• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Registerred in these forums to do what I should've done a long time ago: comment on this epic, unbelievably awesome AAR.

I admit, I've been lurking as a guest reading this AAR (and others, but mostly this one) for... maybe two years now, constantly being inspired by General_BT's writing to attempt my own bids for awesome in Deus Vult as the Byzantines, only for those endeavors to mostly fall flat on their faces a few decades or so in. I don't know how you did it, getting as far as you did in game, and in fact refraining from more gamey tactics like WC for RP purposes, but for what you've done so far, I salute you.

Throughout this AAR, I've had favorites and enemies. My favorite Emperor remains and will probably always be Basil, with Manuel (the first one, not this one who humorously choked on an olive) as a close second (yeah, big shockers there), with Thomas I and the other non-Kommenoi emperors as my least favorites, though not through any lack of quality on your part. They were so well written that I loved them for being such despicable villains. I also love how, even with the most noble of characters, you nonetheless give them enough faults to notably tarnish their otherwise shining auras.

But above all, you've made me a fanatical supporter for Rome AARisen's Byzantine Empire, no matter who is at the helm, I always want Rome to survive the perils and challenges it faces and come out stronger than ever. I know it is destined to fall apart, and grudgingly accept that, but only if it is written in a quality unmatched by what you've done so far. And considering the fact that, throughout this AAR, your writing quality has done nothing but improve with each update, I look forward to the inevitable with a mixture of dread and anticipation.

Short, Non-Gushy Fanboy Version: You rock, your AAR is awesome, and I eagerly await the next update.

I'm still rooting for Theodoros!

dvd-dune-fremen.jpg

Theodoros and Leo Ally as Co-Emperors against the evil axis of Sortmark, Spain, Anatolia, Egypt, well everywhere that is not North Africa and Italy?

Now I feel bad for abandoning Theodoros...

Can we have stats for Manuel, Leo, Isaakios (what's he doing by the way? Isn't he King of Persia, and presumably therefore Alexandros's heir?), Theodoros, Skjalm... and everyone else?

Panjer - How this all went down in game (this is from memory, as my image files, a.k.a. notes, prior to the 1340s/50s were lost in the computer crash): Andronikos I died in 1397, and Nikephoros inherited, and was ill most of his reign. There were a few spotty rebellions (maybe 5 or 6 between 1297 and 1304). A year and a half before he died, his wife became pregnant, and very soon after (a month? maybe less?) he developed the leprosy trait if I remember right. 1304 he died, leaving the throne to six month old David.

Once again there were some rebellions, and handsome amounts of my obsene treasury were handed out to minimize that. David in game reigned barely six months before dying in infancy, and his uncle Andronikos inherited, aged 14. Once again, there were a smattering of rebellions, but delving into the hoard of money built up over Andronikos I's reign and prior (a century of 600+ gold/month tends to do that) softened the blow again. Three reigns ending in such a short time actually made a small dent, however.

The idea of a civil war was first, more interesting than a simple inheritence, and second, gave some coherence to the slew of small annoyance rebellions, where count here and count there each decide to simultaneously commit suicide-by-liege. A civil war also worked well for story purposes... the empire needed to reveal its creaking age and enormous cracks. In game, that didn't happen-it was a rather sudden, complete rupture into a multitude of parts. The civil war's purpose is to help give these parts the identity and coherence they'd need as well to justify potentially long-term existence in EU3. Oh, and the civil war gave a chance for the brothers to show of their true Komnenid side: In game Manuel sat on as spymaster through Nikephoros' reign and died during David's short run, while Leo replaced a rebellious prince in Calabria, Alexios took Galicia, and Theodoros joined the rebellion suicides from Leptis Magna. Instead of merely being side-members shuffled off to fill vacancies, they're full rulers, acting, plotting, causing trouble and making a far more interesting story. :)

WelshDude - Some of their stats have already been placed in the AAR. I know for a fact Manuel's was, as well as Isaakios of Persia, as well as Isaakios of Egypt. For Leo, if they haven't been placed yet, I doubt they're going to be: I lost my CK savegames during the computer crash (I haven't even reinstalled CK yet), so I can't load them up to do stat hunting. I have a late pic of Andronikos II's stats I can extrapolate from if necessary, but that's about it. I'll try to post estimated stats when I get the chance, but they'll be conjecture.

Isaakios is indeed King of Persia, actually Autokrator, as he was promoted by his brother when Alexandros took Konstantinopolis. He was busy--he's the one that sent Taymiyya's men to India to fulfill his alliance obligations to the Turks, and installed Taymiyya's friend as governor of Mesopotamia. This coming chapter deals extensively with Taymiyya, so we'll get a chance to see why Isaakios did these things, and more of what's going on in Persia/the Middle East.

JacktheRipper21 - If Theodoros had any sense, he'd probably try to kneel before Leo as quickly as possible. The Godwinsons have already hammered him to bits, and he's hiding out in a tiny corner of his former domain. There's not much to abandon when you're realm consists of the oasis you're currently living at. :rofl: He's still running around, the question is, for how long?

OpenBlueJoe - First of all, welcome to the forums! While you wait for the next update, take a look around, there are tons of great AARs floating around to pass the time by. Thank you for your kind words--Part of the reason the empire became so unstoppable was that, even at this point, I was still playing vanilla CK. I didn't upgrade until the game itself was in the 1350s or so (about the same cutoff for the one directory of screenshots that got saved), and in vanilla, there was a very definite tipping point where income was so high that you could afford to bribe your way out of most trouble with the nobility. The Byzantines in my game passed that point oh, about a hundred years before where we're at. The one sticking point that made things harder was that you weren't allowed to forcibly re-vassalize a rebellious noble as a condition of peace--you could let them go or annex them, with the full penalty for annexing a Chrisitan applied. It really steered you to bribing people off to save the headache.

I hope you do like the events coming down the line--Taymiyya, Andronikos II on the throne, Leo, Alexios, Sortmark, everything that's about to happen! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas!

wolfcity - Manuel was crowned... he was Megas Komnenos as of the death of David, so one update, or a few months story time. And good catch, I'll have to edit to correct the date (the first section should've been 1303). And you're right, things are VERY busy in the civil war, with people gutting each other left and right. I can promise that by the end of the coming chapter, there will be some clarity of sorts. It might not be the clarity everyone wants, however..

Bagricula - I've already noticed him, and by people's responses, I'm going to almost have to do an interim on him at some point (unless there are volunteers who want to write one a la AlexanderPrimus? :D . Just have to decide what it'll be about and what he'll be doing... (conquering the world of course? :rofl:)

Well, Andronikos I was a recapitulation of Basil in some ways, but a very twisted one. I won't spoil anyone with whether Andronikos II will be a recapitulation of anyone, or something entirely new. I think, though, everyone will enjoy the ride that's coming. :)

Isabella was probably Manuel's one huge gaffe. He was too busy to actually send someone up to Sortmark to make sure she was dead, but he was right--her memory was a pull on du Roche, turning him north. The lie itself wasn't that bad... considering life in the medieval period, it wouldn't be reasonable to assume she was, if not dead, betrothed or married to someone else by that point... effectively dead, as far as Roland's romantic inclinations were concerned. Sbyslava is good, and complex--she and Roland have came to one accord right now, but we can already see she doesn't trust him, and if he has any sense, he won't trust her, and the two will be doing their careful dance of trust-distrust all around an underage emperor. Should be an interesting time.

As for Egypt... :D

Zzzzz... - It was high time in the story someone talented suffered an underwhelming death. These things happen--the choice in my mind was whether disease would do it, or something else. Something else won, and one of the greatest what-ifs in Roman history takes place because of an olive...

Vesimir - Um, the Muslims are the majority in Persia. Kind of hard to keep them out since they're already there. :rofl: Gottfried might be a little old to accomplish such a thing, but his sons and grandsons are in the perfect position to make a strike north sould they choose to do so...

asd21593 - Chance. Fate. The minefield of life that sometimes causes the best laid plans to collapse under the weight of a feather. In other words, plot. :D

BraidsMAmma - Sure, you can use the story for your paper! I'm rather flattered that it's fit for referencing!

cezar87 - LOL I completely forgot about that little Easter egg! Sufficce to say, no, that didn't inspire it though. Manuel possibly could've done something. He'd had only a few months in power himself to begin courting Bataczes or von Franken to intervene. It might have cost him a pound of flesh to get them to, but it's possible... and if either did, the Danes would've been in a bad way quickly. From there, he likely would've spent some time consolidating his position, building an army, before moving to secure Syria, as well as the Danube area, before going for Egypt. Once that took place, he'd have sheer mass on his side when he turned West. Could he have reunited the empire before he died? Considering his age and ability (he died at 32), there's a chance... certainly a better one than Alexandros.

Calipah - Try Arabic, yes? Transliteration of course.

AlexanderPrimus - Yes, a poignant lesson in why we should all chew our food properly before swallowing. :p Like I said, it was high time for a meaningless death tor a major character in their prime.

RGB - All Beleoozero has done is have a memorable name and a far away location relative to Constantinople. And if mini-pretzels had been invented, well, I can think of several Komnenoi who might've choked on them...

TC Pilot - I don't think any other Komnenoi have died from choking on an olive... maybe I'm forgetting parts myself. And yes, you're thinking of Bardas, who was literally caught with his pants down.

Leviathan07 - No, the civil war becomes even muddier now, since there are tens of thousands of Danes now at the core of the Empire installing a boy that they plan to use (or many people will probably fear they plan to use) as a puppet. You've got Taymiyya going on in the Middle East, you've got the Syrians in a full scale war against each other, Spain in its own full scale civil war--only in Egypt and the middle is clarity taking place. Leo seems well on his way to consolidating a realm of his own, and Egypt is blissfully marching towards an Aionite future, barring massive outside interference.

Taymiyya I expect to be a polarizing figure--some people will like him, some won't. Either way, he should be fun to follow as he makes his grand entrance on the story's stage.

armoristan - Yes a killer olive has struck! All martinis beware!

vadermath - 'Jerusalems' was not a typo. It was intentional. Interpretations, go! And Gottfried has done incredibly well for himself. He's now a kingmaker, and his own children are in excellent position to move northwards should the opportunity rise. Albrecht would've been proud, if probably still disapproving...

Enewald - Is he stupid? He's gone from being the second to a very capable many to the second to a foreigner (Sbsylava), with a foreign army, in the middle of Constantinople. The walk from second to first could be far shorter for him, especially if the Danes wear out their welcome in the city... committing with Sbyslava was a huge gamble on his part, one whose odds became far more reasonable once an olive struck. :)

Qorten - I think everyone thought he had a violent death coming, or at least, a death worthy of a Komnenoi. So I went for the completely unexpected, and let a fruit (or are olives vegetables) do the dirty deed... :D

Nikolai - I don't think Manuel expected do die so quickly either!

Carlstadt Boy - Well, it's gone on for one chapter, but timeline wise, it's only been 1298-1304. Six years.

No update this week--I'm visiting friends and my parents for the Fourth of July weekend here in the United States. Next week, however, I'll be back to writing, and hopefully there'll be an update finished by midweek! Have a good weekend, everyone, and Happy Fourth of July to the American readers out there!

And a Happy Independence Day to you sir. o>

Makes sense it's partly because of Vanilla CK you got as far as you did. No BB for conquering Muslims and Pagans = Ridiculous swathes of territory taken from heathens. Of course, needing your ruler and/or anonymous commanders making the captures (for easier distribution of "liberated" lands) is an irritating trade-off alongside not being able to revassalize rebellious pains in the ass.

Still, Vanilla or not, I find it immensely impressive you've held things together for this long, being as ponderous as your empire is, and further, that you've coaxed a novel worthy AAR out of it. I'm going to assume in-game by this point the map of Europe is a ridiculous mess of colors worthy of a 3-year old's painting?

(Also, found a new current favorite for the throne: Theodoros. He'll never get it, but damned if his lack of coverage, and success, doesn't stop me from supporting him. A man that insanelyaudacious must be a worthy Emperor)

Interesting how everyone on the forum was either in Manuel or Alexandros' camp and you killed both off in the span of three updates. When are we going to get a world update? I want to know what is happening in Scotland.

I think we'll see Sybaslava quickly ousted from the City as well, Byzantines don't much care for foreign Emperors/Empresses, and everyone knows Sybaslava will act as 'Regent' only in name.

As far as the Empress goes, don't be surprised if her tenure as Regent is either..."cut" sort...ahem... or a little too long....regardless don't be expecting a stellar job and a happy empire!

Happy 4th my fellow countrymen/women! Until the next update, have fun and don't text while driving!!!

Happy 4th all! Just got back from the old Qing dynasty American legation for a bbq.There's nothing like living overseas to induce patriotism.

I know it would be against the general decline theme, but I really hope the Dowager Empress turns out to be an effective and selfless administrator more in the mold of Albrecht, preparing the ground for Andronicus II...I'm tired of women being either ineffectual or corrupt (counting Sophie as being ultimately ineffectual compared to Manual, Mehtar, Albrecht, or Andronicus I).

If only you were British... not nearly as many festivals...

Happy 4th all! Just got back from the old Qing dynasty American legation for a bbq.There's nothing like living overseas to induce patriotism.

I know it would be against the general decline theme, but I really hope the Dowager Empress turns out to be an effective and selfless administrator more in the mold of Albrecht, preparing the ground for Andronicus II...I'm tired of women being either ineffectual or corrupt (counting Sophie as being ultimately ineffectual compared to Manual, Mehtar, Albrecht, or Andronicus I).

I agree, but frankly Im not too optimistic about it, she strikes me as a bit of a Cixi type character, not that I can tell you why she does, just a feeling!

I agree, but frankly Im not too optimistic about it, she strikes me as a bit of a Cixi type character, not that I can tell you why she does, just a feeling!

Ah, but if she foreshadows Cixi...will it be a massive stone dromon, or some even more fantastic extravagance? How about an airship for the Constantinopolitan crème de la crème to throw their supper scraps down on the starving rabble?

If she's an evil Dowager Regentess, I hope she's at least evil with style. It's been too many years since Thomas the "I-just-get-these-headaches" Kommenos.

THERE! ARE! FOUR! LIGHTS!!

(sorry, couldn't resist :p )

Romanion has always been allied with Sortmark and at war with Persia. It says so right beneath the chestnut tree.

Have any psychological torture, sleeper agents, or other mind-controlly goodness so far?

If she's an evil Dowager Regentess, I hope she's at least evil with style. It's been too many years since Thomas the "I-just-get-these-headaches" Kommenos.

Was that Thomas "Pope-Killer" Komnenos or Thomas "Thirteen and half Oranges" Komnenos?

Was that Thomas "Pope-Killer" Komnenos or Thomas "Thirteen and half Oranges" Komnenos?

Your choice. Don't forget Thomas "Never saw a flying buttress he didn't love" Kommenos!

Ah, but if she foreshadows Cixi...will it be a massive stone dromon, or some even more fantastic extravagance? How about an airship for the Constantinopolitan crème de la crème to throw their supper scraps down on the starving rabble?

An airship is actually an awesome idea!!

Just think about how choniclers would write it down, describing the event as best as they could, and just one generation later no one would believe it any more. "Yeah that chronicle... come one, we all know Georgios of Nicomedia was into mushrooms, he just made that story up! A flying chariot, what's that supposed to be?? Clearly old Georgois just had some sort of epiphany and made a good story out of it."

And then four centuries pass until the next time someone tries to build a balloon. Historians would put down Empress Sbyslava as just another power mad mediocrity, while her awesome balloon ride gets totally forgotten by all but us AAR readers :D