. Does this mean the ordhodox church is still gaining ground in all the komnemid world except for Egypt?
And what happened to the papacy in exile, and to the Swedish empire?
We really need a update on the state of the world dear general =)

So Thomas Becket/Henry II or will there be a happier ending?