• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent update. I like the direction you've taken the characters.

Question, what do the Muslims in Leonine Africa (i.e. Cyrencia and Tunisia) or Gabrieline Persia think about:

1. Aionism's ascendance in Egypt
2. Muslim (Sunni, yeah?) liberation of Jerusalem and the prospect of liberating Mecca and Medina

Finally, I just noticed that the Leonine Kommenids appear to have a firm grasp on the Kingdom of Naples...making me wonder if in the future we'll see:

Napoleon Kommenus

Dum dum DUM

Bah, damned Romans, you prove the words of Taqi a-din ibn Taymiyya as fact every day you remain divided, squabbling amongst yourselves over an Empire you must KNOW is just too big to govern, and is now too deeply divided to be saved. The only hope for Rome is, and has always been, Theodoros, Lord of the Sands, Holy Knight of God and Savior of Rome, and his 500 riders, who shall thunder through the Holy Land and top the efforts of even Basil in smashing these upstart Muslims![/delusionsandwishfulthinking]

Yes. Like lutheranism and calvinism are reformed versions of catholicism. But does that mean catholicism ceased to exist when the two appeared?

It's just I got the impression earlier that "old" islam was marginalized with the advent of aionism. Conquering half the ME doesn't sound much like marginalizing.:) And who was Aionism's Paulus again then? I thought it was mentioned that Tayyi would become that. Seems I got confused somewhere.

It's just I got the impression earlier that "old" islam was marginalized with the advent of aionism. Conquering half the ME doesn't sound much like marginalizing.:) And who was Aionism's Paulus again then? I thought it was mentioned that Tayyi would become that. Seems I got confused somewhere.

Tayyi did go see the Timeless One in Jeddah, but you later find out that Tayyi pronounced his teaching lies, hearsy, blah, blah, blah. Mabey thats what you were thinking of.

Okay I guess Theodoros gave up in his fail campaign... though now he has the chance to redeem himself and defeat the Muslims with his 500 Brave Companions! Anyway interesting setup, however I would love to see an update dedicated to these breakaway nations/factions.

Awesome update as always, BT! Islam Strikes Back, literally. Also, I've started reading the AAR from the beginning again, and a few things made me chuckle; first, the fact how ridiculously much your writing and graphics have improved since then. You were good back then, but you've grown to superb since then. Second, the comments on the first updates, regarding Demetrios' reign; "Woah mate, this is some really deep intrigue!" :D

And then you respond a few comments below "You may think this is deep, but it's very simply compared to what's coming during the reigns of his descendants." Words of a prophet indeed!

vadermath - :rofl: Back when I wrote that, I believe the original plan was still in effect--to stop writing narrative with Demetrios' death and go history book after that point! Oh how things have changed!

JacktheRipper21 - I won't say much, except that for Theodoros fans, he will be making an appearance next update. Won't say what happens to him though! :D

wolfcity - Exactly. Taymiyya as a child heard al-Hinnawi speak, and that scene ended with him wanting to ask al-Hinnawi questions. Considering Taqi's first military experience was fighting against Aionites in Mesopotamia, clearly al-Hinnawi's explanations were lacking. :)

Nikolai - I'm not sure if anyone ever mentioned Aionism having a Paulus... I know there were comments that Prince Isaakios of Egypt had parallels to being Aionism's Constantine (a comparison that, so far, has panned out), but I don't think there was quite a St. Paul figure. Perhaps the preacher who introduced Aionism to Prince Isaakios (can't think of his name off the top of my head).

Vesimir - For the purposes of comparison, it's a decent statement, though not fully accurate. The more appropriate comparison would be if Lutheranism not just sought sola scriptura but also claimed that Luther had taken the mantle of 'Prophet' (or Son of God, take your pick) from Jesus. Obviously Christians everyone would have serious problems with such a new faith. It's the same reaction for Muslims in this timeline regarding Aionism... al-Hinnawi claimed he was Mohammed's successor, a HUGELY blasphemous statement to Muslims...

OpenBlueJoe – Welcome to the story! Like I mentioned, Theodoros and his band of 500 (I can see the comic book turned into movie versions now) will be appearing next update. The big question is, will they be showing up alone, or part of a larger army, or will Theodoros be leading the force himself? Can he regain his honor after the disastrous campaign of the past nine years? More to come next Rome AARIsen! :)

Bagricula - Considering the length of Roman occupation, a part of me almost wonders how cut off Leonine and Mahgrebian Muslims might be from events further east. They're almost closer influence wise to the ultra-conservative Muslims center building in Mali, and there are definite parts of Taymiyyism that the orthodox Sunni could not like, especially Taymiyya's version of 'sola scriptura' of sorts. Once the dust settles, alot will depend on how far west Taymiyya can get. If he can reach these areas, I'd expect his wild successes would help his words catch fire there. If not, he might be viewed with scepticism, perhaps even distrust...

AlexanderPrimus -Thank you for the kind words as always! Hopefully the next udpate doesn't have nearly as long a gestation period! :)

Baldor Arbanus – Welcome to the story! Well, if Aionism wants to have a place to root, Egypt is the place. It's strategically located, as well as comparatively easy to defend, plentiful local resources and it sits across trade routes for easy missionary access elsewhere. Not a bad starting point. At this point, Egypt is too big for Taymiyya to take on, and he knows it. He's hoping successes elsewhere can build up his strength... and if he takes out Egypt, watch out!

The_Archduke – There's a real tug of priorities now in Christendom—namely, how much do the various Roman factions trust each other to all jointly turn their blades to the Levant? The temptation to let your neighbor go, then strike while he is away would be high... but not as high as everyone looking over their shoulders at their neighbors, wondering if just those thoughts were running through neighborly minds. In Latin Europe, there isn't nearly as strong a Papacy to attempt to bind factional rivalries enough to make a grand Crusade. Much will be left up to individual lords and their initiative. We'll see where that goes!

Calipah – Thanks for hitting the clarification for everyone!

Zzzzz... – At some point they might get updates of their own. For now, there'll definitely be status updates as things go on. This civil war is yet another point where there's so much going on in the world I have to force myself to stay focused on several key areas, unfortunately to the detriment of telling other, equally interesting stories...

Qorten – Considering the luck the Makrinokomnenoi have had with Alexios, they might be wishing they could flee to the Carribbean!

Leviathan07 – Well, once we get into EU3, whoever holds Spain would be in a prime position to begin colonization early. A great deal with depend on if the Spanish Romans can break free of their gaze on Konstantinopolis quickly enough, before other Europeans fill the gap...

...and no airship, sorry! Lol

ZwolscheStudent & BraidsMAmma – I'd be interested in seeing this PDF too! I believe I Pmed my email to you, Braids?

WelshDude – So I have seen! Speaking of which, here's a brief reading list for people who are bored waiting for the next update—these are some of the AARs I'm reading right now:

A Komnenos AARisen – Started by WelshDude. It's a brand new AAR!

A Conspiracy of Ravens -by ZwolscheStudent. Timely, considering Game of Thrones just finished airing here in the States. It's a treat... there's a great deal of updates finished already!

The Morea, a Paleologid AAR – An old one, but a good one. Crusaderknight just updated recently, and I know I”m not alone in eagerly awaiting what happens next!

There are tons of other good AARs in CK and the rest of the board as well. Make sure to check them out!

von Sachsen – I think that was Thomas the Popekiller who got headaches... I think... it's been so long I don't remember for sure...

Ivan Rogov – I'm not sure I get that one... four lights?

Siind – Well, Sbyslava has done far better for herself than any foreign-born Empress in real Byzantine history, considering she went from exile to forcing her son on the throne! She has the skills, the big adjustment she has to make now is the same for any parent—moving from controller to counselor, though in her case, in sync with her son's development so Romanion is not left without a helmsman as he grows and learns his place in the state. A challenging task, to say the least!

armoristan – A lot will depend on how much she clings to power, versus ceding it bit by bit to her son... as well as how patient/impatient he is with the process! :)

Kirsch27 – Well, once her son becomes of age, she loses the Regent title—can she stay on his good side long enough to become a Power Behind the Throne is a better question. Or will Andronikos II even tolerate a PBT?

Talking of the next update, how's it going? :D

Hypocrite, I know. And BTW, I think the CK AAR forum page is one of the most embarrassing things that's ever occured to me.

Top of the list:
Rome AARisen, Replies: 6,307, Views: g31,376

Next:
A Komnenos AARisen, Replies: 20, Views: 482

It's no wonder there's so little activity in the CK forum. Anyone new to it is either too busy reading Rome AARisen or have given up and are now too scarred to try the rest of the forum!

I'm still hoping that English will be, well English. It appears that Aionism is, like the Cathari Heresy. It doesn't have too much time left, if you ask me. But I'm still looking forward to the Mali Empire eventually challenging Rome!:cool:

I think the reports of Aionism's doom are greatly exaggerated. I expect Egypt at least to stay Aionite. In fact, I think Aionism has a far greater chance of surviving than the Muslims have of keeping Jerusalem.

I think the reports of Aionism's doom are greatly exaggerated. I expect Egypt at least to stay Aionite. In fact, I think Aionism has a far greater chance of surviving than the Muslims have of keeping Jerusalem.
That's true. They need a safe haven like what the Aionites did.

Who cares about a Dance with Dragons, we have Rome beeping AARisen!

Ummm... anybody who's read it! :D

No offence to BT, but I think GRRM has stopped anyone but a lunatic making any assumptions or predictions.

In fact, BT, is the book what's delaying your updates?

I don't think I got a PM from you BT.
Try sending me another one or e-mail me at eke[at]albykollektivet.se

ZwolscheStudent I guess that counts as a premission to e-mail it to you aswell, send me an e-mail and I'll reply with the first chapters!

Capetians re-taking France a possibility due to the current Chaos? It could add a third or fourth kingdom to expand into the America's, Also I sense the HRE will be reformed by the Von Frankens, since they effectively hold the Crown of Italy at the moment. Also what happened to the Bohemians in Finland?

I doubt the Capetians would make such a risky gamble, seeing as they would probably get attacked by Alba immediately after they attempted to turn their attention elsewhere; Plus I doubt they even have the manpower.

Capetians re-taking France a possibility due to the current Chaos? It could add a third or fourth kingdom to expand into the America's, Also I sense the HRE will be reformed by the Von Frankens, since they effectively hold the Crown of Italy at the moment. Also what happened to the Bohemians in Finland?

The Capetians in Angleterre are quite busy fending off the Scots, remember?

France is large enough that any of the local dynasties could probably emerge and unite the realm. They don't really need the Capets, who renounced the French crown (under duress) back when Nikephoros kicked their behinds all the way to the channel coast and beyond.